What's new

DESTROYER on Ice - 250CMH Freezer Grow

FreezerBoy

Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training
Veteran
Weekend Update

I'll forgo the usual screen/trich/seed shots today. I feel like I'm chewing up bandwith unnecessarily. There's just not that big a change.

I thought I was seeing some gray mold setting in on one stem. That undead, zombie, pallid look (shame on me I took no pics) I just picked it off as I saw it. Last night I cut out the stem, trimmed it up (tossed a few seed/calyxes) Tonight, what's left looks OK. Some of the seeds are peeking through. Pulled one off, cracked her open. Looks good, inside and out.

Well ... apparently, no cake for Hitler and no photos for you....

Insert 25 cm (9.75") cola here​

As you can clearly see, buds are fuller than one would expect in a sativa. That's because I cheated. They're full of plump, ripe seeds. Then again, had it grown vertically with the buds all around it, it would be a pretty little cola instead of the misshapen hunchback it is.

3BM

Not to muddy the waters too much ... but Ive worked with Thais that ran a long spire from the tops like that. The flowers were dense and well developed, if a little "wispy" in structure ... and then a long stem-like spire would shoot out the top. It seemed to be part of its natural development. If you cant get it to develop like you want from nutrient alteration, look at more seeds to determine the role genetics plays in that situation.

M

mrred

has anyone ever use the cooling function of a fridge to cool their grow?

S

sundays child

Hey Up Freeze,

I haven't logged in much recently but I've still been following your work. I'm watching and learning and thinking of one day trying a sativa run myself. Your reports and the mountain of help piled in by some others here is better than any book!

Happy New Year.
Keep on keeping on.

FreezerBoy

Veteran
mrred said:
has anyone ever use the cooling function of a fridge to cool their grow?
There's the Refriginator but the plans are no longer free. It was a sealed system in a standard fridge with topside freezer. A hole was cut between the two chambers, a moisture condenser sat in the freezer portion. Lamps were CFLs and it used CO2 injection in favor of air exchange.

FreezerBoy

Veteran
Add pic (D'oh! Saved a GIF with a JPG extension and freaked out the browser)

Pulled about 50 seeds so far (maybe half)

M

mrred

FreezerBoy said:
There's the Refriginator but the plans are no longer free. It was a sealed system in a standard fridge with topside freezer. A hole was cut between the two chambers, a moisture condenser sat in the freezer portion. Lamps were CFLs and it used CO2 injection in favor of air exchange.
lol that thing looked like a pile of junk, is he really trying to sell plans to that thing?

hoosierdaddy

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Freeze, I noticed the bit of purple on the stem of that last bud. That is the "staining" I am seeing from my CMH. I bet the other side of that stem from where the color is, is lime green. And I bet the other parts of the stem that are green were not getting direct intense light.
Only one strain I have been growing lately does not respond to this light with the purple shadings. Growdocs AD shows absolute no discoloration at all.

FreezerBoy

Veteran
There was little staining of plant stems, mostly towards the ends. It was the fan leaf stems that went dark, iridescent purple. They were pretty enough I tried to take photos but, my little point and shoot viewfinder doesn't have what it takes. I'm also seeing it in the calyxes.

The seeded shoots are far more lime green than the others. Whatever that means. After suspecting grey mold, I went digging through the underbrush and found some hidden stems that were extremely pale.

FreezerBoy

Veteran
Mid-week update.

My EyeClops came today. Definitely not an Apple product.

Packaging is abysmal but, who buys a product for the box? Five batteries? It's the old hot dog trick. AA Batteries are sold in even number packs. Why not 4 or 6? A single 9 volt? Focusing is clumsy, especially in the 200-400 range but, easier in the more useful 100 range. Lacking any sort of filter, I imagine trichs will easily transfer to the lens requiring cleaning.

On the other hand it was $20. I paid 3 times that for a 32MB thumb drive some years ago and this $20 included both a thumb drive AND a camera! As much as I hate power bricks, it's a good idea here, keeping weight out of the hand unit. The pictures allow for direct comparisons that a simple magnifier can't. I can share trich shots that were unobtainable with the RS Scope.

While it's far from the most impressive purchase I've made, what it does for what it cost is OK. I doubt I'd be as happy at the original $80 pricetag.

My first few shots, all at 100X

........ EDIT ........
Removed the following "I got 6 shots before the batteries went dead (Note package recommends NOT using rechargeables as I did. It's possible they weren't fully charged. I'll try again later when I can get into the cab.)"

With just filled rechargeables, I snapped 22 shots (plus focusing time) and I'm now officially bored with the "how many shots to empty the batteries" test. Seems rechargeables are fine provided they've actually been charged.

Last edited:

FreezerBoy

Veteran
You're right. For $$20$$ I should STFU!

Live, from Nunya Dambidnes City, It's Tuesday Night Shed!
This week starring, Jo, the Destroyer.

Dr Dog

Sharks have a week dedicated to me
Veteran
Anytime you have some sort of live view, it is going to chew threw batteries, rechargeable or not

Some nice pics though, love extreme close ups

SumDumGuy

"easy growing type"
Veteran
Hi FreezerBoy,
Wow... I love the way you filled that screen with just one plant. They are looking super delicious. Great job!!!!!!

FreezerBoy

Veteran
Weekend Update

I could rant about the shoddy design and ergonomics of the Eyeclops forever but, I now know how the owner of the world's ugliest dog feels. I love this stupid thing.

Except for bottom right, all shots are untouched. Retouch on the last shot was restrained to a slight histogram compression (Where do black and white start and the breaking point between them) Bottom shots are Morlocks. A couple of stems I found hiding underneath. Wispy and very pale, they're still plenty frosty.

Not a lot of clear to be found ...More and more amber showing ... I think I smell harvest time in the air ... Speaking of which, I thought I smelled something last night but, not tonight so, my little filter has done it's job.

Tonatiuh

its me Dave man open up the door...
ICMag Donor
Veteran
nice macros freezerboy,good luck with the chizop heres to you gettin many buds man.peace -T-