What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Damn it stinks in here!

Dr.Young

K+ vibes
Veteran
Have you ever seen a strain with fuzzy stems that had strong terps to it... Almost like a velvet fuzz. The craziest thing ive ever seen. Most of my stems are fairly woody.. maybe too much wind or light. Haven't had softer stems in a while, and noticed some of the Nigerian x Mango Haze have a wild incensy fuzz on them.

Chunkypigs

passing the gas
Veteran
here's a couple from your headband x ? seeds.
picture.php

picture.php

the outdoor Kosher.
picture.php

Headband clone and spider.
picture.php

Scrappy-doo

LC- never heard of the sunflower lecithin what does it do?

Dr. Y- I've had some furry stems but nothing noteworthy. I like the incense smell you're getting though. Gotta get to those one day.

Chunky- any distinct smells coming of those headband seeds? I have it set in my mind that the blueberry bx was the dad but it's just a guess. You're right that kosher is looking nothing like Lucy. Your headband is looking better than mine. I gotta get some outdoor shots up this week. Just hit her with my most skelly leaning Puck Yeah. The keeper pheno really has an awesome skunky smell to her that stepped up a notch now that she's dry. I'm thinking it will make a real nice combo with the headband. Knock down some of that stretch and put some meat on her bones while adding some rank to that killer diesel og funk.

LungCooking

LC- never heard of the sunflower lecithin what does it do?

Increases potency of the edible, try it and let me know :)
i use Now Sunflower Lecithin. Is really noticeable!

here is a copy and paste

Lecithin In Cannabis Edibles: Why You Need It

Lecithin is a phospholipid that can be found within eggs, avocados, soybeans, and sunflowers. The substance acts as a binding agent that keeps ingredients stuck together. It may even play a role in increasing the potency of edibles. We take a closer a look at what is going on.

Just like the process of growing cannabis plants, adding the flowers into food recipes and creating edibles is an artform. There are countless recipes out there now and almost any dish, whether sweet or savoury, can be infused with cannabinoids for either medicinal or recreational purposes. Making edibles isn’t always simple, especially for those cannabis enthusiasts who are new to the world of cooking. There are many ways to improve certain dishes and recipes, and factors such as flavour, texture, and presentation can be optimised in order to really make an edible experience fun and memorable. One secret weapon when it comes to baking with weed is the use of lecithin, an ingredient that can greatly improve the structural integrity of an edible, and may enhance the absorption of the prized cannabinoids within.

WHAT IS LECITHIN?

Lecithin is a phospholipid, a type of fat, that is often used as an additive within food to enable certain ingredients to bind and stick together that would usually repel each other. Lecithin can be found within egg yolks, which is why eggs are frequently used in recipes to thicken sauces and bases. Vegan sources of lecithin include avocados, soybeans, and sunflowers. Lecithin serves an essential role within the body and makes up parts of cell membranes - the protective barrier that separates the interior of cells from the outside. There is evidence to suggest that lecithin may be useful in cases of liver and gallbladder disease, and some even employ it in attempts to treat cognitive impairment, dry skin, and numerous other conditions.
Aside from being used as a health supplement, lecithin plays a major role in cooking and food products. It works as an emulsifying agent and additive that works to stabilize processed foods. It helps foods that usually don’t mix to stay together. For example, when adding a teaspoon of coconut oil into a cup of coffee the oil will rise to the top of the liquid, the two substances won’t mix together. When adding an emulsifier such as lecithin, the two will mix together and stay together, creating a more pleasant beverage. It’s easy to see why lecithin is so important and widely used in food products that use oils and water. Lecithin basically helps oil-based ingredients interact and stabilise with water-based ingredients.

WHY YOU SHOULD ADD LECITHIN TO YOUR EDIBLES

There are multiple reasons to use lecithin when cooking up a batch of psychoactive cannabis edibles. As alluded to above one great reason is to improve the structure of your edibles. Adding lecithin to a mixture before baking will help certain particles bind together instead of rejecting each other and falling apart. For example, when making chocolate brownies or cakes, lecithin will help sugar and cocoa stick to cannabutter. Sugar and cocoa bind well with water, yet cannabutter doesn’t. Lecithin can be used to remedy this issue. Additionally, the presence of lecithin within your cannabis edibles can increase the shelf life by preventing the separation of fats and waters. This may lessen the chance of mould formation which will ruin your stash.
Perhaps the best reason to add lecithin to your edibles is one that will really get cannabis enthusiasts excited. The emulsifier can act to increase the potency of cannabis edibles in numerous ways, helping users to make the most of the weed they are using. Your body may have an easier time digesting the bound ingredients and will be able to access and digest THC and other cannabinoids more easily. As well as this, lecithin is known to be a surfactant, a compound that lowers surface tension. This fact means that lecithin helps to distribute THC and cannabinoids more efficiently.

HOW TO ADD LECITHIN TO RECIPES

Now that we have covered what lecithin is and why it acts to optimise cannabis edibles, it’s time to get baking. Adding lecithin to edibles is an easy and straightforward process. When using it is as a dough conditioner add around 1 teaspoon of lecithin to every cup of flour used in a recipe. Next, dissolve the lecithin in the liquid ingredients. Bake the goods using the normal directions that the recipe states. When your goods are finished it’s time for a taste test. If the texture isn’t as good as it could be, add some more lecithin to the next batch of your edible of choice. If it has left behind an obvious flavour, add a little less.
When it comes to vegan options and eggless baking, the process is slightly different. Mix 1 ½ tablespoons of lecithin granules into 2 teaspoons of water for each egg yolk that is needed within a typical recipe. Next, add the required fats, flavourings, and binding ingredients and bake away. Because eggs provide a good binding effect, vegan options will need these additional ingredients.

THE BEST SOURCE OF LECITHIN

Eggs are probably the best source of lecithin to use in edible recipes, however, they won’t suffice in vegan recipes. Soy lecithin is commonly used in many processed foods, though there is a large debate about just how healthy it is. Soy lecithin is known to be highly processed and manufacturers often used solvents to extract it. Therefore, sunflower lecithin is advised instead. It is also worth noting, while egg and sunflower based lecithin are superior, they are also harder to get hold of - with soy being the most common in powder form.

Last edited:

Miraculous Meds

here's a couple from your headband x ? seeds.
View Image

View Image

the outdoor Kosher.
View Image

Headband clone and spider.
View Image

Head band cut is bulking up nicely. It grew great for me but I had some root health problems that made me pull it around late 60's, maybe 68 days or so. She got close to finishing but I didn't feel like I got the hb effect. It was still powerful and enjoyable, but not the head ringing effect I was looking for. I suspect another 10 or 15 days ripening might have made the difference. Well, I just got it in the jar, so I need to wait another week or two and evaluate again, but it still an excellent flower.

Cool spider there, I was walking in my back yard and about ran into a fairly big spider about eye level. It was resting on a a piece of web strewn down 20' from an extending tree limb. Had the appearance of just floating in the air, since it was so far away from the base of the tree and any limb. Freaked me out. Had that sudden fear shock from almost running into it and not expecting it at all.

About the lecithin, my experience with it was so so. Its worth trying, but I bought the liquid soy lecithin, thinking it would be easier to mix. but its thicker than maple syrup in texture, and ironically doesn't mix in that easy. that's ironic cause one of its main jobs is to be an emulsifier. Ive tried from 1/2 tsp to 2tbsp per standard cookie batch and in coconut oil/thc oil capsules. What I noticed was slight increase in potency, traded off for hitting you faster, but lasting a little less long.

G

I don't have much experience with lecithin and cannabis.
I do use it almost every day as a smoothie ingredient. I use the non-GMO soy granuals from NOW. I use it specifically for my brain. I find most notably that it improves my memory, but also expect it to be a preventative measure agains old age.
It is great for the nervous system. I haven't tried dandelion heads yet, but I've read they have a sizable amount of bioavailable lecithin. The lecithin in eggs is to balance out the cholesterol. As I understand it, heat destroys/diminishes the lecithin and you are left with cholesterol.
It is a fascinating topic if you are interested in its benefits for our nervous system.
And its pretty cool it complements edibles!

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
If you can source the P91 cut, it's supposed to be a pure inbred NL#5. Old So Cal staple.

dank.Frank

Miraculous Meds

If you can source the P91 cut, it's supposed to be a pure inbred NL#5. Old So Cal staple.

dank.Frank

Heres an 89 NL5 from Melvanetics seed line, a cut a friend gave me. She grew dense, leafy, broad leaf, short. Also faded purple pretty well. A bit floral, and sweet kush like aroma. Could you tell me any characteristics of the original nl5?

picture.php

Scrappy-doo

Nice looking NL5 there MM. Hope some of my Dr Atomics turn out like that.

I pulled out a couple Dosi's tonight for pollenation. Figured I might as well take some pics. Got 5 females. #3 had balls so I culled it. Here's #1 and #2. Great frame on both of them. 21 days in.

#1 - Looking like she must have some face-off in her flower structure. Nice musky funk so far.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

#2 - Definitely more cookie type flowers. Compact tight little golfballs. Smelling that sweet doughy dank already.

picture.php

picture.php

Scrappy-doo

DJ Short testers are all sexed.

FX1 line has 4 males, 2 females. I think he said on the Pot Cast that 'Blue Dawn' is the name he's going with for these.

Happy Pussy has 2 males, 3 females

Here's the FX1 males 1,2,3,4

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Happy Pussy males are a few days behind. I'll get pics of them up when they're ready to drop.

Females getting repotted tomorrow and pics once they go into flower.

:tiphat:

therevverend

Veteran
Lecithin is the ultimate emulsifier I used it to activate my Kava Kava. It makes it a lot stronger then just washing the nasty powder down with water. My lower torso went numb and colors were looking really colorful.

I've never used it in ganja but it makes me want to make a bhang milkshake. I'm guessing a couple tablespoons of lecithin in milk with leaf cooked into it tossed into a blender would work wonders.

Scrappy-doo

Started to harvest my outdoor. These only get a couple hours of direct light. Pics are from a week ago.

Black lights right before chop. Great yielder, done late September, no mold.

picture.php

2.0 started melting on me... had to cut her down yesterday. No time for harvest pics. Would have liked to take her another week to get some fade, but she was close enough. Pics from last week.

picture.php

picture.php

Scrappy-doo

Cannatonic, Dosidos, Forum

picture.php

Cannatonic. Great performer outside. No problems whatsoever.

picture.php

picture.php

Dosidos. Lost a couple tops to caterpillars but what's left of her finishing out great. Water repellent, just rolls right off.

picture.php

picture.php

Both of these girls getting copped today.

Scrappy-doo

Forum. Real impressed with her under the sun. Bigger than I woulda thought and also great water repellent qualities. I think I'll give her another week and we'll call it a wrap.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

I know a few locals who lost half their crop to this never-ending wet. Glad I made the selections I did this season. I'll see the rest of yas at the finish line. :tiphat: