What's new

Darwin's First Breeding Project

Darwin's First Breeding Project

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

darwinsbulldog

Landrace Lover
Veteran
i mean when you using more males instead of females this gives you more genetic variations and less more chances of bottlenecking...:blowbubbles:

i know what you mean, but that only occurs if you're using one female and lots of males, or visa versa. ie. you'll get more genetic variation using 10 males on one female than 5 males on one female. by the same rule, using 1 male on 10 females will result in as equally healthy offspring as using 10 males on 1 female, because what you have is 11 individuals combining their genes in both scenarios, it doesn't matter which are male and which are female, as long as they are all breeding together, but if you cut the numbers from 11 to 6 using 1 female and 5 males or 5 females and 1 male, both of those scenarios are as genetically healthy as one another, but in comparison to the 11 (10f/1m or 1f/10m) it is a bottle neck, you've lost 5 individuals from your Ne (effective population size). do you get what i mean mate? :D

darwinsbulldog

Landrace Lover
Veteran
UPDATE - at 12 days flowering today, lots of balls, a few pistils too but the boys are maturing much more quickly it seems.

here's something interesting the tri foliate girl has done, she topped herself naturally.

picture.php

picture.php

here's one of the best looking males, this one is the most mature so far
picture.php

picture.php

here's one of the best looking girls, pistils starting to form, she's got lovely vigour
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

darwinsbulldog

Landrace Lover
Veteran
hey shroomy and penguin :D nice to hear from you guys! yeah penguin i'll probably use her as one of a handful in my mazar-i-sharif ibl. i might also mix her genetics with gypsy nirvana's MIS that i'll have in the future, nice dark colours and good resin production in gypsy's, unsure what to expect with this MIS resin production wise. fingers crossed it's got something nice in there somewhere :D

T

THE PABLOS

i know what you mean, but that only occurs if you're using one female and lots of males, or visa versa. ie. you'll get more genetic variation using 10 males on one female than 5 males on one female. by the same rule, using 1 male on 10 females will result in as equally healthy offspring as using 10 males on 1 female, because what you have is 11 individuals combining their genes in both scenarios, it doesn't matter which are male and which are female, as long as they are all breeding together, but if you cut the numbers from 11 to 6 using 1 female and 5 males or 5 females and 1 male, both of those scenarios are as genetically healthy as one another, but in comparison to the 11 (10f/1m or 1f/10m) it is a bottle neck, you've lost 5 individuals from your Ne (effective population size). do you get what i mean mate? :D

On the subject of bottle necks...I'm of the mind...that if you get stuck in such a situation....that a quick outcross... out of that specific gene pool...but crossed into to a compatible pool...at least adds the ability to find different phenotypes... extending the pool. I guess if you are sticking to the pureness of a line....you may not want to outcross....yet I see it as completely necessary. I'll admit to not swimming in the same pool for very long...for the health of the genes...and my state of mind.

darwinsbulldog

Landrace Lover
Veteran
On the subject of bottle necks...I'm of the mind...that if you get stuck in such a situation....that a quick outcross... out of that specific gene pool...but crossed into to a compatible pool...at least adds the ability to find different phenotypes... extending the pool. I guess if you are sticking to the pureness of a line....you may not want to outcross....yet I see it as completely necessary. I'll admit to not swimming in the same pool for very long...for the health of the genes...and my state of mind.

yeah it all depends in the end, it's heavily dependent on Ne. if you're creating an IBL with 20 individuals per generation open pollinating, this will remain a much healthier line than if you're only using 2 individuals per generation, theoretically anyway. however in the short term inbreeding depression may be an issue if you go through a bottle neck, however after a few generations of heavy selection where you may have even a huge proportion of individuals being unsuitable to breed with, by removing these individuals of lower fitness, and if you expand the Ne a bit, you'll increase genetic health of the line, all be it slower than if you outcrossed or back crossed to more distantly related individuals.

i'm currently looking for multiple sources of each strain when i breed up seed stock. i'll keep some pure for each line in open pollination (ie RSC MIS pure, Gyspy MIS pure) but i'd also be interested in combining the genes of both MIS lines to increase variation and subsequent genetic health. :D when doing this and using the cross of the related MIS strains to create your IBL, you could backcross/outcross to individuals from the pure lines of either Gypsy or RSC MIS to increase genetic health when you've inbreed for a while. so i might follow these techniques in the future.

darwinsbulldog

Landrace Lover
Veteran
thought i'd write up a little info on MIS.

Mazar-i-Sharif

15czkbb.jpg

Mazār-i-Sharīf or Mazār-e Sharīf (Persian: مزارِ شریف Persian pronunciation: [ˌmæˈzɒːr ˌiː ʃæˈriːf]) is the fourth largest city of Afghanistan, with population of 300,600 people (2006 estimate). It is the capital of Balkh province and is linked by roads to Kabul in the south-east, Herat to the west and Uzbekistan to the north. Mazari Sharif means "Noble Shrine," a reference to the large, blue-tiled sanctuary and mosque in the center of the city known as the Shrine of Hazrat Ali or the Blue Mosque.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mazar-i-Sharif

This strain's natural environment is just beyond the Hindu Kush mountains in the lowland desert oasis towns of Balkh and Mazar-i-sharif, located in the north of Afghanistan. It is renowned for producing high quality sieved charas called "Shirak-i-Mazar" meaning "Milk of Mazar". This strain has long been cultivated by the Turkic, Tajik and Pashtun tribes people of the region. Mazar-i-Sharif landraces thrive in cold conditions and are reported to turn dark red in cold temperatures, like the conditions in which it is grown and harvested in the Mazar region in November. The strain has chemotypes that are likely to be high in the chemical CBD known for its medicinal properties. Cultivars bred from this line have great potency with great resin production and high yields. The high quality sieved charas from Mazar-i-Sharif has a rich hashy aroma and a nice mellow high that relaxes body and mind. This strain is described by old hands as very similar to the Afghan genetics brought to the West in the days of the Hippy Trail. As with the older Afghan strains, phenotypes are highly variable and include expressions suitable for indoor cultivation.

Gypsy Nirvana's Mazar-i-Sharif that i was told he collected himself has dark phenotypes and high resin production much similar in appearance to Deep Chunk, a well known Afghan IBL by Tom Hill.

picture.php

picture.php

These photos are courtesy of a grower/breeder named Oscar.

Genetics: Pure North Afghan Charas Cultivar
Latitude: 36°N
Regional Maturation: October to November
Height: 2 - 4 meters in natural outdoor environment in Mazar-i-Sharif.
Yield: 1kg to 2 kg of dried flowers in natural outdoor environment
Characteristics: lowland desert cultivar with wide leaved characteristics, big resin production, and a pungent hashy aroma; handsome yields
Grow Type: Outdoor, Greenhouse, or Indoor (requires experience)

DUGG

ill see how yours turn out darwin then i might have to pop a few of my mazar beans and see what happens

shroomyshroom

Doing what we do because we are who we are
Veteran
darwin its used as a hash plant so id assume the resin production would be good to very good :)

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
they are tough buggers too,mine survived out the whole summer with only 3 visits...till the rippers got them...

green_machine

Very interesting thread Darwin, I'll be following closely to see the results.

The pics are very good too - especially like the look of the male

Good Luck & Stay Safe

green_machine :tiphat:

darwinsbulldog

Landrace Lover
Veteran
UPDATE - day 15 - start of week 3 time for some sex organ pics hehe

a nice pheno in this girl

picture.php

love the leaves on this male

picture.php

picture.php

trifolate male, self topped.

picture.php

balls!!! they have grown very quickly on this male!
picture.php

DUGG

nice darwin that quick flowering boy and the trifoliate look like good father candidates and the girl you have there is a real nice specimen! i have dutch passion mazar F2's to sort through one day

darwinsbulldog

Landrace Lover
Veteran
UPDATE: day 18 flowering

picture.php

this was the first male to drop pollen, smells minty when doing the scratch and sniff test, others have a similar smell but are more peppery on top of minty. he's of medium height, loads of balls, fairly nice vigour.

picture.php

one of the more developed girls, she's one of the tallest of the lot too, and has a lot of lower bud forming compared with the others.

darwinsbulldog

Landrace Lover
Veteran
so i thought i'd do my first pollination today and cross the MIS male that was quickest to drop pollen with my fav white widow girl (white widow #2) who's also a quick flowerer. these WW x MIS seeds i'll send in to gypsy as freebies.

here's the MIS boy
picture.php

here's the WW girl
picture.php

shroomyshroom

Doing what we do because we are who we are
Veteran
so hope i stumble across of some of them :)

that Sheriffs Widow sounds like a dam fine mix :D

Latest posts

Latest posts