What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Damn it stinks in here!

Scrappy-doo

Glad to have you GF!

Not the best of days at the shop today. I went into the flower room and pinched a bud on this indica blueberry bx pheno to get a whiff...

picture.php

And I seen some got damn yellow powder come out the bottom. Looked underneath and whaddya know!

picture.php

Fuggn got dam sunnabish. So I went and looked at all the other bb's and found 2 more.

picture.php

picture.php

This is some eff'n bullshit! $150 for this pack of seeds and we got ladyboys? Not a single herm in the first pack I ran and now I got 3. Had to shut my light off and spray down the entire flower room with water. Hopefully it's not too late.

So I chopped all but 2 of my blueberry's that haven't shown any signs yet but I'll be lookin real close from now on. Looks like only the indy phenos show intersex. Damn shame too cause they smelled like straight bb candy.

Last edited:

Scrappy-doo

Onto a brighter note. Here's my 630 watt 4x8 tent:

picture.php

picture.php

And some glue @ 53 days

picture.php

picture.php

Not sure where the tip burn came from. These have had nothing but organic dry ferts and teas. They were pristine until just a few days ago and then I started to see the tips do this. Still learning about organics but thought this was not supposed to happen with it. Maybe my tea was too rich or something.

Been brewing the same tea for about 2 weeks now so maybe it has gone bad. I either use 2/3 of what's in the brewer every 2 days or if not I dump 2/3 out and top it with fresh water and molasses. Still smelled good so I just kept using it. After seeing this I dumped it out and will make a fresh batch.

I use an air lift system and a tea bag filled with castings, compost, gypsum, alfalfa meal, kelp, and a little high p guano. Been pretty happy with it so far. It would be nice to just keep it a perpetual brew indefinately. I hate cleaning the thing and it's nice to always have tea on hand.

Vanilla Phoenix

Super Lurker
ICMag Donor
Sup scrappy! :wave: Just jumpin up in here and everything is lookin proper!! Just wondering, are you using two 315 CMH in the 4x8?

Scrappy-doo

Thanks goats, comes with the territory I suppose. I've had plenty of nanners over the years but it's been a while since I had actual sacks. Just glad I caught them.

Hey VP, yup those are 2 315 watt bulbs with Cycloptics hoods. 630 watts total in a 4x8 tent. I might put a 3rd one in the middle for next round but 2 is doing a pretty good job so far I think eh?

Vanilla Phoenix

Super Lurker
ICMag Donor
Two of them are definitely doing the job! I veg with a 315 4200 in an old daystar reflector. Just havent taken the plunge into using them for flowering yet.

GET MO

Registered Med User
Veteran
That 4x8 lookin dope scrappy! Im really considering getting a greenbeam to go in the middle of my 2 gavitas n turning them down to 600 and seein wut it do in the 4 1/2 x 9 1/2... Be about 1500. I usually run the gavitas at 1000 -1150 so that would be 600-800 less watts. Actually wanted to try just 3 greenbeams in their but aint got the bread for that at the moment..

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Blueberry can be funny. The herm thing is one of the primary reasons that Chili never released Digi to folks. She is so very finicky and he didn't want to put up with being called a hack. The male Bx1 I selected, one of his primary perks, was he seemed to add a lot of stability to things. The percentage of full on blueberry plants was higher with another male, but it was not nearly as stable. If you can sort 10 and pull 4-6 regardless the mother, that was a good enough ratio of finding the terpene profile. Better to toss a few than to have to toss a room. Nanners mind you. Not full on balls.

I think sometimes, you just hit a recessive gene trait and it surfaces. Even against your best due diligence. $150 though. Ouch. Sorry Scrappy. Band-aids are coming. :joint:

dank.Frank

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Oh yeah. About the tip burn. You absolutely can get that with organics. Especially with high value inputs like guano. Alfalfa is actually quite hot too, even though a low profile for immediate availability, teas are made to help convert to ionic forms. Thus why you want to foster bacterial colonies in your teas with sugars like molasses. These plant available ions are going to hit the roots the same way as a salt, it's just the source origin that is different. I mean, it's the same thing. Raw organic inputs converted to the proper ionic form are still elemental salts at that point. Again, it's the difference between a natural origin vs a chemically extracted or designed origin. Molecules are molecules.

It's for this exact reason, I tend to shy away from anything but water. I have a list of things in my soil thread to feed plants at different weeks to "push" them a bit harder. If I follow that, I get the ever faintest bit of tip burn as well. Too much is too much. Regardless the source. However, I don't mind seeing that 1-2mm burn because in a way, it tells me I'm on point and I'm seeing all they've got in terms of absolute potential, with out really altering expression.

Your tent looks great. I'm working towards doing the same. In a significantly smaller space. Big fan of those Greenbeams. I've been on the fence with them for a long time. Seen some good results, then saw people trying other hoods and ballast combos, etc. You've sold me on them. I'm convinced now that I won't regret my decision. Thank you. Seriously. I hate making a poor choice or buying something and then still wanting something else in the back of my mind. I hate the feeling of having settled as a result of lack of research. :respect:

dank.Frank

gmanwho

Veteran
Here's a male from Sam's Ancient Skunk line. I got 3/20 to germ which is what I expected. Hopefully some real skunk is in there somewhere.
View Image

And a female from the same line. She started slow and mutated but looks to be growing out of it. She topped herself. Twice lol. Less work for me!

View Image
View Image

View Image

hey scrappy was curious how u started the skunk#1 seeds? u clean them first? u order anything else other then the ancestral skunk#1?

i ordered 200 ancestral skunk#1 myself, then 30 whitewidow x skunk#1,30 whiterhino x skunk#1. thai/haze x skunk #1 an og x c99 where thrown in as freebies.

thinking of building some of my old 1 gal flood an drain buckets for this project so i can get like 16-20 buckets in a 3x3 or 4x4, without major veg time or taking up prime real estate in the bigger flower rooms.

looking forward to what u may find in them. maybe we can swap males or females to get this party started?? another month an its starting. between 400 seeds we should be able to find something...

have not popped any just yet, its on the list.....

love the show.... bwell

Scrappy-doo

GET MO that's an interesting idea, don't think I've seen anyone attempt anything like that. I was gonna tell you about a post someone made about the greenbeams being on sale but when I went to find it I realized you're the one who posted it! I'm in the same boat, if I could I'd buy 3 more to put in the new tent I'm about to start but even with the discount it's too big an investment so I'll be going oldschool with some hps gear I have in storage.

Frank glad I could help steer you towards getting one. I don't think I'd spend money on any other light atm. That's some great info on teas, I knew they helped but now it makes a lot more sense. I've been feeding teas every time I water so that explains a lot. Looking forward to those cbdb's. I got a few extra spots just opened up!

Gman yeah a few people have been asking about those Ancestral Skunk. I'll make a post about them. Hell yeah I'm down to swap, the more the merrier. I ordered some x-18 as well and got 25 purple thai/haze x skunk1 as freebies.

GET MO

Registered Med User
Veteran
Youd think the way greenbeams work well with overlapping/multiple lights it would do nice like that, prolly use a 4200 between the 2 hps. My other idea was to just get a master controller n put the 630s I got in the gavitas. Actually made a thread with a poll about it, decisions decisions....

Scrappy-doo

Ancestral Skunk

All I can say is have a plan and be patient when popping these. If I wasn't determined to see them thru I'd have only gotten 1 above ground.

I used the paper towel method to attempt germinating 22 seeds. Soaked them in 3% peroxide/water at 50/50 for a few hours. Took a week before anything happened. 1 seed sprouted normally and the rest either the shell cracked and then stalled or I had 1/4" tails and then they stalled. After that I started seeing mold so I soaked the remaining 21 again in a light peroxide/water solution and then a fresh paper towel. Did that a couple times for the next week anytime I saw mold. No further development but the tails still looked good and white so I just put them in dirt and waited. There were 8 of them.

Another 2 weeks go by and then I noticed 2 more heads just barely disturbing the soil. Another 2 weeks and they are about an inch tall with the shells still on, so I did a little surgery to remove the heads and they slowly and I mean slow as molasses, grew to what I have now.

The one that grew normal had some mutations and is sensitive to ferts. She's in the same mix as everything else and she's starting to claw up in flower. Not really impressed at all with her, she's stretchy, lanky and finicky but it's no biggie, I just want to make seeds.

picture.php

picture.php

The other female was always the runt, way behind all the others and if I wasn't patient I might've just tossed it, but I'm real glad I didn't. She's a beauty!

picture.php

picture.php

So I think it's safe to say there's a lot of diversity in these which is what I was hoping for. I'm liking the more hybrid looking leaves and branching on this one. I had her in the flower room for a few days but put her back in veg when I culled my blueberries. Just want to let her get a little bigger and take a couple snips.

The male I don't have any more pics of other than the one I posted before in a cup of water. He was definitely more sativa looking.

picture.php

Hope that answers everyone's questions but if there's any more just ask.

The next time I germinate more of these I'll either make a worm bin or I'll buy some real fresh castings locally. Mystic Funk had some real good success with old seeds using his bin when all other methods yielded mediocre results.https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=334985

gmanwho

Veteran
awesome scrappy!!!

mystic funks thread is just what i needed!!

thou i think im gonna try the 100ppm of ga3 soak in one of the seed popping trials...

i often get mutants that snap out of it as well. worth the wait. thanks for the update!!

Stardog

I love mutants as well. Sometimes you just have to wait on them and they snap out of suddenly and lots of times you end up with a winner. It's happened to me more times than I could count but they weren't all winners though...I did just finish off a sour d cross that was a mutant until I flipped it. It did stay small but the flowers were fabulous. I'm too much of a OCD dork to throw away any weird ones.:tiphat:

gmanwho

Veteran
I love mutants as well. Sometimes you just have to wait on them and they snap out of suddenly and lots of times you end up with a winner. It's happened to me more times than I could count but they weren't all winners though...I did just finish off a sour d cross that was a mutant until I flipped it. It did stay small but the flowers were fabulous. I'm too much of a OCD dork to throw away any weird ones.:tiphat:

cant agree more.....the weird ones always have my attention.

speaking of weird ones, if i can do some justice to the lucy x c99 this next round u maybe getting a lucy c99 or 4 to play with. there's def some keepers in there. some stink like the lucy but sweeter like a caramel, or a syrup that they put in those fancy lattes at the coffee shops.

this one in particular weird lucy x c99 stunk, great trich coverage, great structure with potential to yield. lots of 3 leaves for the upper fan leaves....which i thought was odd. (sfv influence maybe?) then it was like the first 25 days into flower it grew regular, then all of a sudded the top of each cola/site/node stopped growing vertical, calyxes turned horizontal, an started growing wide an out. an continued that way.. :thinking:

Scrappy-doo

Here's a couple more glue pics. Had to water today and I always end up taking this one out to get to the ones in the back. Figured I'd get a full shot. That's a 12 gal tote she's in.

picture.php

picture.php

Waiting on the others to catch up to her before I bring them out for a photoshoot. Another week or so and corey and lucy should be in the home stretch. Glue sure likes to glam up early. I can see why some people justify taking her at 8 weeks, but the longer she goes the more chocolate I smell so I like to take her to 10. :dance013:

Scrappy-doo

Here's my 2 blueberry bx females I still have going, #3 and #4.

picture.php

There were 2 others that hadn't shown any intersex traits, but they were more indica leaning and I'm looking for that sweet sativa pheno so I had to cut them. Even #3 is not really what I'm looking for but #4 is looking good, and she's not shy. Work it baby!

picture.php

Used my 2 best males and hit up the entire branch on the right.

picture.php

I was still pretty bummed about these especially since there's only one sativa leaning female, but I got some good news today. I had commented on one of lemonhoko's posts over at IG about my experience and he checked out my thread and left me a message. Said about 10% of the females in the tests had intersex traits which he felt was acceptable for a release, so I guess I just got unlucky with this pack. Anyways, he offered to send me a couple packs of his new unreleased bx2 line to make up for it. Hard to stay upset when a breeder does something like that to make it right. Thanks for reaching out Lem. :tiphat: