What's new

Dead hawk with band, what to do if someone finds that

armedoldhippy

Veteran
if it had been a bald eagle, you leave it where it fell (or somewhere else :biggrin:) & call the Fish & Wildlife folks. no feathers for keepsakes. BIG fines/jail term attached. anything else, I would say "it flew into my Moms/cousins/grandpas window & died."(somewhere else again) banded ducks/geese will get you a neat little certificate showing when/where it was captured & banded. possession of ANY bird of prey, owl, buzzard etc is against federal law.

Space Toker

Veteran
thanks for the info. yeah it is not in anyone's possession as it is in the stomach of some animal, most likely gray fox. Good info to know for sure.

Space Toker

Veteran
I took a risk but glad I did, even though I did not get any info, I hope it helps some researcher get some closure. Never did see that 2nd cooper's hawk again, but have to hope it is still in the area and will see it again soon!

L

Luther Burbank

Hawks and such, and honestly most migratory song birds, are protected under federal law. The feds might have fucked up the drug laws, but the older laws enacted to protect our nation's wildlife are pretty good. We're better off being active citizens helping the positive sides of our government like this than we are shunning all aspects of it because we break laws about cultivation.

Space Toker

Veteran
yes indeed my man, ok that is a little too much but forgive me I am excited! ;) I do agree though, the fed is fucked thorughjly as far as drug laws but I differ with the tea party people that no fed laws are good, I agree with you that I think they are in environental affairs. Clean water clean air endangered species, all good need I say more! I hope they or someone is finally figuring it out with hemp/cannabis/marinuaa, but if not we can make good reason and common sense happen yet! what was I trying to say? hope I made some sense! :D

Space Toker

Veteran
ok I think i was somewhere else on that one! at any rate, I am happy there is some closure here if not even enough! I do hope the other coopers shows itself. don't know if I mentioned it here elsewhere or not at all, but hearing noises in the grow spaces. wondered if it was some cloaked sob or grow room ghost tormenting me, or some animal loose or whatever but turned out to be at least the 2nd htgsupply fan dying on me and making funky screeching noises in the process, must get fans elsewhere I think! ;)

Space Toker

Veteran
I did consider this as well a while back, don't know how it made it into this thread but I guess we think alike on a cosmic level, thanks for that! Did see no more coopers hawk after that brief appearance of the 2nd one. Also never heard back from anyone as they promised about the dead one. Well I did enjoy his/her presence while alive, I knew he was healthy and had an accident as could happen to the best of us. So I know he lived his life to the fullest, an example for us all! ;) RIP my cooper friend!

catbuds

SToker. I feel for you. I would be concerned too. I'd freeze it, put some freezer ice pack whatcha ma callets in with it & mail it to the appropriate place. Agree with Jhhnn on every point except I wouldn't bury it, unless removing the collar, sending it back saying you found it on a decayed carcus in the woods. I'd be interested in its history too. Poor hawk! Was it a red tail? They're protected here.

Wendull C.

Veteran
Some times you shoot a deer or bear with a tracking collar legally within the hunting season and they will bend over backwards to meet you and then thank you profusely for caring enough to get them their info back.
These guys are biologists and won't bother you at all. Ime

armedoldhippy

Veteran
yes, I have bagged tagged ducks before. you send in the numbers on the tag(s) & get a neat certificate in the mail telling where it was tagged & when. the biologists just want to know where & when, so they can track their migration routes , life expectancies, feeding areas etc. of course, a shotgun blast just might affect the life expectancy part...