What's new

Darwin's First Breeding Project

Darwin's First Breeding Project

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

igrowone

Veteran
good luck with your hermie patrol, that's part of what has slowed me in trying these
but not bad all things considered, pretty low rate, especially when some bred strains hermie if you look at them cross eyed

darwinsbulldog

Landrace Lover
Veteran
haha cheers mate, yeah this is the worst i've seen so far in 5-6 weeks of flowering so i'm not too phased, it's hardly a huge issue. they're all pretty full seeded anyway now so shouldn't have any issues with "hermies" selfing/cross pollinating other plants and producing more "hermie" likely plants as a result. next round in the future i'll probably cull any that show this trait however, unless induced on purpose or accidently by whatever stress. hope you have a nice one igrowone :D

bummer. if you could identify which plant had the hermie trait that would be helpful. even so, the pollen would have easily blown across the plants if they were close. i'd isolate the plant in the second picture. kinda a bad time to do it seeing its spring too, all the pollen flying everywhere. it works best when done to our flowering times, with pollen in a sealed container and tagging the branches on which phenos you decide to open pollinate, preferably well away from your other flowering plants. Even doing all this there is a rare chance some crosses do produce hermies. Happens to the best of us.:wallbash: We can only try our best, more importantly we have to keep trying. I hope the next run works out, im looking forward to it. :watchplant:

darwinsbulldog

Landrace Lover
Veteran
the pollen sacks were immature and hadn't opened so it was ok. i'm not really phased at all as it's an isolated occurrence so far and i'd expect it in unworked lines of landrace strains, and would almost be disappointed if it wasn't there haha a. because i've never seen one in the flesh personally and b. if the work was already done there'd be less for me to do to improve my own product in the future :D

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
darwin are any of the MIS going outside? they really do much better outdoors from what i remember of the freebie thread...

darwinsbulldog

Landrace Lover
Veteran
yeah mate :D i've got some clones rooting at the moment from a few of the girls and boys, i'll also be hoping to do a run of F1 seeds outside later this year before the season is too far gone. maybe around late nov i'll germ some. i think they need a month or so to dry first yeah?

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
one of the real strengths of the MIS is its resistance to drought and frost,mine survived on their own all summer in a hot dry climate with cool nights at over 7500 feet,rippers got them ,i had only planned to make hash from them anyway,never intended to smoke the buds

igrowone

Veteran
the bud is supposed to be harsh, the waxiness that gives it good drought resistance will bite you in the lungs, so to speak
i was hoping to try some in a vaporizer(when i do sprout some), wondering if anyone has tried that

darwinsbulldog

Landrace Lover
Veteran
one of the real strengths of the MIS is its resistance to drought and frost,mine survived on their own all summer in a hot dry climate with cool nights at over 7500 feet,rippers got them ,i had only planned to make hash from them anyway,never intended to smoke the buds

first part's good, second part about the rippers sucks though! i think you're definitely right though they seem to require little water, i find myself watering them once every 2-3 days max and they thrive, bugger all nutes as well and they're happy. so hopefully they'll do well here a little above sea level if i put them outside. i've got much the same plans for these guys re: hash. hopefully there's a bit of trichome activity going on soon and it's not damaged a great deal while removing seeds so i can make a bit of hash. i might also do the same with the white widow. hoping to get a small amount of hash to unleash on for the coming few months hehe

darwinsbulldog

Landrace Lover
Veteran
the bud is supposed to be harsh, the waxiness that gives it good drought resistance will bite you in the lungs, so to speak<br>
i was hoping to try some in a vaporizer(when i do sprout some), wondering if anyone has tried that

penguin's got a vape so once this is harvested i'm sure he'll be wanting to have a burl in his volcano and can get back to you on it mate :D i'm pretty easy when it comes to harsh smoke as most of the schwag i have used in the past has been pretty harsh so i'm used to it. lol anything that's even slightly a step up will be happily smoked!

the pollen sacks were immature and hadn't opened so it was ok. i'm not really phased at all as it's an isolated occurrence so far and i'd expect it in unworked lines of landrace strains, and would almost be disappointed if it wasn't there haha a. because i've never seen one in the flesh personally and b. if the work was already done there'd be less for me to do to improve my own product in the future :D

the guys can be tricky sometimes.i dont trust them.ill never work with them near females. That isolated occurance could have pollinated the girls. I cant see any type of stress training, if they were all treated the same it could be inherited. to answer a) no with Landraces we resist 'inbreeding' and have a bigger gene pool to work from.:artist:

Cannabis can also suffer from being inbred over a protracted period of time by loosing hybrid vigour and often developing various mutations of growth....

....Most cannabis breeders are well aware of potential pitfalls associated with inbreeding although it is very tempting for a novice to continue to use one or two closely related lines in order to preserve or improve a strain. Breeding to an unrelated line of the same strain (wherever possible) or out crossing to another variety (wherever permissible) can certainly ensure vigour. Despite the risk of importing a few undesirable traits which may take a while to successfully breed out, and here the skill and patience of the breeder comes much into play....
-The El Presidente

read this..https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=17570

I was hoping the weather would be better than it was yesterday. Summer lookin promisin.:gday:
:smokeit:

OMMPatient

Looks like a fella might learn a thing or two from this thread. Nice work Darwin.
I gotta say I just love ICMAG and all you guys. So much useful info on here!

Latest posts

Latest posts