What's new

Deadliest catch

Molson

that is what an addiction to pills does to people. i am sure part of him feels responsible for his dads death but Phil Harris didn't take care of himself at all. he isn't 100% at fault at all. i was disappointed too but Phil was right something hadn't been adding up. Hopefully Jake is getting some help and isn't worse now after his dads death. He can be a good kid, but has shown to be immature and makes bad decisions. I just hope he can turn that around before he ends up like his dad, and dies young because he couldn't take care of himself.

Continuing to smoke after having a blood clot go through you probably wasn't the smartest thing to do, but I think Phil knew the road he was going down, knew he wasn't going to be around for another 10 years and strangely it seemed he was OK with that.

Going into opie season physically dependent on opiates probably wasn't the smartest thing to do. With-drawling on a crab boat? Yikes. Bone head move on Jake's part. But it's hard to know how deep into the rabbit hole Jake was. Puking, diarrhea, nausea, shakes... Opiate WDs ("sickness") can be brutal.

Don't get me wrong, I love drifting on cloud 9 for a few hours on a heavy dose of oxycodone, but keep that shit in check. Keep your priorities in check for christs sake. Definitely lost some respect for Jake on this one. What a way to end the episode. You figure anybody else but his son and he'd be fired once they hit the dock.

pearlemae

May your race always be in your favor
Veteran
I'd say that Jake getting busted by his Dad is what the stressor was that caused the stroke. It's a given that his health was beyond bad but the added stress of Jake put the old Blood pressure up to the point of blowing a vein. Sorry it happened, I liked Capt. Phil's persona.

Universal Chill

While I know the gateway drug propaganda is not true I do remember a few seasons back Jake Harris was shown going into the engine room to smoke pot and then later was shown with red eyes talking into the camera. Technically legal in the state of Alaska to possess cannabis however with the risks that exist in that work environment it was not a smart thing to be doing.

Earlier this season there was an exchange of words between Jake and Josh Harris that going out to fish was like "Seahab" for Jake. Not a big surprise given the amount of money these guys are making and the amount of back breaking work they do in such a short amount of time. Stealing medicine from his own father is really despicable and shows the lack of respect and morals addicts have. I hope he gets his shit together and continues the family fishing tradition with his brother. Even if he knows how to operate the ship and can find the crab I doubt he has the business knowledge or entrepreneurial spirit that his father had that made the Cornelia Marie so successful.

Most merchant vessels these days require drug testing so addicts are very rare in the professional shipping world. Fishers and Fishing companies are an exception because of the turnover rate and amount of temporary employees due to short seasons and volume.

shaunmulok

Don't drink and drive home, Smoke dope and fly hom
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Here is the latest episode Season 6 episode 12
http://www.divxden.com/ajgyr3aef26u/aaf-deadliest.catch.s06e11.hdtv.avi.html

Sorry for the Delay a bloody possum chewed through my phone cable so i have had no net,phone or pay tv for the last 3 days and it cost a small fortune to have fixed and the possum removed to a new location
I haven't even had time to watch it yet but i'm going to now
Shaun

darwinsbulldog

Landrace Lover
Veteran
cheers for that shaun! that sucks about the possum lol pretty bizarre though, had a pet rabbit that would chew through all our tv and electrical chords when inside... can't believe it was never electrocuted.. bloody thing! :D

shaunmulok

ICMag Donor
Veteran
just got finished watching ep.12 and i would have to say that was 1 of the emotional things i have ever watched,
At first i was upset for Jake on the Northwestern,
Then my hearts just sank for Phill...Me being a parent i know how hard it would be to hear those words"I'M A ADDICT"But Phill being the great father he was he was quick to set Jake strait and reconciled with him very quick(that got me emotional)
From there on i just knew when he said i have to cut the trip short what was coming...
Hard to watch from then on KNOWING the outcome...its very Erie

R.I.P Capt. Phill. Deadliest Catch just wont be the same now :(

darwinsbulldog

Landrace Lover
Veteran
just got finished watching ep.12 and i would have to say that was 1 of the emotional things i have ever watched,
At first i was upset for Jake on the Northwestern,
Then my hearts just sank for Phill...Me being a parent i know how hard it would be to hear those words"I'M A ADDICT"But Phill being the great father he was he was quick to set Jake strait and reconciled with him very quick(that got me emotional)
From there on i just knew when he said i have to cut the trip short what was coming...
Hard to watch from then on KNOWING the outcome...its very Erie

R.I.P Capt. Phill. Deadliest Catch just wont be the same now :(

mmmm not looking forward to watching that ep :(

Molson

This episode may be one of the best of the season so far with all the turmoil on boats boiling over. Keith slipped up and fell back into an old habit (not that anyone gives a fuck) the Hillstrand brothers have heavy matters weighing on their shoulders about the future, Phil's health has worsened dramatically. The rest of the season is sure to be a roller coaster. Does anyone know if this is the last season of deadliest catch?

Also, I encourage everyone to watch "After the Catch." It's just as good, if not better than the regular episodes. It's kind of like "director's commentary" except "captain's commentary."

shaunmulok

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thanks for the heads up Molson
Here is a site with a few links to after the catch but i cant seem to find anything after season 4
http://www.sidereel.com/After_the_Catch
Are they still making it? if so anyone got a link to the more recent seasons

Last edited:

shaunmulok

ICMag Donor
Veteran
ok after a bit of googling i found out there has only been 4 seasons of After the catch aired so the link i provided covers the last 4 years

NOKUY

Veteran
the census ppl or whoever traks shows i dont think they really know.

they say that its a record that 5 million ppl watched last weeks episode....well if im just countin the US then that only 1 in 50 ppl...and i know that i can ask any 10 ppl and @ least 7 have seen it...so what the dilly yo???

shaunmulok

ICMag Donor
Veteran
oh sorry that was me that posted the link, my wife must have been signed in on my computer
That was another emotional ep.
from the minute the ep started and Phill said to Josh I'm not leaving ya yet to the end where the word was spreading through the fleet and Josh was on the Plane.
It was great to see Jonathan from the Time Bandit there to pick up Josh and show his support and Andy spreading the word Just put the Hilstrand boys another peg higher in my book
It was also sad to see how the news devastated the fleet...Phill must have been very highly respected and loved by them all
Freddy looks a mess, looks like its hitting close to home for him considering his Father passed away in Australia while Freddy was out fishing opies with Phill
Cant wait to catch up on after the catch
till next week
R.I.P Phill

RudolfTheRed

Veteran
10 out of 10 scenes Phil was smoking or drinking caffine (coffee, red bull, etc.) so i don't blame his son Jake at all.

the dude was coughing up blood two seasons ago and didn't even go to the hospital until a few days had passed.

guy point blank didn't take care of himself. we all know cigarettes can lead to people having heart attacks. how do we not know that last cigarette he lit up wasn't what set him over the edge? we have all seen the tests done with cigarettes. just having one can have a dramatic effect on your body. imagine having 1 every 15-25 minutes, along with a few ounces (possible gallons) of caffeine every day. i loved watching phil as much anyway because he reminded me of my old man but he had no regard for his own health.

Most merchant vessels these days require drug testing so addicts are very rare in the professional shipping world. Fishers and Fishing companies are an exception because of the turnover rate and amount of temporary employees due to short seasons and volume.
PFFFFFFFTTT, YEAH RIGHT. I have worked in several industries over the years including contracting and have worked for/know several contractors that drug test and i guarantee you every one of them hired/or has someone that works for them that passed and still does drugs. i know this because i was hired and i passed several piss test and i was smoking the night before. i have also talked to a lot of guys with similar stories. i know several truck drivers that are tested often but all of them are jacked up on amphetamines to stay awake. just because they give you drug tests that don't mean squat. some places test once and that is it. some test on the reg. but hey, that didn't stop barry bonds did it?

"Deadliest Catch" is a bit misleading. A show about a bare handed, blind, poisonous snake wrangler would be a more deadly catch. Now how is that show ever going to get on the air?

They should have used - "Somewhat Dangerous Catch", and left room for the snake handler show instead of just grabbing the top title.