What's new

(Dark) green leaves at harvest time?! Come on guys, stop overfeeding & flush fully

InPotiTrust

i just saw this real beauty by techattack over in the free your bud shots thread very lovely

ua99wz1.jpg

B

British_Bulldog

InPotiTrust said:
i just saw this real beauty by techattack over in the free your bud shots thread very lovely

Thanks for the pic InPotiTrust: it certainly doesn't look overfed or underflushed, but it does look immature to be harvested like that; it's covered in white pistils and the buds are about half the size of what they should be at maturity.

Jacksparrow

I have a question concerning "autumnal" colors.

Currently I have a bag seed plant, that was a clone that was cut during flower, reveg'd, then lst'd and now is roughly 40 days in flower.

The plant began yellowing a week ago, and has since almost fully yellowed..(might be me over/under feeding. But since it's the only one yellowing I thought it might be the plant..)
Now obviously normal "autumn" colors would come in near maturity or end of it's "annual" life.. But this bagseed plant is taking the space of a nice DSD I need to get into the box. So an early chop is likely incoming. (stealth required- no space to finish it elsewhere)

My question is, What is the fundamental differance between proper "autumn" yellowing/coloration vs. over/underfeeding/ph yellowing. How does the look differ? Slowly overtakes the entire plant from bottom up? starts at the top? middle? Leaves fade from the centers outward? etc.

I am also aware of the various possible causes of my plant yellowing , more than likely being caused by me..but it got me thinking nonetheless.

Edit: This plant showed Trichs extremely quickly after inducing flowering, and has had far thicker trich coverage than the plant it came from - due to the reveg i'm assuming/have read. So the early chop isnt exactly breaking my heart. I plan to flush it for the next 15 or so days regardless of what is yellowing it now(i think.)

(I realize this is pointless without pics, and If I had some batteries I'd take some and post em...but bear with me =D)

Last edited:

keeko

Microbeman said:
Hi BC,

This may not be the thread for that so how about in the very near future I'll start a thread in the Organic Soil forum and explain things from my perspective. In the interim, everyone struggles, tries and learns as they embark into natural growing so we can perhaps learn from each other.

Salutations,
Microbeman

as BC said, im a lurker here, and your knowledge has helped me alot in the organic aspect which i started not too long ago. ill be watching out if you start an organic thread in the future. take care bud...

...and BC, you did a great job of putting words in my mouth when i was sitting back reading. respect bud :wave:

what would u recommend to do for overfeed plants im dialling in 3 wks into flower? just a god few days flush or anything else ? i did flush last grow for 2 wks and they still didnt use up there own resources :(

please help

P

perakko

well here's the white russian at 9 weeks of 12/12 im letting her go 10. i think i did pretty good with her this time.. flushed for 1.5 weeks, straight water.

(nlxbb)x(c99xherijuana) this one flushed pretty fine also, it being my own cross helped a alot dialing in. no probs here. 8 weeks of 12/12.

B

British_Bulldog

John - well the first thing is to remove the feed, and give them pH adjusted water.

I need to know more about what you've fed them already.

Maybe, and it sounds like a very good idea, would be to get a clearing solution from your local grow shop and give them a hard flush for a few days.

*WARNING: clearing solutions actively drop the pH, so keep an eye on it every day*

If you tell me more about the situation, then I can help more.

Once you've got rid of most of the excess nutes, you can change the feeding to focus more on phosphorus and potassium (P & K), and then grow some nice big flowers. You'll still need a bit of nitrogen for a few weeks to stop the leaves yellowing and dying off too soon, as you need them for photosynthesis to give energy to bud production.

If it's an 8 week strain, stop the feeding at 6.5 weeks, just give them pH adjusted water for half a week, then use the clearing solution again for around 5 days.

This type of flush will be appropriate once you get all the excess ferts out now.

perakko - they're looking good to me, and I look forward to seeing them at the chop - they should have used up that last bit of feed I can see they've still got by then ;)

Thanks also to all those who have sent me private messages of support for this thread, some from very well known and experienced growers - I understand you have friends on here and don't want to offend them, so keeping it on the lowdown is probably best, and I'd never name names ;)

However, I couldn't just sit here and keep watching overferted and underflushed plants being praised to high heaven.

If it means people don't like me for telling them, then so be it, that's ok, I'm not here to win any popularity contests, but I would like to see better grown plants.

Peace

Last edited:
brit bull .. the man is right i flush mine two weeks after i see the hairs start to turn colors .. i have found other than all the info out there about it and im hard headed .. if u dont then it will taste like chemicals .. also i have found that if u have verry hard water and have to use alot of ph down .. this also will affect the outcome .. so get a r/o water filter and solve that hard water prob from the get go ..

peez ...

B

British_Bulldog

Well smith, you shouldn't really need a full two week flush in hydro (passive or active) if you've fed correctly before, but if you have overfed you will need it.

What I suggest is feeding less during the flowering period, and you'll see that you don't need the full 2 week flush.

You should be able to flush in 10 days, and using a clearing solution will help leech out whatever's left.

Also, regarding hard water and lots of pH down, it can be a problem, but not that much, and you shouldn't use too much pH down right at the end, which is why a clearing solution is good too, as that keeps lowering the pH without the need for so much pH down anyway ;)

Peace

cheers BB ..i got the link in my sig ...ive been chasing a bench mark the day i repotted and with the amount of light im running and my eyes not being what they used to be HPS..the leaves were transparent and looked underfed,if you know what i mean ..stoner!! :bashhead: ..i took them to e.c 1.8 with 1ml per ltr of ionic boost from first signs of hairs...cann a a&b coco running canna coco as medium and been feeding half ltr a day to waste with about 5 % run off ....some looks good some looke a bit clawed some look underfeed...i have last night ran with ec.1.0 i will just use ph water for the next few feeds and hopefully sort it ..i think im at the tip of the iceberg 3 wks into flower and she is a 9 wk'er ..thxs fr the input BB any other details hit me up ..tia

JG

Last edited:
yeh thats y i use a water filter for the last 5 years or so .. but as far as less nutes that i determine by what the individual strain can take before its over ferted imho if u under fert the plant it does not produce what i want .. i use the recomended mix for generalhydroponics nutes right off the bottle nothing less .. as 10 days to two weeks ive seen no diff as far a degradation in yeild or resin .. theres a whole lot of reasons why peeps do what they do for the setup they have thats y i said u have to get a couple of grows under your belt at the same place your growing at .. when u move to another place things change .. but after a while u adjust accordingly ...

peez ..

I don't post here but lurk quite a bit. Maybe I'll put up a show but I had to put in my two cents after reading the first post.

Dude who the hell do u think u r. There are plenty of great growers here and I know you SAY you used to be a commercial grower but cant put up any proof but live in italy.....whatever.

First of all a good grower should know that there is more than one way to skin a cat and you can flush to varying degrees depending on the desired results, desired curing time, etc. There are several benefits to a short flush and also many way more experienced growers than you would say that a slight tip burn means you have your plants at optimum nute levels.

Second, why the hell do you care how much other people r flushing thier plants. Get a life troll. Come on here telling everyone they suck at growing. Your advice is basic at best.

PS: No need for pHing your water when flushing as nutrient availability is irrelevant.

Last edited:
G

TricksR4Kids said:
I don't post here but lurk quite a bit. Maybe I'll put up a show but I had to put in my two cents after reading the first post.

Dude who the hell do u think u r. There are plenty of great growers here and I know you SAY you used to be a commercial grower but cant put up any proof but live in italy.....whatever.

First of all a good grower should know that there is more than one way to skin a cat and you can flush to varying degrees depending on the desired results, desired curing time, etc. There are several benefits to a short flush and also many way more experienced growers than you would say that a slight tip burn means you have your plants at optimum nute levels.

Second, why the hell do you care how much other people r flushing thier plants. Get a life troll. Come on here telling everyone they suck at growing. Your advice is basic at best.

PS: No need for pHing your water when flushing as nutrient availability is irrelevant.

Hehe

British Bulldog talks like he's a badass mofo, in real life he's the polar opposite, he annoyed many people at the 420 cup by giving unwanted advice like he was the fount of all knowledge. Bit of a clown basically.

Odie-O

not gonna say one way or the other in this thread. because if you look at my post count and join date i lurk and try to learn what i can.

but thanks for showing me its not in my best interest to post any finished pictures here because of the criticism i will take for my effort's.

thank you and have a great day

CDM

Looking good Maj! Ive never posted pics myself... shit I guess Im just old..
Never took a pic of a plant, ever.. it was one of the rules back in the day..
Never to document a grow with pics.. shit, it tooks years before I would even take notes! LOL..

I think in the end, if you like the product you are producing, then great! green or yellow.. big fat jucy buds are what I like to see! I flush at the end personally, but is all about flavor for me, if the leaves stay green I dont worry, its the taste and feel Im worried about.

L

luvofthagame

"However, I couldn't just sit here and keep watching overferted and underflushed plants being praised to high heaven.

If it means people don't like me for telling them, then so be it, that's ok, I'm not here to win any popularity contests, but I would like to see better grown plants."

:laughing: rediculous.

one once said "there are as many ways to grow as growers."

the fact is, flushing every strain in every medium until yellow and not picking when ripe will probly just end in mold and budrot. different weather conditions, organics vs. "chemicals", sativa or indica and much more play parts. just saying everyone that has a greener harvest has inferior buds is rediculous. posts like this just shows how jealous some can become that others are growing and some cannot. I'd say 90% of grows on here are beautiful plants, yellow or green. U r very condensending and "stubborn." do u even smoke great weed. I know the ones who do get the positive effects not to act like this.
maybe ganja not the medicine 4 u, prozac maybe.....luv

L

Lilly456

Bulldog, I read this whole thread and I've been in the game for 23yrs and you've got me taking notes, checking ph, and generally running round a bit like suddenly I was just a young pup.Quite frankly though, I have a Chem DD cut that refuses to go yellow no matter how much I flush her.Most of my plants always go yellow and purple and brown as they should but you've got me going in circles, but thats ok you're never too old to learn.I'm re-flushing my SSH now and cutting back on my ppm's.You really put me to work, damnit!!Have an awesome day and lets all keep movin' foward and making the weed as great as we can can, eh?Lilly. :joint: :joint:

W

weedpureweed

british bulldiog? more like british pussyhole and thats coming from a brit, you spend most of your time helping people avoid getting arested? lol o.k then you would probably be the first to g a man up.

you thought leaving a house full of plants for 2 weeks was crazy? lol you joker. :joint:

Last edited: