What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Defoliation: Hi-Yield Technique?

Status
Not open for further replies.

astartes

You both talk science who posted some study's one of them said defoliation increased grape size and flavor I posted some as well that proved it did work timing is the most important factor.

You talk of science yet know nothing of it because science is studying and experimenting to determine results the concept escapes you.
Science should be evolving we would learn nothing if it was static like your closed minds screaming the world is flat when you have been shown it's not.

To be fair, the science in the manuscript you're talking about referred to an increase in fruit production when 1/3 of the leaf matter was defoliated. More stringent defoliation correlated with reduced fruit weight. Taking off 1/3 of the leaf matter is not the defoliation that is being encouraged in this thread.

a.

5th

Veteran
untill you get a thread up with over 17,000 views and 600 posts

C'mon now thats no fair bro. I just took a look n' most of those posts are yours lol.

next time you grab that Tylenol for your headache remember science gave you that relief , Next time you fill up your mo ped with gas Science gave you gas

and...remember unless its a baby...a truck brought it to you...and that truck..well it was built with science...

bud buster again it doesn;t matter really what you think i can place 1k or 10 k in a room why cause i can but that is not what its all about my goal now as a grower???? is achieving maximum yields per plant in a 5 x 15 area which is 12 plants this time ???

Yet you argue that a proven method with tons of current growers doing it is wrong because a few studys with sunflowers and grapes done at the wrong time didn't increase yields except the last one said grapes were bigger.
I posted a few studys that showed it worked and it did depend on timing but you couldn't possibly believe those scientists or the dozens of growers who have reported higher yields than there previous grows with numbers.

You would rather argue blindly than try it once That speaks volumes to your scientific mind it is trapped in some weird little tiny place that paralyses your mind to something new.

whodare

Veteran
To be fair, the science in the manuscript you're talking about referred to an increase in fruit production when 1/3 of the leaf matter was defoliated. More stringent defoliation correlated with reduced fruit weight. Taking off 1/3 of the leaf matter is not the defoliation that is being encouraged in this thread.

a.

Funny that 30% number comes up again...

greyskull, did you read any of the rest of the post of any of my other post?

I AM ABSOLUTELY PROMOTING PROPER PRUNING(sorry for the caps, i want clarity)

that includes, as i said before, frequent removal of sucker branches, and large leafs blocking light to lower nodes. in veg for me, 10% gets stripped a week.

i personally leave as many large leafs below as i can.

i get rid of all suckers and clear out the canopy i little more aggressively(30%) 3 days to a week before flower so that they are 100% recovered and ready to blast off in stretch.

in stretch i resume frequent but light leaf and sucker removal, and then 3-4 days before the end of stretch i clear the rest of the suckers and leafs.

from the end of stretch on its strictly leaf removal only when it is large and blocking or resting on a nearby bud, and only if it cant be tucked away.

so i repeat im for good cultural practices ie pruning throughout the grow cycle...

but extreme defoliation is only for extreme circumstances, small spaces, extreme humidity in late cycle, quick ripening(if done wrong delayed).

siftedunity

cant re Member
Veteran
tbh i think this thread is quite clear for people to see.

look at the pictures here offered by the defoliators

then look at the pics offered by those against. the pictures speak for themselves. if your too stupid to see yourself which methods are best, you probably deserve the outcome you will get..

St3ve

St3ve what i am trying to get at is skinning a plant in any stage of its growth cycle is a no no leafs are little more important then you think . Now i can agree selective leaf removal can become a advantage you mention i can;t make it work in my garden st3ve i am getting just under 2.5 pounds per 1k light and until i see proven results of someone achieving more in the same allotted time frame i will never look at this crazy idea of defoilating / skinning a plant veg or flower.
Also it appears many do this to control height possibly having smaller rooms why not train plants to achieve lots of top buds rather then worrying about lower bud sites this would be by far more efficient ways of getting more yields per smaller space

You say its a no no.. why? What do you think will happen? Do you realized that I do it all the time? Why would I continue doing it if I had poor results? What do you think I have to gain by agreeing with the OP that in can increase yields?

Also, you've already admitted that you've not used this technique.. so how can you compare this to other training methods if you've not tried it?

Greyskull

Twice as clear as heaven and twice as loud as reas
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Pruning and defoliation are not the same thing....

i dont use fancy $5 words or own a garden center, but i know how to google up definitions...

this is the definition of defloiate.

de·fo·li·ate
de·fo·li·at·ed, de·fo·li·at·ing, de·fo·li·ates

* To deprive (a plant, tree, or forest) of leaves.
* To deprive of leaves especially prematurely
* To strip (a tree, bush, etc.) of leaves.
* To destroy or cause widespread loss of leaves

so what? whats it called when you take leaves off a plant?

if someone says leaf pruning or defoliating because they are practicing the act of removing leaves... they are in fact stating the correct terminology.
if there is different terminolgy or definition, please share it.

if we need a side by side to prove the definition let me know I can handle it I'll take one for the team. You name the search/definition terms and I'll get on it.

so whats it called again when you selectively remove/prune leafs?

I know... its called making your plants sick right hahaha
yep

so,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, a dude says it works for him, states his case, then its called "ancedotal"
typical.

so what, us with only ancedotal experience don't fucking count, huh? i guess not.
where do we sign up for the state sponsored side by side? do you have to be a registered voter hahaha

why dont you science types with the know how and wherewithall nut up and do something "non ancedotal"?

I know why. you cant.
now, us dumb hippies are too stoned. sure. that what you said ill agree with you.
but you smart science guys with brains, whats the problem?
youre obviously sooooo much better than us.
you keep TRYING to prove it...

so go ahead.
PROVE US WRONG WITH EXPERIENCE
Use your experience and knowledge of science.
prove your science.
prove the world is flat still.
prove it i will eat my words.
i wont even salt them.....

and if you dont, well you'll have learned something Ill say i told you so and move on.

thanks for looking out for us stupid lazy stoners science guys. good looking out.
cant wait to hear you guys are running a side by side in a controlled documented test.
ggood on ya!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Enlighten

why dont you science types with the know how and wherewithall nut up and do something "non ancedotal"?

In science the burden of proof is on the ones making a claim...

And if you dont like science i guess you should get up from your computer chair, leave everything behind you and find a cave to live in.

EVERYTHING in modern life is thanks to science. Dont knock it!

siftedunity

cant re Member
Veteran
grey skull you have really offered this thread absolutely nothing of any value when reading through your posts. pointless.. and a pretty good point is made above

W

willyweed

grey skull you have really offered this thread absolutely nothing of any value when reading through your posts. pointless.. and a pretty good point is made above

its hard to understand people sometimes

Last edited:
In science the burden of proof is on the ones making a claim...

And if you dont like science i guess you should get up from your computer chair, leave everything behind you and find a cave to live in.

EVERYTHING in modern life is thanks to science. Dont knock it!

You can't see the sarcasm and mocking of the so called "scientist types" that can't read what has been written by many many growers
or even try it once with one plant something science actually is all about.

hypothesis x experiment = conclusion

Where the haters are missing the most important points of science keep an open mind and set up experiments to prove or disprove a method.

Hypothesis __________ = conclusion this is not science it's opinion and biased to boot.

siftedunity

cant re Member
Veteran
its hard to believe what you say sife you said you would put pictures up and have not that makes you a liar sift message to me today you missed them i cant be bothered mate. any particular reason you can show us yours? ive put mine up twice, both times people commented and i didnt see any negatives about them. you dont even defoliate but your arguing in this thread? pruning is very different mate.

have you read the rules? do you know you not allowed to post peoples pms without permission??

FRIENDinDEED

A FRIEND WITH WEED IS A . . .
Veteran
roflmao, i was in on the ground floor of this thread and i really do think that there are people still willing to argue over proven fact.

!!!viva la defoliation!!! (is it "viva" or "vive"? lol) smh

and whats even more funny is that the same ppl that are arguing still wont take just one or two plants and just simply try/see for themselves . . . sigh . . . likei tyell my wife all the time "some people just like to argue"

DrFever

Veteran
You say its a no no.. why? What do you think will happen? Do you realized that I do it all the time? Why would I continue doing it if I had poor results? What do you think I have to gain by agreeing with the OP that in can increase yields?

Also, you've already admitted that you've not used this technique.. so how can you compare this to other training methods if you've not tried it?
pretty simple really here look op;s plants day 20 mine day 23 if you can;t see the difference then i suggest you go see a optometrist
cause you are blind

op's Day 20 mine day 23 we will see who kills it :)) :laughing::laughing: enough said

Attachments

• DSCF3171.jpg
    DSCF3171.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 56
  • user139650_pic384779_1274500930.jpg
    user139650_pic384779_1274500930.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 50

siftedunity

cant re Member
Veteran
the first is ak47, second is sonics kalishnapple, next is my cut of agent orange so is my last pic. i put up a different one last night.

now weedwilly you can show some of yours??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts