What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Diatomaceous Earth - The Best Pesticide You've Never Heard Of

Apache Kush

^^^ bump. I've been using De for a year now to get rid fleas. It's been a godsend in this hot weather we've been having in Oregon. It works like a charm and it's natual and chemical free. I will start using it on my grows very soon.

fleas on your pets like cats and dogs, i got a new cat so yea

how are you applying it doesnt it fall off the pets all over?
or you put it on the floors in the home??

LyryC

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I eat DE.

2 tsp per smoothie.

Tried it in water and will never do it again lol.

Apache Kush

I eat DE.

2 tsp per smoothie.

Tried it in water and will never do it again lol.

Hah yeah I read that its safe to consume as long as its food grade

Or whatnot, but what are the health benifits again,
why does the body need silca? Forgot...

and how do i put it on my cat!??

amanda88

Really Great for killing bugs on veges, ...and killing tokers who smoke weed with DE earth aboard, ... coughing up blood on each toke...I HAVE SEEN THIS MYSELF, it gets to the point, where the doctors do turn their backs, nurse straps 02 mask to you, but each cough you pull it off, and a spray of blood hits the pillow, ceiling, wall, nurse ...or me...takes about 2 weeks to die like this ...a horrid death all round

sorry I'm not dissing you ...but have seen a friend die like this he was 32yo, he swore by DE earth ...he never listened to the warnings either ...so good luck to all on this venture ....you'll need it

LyryC

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hah yeah I read that its safe to consume as long as its food grade

Or whatnot, but what are the health benifits again,
why does the body need silca? Forgot...

and how do i put it on my cat!??

Stronger teeth - bones - nails - hair. Better skin.
Cleaner gut.

Energy.

they should have a device at the pet store for you to use. I'm pretty sure you don't just wah pow your pets with it lol the dust is deadly to breathe.

Apache Kush

Stronger teeth - bones - nails - hair. Better skin.
Cleaner gut.

Energy.

they should have a device at the pet store for you to use. I'm pretty sure you don't just wah pow your pets with it lol the dust is deadly to breathe.

yeah i understand about the dust, crazy, about how that guy that died ^details...
he had it all over the buds and grow, how did they miss use the DE , fans blowing it, etc... have read this thread all over

eating it though has great benefits just use a mask and do it right

i remember reading there is food grade and then commercial grade in this thread, does that ring a bell, thought??? thx

LyryC

ICMag Donor
Veteran
yup get 100% food grade and then look into where they source their silica - mines from some swamp here in the USA i think lol. was cheap as fuck 10$ for like 5 pounds.

Add a tea spoon to a drink once a day. really no other way to consume it.

And that person who died, its called natural selection. You see theres an amazing function that coincides with life, and its called intelligence. The smarter you are the longer and better you life, and vice versa :D

fleas on your pets like cats and dogs, i got a new cat so yea

how are you applying it doesnt it fall off the pets all over?
or you put it on the floors in the home??

It's not a good idea to breath in any dust of any kind. After I rub DA into my dogs fur, and carpet, I take her for a walk. Allowing the dust to settle down in the house. I don't always use a mask when applying DA, but I should. :tiphat:

St. Phatty

Diatomaceous earth is an all natural by product of our planet's changing environment.

Hope this helps some of you having pest problems out!

:wave:

Thanks !

I have a feeling this is connected to the way birds use dust baths to kill parasites.

I have 3 chickens, one of whom takes dust baths (The other 2 are about 4 months old and have yet to learn the wonders of Dust.)

No bugs, no smell - and all she does is roll around in dry dirt for an hour or 2 a day, plus the hour or 2 she spends preening.

I figure the dry dirt is sort of like DE.

Granger2

Veteran
Except that DE is way finer, much smaller particles. When your dog bite/scratches, he's inhaling the DE. Very bad for lungs. DE is fossilized one cell critters. This is seriously bad for mammals to breath in. Good luck. -granger

buzzmobile

Veteran
Except that DE is way finer, much smaller particles. When your dog bite/scratches, he's inhaling the DE. Very bad for lungs. DE is fossilized one cell critters. This is seriously bad for mammals to breath in. Good luck. -granger

That is the case if one uses pool grade diatomaceous earth. Food grade DE is not heat treated (calcined) like pool grade DE. The heating changes the composition of the pool grade DE from silicon dioxide to crystalline silica. NEVER use pool grade DE for anything other than pool filters...and wear a particle mask if you handle pool grade DE for your filters.

:D

JackStrat

I personally use it in a preventative mode, dusting the medium and plant at every transplant. I also dust around every possible entry point, and the entir floor. So, any bug tries to get in, and they die. If it's not at the door, it's on the floor, if they make it across the floor, they die on the container or medium. If they manage to make it to the plant by some freakish luck, the plants themselves have a layer of DE armor.

:wave:

Thank you!

Question; do you re-apply and how often? Concerned about thrip, aphids and white flies.

JackStrat

i've also used it as a foliar spray, by mixing different strengths for testing. i'm also testing - a paint sprayer with a compressor to mist the plants getting every little spot.
(I HATE BUGS)

K+ great job NT!!

Good thinking!

How'd that work?

St. Phatty

Yes, I am very respectful of dust.

I made a mistake when I was learning stone-carving (the precious kind) at a younger age. The club had some real iron-lung members, e.g. this one Russian guy who would polish his jade in a room filled with tin oxide dust for the polishers ... then go outside and have a cig.

As I learned, that very fine dust was VERY BAD for my lungs.

I like to save my lungs for the Good Stuff :woohoo:

Now I am fascinated by elements & materials that involve fine dust - but I'm very careful not to breathe it.

One of the more interesting workplace dusts I've seen is at the compost places. The dust tends to settle in the upper lungs, and if you listen you can hear the workers coughing frequently, sort of a half-hearted cough ... every 5 minutes.

When you hold the dry compost and watch it pour out of your hands, some of it goes airborne, like smoke.

Great compost but I wouldn't want to breathe it !

Latest posts

Latest posts