What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Defoliation: Hi-Yield Technique?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrFever

Veteran
Too bad you should strip a few of those clones you got in that big tub just do a little section it will not hurt anything just give them a few days veg before flip then do it a month later on the same ones.

You will then know for yourself if all the people who do it are full of shit and you can rub it in forever.
those girls are in flower i am letting them do there thing :)) :biggrin:
and for the other post mentioned about the sun
if you really want to get technical you will need
about 130 watts per square foot to match the sun growing indoor

whodare

Veteran
You know......I didn`t come into this thread ta naysay and put folks down that have profited from this with their personal setups , but..........

I`ve gotta say that after dialin Chem D where I couldn`t squeeze any more out of her in many rooms and locations for a WHILE , that Jro`s leaf strippin technique @ day 21 and 45 cost me 2 weeks extra flowering to swell em up to 10 weeks results as the norm.........

12 weeks for the same harvey results is NOT a high yield technique , and I`m no dumbass......Shit works for some with some strains/varieties with what they`re happy with result -wise........

Sucked big dick for me cuz at the time my rooms weren`t staggered perpetual and cost me buncha extra expense on everything from powerbills to fuckin up the next runs cuz the cuts got too big and hadta be topped and chopped causin the bush effect.........

Not the plant structure I strived for in my rooms for max lumen penetration.......Guess I shoulda stripped those plants too huh ?..........I`m just sayin.......

Good luck with all ya`lls stress management on your plants......If it works for your setup and increases your bottom line , then that`s really all that matters..........I always wanted in and out as fast as humanly possible with EVERY room I ran........

That`s why they make chocolate and vanilla ice cream.........Choices....Just don`t bash me for knowin it fucked me up cuz I assure everyone it had nuthin ta do with grower error.......

Why can`t we all just get along........DHF.........:ying:....

I`m tellin all of yas that I ran Chem D MANY cycles before gettin talked into the "strippin technique" by Jro back when I had some respect for him.........

12 weeks for a 10 week cycle for the same size nugz , same weight finished , but less trimmin doesn`t prove cost effective when you could`ve pulled the leafier plants and re-introduced the next run of pre-vegged cuts 2 weeks earlier........

This shit may work for some that don`t have anything other than someone else`s accounts of how miraculous this technique is and it may work on some strains/varieties as stated here IDK......no offense....but.........

I`m testifying from personal experience that it did not work on Chem D , but rather was detrimental to the finishing process from plant stress and recovery time to accomplish the same size end product I was accustomed to producing run after run.........

It`s not rocket science.......Dial a strain where you can`t squeeze another gram out of her , and then strip all her shit off of her next run and see how long it takes her to recover and give yas the same weight and size nug harvey as last run......you won`t be happy..........

Said this earlier.......supposedly this technique works good on SOG tables to prevent each cut from chokin out the next plant beside , in front , and behind.......the original technique was designed to be able to squeeze mega cuts and plant numbers under the same sq ftg/footprint of horizontal air-cooled reflectors using way more than the customary max number of 4 plants per sq ft on 4 x 8 tables.........instead of 128 plants they were doubling that and then some.........

Worked well for straight rooted cuts flipped to 12/12 usin his BOG/Beaster cut.......anything else with older/bigger plants is a crap shoot at best IME.......didn`t work for me and he didn`t like me shittin in his kool-aid when I told him bout it either......might work ok for usin less than 50 watts per sq ft with folks that`re new and don`t realize about canopy penetration cuz they certainly wouldn`t know about plant stress/shock and recovery time.....

Proof`s in the puddin........don`t just accept somethin works cuz it`s hyped and stickied.....do your own experiments as Blaze said.........growing smaller plants allows this setup to do better with the lower extremities instead of being trimmed out for the upper and outer cola development.......that`s about it from what I`ve seen.........

Instead of popcorn down low , the light penetration from fan removals allowed extra fully developed nugz that normally would`ve been chopped out for the upper canopy development.......SOG folks loved the system........

Don`t try and fuck with bigger plants without expecting to wait awhile as they recover and get back to where they were before being put in plant shock/stress to the max by being raped of their photosynthesis receptors and having to reproduce more for the recovery process........Witnessed it first hand in several rooms ........

Peace.....DHF........

The original de-foliation thread by Jrosek was using hydroton and increased plant numbers in hydro SOG type setups and running fully rooted cuts straight 12/12 till finish and strippin fans at 21 days and then day 45 according to the "master plan".........

Blaze....doin it in soil as a side by side wouldn`t reflect what can be done in an accelerated hydro setup fed frequently flood and drain as you know........Jro swore the recovery time was minimal due to constant feed and accelerated growth during the stretch for the first raping , and then mid flower for the last strip to keep energy from being diverted ta growin water/sugarleaf , promoting swellage till choptime.........all in a fast hydro feed system to solicit the fast recovery.............I got 1 thing ta say......Bullshit...........

This shit`s strain related at best cuz I attempted it with my Chem D`s per the exact formula in several rooms flippin behind each other..........All it did for me is give the exact same yield and took 2 weeks longer to finish in EACH room due to plant shock and recovery time for the exact same size and yield with trichs being the same color with nugz comparable , but was easy as hell ta trim come harvey......

I liked the lack of trim time , but the 2 week delay from plant stress and recovery time pissed me off and cost me money......

The only wayta know if this technique works well for your particular situation is to try it after already having done things in the conventional manner to have some comparisons on the same strain/variety.........

IOW.....If you`ve never monocropped for the best results possible out of any particular strain , then you`d never know what it takes for recovery from plant stress without having run the same strain multiple times to know what it`ll do once dialed......

Ya`ll figure it out.....I already made my assessments long ago.........Works for some.......sux for most.........

Peace........DHF...............

Yeah sorry bro, I have been reading this thread the last couple days and kinda getting sick of people coming in this thread and ruining the discussion. Seems like I just did it myself lol. I am not implying thats what you are trying to do. Just saw you make suggestions on other techniques while quote those pics and i jumped the gun before really pondering what you were trying to say... again sorry a misunderstanding on my part entirely.

anyways, I do agree with you 100% on the last comment. I only remove the very largest or older leaves, any leaf that is blocking a bud site or leaves that are grouped so tight together that it could cause PM or mold issues down the road. I strongly feel its a must with big trees... especially with the purple kush I am growing. I cant say the same about small plants because I have never experimented doing it with smaller plants. I do my clean ups at day 21 and follow up at day 45. Its my first time growing trees/leaf plucking and I do feel that they need to be opened up. I did leave 2 big girl untouched to compare.

I do notice that most of the pics here are not completely defoliated but more of a calculated leaf clean up. I jumped the gun when I saw you quote those pics because IMO thats probably the worse way you could go about cleaning up a plant. I also dont think a plant that size needs a clean up unless you are trying to keep her really small. :smoke out:

Now see........Those pics by !!! are indeed the way I stripped my Chem D`s @ day 21 during the stretch only leaving budsites , and it completely shut em down for at least a week........

Did it again @ day 45 and they shut down AGAIN...no trich production OR swellage and OMG did that piss me off.........took 12 weeks for a normally 10 week variety........

From what I`ve seen from the above pics completely "de-foliated' and taking 3 weeks to get backta pretty much the same size they were , cements my decision further that there`s a stunting of growth and recovery period "regardless" of the plant`s age , although I think smaller plants handle it better during the stretch and recover faster than more mature mid-sized plants like mine were...........

Respect Mike Ross for differentiating the terms of " calculated leaf cleanup" , rather than "completely" strippin them bitches nekkid like I did as in true defoliation....

I`d imagine that recovery would be faster with the selective and calculated taking of "some or most" of the fans and not all so as not ta shock the shit out of em.....

Evidently , this shit works well in low wattage small grows and actually increases yields , since de-leafing the smaller plants would most certainly expose lower parts of the plants to more concentrated lumens that normally would`ve been hacked out for upper growth and swellage.....

Peace....DHF......:ying:....

Whats your opinion on a day 45 follow up clean up? Do you think think I am robbing a lot of of the swellage or tric production stunting them going into the last two weeks of production.

:laughing: that sounds so bad as I type that... Stunt the plants right before they enter the 2 weeks they swell and pack on the weight the most. Are we giving up weight to obtain a better consistency in regards to outer and inner buds with trees or tops and bottom buds in a flat garden?

My plants were swelling great up until day 42-45 when I did a progressive leaf pluck, progressive in the sense that I was too lazy and tired to do it all in one day lol. I noticed that they did kinda stop getting bigger after I did that for a few days. I also had a very slight lockout around the time I presume. My 250gallon system was going up about 50ppm in 24hours and my PH was slightly dropping. Not saying the leaf pluck had anything to do with it but it could have caused the lack of swell those couple days after a pluck... I do feel it had more to do with the pluck then the actual slight lockout because I did notice them start swelling back up before I fixed the lockout issues.

Guaranteed......You shocked em , they shut down , and stopped eatin their nutes , or the opposite would`ve occurred Bro......

Plants eat ....... ppm`s go down , ph goes up .....period....Not backwards as you experienced.......so....though seemingly unimportant in your dialed setup and only experiencing minor fluctuations ,
you`re showing again that the shock/recovery process from strippin em shuts the plants down and they stop eatin till they recover........

How fast they recover is directly related to how much you rape and pillage em , as well as what type of hydro system you`re running to help em recover faster , or suffer more if in dirt for the turnaround........

Good stuff in here....Now we`re gettin down to tha nitty gritty.......

Peace....DHF.......:ying:.......

I`m gonna try and catch yer back fer a minute Head......Before this thread ever happened , much less was "stickied'" by only God knows who , was Jro`s thread of "leaf stripping" for major yield increases"..........

He said his so-called "BOG" cut would pull 4 lbs off 2-600`s using bare parabolic reflectors with increased plant numbers with a "plan" to strip fan leaves at 21 days bloom , and then at 45 days for the win on regular SOG tables ..........

What folks didn`t realize or really understand was that increased plant numbers dictate yield in ANY setup.....horizontal or vertical.......

He "Quadrupled" the amounts of rooted cuts in a SOG setup and proceeded to tell folks that "leaf stripping" was the reason that he was receiving all these gifts from God.........

Oh......and then said sidelighting from 8' fluorescent shoplights was one of the factors why he was pullin his numbers.....on less than 20" plants ?......Please.....600`s penetrate at least 32" with proper spacing........it was the increased plant numbers.......and it works........just don`t guild the lily by callin it somethin else......

No one ever called him on his shit but me , but several old heads got hold of that pos BOG cut and laughed at it like me down the road but I digress................

510 1/4 oz budsicles from fully rooted cuts per 4 x 8 flood tables under 2-1K`s has made some old friends of mine that sell cuts to the dispensaries weekly in SoCal very happy NOT using "de-foliation" for many yrs without false advertising , but rather dialing strains and mono-cropping for max results............right at 4 lbs per 1 KW for well over a decade.........but.....clone factory comesta mind huh ?....

Dialing your strain at whatever age you chooseta "flip" their ass at for yields you`re seeking is what needsta be discussed instead of unrealistic expectations.......That`s when knowledge is gained.....and yields are increased....

My 2 cents from all them yrs.......DHF.........:ying:....

posts from dhf

Jbonez

Veteran
hahahaha jbonez this is going to be awesome a actual test do you have same size un hacked plant that will be going into flower as well maybe post them together if you can

nah, I do have doubles of something else, Snowdawg I think, Ill see what I can do, results would be obvious, I know how my gals grow.. Wish me luck..

whodare

Veteran
Indeed... proper pruning is way more involved than simple defoliation or quasidefoliation.

a better measurement would be weight / watt / space / time.

grams per watt per cubic foot over the course of a year, perhaps.

A 10% increase in yield per space could not be counted as an increase if it took 10% longer, or 25% more wattage, for example.

I had the underlined right...
Removing the leaves from the tops reduces their size, and does nothing to improve their quality.

I know the tops are the best... good reason to only grow tops.

Retards is right too.

retard
verb |riˈtärd| [ trans. ]
delay or hold back in terms of progress, development, or accomplishment .

over and over and over people describe the slowing of growth defoliation causes.

lollipopping and quasidefoliation are opposite techniques.

One approach removes the lower budsites which would be shaded or way too far from the light, to encourage the biggest tops to become bigger tops.

The other approach retards the biggest tops in an effort to let the lower budsites compete for light and catch up some.

seems fairly opposite to me.

These experiences match my own.... the only reason I've even bothered posting in this thread is because of the poorly applied vocabulary which is being used to describe the technique and the claims about results which were completely contrary to my own experience (all other variables being equal), and unverified aside from 'looks bigger'. From the people who have bothered to quantify their results, I have only seen one example of a measured increase which can't be attributed to 'more veg time = bigger yield'.

that is what I've been saying.

Do not defoliate(according to the actual definition of defoliate) your plants.

Do properly prune your plants, which involves the removal of the smaller lower larf sites and a few of the leaves occasionally.

That's what I've been saying too.
The technique is hit and miss, and is not for every strain or every gardening style.

and imho would be more appropriate as a section in a thread about proper pruning techniques than as a stand alone "hi:)wave:)yield technique" which is inaccurately named.

Too bad that this thread is not promoting the simple art of proper pruning technique, but it is good too, since nobody here is arguing against pruning and nobody is arguing against 'extra work'... they're against bullshit claims and misnomers. You don't seem to reaalize that the 'defoliators' have railed against the type of pruning you are discussing... They say all the lower sites you pruned away should be left, but all the fan leaves shading the larf lowers should have been removed instead. It's not a name pronunciation issue at all, and though you seem to be defending the thread, the method you use and the recommendations you made are contrary to what this thread pushes.

The truth is the truth.

Properly pruning a few leaves is not defoliation, and pruning larf sites from underneath is much better for improving production than doing like this thread recommends and stunting your plant by removing all the plants solar panels.

this thread isn't about proper pruning, I'm all for proper pruning... especially when it is called what it is, pruning, instead of being billed as something it absolutely is not, defoliation.

There absolutely should be a sticky about successful pruning methods, and what situations they should be used in... this thread ain't that, though.

There should not be one about a hit and miss, mislabeled pruning methods being billed as a high:wave:-yield technique.

Your plant looks to be pruned similarly to the way mine are, larf sites removed and tops spread apart to allow for penetration... They do not really look like they were 'defoliated', were they?

This is just in general and not directed at madrus:

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=12673&pictureid=539726&thumb=]View Image[/url]

The red dot on the left is obviously bigger, right???

(The Red Dots are exactly the same)

I do not defoliate. I leave the majority% of the leaves alone.
defoliation is removing the leaves from, not removing A leaf from.
I do prune, including pruning some leaves in some circumstances.

What is being labeled here as defoliation is just a subset of pruning.

some by h3ad

DrFever

Veteran
well there you have it folks will skinning a plant increase your yield not a chance will it cost you more in the long wrong well obviously it will cause of stress related issues more slower growth and finishing times
bottom line is it worth it ???? hahahaha hell no you were probably better off cropping , topping and fimming.
Bottom line when you want to play in this game growing its all about speed , and yield and most importantly getting max out of each possible plant that you can that's what its all about really bragging rights specially on the net where 10 percent is factual truth and other 90 percent is actually BS
you Wanna know factual truth my very first grow indoor EVER 2000 watts 1 HPS 1 MH 72 plants vegged 5 weeks purple kush yield was 6 pounds dry un molested plants.
Only thing i ran was exhaust fan that my friends is what its all about figure that out for GPW

Attachments

• !cid_0208012036a.jpg
    !cid_0208012036a.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 28
  • !cid_0307010805b.jpg
    !cid_0307010805b.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 30
  • !cid_0312012200a.jpg
    !cid_0312012200a.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 27

Greyskull

Twice as clear as heaven and twice as loud as reas
ICMag Donor
Veteran
What works for some doesnt work for others

You grow the powerplant pretty slick dr fever. Respect.

But not all plants can do what yours does and not all growers have their shit just like you.

I forgot all about lifeless' posts w pics...
This thread is rad.

the back and forth this thread is funny
Heres a recap:

It works!
No it doesnt work
Yes it does
Prove it
Ok
I dont believe you
In my experience its done something positive
You are lying science says no
You try it
Why
Because it works
No it doesnt
Yes it does
We need a controlled experiment
You should volunteer
Oh im never doing that

Lol

Theres gold buried in the shit in this thread.

Some of whodare, gratefulhead, and fevers posts are chock full of good solid info and application

Just like keeftrees, jrosek, dhf. Only they cover the other end of the spectrum...

Nice to see jbonez' light bulb go on over his head after gmaxs post... And how come no one is talking stink to him about how hes fucking up? Lol

Its coming gmax!

Elite Nugz

Hard to say Elite Nugz, that's why we need these trials.
IMHO the plants need to be trained to accept the pruning, so that they don't slow down. Start taking the odd leaf early in the veg stage & they don't freak out when you start pruning them properly.
Look forward to sharing your results mate.
Stay Safe :tiphat:

For sure..!! I have 2, 4x8 trays going of XXX OG, going in the same room, right next to each other. So Im gonna strip one down, the way Im reading to do it here, and see what happens. Im super skeptical on this technique, and I dont see it working... but instead of arguing something I've never tried, Im just gonna dive in and give it a shot. Im gonna cringe with every leaf I pluck off too. lol

I'll snap some pics and post the results here.

I

Iffy-Caradoc

Stripping

Stripping

For sure..!! I have 2, 4x8 trays going of XXX OG, going in the same room, right next to each other. So Im gonna strip one down, the way Im reading to do it here, and see what happens. Im super skeptical on this technique, and I dont see it working... but instead of arguing something I've never tried, Im just gonna dive in and give it a shot. Im gonna cringe with every leaf I pluck off too. lol

I'll snap some pics and post the results here.

I was wrong in confusing this thread with proper pruning. I get now that what the 'defoliant' pro folk are proposing.
I'm not sure I would risk half of my grow on a trial of 'complete' defoliation but then I am also intrigued by the prospect of proper trial results.
Good luck with it Elite Nugz, hope the trial gives you an unexpected bonus!
Stay safe :tiphat:

Jbonez

Veteran
Nice to see jbonez' light bulb go on over his head after gmaxs post...

Wasnt just Gmax bro, I like to listen to those who have nothing to gain by posting results... I just find the topic to be a completely twisted gagglefuck of subjective opinions...

If you go to the vert section for example, there is a completely outlined theory, with plenty of objective proof to its validity, followed by a loyal following of those benefiting directly, no arguing, no bickering, just proof.. Ive converted more people to vert than I can count and as much as I want this to work, I cant promote it until I know it does... twice.

So I am keeping an open mind.. thats all.

Bassy59

Here's some bullshit larf on defoliated plants, and to think the main colas were sacrificed for this crap, I guess if I want hash making material....

Well developed bottom growth, roflmao....

you really post some stupid shit. All it takes is a few looks at his pics and you see colas NOT sacrificed.

page 13, post 181 looks like those plants will have plenty of colas

And post 186 is from jrosek with very nice cola pics.

Post 191 shows 2 awesome colas.

Does the FIRST fucking pic in the FIRST fucking post, by the SAME grower you quote look like it had "sacrificed" fucking colas?

These pictures are from early in the thread https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread....174163&page=41

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeLess
found a picture of my last grow at day 34. Strains,Light,soil,ferts are all the same as the current grow. You can see a huge diff in bud development. Im not sure but after looking at the Apollolicious i think it could be close to finished at day 38. Its close for sure.

Last grow day 34
View Image

current grow day 36
View Image

This is the follow up thread https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread....174163&page=58

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeLess View Post
I just finished a defoliated run and can say that not only did i get better penatration to the lower buds but the upper2/3 of the plant had much larger buds also. Its really dosent matter what size light your using this tech works period. I can post my pics again if anyone dosent wanna go back in the thread and look. I dont normally weigh out my harvest but i do fill jars. From this defoliated run i harvested 20% more bud. Peace LL

As you can see with your own eyes it makes most strains faster is you take to much to fast off large plants it can slow them down DHF has figured it out do it slow because 3 months ago he was still recommending it.

AS you can see DHF does recommend it 3 months ago he just said in previous post that if stripping a big tree it can slow them down if done to fast. I post the link so nothing can be taken out of contents why don`t you https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=241158&page=5

There`s a distinct difference between genetically bred purple strains like Heath did with Balck Russian and Purple Shiva Skunk for the pheno`s that came about as the Black Rose.......and.....

Plants that`s color up with lower lights off temps that kill chlorophyll in late flower and exhibit underlying "anthocyanin" production that`s inherent in all pot plants to a certain degree...but....

Looks like the Black Rhino`s gonna be a green pheno if there`s already budset and no colors are jumpin out..... but....there`s still time to see changes.....and....

It ain`t over till the fat lady sings Bro , so hang in there with the killer work..and.....Once stretch is completely over.....

Start takin off all the fanleaves that have a stem ..gradually over a several day period so as not to shock the plants...but...

Keep doin so till the only 1`s left on em are the 1 leafer`s juttin out the colas till end of cycle and it`ll make yas happy........

Keep on dialin Ismoke....Good luck and....

Peace...DHF.........

Here DHF talks about another advantage of defoliation https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread....on#post5277391

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHF View Post
Waaaaay back when I started growin outside in the mid 70`s , we planted 10 plant plots starting April 1st and kept puttin em out every couple weeks till July 1st to hedge our bet s against critters and termites eatin our plants.......

Our first crop tasted like ASS D9 cuz we didn`t know dick about growin dope , but my hippie ass genius botany major partner found out why with the quickness.....and....

The drying /hanging process was combined with the jarring/bagging/burping process for the proper cure before going to market from that point on.......and....

It was babyshit simple after that.....

Chlorophyll leaching is to be dealt with , and gets easier with major defoliation after complete end of stretch till end of cycle.....cuz..........

Green leafy matter left with limbs and plants during the drying process BEFORE burping and curing promotes that ASS taste and smell from chlorophyll being more dominant than the curing terpenes and such from the strain itself IME....anyways....

Never flushed a plant in my life , but rather dwindled ppm`s down toward the end below 200 ppm`s and let proper dry and cure take care of the rest.....

Respect D9....DHF..........

whodare

Veteran
you really post some stupid shit. All it takes is a few looks at his pics and you see colas NOT sacrificed.

Does the FIRST fucking pic in the FIRST fucking post, by the SAME grower you quote look like it had "sacrificed" fucking colas?

Yes it lookalike he sacrificed colas for fluff.

Here's some more stupid stuff I've posted.:tiphat:

greyskull, did you read any of the rest of the post of any of my other post?

I AM ABSOLUTELY PROMOTING PROPER PRUNING(sorry for the caps, i want clarity)

that includes, as i said before, frequent removal of sucker branches, and large leafs blocking light to lower nodes. in veg for me, 10% gets stripped a week.

i personally leave as many large leafs below as i can.

i get rid of all suckers and clear out the canopy i little more aggressively(30%) 3 days to a week before flower so that they are 100% recovered and ready to blast off in stretch.

in stretch i resume frequent but light leaf and sucker removal, and then 3-4 days before the end of stretch i clear the rest of the suckers and leafs.

from the end of stretch on its strictly leaf removal only when it is large and blocking or resting on a nearby bud, and only if it cant be tucked away.

so i repeat im for good cultural practices ie pruning throughout the grow cycle...

but extreme defoliation is only for extreme circumstances, small spaces, extreme humidity in late cycle, quick ripening(if done wrong delayed).

proper pruning is based on the situation.

if your growing in a fucking computer cab you might be able to squeeze a few grams extra out raping 80-90% of your foliage.

part of it is that to get a big enough root system you have to veg which leads to an overabundance of foliage for the space.

kudo's.

problem is

that shit doesnt scale up. if i have the space and light why the fuck would i stress the shit out of my plants to modify shape.

if you stay on top of it you can prune eveyday a few leafs here, a few sucker branches there.there is no stressing the plant that way and you will get all the benefits of increased branching, tighter nodes, increased bud quality.

so in conclusion

pruning is a necessary cultural practice in floriculture/horticulture, "defoliating" is not.

defoliating is an extreme, useful for grows in extremely small spaces...

pruning is not defoliation as described in this thread.

Proper pruning all the way through the life cycle is essential.

You cut your hair and nails right?

As usual people are at the extremes, either rape 'em or only pull a few here and there.

Absolutely the plants can have 5-10% of major fans removed every 3-4 days when in veg or stretch and growing vigorously.

In full flower 10% per week will keep all those big fans, that sweat water, off your flowers, and allow light through to help mature the lowers that don't get pruned after stretch.

If you don't do much pruning and then strip them naked at end of stretch it absolutely will stress them, what the results are have been documented by people, increased flower time, decreased yield, hermies on sensitive plants.

It is like anything in growing, proper cultural practices must be learned, applied and fined tuned through experience.

Point being proper pruning works, period. It can increase yield but it will increase quality.

This thread has a bad title.

That is all :hattip:

whodare

Veteran
These experiences match my own.... the only reason I've even bothered posting in this thread is because of the poorly applied vocabulary which is being used to describe the technique and the claims about results which were completely contrary to my own experience (all other variables being equal), and unverified aside from 'looks bigger'. From the people who have bothered to quantify their results, I have only seen one example of a measured increase which can't be attributed to 'more veg time = bigger yield'.

that is what I've been saying.

Do not defoliate(according to the actual definition of defoliate) your plants.

Do properly prune your plants, which involves the removal of the smaller lower larf sites and a few of the leaves occasionally.

That's what I've been saying too.
The technique is hit and miss, and is not for every strain or every gardening style.

and imho would be more appropriate as a section in a thread about proper pruning techniques than as a stand alone "hi:)wave:)yield technique" which is inaccurately named.

Too bad that this thread is not promoting the simple art of proper pruning technique, but it is good too, since nobody here is arguing against pruning and nobody is arguing against 'extra work'... they're against bullshit claims and misnomers. You don't seem to reaalize that the 'defoliators' have railed against the type of pruning you are discussing... They say all the lower sites you pruned away should be left, but all the fan leaves shading the larf lowers should have been removed instead. It's not a name pronunciation issue at all, and though you seem to be defending the thread, the method you use and the recommendations you made are contrary to what this thread pushes.

The truth is the truth.

Properly pruning a few leaves is not defoliation, and pruning larf sites from underneath is much better for improving production than doing like this thread recommends and stunting your plant by removing all the plants solar panels.

This is what Delta9nxs had to say to people to scared to try https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?p=3966798&highlight=delta#post3966798

thank you! no one can bring me down. i'm too busy digging the scene and having a good time spending my defoliating money on expensive toys and dinners with my beautiful wife.

did i mention i'm buying land and building a house? i figure with my defoliating money i should do a little long term investing now that i can afford it.

lmfao!

take care, bro! i've been planning on giving your beans a try. you've got some neat looking stuff.

whodare

Veteran
What good evidence, he brags about buying thing....

Guess what, I'm in my early 20s, own my home, no college, been in the game nearly a decade...

I too do this for a living, so I guess that means you shouldn't defoliate...

Sheesh...

Yes it lookalike he sacrificed colas for fluff.

Here's some more stupid stuff I've posted.:tiphat:

You obviusly haven seen these pictures of what defoliation has done to these plants https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=174163&page=41

found a picture of my last grow at day 34. Strains,Light,soil,ferts are all the same as the current grow. You can see a huge diff in bud development. Im not sure but after looking at the Apollolicious i think it could be close to finished at day 38. Its close for sure.

Last grow day 34
View Image

current grow day 36
View Image

Status
Not open for further replies.