What's new

Defoliation: Hi-Yield Technique?

Status
Not open for further replies.

justwatchin

Do you need to get all the way to the end of flower to figure out which of these plants will yield more in the same space under the same conditions, were we to flip them tomorrow?

Thank you.

That's too much!!! Your plant will be stunted for a while. You want to defoliate with the plants natural cycle to drop leaves and build buds. After the streach. The flowers of a MJ plant are perfectly capable of photosynthesis as evident by re-vegging and this method when done correctly. And has worked to increase yeilds on every strain I've ran so far. As i like to cram them in.
Defoliating too early or too much will lessen your yields or increase the time spent.

Wait till bud sites develop more fully. Defoliate slowly over a week from the bottom up. And unless it is a very leafy indica strain(In that case you would deoliate around day 20-25 and again when other fans develop around day 40-45), I do not defoliate until anything until maybe week 4.5-5. I also do not defoliate any fans that do not have that long stem part(gotta look that up, I do not know the name).

Then when defoliating you want to start from the bottom and work your way up. You also want to leave the top fans(the ones that are connected to the bud that extend about 2-4 inches down the bud) so that the plant directs it energy towards the top is my reasoning. If the fans at top are to big, or blocking other bud sight at the top cut the in half. You also only want to cut the fans that have that long stem(not to sure the technichal term) and leave the stem part on. The plant uses the energy in the stem to repare the cut and doesn't take away from growth. And do not cut any fans of the bud itself. This will stunt the bud you cut it from.

That's as good of a description as I can give without pictures, but this does work if done right, as I've done allot of experimenting with it.

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
Not just me many people.

It's quite clear just reading back a couple of pages that that isn't the case.

I'm not stopping anyone from doing anything and I'm sticking to the topic in hand. It's your rather sad whining that is taking the thread off topic.

It's obvious you want this thread to be some sort of mutual wankfest where you all sit around showing these completely ridiculous photos of piss poor looking plants and congratulating each other on how traumatised your plants look. However, this thread has never been that. From the first page people have been calling bullshit on this.

An interesting question and I'm not entirely sure. However, I can say with certainty that I'm not here to deal with the very obvious flaws in your personality or to engage in a discussion of your infantile view of what you think forum discussions should consist of.

I'm really only interested in the gardening side of it all. If I want to trade insults with an acne ridden teenager, I get plenty of opportunity to do that in the real world. That's my last word on that topic.

well, buddy, i first want to thank you for calling me an acne ridden teenager. i haven't been called that in 45 years. i was 15 then. it was about the same time i was arrested the first time for cannabis. you really know how to flatter a fellow.

you know, the whole pot scene has really changed radically since then. back then pot heads were "cool", non-judgmental, mellow folks who were kind to other people.

yes, it really was about peace and love. and tolerance.

not any more. now people can't even have a peaceful, constructive dialogue about their hobby without being repeatedly attacked for even attempting.

are you sure you are even using cannabis? sounds like you may have gotten hold of something else. don't you want to be high rather than just get high? is the idea of expanding your consciousness and becoming a better person now passe?

belligerence and aggression are usually associated with alcoholics.

now, i really would like you, mr. el toker, with all of your advanced growing experience, to respond to these photos and interpret them for all of these nice people.

i sincerely apologize to everyone for posting them yet again but no one against defoliating has been able to adequately describe what happened here.

this plant was grown without any defoliation at all until 21 days flower. at that point it was stripped hard, one time. it weighed, dry bud, 18.38 oz's. it was the largest plant i had ever grown at the time. i now have a plant in at 20.07 oz's. grown the same way.

when i say that it is the largest plant i have ever grown does that not include all plants that i have ever grown?

and does not including all plants i have ever grown mean the non-defoliated ones too?

is it not fair to say that, in my case, defoliation has, at least, not hurt me?

i know your first response will be that since i "don't have a side by side" to compare it to it is meaningless. that it is not "proof".

no one, at any point in this thread, has offered what they themselves would call proof presentable for scientific review. but no one, including the op, said they would.

rather, i have proven it to myself, just as some of the others who have actually tried it have.

i have done months of these done exactly as described above and i'm here to say to the world that this technique radically improved my yields. i do one plant a week so there are more than 12 plants that have been run like this. it has definitely been a "high yield" technique for me.

further, i began running a group through 4 or 5 weeks ago, one plant per week again, where i defoliated at the onset of 12/12 and again at the end of stretch. i haven't seen the results from these yet.

lastly, in my efforts to really find out for myself what k33ftr33z does i have been defoliating in veg stage using different timing and severity. seven weeks veg, which is typical for me. i have not been extending veg time. i have then defoliated them again at onset of flower and intend to hit them once more in flower at the end of stretch.

by the time i have run all of these plants i will know, for sure, whether or not some or all of these approaches have helped me. and really, isn't that enough.

i was curious enough to risk my plants and my money to find out. if you are not, that's cool, diamond jim.

btw, el toker, old buddy, i can't find much evidence on this site of you having grown much of anything. i put up some pics, it's your turn to show us how to do it. And I am really looking forward to your analysis.

yours truly, d9

Last edited:

slowandeasy

Veteran
el toker, at this point you have repeatedly stated your disapproval of this technique and this thread.

many times.

everyone understands your opposition.

won't you please move on so other people can do what they want to do?

why are you here if you are not personally interested in exploring this subject?

If you have not noticed, El Toker only posts after H3ad does. My guess is, he is in love with him and wants to imitate his answers. Nothing original, just one-sided hate. Ignorance is what I call it.

slowandeasy

Veteran
It's not "hate" dude by any stretch of the imagination. More embarrassment that this thread is a sticky on a forum that I post on and I'm sad to say that I have read the whole thread, although I do admit to "skimming" k33ft3rs posts as he does go on a bit.

You've already said this, that the "proof" is on thread, but you're not going to point it out. It's not possible to prove the non-existence of something.

I have.

Grow up.

So it can work sometimes for some people, but for some people it won't work and it will reduce their yield. But they have to find out for themselves whether it works for them because you can't test it because yield varies so much naturally. Despite this you know that it works for you.
:laughing:

Listen closely douche bag. I have documented proof of my grows in this thread. I have also listed Pro's and Con's, which there are plenty of each. You come in here and demand proof and where to find it. It is right in front of your face, do the reading yourself. Look at the pictures yourself. It is not my job to re post my experiences time and time again.
Instead of using your time to spread hate with zero experience, take time to look at the experienced growers results. It is very hard to sift all of the SHIT in this thread because half of the posts are arguing and belittling. For some reason the important posts get shadowed by posts from people like you. You are a troll, move along now.

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
hey, el toker, when you say you don't believe me do you mean you think those photos are rigged?

anyone with real grow experience knows those photos are the real deal. even those experienced growers who have posted here against defoliation would not say such a thing as they would know from a glance those are all of the same plant.

dates right on the photos too. before defoliation, after defoliation, and right before whacking.

and for the record, i don't get much stalling doing this at this time.

and so, again, mr. el toker, interpret my plants response to defoliating.

you say you have already done so? where? it is not on this thread.

i'm talking about this plant in particular, you know, the one right in front of you.

and where are your plants? in your dreams?

hey, you know what? this is starting to be fun! i think i'll turn off pandora just so i can play with you some more.

D

DHF

You know......I didn`t come into this thread ta naysay and put folks down that have profited from this with their personal setups , but..........

I`ve gotta say that after dialin Chem D where I couldn`t squeeze any more out of her in many rooms and locations for a WHILE , that Jro`s leaf strippin technique @ day 21 and 45 cost me 2 weeks extra flowering to swell em up to 10 weeks results as the norm.........

12 weeks for the same harvey results is NOT a high yield technique , and I`m no dumbass......Shit works for some with some strains/varieties with what they`re happy with result -wise........

Sucked big dick for me cuz at the time my rooms weren`t staggered perpetual and cost me buncha extra expense on everything from powerbills to fuckin up the next runs cuz the cuts got too big and hadta be topped and chopped causin the bush effect.........

Not the plant structure I strived for in my rooms for max lumen penetration.......Guess I shoulda stripped those plants too huh ?..........I`m just sayin.......

Good luck with all ya`lls stress management on your plants......If it works for your setup and increases your bottom line , then that`s really all that matters..........I always wanted in and out as fast as humanly possible with EVERY room I ran........

That`s why they make chocolate and vanilla ice cream.........Choices....Just don`t bash me for knowin it fucked me up cuz I assure everyone it had nuthin ta do with grower error.......

Why can`t we all just get along........DHF.........:ying:....

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
You know......I didn`t come into this thread ta naysay and put folks down that have profited from this with their personal setups , but..........

I`ve gotta say that after dialin Chem D where I couldn`t squeeze any more out of her in many rooms and locations for a WHILE , that Jro`s leaf strippin technique @ day 21 and 45 cost me 2 weeks extra flowering to swell em up to 10 weeks results as the norm.........

12 weeks for the same harvey results is NOT a high yield technique , and I`m no dumbass......Shit works for some with some strains/varieties with what they`re happy with result -wise........

Sucked big dick for me cuz at the time my rooms weren`t staggered perpetual and cost me buncha extra expense on everything from powerbills to fuckin up the next runs cuz the cuts got too big and hadta be topped and chopped causin the bush effect.........

Not the plant structure I strived for in my rooms for max lumen penetration.......Guess I shoulda stripped those plants too huh ?..........I`m just sayin.......

Good luck with all ya`lls stress management on your plants......If it works for your setup and increases your bottom line , then that`s really all that matters..........I always wanted in and out as fast as humanly possible with EVERY room I ran........

That`s why they make chocolate and vanilla ice cream.........Choices....Just don`t bash me for knowin it fucked me up cuz I assure everyone it had nuthin ta do with grower error.......

Why can`t we all just get along........DHF.........:ying:....

respect! thank you!

D

DHF

Here`s the thing........I went against my gut instincts and listened to a guy that I`d known online for several yrs.......

Helped him start growing at 1 of the dead sites and lost track of him for a few yrs till seein his "magic formula" and I fell for it.......

I KNEW the plants would stall and take recovery time , but I was assured it would be worth the wait........And then......

I was told NOT ta trim scrag out from underneath and shape the plants before flip as I`ve ALWAYS done for upper cola development , due to how much light that would be available to the increased lower budsites created from the FIRST strip that ended up as a crock of shit......

The 2nd strip shut em down again with no nutrient uptake and ppm`s risin with ph droppin........pissed me off.....Was told it must`ve been strain related.......

Wanted ta choke his ass.....but......it did make fer some easy trimmin......silver lining ta cloud kinda shit /positive mental attitude ta move forward and forget the extra expense when I FUKIN KNEW BETTER......

Retired over here for over yr and a half due to security issues....

Anyways.....Ya`ll carry on......

Peace....DHF......:ying:....

TruthOrLie

Veteran
Yea, really. What's up with the douche bag, curse words, and troll labeling.

If you don't agree with someone that's fine, but why all the name calling and hostility.

Do you have children? Maybe if you did you'd learn some patience in learning how to properly explain things to people who are having a difficult time understanding.

No one is demanding you do anything to show any proof...

WE ARE ASKING IF SOMEONE WOULD _PLEASE_ SHOW SOME MORE SOLID PROOF.

slowandeasy

Veteran
Here`s the thing........I went against my gut instincts and listened to a guy that I`d known online for several yrs.......

Helped him start growing at 1 of the dead sights and lost track of him for a few yrs till seein his "magic formula" and I fell for it.......

I KNEW the plants would stall and take recovery time , but I was assured it would be worth the wait........And then......

I was told NOT ta trim scrag out from underneath and shape the plants before flip as I`ve ALWAYS done for upper cola development , due to how much light that would be available to the increased lower budsites created from the FIRST strip that ended up as a crock of shit......

The 2nd strip shut em down again with no nutrient uptake and ppm`s risin with ph droppin........pissed me off.....Was told it must`ve been strain related.......

Wanted ta choke his ass.....but......it did make fer some easy trimmin......silver lining ta cloud kinda shit /positive mental attitude ta move forward and forget the extra expense when I FUKIN KNEW BETTER......

Retired over here for over yr and a half due to security issues....

Anyways.....Ya`ll carry on......

Peace....DHF......:ying:....

FWIW, I believe you that it could have effected your Chem D that way. Certain strains take abuse more than others. I know for a fact certain strains do not like it in VEG...my Indica hated it....but all of my sativas love it. Strain dependent for sure. But that is a risk you take trying any new method. I like to experiment, since I know my strains so well. I know what they normally do, so I do not mind trying something that could increase my yield.
For me, it works really well on my Sativas and increased my yield by 25%. For me it works really well in Veg if vegging for over 4 weeks, I have to veg 8...so it is perfect. For me it is bad on Indica's in Veg. For me just defoliating in Flower a couple of times results in denser, bigger buds all the way down. This works for ME, and that is all that matters!
I am sorry you had a bad experience, I believe you 100 percent. But know, it does work well on some plants. I know some of Rez's gear can be picky. I will continue to defoliate on certain strains...but some are not meant to be defoliated. It is far from a perfect method, but if used in the right way on the right plants...it is perfect. To each is own, and if it ruined my flowering plants I would be pissed too...but keep an open mind, it has it's place.

_Dude

IMO, if it's not in a peer-reviewed paper, it's "advice." If it isn't advice coming from pretty much everyone, it's "experimental advice." Proof, no.

slowandeasy

Veteran
It's not "hate" dude by any stretch of the imagination. More embarrassment that this thread is a sticky on a forum that I post on and I'm sad to say that I have read the whole thread, although I do admit to "skimming" k33ft3rs posts as he does go on a bit.

You've already said this, that the "proof" is on thread, but you're not going to point it out. It's not possible to prove the non-existence of something.

I have.

Grow up.

So it can work sometimes for some people, but for some people it won't work and it will reduce their yield. But they have to find out for themselves whether it works for them because you can't test it because yield varies so much naturally. Despite this you know that it works for you.
:laughing:

It is actually sad that there are so many narrow-minded people such as yourself on this Forum.

Yes it will work for people if they defoliate in Veg and have to Veg for over 4 weeks. Anything less than that is a waste IMO. There is no rule that you have to defoliate in VEG, and I do not recommend it unless you HAVE to veg for over 4 weeks.
It does not work good on my Indica.
It works very well on all of my Sativas
It increased my yield by 25%
It works well for height restricted people
It produced more, dense buds all the way down on MY plants

Now for the people who will not benefit from this method. Do not bother defoliating if you only Veg a few weeks.
If you have a huge room and multiple 1000 watt lights, you might benefit....but is it worth your trouble?? It can be a lot of work for a huge set up. That is up to you.
If your strain is picky, do not try it.
If you are afraid to experiment, do not try.

If you do not agree with this thread be respectful to those who put time and effort into showing proof. Atleast we are sharing our experiences, not just making shit up. Sorry I called you a douche bag...but you have nothing good to add to this thread and try to cause trouble. You called me immature, to me...being immature is accusing people of being liars, even though they have documented proof. What would I gain by making shit up? It is getting really old trying to defend a method that I know works. If you are a good grower, you should be dialed in. If you are dialed in, you can afford to experiment. If you fail, oh well...but if it makes your garden more efficient...then it is worth the try.

There are way too many people that have blinders on in this thread. There is no RIGHT way for everyone to grow...but there is a RIGHT way for Yourself to grow! What might work for me...might not work for you. Universal for every method. Your job as a grower should be to make your garden produce to it's full potential. How you do it is up to you. A scrog might work well for me, but SOG might be better for you. Experimentation is the only way to know.
Not 1 person in here who said it works for them, EVER said it is the best method out there. Every single one of us said it works for us...and we all have the same attitude. It works for us, and that is all that matters!!!!
But I could count 1000 times where people say it is useless. Keep your blinders on, but please stop harassing the rest of us. If you failed and are bitter....sorry blame yourself. We did not make you do anything, you are all grown people. Anytime you switch methods, expect to do worse...it is new! If you are a total NEWBIE....learn to grow first.

D

DHF

There`s not an oz of bullshit in me , and never bought a seed in my life and yeah I understand about ......

The cut I received by the grace of God was as stable as the original Mom , but did NOT like the torture ......

Just tryin ta put things in perspective Bro........

Peace...DHF....:ying:.....

Status
Not open for further replies.