What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Diatomaceous Earth - The Best Pesticide You've Never Heard Of

well , it seems the RA's touch it , and then return to their home on the cfl. I know it's working because of the pile of bodies under the cfl lol.

MaynardG_Krebs

Veteran
And yet, inhalation is not dangerous. Plus, the DE isn't absorbed by the plant, so you can rinse it off with a foliar feed.

I love DE :woohoo:

I'm sure someone in the past 5 years has chimed in on this, but I don't have time to read the whole thread. Inhaling DE is NOT a good thing to do. You do need to take precautions to keep this stuff out of your lungs. It can cause a disease called 'silicosis of the lungs' and can lead to lung cancer. I highly recommend the use of a mask when administering DE or moving it from one container to the next. It is no safer to inhale DE than it is to inhale powdered glass. Good luck and stay safe...

mgk :tiphat:

DE good for plants and you...

DE good for plants and you...

DE is a wonderful and natural way to control insects and add silica to you plants all in one shot. For those who are not seeing the kill on insects, understand DE takes time to work, results in days not minutes! The insects must slowly bleed out or dehydrate if you will, it takes time but they do die!!!

Dusted lightly on your lady's will help control PM.

As for yourself, take a tablespoon of DE (food grade only) or two daily and watch what happens to skin, nails, hair, and keep an eye on blood pressure, lowers your pressure. Me and my family consume DE every day, lightens age spots, improves skin tone and my nails grow faster and harder than ever...

Caution: do not eat Swimming Pool Filter DE; has additives that are Harmful to Humans!

Swimming Pool Filter grade NOT the same as Food Grade DE which can be found on the internet for as little as $.50 per pound, health food stores and plant care stores, nursery's or Co-Op stores will also have food grade DE.

Patience is the key, DE works and works well on both plants and humans...
mg

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
woohoo.gif
[/FONT]

CoMedUsr

WHAT EVER YOU DO DO NOT INHALE DE!
While I do know and agree that DE is a great pest controler, either grade of it is not good to inhale. I have friends that work in a brewery and use (food grade)DE to filter the beer before bottling or keging and they always wear a mask when working with the stuff as well as having to get regular check ups on there lungs because of it.

WHAT EVER YOU DO DO NOT INHALE DE!

It's not good for you to inhale dirt particles anyway (miners lung AKA black lung) so why would you think little glass shards are ok? :nono: Also you may not want it blowing around your grow room and getting in your eyes. Once again little glass shards in your eye, how nice. Think of it as if it were fiberglass insulation.

I would not recomend putting it on BUDS it will stick to your trics if you are growing sticky iky (and I know most of us are) and when you go to burn it you risk ending up getting little glass shards in your throat and lungs. :badday:

Look up the MSDS reports on it. It is an irratant to your throat and lungs.

http://www.sciencelab.com/xMSDS-Diatomaceous_earth-9923703

If you still think its 100% safe go huff some and see how your lungs feel later.
I'm not trying to start anything just trying to help you with some safty info when working with DE.
Safe growing every one! :wave:
~Raygun~

I just want to repeak how important it is to work with a mask. As much as I love DE, I don't like working with it. I also have limited experience with it.

What I'm curious is what is the efficacy like when you wet it. I'm guessing it goes down?

My mask must suck. I always feel like my nose is irritated after working with it. I was outside using it to contain/detract ant around my house & raised bed garden.

I've also used it on my dog for his fleas (or lice?).

:badday:

nickman

Veteran
That is the reason I stopped using it because after u water ur plants u gotta put more de back on top the soil...

F

Folate

I have a little acordian shaped powder puffer that I fill with Diatomaceous Earth. I am able to put a light coat on window sills or anywhere insects congregate and the effects are almost nuclear!
Great stuff!

catalyte

Veteran
^i would personally top dress the containers with a spoon instead of mixing it into the feed...... saw that work for me...

Apache Kush

BUMP>

I first saw this in use my buddys LARGE grow versus whiteflies...he is dumb and had issues
I was nervous at fisrt as he had the Yellow bag from @ Safer Co.
(with ants and roaches and shit on the cover)
I thought hmmm this shit must be dangerous for humans. He told me the hydro stores speel about tiny seashell lol dry em out bla bla dont survive crawl or whatever and I left it at that..
However, after reading this entire thread not skimming you learn its silca based and if you wear a mask, dont get dust everywhere, and dont put it on bud sites its money.

1. Wear a mask, whatch your fans from blowing when its bone dry and dusty..

2. DEis best on molting larvea coming out your soil becuase they are softer shelled and won't survive crawling thru this minefield of silca (i.e. before adult stage)

3. Dumb people that said it wasn't working was becuase it takes longer to cut up and dry out adults...you miss the early life cycle...in this case re apply evey 7-10 days for the next generation of hatching bug larve via the top soil...depends on pest..but their #'s should go down!

DarthFader1

Veteran
Bumpity bump.

Im very experienced with Food Grade DE. Starting using it sprinkling it on top of soil and on floor to control fungas gnats. This method does work but you need to reapply constantly, after waterings. You also need to let the soil dry a bit before applying.

Easiest way to administer it is with a kitchen siv exactly like one you would use for flour. I have a bunch of different size ones for different situations.

Ive probably inhaled my fair share of it, really hope i don't get lung cancer although with a 2 year meth binge under my belt it would be fairly tough to blame DE after that :laughing:

Now ive started mixing it into my soil as an amendment, and i havent seen a gnat in many months. This is the way i would recommend as from what ive seen there is no need for furtherapplications when mixed into soil. Ive no idea on correct amounts to use, so i erred on the safe side and use maybe a small teaspoon per gallon of soil. I would like to hear others application rates when premixing into their soil mix

Ive also taken a tablespoon mixed in a glass of water every day for a month or so, it seemed to improve my shitting capacity which was nice and certainly no negative impact that i noticed. I only stopped taking it because it was a hastle every day to remember.

Anyone that says it doesnt work isnt doing it right, i assure you this stuff works 100% of the time. Also invaders cannot ever build an immunity to it like chemical/biological controls, even neem oil they will build resistance over time. Whats the word? Systemic or some shit

choice thread !

DarthFader1

Veteran
Is it possible to overdose on DE when you premix it into your soil? Ive slightly increased the amount i used this round and my plants have broken out into this weird light green discolouration on my leaves. Growth is as normal. I dont have pests that is 100% confirmed.

Any input would be great

cheers
darth

Apache Kush

Can anyone speak to watering from the bottom of the smart pot's?
I mean to water from the ground level versus the normal way
and spreading the DE all over.

It would be nice to put permanent layer down on the top soil, Then just water from the bottom up, ebb and flow style.

Or maybe use a oil cylinder thing to water into the medium and avoid the DE going all over the place..

Does anyone know about using the calcined DE, such as an agricultural DE for use as an aggregate/amendment/soil conditioner? Been used on Golf Resorts, baseball fields, etc. for years as a "secret/miracle" additive, because of its ability to modify extreme soil conditions(water-logged or too dry) and even helping to flush salts from the media...I plan on using this kind, and food-grade powdered DE for its full-range of benefits

G.O. Joe

Veteran
Does anyone know about using the calcined DE, such as an agricultural DE for use as an aggregate/amendment/soil conditioner? Been used on Golf Resorts, baseball fields, etc. for years as a "secret/miracle" additive, because of its ability to modify extreme soil conditions(water-logged or too dry) and even helping to flush salts from the media...I plan on using this kind, and food-grade powdered DE for its full-range of benefits

The calcined version is also sold for floor dry, I use it for sprouting seeds sometimes and for keeping gnats off promix. They aren't wiped out entirely but it's effective. It's a little dusty and not cheap. It's like a hybrid of sand, perlite, and fine vermiculite. IDK if the infield conditioner (surface treatment not soil) is chunkier but IIRC the same company that makes the Ultrasorb also makes chunkier product. It doesn't seem to hurt in moderation but plants grown in it are stunted.

^^^ bump. I've been using De for a year now to get rid fleas. It's been a godsend in this hot weather we've been having in Oregon. It works like a charm and it's natual and chemical free. I will start using it on my grows very soon.

Latest posts

Latest posts