What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Did You Throw Out Your Census Form?

When I went to school overseas, I was the dumb American because I was pretty much the only mono-lingual student at the international school. Much of the basically educated world is at least bi-lingual. Read cultured and educated on world affairs. Americans learn their geography through wars. What a tragedy of a great philosophical experiment. Maybe it's not over. We shall see.

People are just people. This is not your country anyway. It belongs to a racist Anglo-Saxon elite. This country is a f'ing hate machine.

No one was stopping you from learning a second language when growing up. You chose not to. Blame yourself, not the system. Not Uncle Sam's fault you were too lazy to pick up a book.

Why don't you stop to think: they learn multiple languages out of necessity. With such a close proximity to so many countries, you are going to do business with each other constantly, it can't be avoided. You have to be able to communicate to make money. Funny how all of them speak English.

An overwhelming majority of business any of us do every day is with other Americans. Over in Europe they do business with people from different countries constantly all day.

GryphN

Yeh, I'm another one who answered the basics and plead the 5th on the rest... Get out of my life Mr. Government. :p

SpasticGramps

Don't Drone Me, Bro!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The guy's a dedicated anti-American ideologue, but we should take his advice on how to run America.

I'm anything but anti-American lol. I just hate fascism and am able to look at my country with an international perspective and I call it like I see it. I'm betting history will be one my side. The idealism of America was hijacked a long time ago and replaced with the illusion you are living in now.

Historically speaking, perpetual War machines are not a place where freedom is found. I love my country more than you will ever know. There are a lot of nasty implications that come along with living in a military dictatorship. The failure to extrapolate these implications is the cause the prevailing conventional wisdom today in this country.

And that wisdom is starting to fail all around you.

:tiphat:

ben ttech

i filled it out for the family i live with...
said there were 20 mexicans living here...

a good deed for the local clinics...

RetroGrow

Veteran
Before you answer the door for the census guy, read this:
"Man killed in home invasion after suspect poses as census worker".

http://www.khou.com/news/local/Fake-census-worker-invades-home-kills-owner-93242534.html

HOUSTON—A man was killed and his family members beaten after three suspects barged into a north Houston home Saturday afternoon, police said.

Investigators said one of the suspects pretended to be a census worker to gain entry into the house, located in the 400 block of Truman.

Family members said the victim’s son opened the door for the suspects, believing they were with the census.

Larry Johnson Jr., the nephew of the victim, said the suspects tied up and beat his cousin and aunt after barging into to the home.

Johnson said his uncle, Reginald "Pete" Haynes, walked in on the crime and was ambushed.

"They tied him up and stabbed him and tried to submerge him in water," Johnson said.

Haynes later died at the hospital.

Family members said the men ransacked the house for two hours.

"They were looking for money and my aunt gave them everything that they had and it wasn’t enough for them," Johnson said.

Neighbor Randell Harmon said he even watched the suspects leave after the crime and had no idea what had happened.

"I saw three gentlemen walk out and I didn’t think anything of it," Harmon said. "They didn’t look at me. They got in the truck and they left."

The incident left people in the community fearful about who might come knocking at their door.

"They’ve taken something precious from us," Johnson said. "They really have."

Neighbors said census-takers started working their street weeks ago.

According to HPD, the suspect who claimed to be a census worker showed no ID badge. Investigators said they don’t have a good description of any of the suspects.

And there's this:
"Volunteer Census worker charged with burglary and rape in Indiana"

http://www.whas11.com/news/local/Burglary-and-rape-arrest-in-Pekin-Indiana-93240824.html

"LOUISVILLE (WHAS11) – A volunteer Census worker who made his rounds earlier this week is now accused of returning to a physically handicapped woman's home this weekend and beating her and raping her.

WHAS11's Adrianna Hopkins was in Pekin, Indiana on Sunday where the crime happened, and spoke to the neighbors and friends of both the victim, and the accused.

"I had no reason to be afraid or anything of him,” said Debbie Bishop. “He was just a nice ordinary person."

That's what Bishop thought last Tuesday when she met Daniel Miller. The self-employed tile-layer and volunteer Census worker drove up her road, stopping at the homes listed on his Census forms.

The two had a short conversation and she answered all of his Census questions.

"He just seemed really nice, he was actually he was over friendly," Bishop said.

But if what Washington County Sheriff's Deputies say about Miller is true, Debbie says she's sorely mistaken.

Police say that same Tuesday, Miller also stopped by Debbie's neighbor's house. Then, that Saturday, at 4:30 in the morning, police say he returned to her neighbor's home, broke in, and beat and raped the 21-year-old physically handicapped woman who lives there with her mother.

"It's not right. She had no choice, you know,” said Bishop. “You don't do that."

The victim's mother talked to us off-camera, and said while she was sleeping, Miller raped her daughter,
then left his clothes in her daughter's room.

A neighbor says Miller then drove around the house as if he was drunk.

WHAS11 News went to Miller's house and according to his friends, he had been drinking Friday night.

Miller lives in an apartment complex by a nice, family friendly neighborhood. It’s within eyeshot of Eastern High School and East Washington Middle School.

WHAS11 News was told Miller's been married for 13 years and has two daughters. His friend Timothy Mattingly says he's shocked Daniel was arrested for this crime.

“I went fishing with him almost all the time,” he said. “He was nice and friendly.”

Debbie Bishop says she's realized you can't trust people because you never really know who they are.

"There's no way to describe what I think about a person like that,” Bishop said. “It's not even thinkable. There's no way a person like her should be treated like that. It gives me chill bumps thinking about it."

Miller was transported to the Washington County Detention Center where he’s being held with no bond. He will appear in court on Monday"

And there's this: (turnabout is fair play)
"Census Worker Carjacked and Kidnapped"

A Census Bureau worker was the victim of a carjacking in Hamden, and the suspect is just 14-years-old.

"The 50-year-old Hamden resident was sitting in his car, clearly marked with a Census Bureau sign, on Hamden Park Drive Thursday around 6:00 p.m., according to police.

The victim told police the teen came up to him with a gun and ordered him out of the car, then stole money from him.

Jumping in the car, the teen sped away, but returned a short time later and ordered the victim to drive him to the First Street area, police said."

Just several examples how the census can be dangerous.
By the way, the census guy was at my house yesterday, and I told him "one person lives here, and I will not answer any other questions. He checked off "one" and left.

The easy thing to do is just fill it out and that way YOU DON'T DRAW ATTENTION to yourself. Being that we're all growers here, that is the prime directive, is it not?

This is a great thread with lots of interesting comments on where the census came from. It is part of the original Constitution and thus a duty of every American. However, at the same time, the Constitution DID represent the best compromises brought about by the founding fathers of our country. They did NOT think it would be a permanent document. They intended to regularly revise it. Being that we've never done that, our system of Amendments is a good compromise to that original plan. But besides that, we haven't had any Amendments in a very long time.

As to growing illegally, is it not the right of every American to do what s/he wants in his/her own home? Privacy rights are a BIG deal in the Constitution, so are the rights of the state governments to regulate EVERYTHING that isn't explicitly reserved for the federal govt to control. These two themes in the Constitution should protect marijuana growers, but unfortunately, we've had big, big govt ever since the Civil War. It's the price we paid to get rid of slavery and truly start thinking about what liberty and freedom really mean in a multicultural society.

Now on the immigration tip. What bothers me about modern immigration is when people come here, but actually hate America. People who hate AMerican shouldn't be here. That's really a simple thought. Also, people who want to keep their own laws that are directly opposed to basic things we believe in, such as people who want to marry their children off at young ages. I think we've lost the distinction between pride in one's heritage while becoming American and keeping to one's heritage in such a way that one never becomes American. We're supposed to be the great melting pot, not the great stew pot with different compartments. That all said, this is a great discussion.

Just fill out the form, don't give the govt a chance to send ANYBODY to your house who HAS to talk to you in person. Not worth it.