What's new

Dead hawk with band, what to do if someone finds that

Space Toker

Veteran
Let's just say this is hypothetical and leave it at that please. If someone had a hawk fly into the window and die, and that hawk had a band with info on it (with a dot gov website listed), what would happen if you used that info to make contact? This someone would want reassurances ahead of time that no one would need to come visit and certainly no one would need to come into the house to examine the window. This someone may enjoy birds and want to know the life history of the bird, without speaking to anyone law enforcement or government related. Or would want to meet the appropriate person in a neutral location and bring the bird without personal info being exchanged if that info would lead to the need to see the window. Is this possible? Basically this someone wants to know the experiences anyone has had who has been faced with this situation, and what was involved. Thank you!

razor ridge

i its like ducks, you just enter simple info on the website, they want locations of the birds history, migratory routes, nesting areas and such. There should be no personal info needed to be provided. If there is exit the site.

Space Toker

Veteran
why that reaction yort? what is wrong with wanting to know ahead of time what's involved? Being a hawk that may be protected, they may want to see where the death occured for confirmation purposes. This someone, for obvious reasons, has problems with "officials" visiting the residence, and major problems if it involves home entry. But they want to "do the right thing" and would love to find out more on this bird and would not mind meeting someone to discuss wildlife in general, if at another location. What is that so hard to understand? Would they have to see the bird, and if so would they know it was killed by a window and not a human? Their conflict between wanting to further research and wanting no potential of contact at the residence is agonizing. This person would like to know where the bird was banded as well, as there is no state or federal land or universities within several miles. thanks

WelderDan

Veteran
The whole idea behind tagging birds or fish or other animals is to learn about their habits, migratory patterns, range, etc. The folks that study this aren't interested in you, they are only after the data that people that find the tagged animal report.

No one is going to come in your home. They just want to know where the animal was found. The fact it is dead really isn't an issue. Critters die, by natural reasons as well misadventure. Unless you shot it, you aren't going to be under any suspicion.

But if you aren't comfortable interacting with a wildlife biologist, just bury it. It's not like the department of Interior is going to go Waco on you for a dead Hawk on your property though.

Sisu

Veteran
Good post by WelderDan.

The information could be really useful for someone, but I understand why some folks might be reticent.

Space Toker

Veteran
If a potentially threatened bird (it is in some states, not sure in this one) is dead, they would just take someone's word for it and not want to see it? Could they determine if it was a window death rather than being shot, and if not well, you can see where this is headed, false suspicions leading to problems. However, this person could prove it by the feathers on the window but would not want visitors. Biut, this person was himself trained as a wildlife biologist and if things had been a little different would have been one. They would therefore love to be involved with any local birding project and see if it can develop into an employment opportunity or at least volunteer help. Would love in other words to turn a tragedy into a good thing. (but is scared to go on a govt website or phone line in fears of being trapped, in other words no indication ahead of time that entering info will later require personal info if it involves a certain species, and revealing the tag number and not completing the personal info may lead to problems). They have lovingly watched this bird or others like it in their yard for at least 7 years (so it's personal) and would love to further the research if it did not lead to negative reprecussions.

Space Toker

Veteran
Using a public computer may be an option, but at the library they require your library card for that. Personal info in other words

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
What if it wasn't really a real hawk?

It may have been a government drone...

you may be in deep shit now......

Jhhnn

Veteran
If you really want to know about it, take the bird to the nearest fish & wildlife office, just tell 'em the truth, that you found it dead on your property, tell 'em you're interested about the bird, the way they tag & track them, so forth & so on. They get tagged dead critters all the time & people curious about it all, too. Or cut the band off, mail it anonymously with a note about the date & approx location. Or just bury it & forget it.

Visible paranoia sets off alarms in their heads, so don't go near 'em if you can't control that.

When doing track inspection, a coworker at my former employer found a radio collar on a dead coyote that had been hit by one of our trains. We sent it in the mail, asked 'em to fill us in. They sent back a thank you note, told us about when & where the critter had been tagged, sex, weight & estimated age. Kinda cool to find out, really.

Oh, yeh- they did tell us that the collar had quit working a year earlier, too.

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'd go this way instead

I'd go this way instead

I'm going to suggest that you strip the bird of its feathers, gut it and remove the head, clip off the feet and you're ready to rock. Melt 3 Tbsp of butter in a 10" skillet, once melted add salt, pepper and one clove of minced garlic; add your bird and bring the heat up to med-hi, carefully continue to turn your hawk evenly browning it, when done remove the bird and put it your slow cooker where you've already.......

Space Toker

Veteran
What if it wasn't really a real hawk?

It may have been a government drone...

you may be in deep shit now......

yeah I thought this kind of remark would be inevitable, and to be honest I heard about drones that look like birds. But this was a bird so let's take this serious please. thanks

Galactic

All very valid points above, standard citizen/cooperative response stuff.

Being a participant and starting this relationship brings 'attention'. It's up to you how much you are comfortable with.

'Attention' itself is not inherently bad, but once you are in the 'possession' of it, you do not control where its good or bad qualities lean.

It's like driving a car. Let's say driving is like 'possessing' a vehicle, an object having a specific and usually harmless purpose I.e. travel. But once this 'posession' occurs, what happens on the road is up to the universe. Sure, you can 'avoid' accidents, but you also cannot logically avoid a specific event which did not take place in space-time. You simply avoided another car while 'traveling'

The only option for control of actual outcome in this situation is bury it out of your reality completely. Like how you were on the path of when telling this fictional story.

Unwrite it.

Space Toker

Veteran
If you really want to know about it, take the bird to the nearest fish & wildlife office, just tell 'em the truth, that you found it dead on your property, tell 'em you're interested about the bird, the way they tag & track them, so forth & so on. They get tagged dead critters all the time & people curious about it all, too. Or cut the band off, mail it anonymously with a note about the date & approx location. Or just bury it & forget it.

Visible paranoia sets off alarms in their heads, so don't go near 'em if you can't control that.

When doing track inspection, a coworker at my former employer found a radio collar on a dead coyote that had been hit by one of our trains. We sent it in the mail, asked 'em to fill us in. They sent back a thank you note, told us about when & where the critter had been tagged, sex, weight & estimated age. Kinda cool to find out, really.

Oh, yeh- they did tell us that the collar had quit working a year earlier, too.

yes the age and when/where/how it was tagged, and any data on lts life would be the primary interest here.

Space Toker

Veteran

I'm going to suggest that you strip the bird of its feathers, gut it and remove the head, clip off the feet and you're ready to rock. Melt 3 Tbsp of butter in a 10" skillet, once melted add salt, pepper and one clove of minced garlic; add your bird and bring the heat up to med-hi, carefully continue to turn your hawk evenly browning it, when done remove the bird and put it your slow cooker where you've already.......

I'll read that again when I am in a better mood maybe it will be funny then. I know you mean well trying to lighten the situation so thanks for that.
Galactic, sounds interesting I think please elaborate.

Jhhnn

Veteran
yes the age and when/where/how it was tagged, and any data on lts life would be the primary interest here.

You def won't get any of that unless you hook up with them, tell 'em who you are & so forth. Maybe not even then.

Have you gone to the website?