What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Damn it stinks in here!

Scrappy very nice grow! You say one of the ways to avoid shock from a Greenbean is, to stat with Greenbean from the start, but if plants your flipping are having a hard time dealing with them, how are clones going to live?

To both save a bit of money, (will most likely be getting 3 Greenbeans for flowering) and be easy on the clones i could buy a Philips ballast, so i can dim it. Could go one step further, that ballast also supports 210w bulbs, and those support dimming as well. Or do you think its necessary, and a waste to trade off the extra wattage?

If i did go with a CDM bulb for veg, do you really think i need Greenbean to get it done, aka ensure that plants are hardened by the time i flip? A Phantom is $200 cheaper. Or even in veg, is a Greenbean that much better?

Scrappy-doo

Well I'm back at it again. I have a single greenbeams setup going. This was completely unplanned. All these plants were supposed to go to a buddy's room but he got hisself pinched by da man.

I was gonna just take cuts of all these to run outside and kill the moms, but decided what the hell, may as well flower them out.

I'm not supposed to grow where I'm at and no one here knows I am doing so, so this has to be super stealth. The main concern is electricity which is shared, and so I need to make my footprint very small so as not to be noticeable, so only a single light.

These were vegged in a closet with a T5ish sorta lamp. It's actually a cfl I think but shaped like a T5. About a week ago I had to give them a bigger space so I built a 4x4 where I now have them vegging with my cycloptics unit.

Sadly, I'm having the same issues that I had last time with this lamp. I think what I'm seeing the beginnings of is the dreaded lumen shock mentioned earlier in this thread. There are a couple other variables I'm trying to rule out because bringing the light any higher will require some work I don't want to have to do. I shoulda build my cab higher. It is 6' tall.

Heres some current pics. Most of the lights on cycle they are happy, but the last few hours they droop pretty bad.

When lights come on this is what they look like.

picture.php

picture.php

The last few hours of lights on they look like this

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

It's the same every day.

The light is 2' above the canopy which is probably a little too close. I expanded my cab from 4x4 to 5x5, hoping that would disperse the light enough, but the problem persists. There are a couple other factors I want to rule out as being the problem, but ultimately I think I will need to rebuild my cab to be taller. Only reason I'm not certain is that my last garden where they all got shocked I only visited once a week, so they were badly damaged by the time I caught it, so the first signs are something I have not seen personally yet. This looks like the beginning of it though. Droopy plants that look overwatered, but aren't. The leaves color is dull, and feel thick and rubbery.

This sucks big balls, but i will get it handled and put on a good show. My goal with this run is to match or beat my last pull with these lights, which was 3 1/4 lbs with 3 of these. So, I'm looking for a # here or more.

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'll tell you this much...if you can pull 1lb off a single GB, then I'm sold. I'll be watching this closely. Are you sure it's lumen shock and not just a P def? (heavy purple petioles indicates low or locked out P - over watering at transplant? - just suggestions)

Interesting to say the least. Let us know how you manage to fix the issue.

dank.Frank

Last edited:

Scrappy-doo

I think you're on the right track Frank...It has been on the cold side in there. Temps have been high 60's at night and low 70's in the day, and that's at canopy level so the roots are probably cold. It feels cold and clammy when in the room for quite a while after they turn on. When I wake up and check them it's a couple hours before the lights turn off. By then the temps have gotten to mid 70's and it feels just muggy and nasty. I plugged in my dehumidifier a few hours ago and set it to 65% which gave me a nice temperature bump. It's at 76 already. Lights turned on a few hours ago and plants are looking good so far. More importantly it feels much better in there.

picture.php

picture.php

I have a good feeling I'll be pulling a pound outta these girls, especially now that I'm in a 5x5. Got some nice strains in there too. 3 91ix females and 2 males, 3 blueberry bx f2, 2 lemon cripplers, 1 grandpa's breath, Lucifer F2 (Lucy), and 1 ECSD BX2 (Grape Pheno). Lucy I've run before, but all the others are new. Can't wait to check out the ECSD BX I've heard great things about her.

heady blunts

prescription blunts
Veteran
sweet. i convinced my buddy to get some 315's after showing him your thread. glad to see this new experiment with the 1 in a 5x5.

a lb from 315w is crazy! hahahahaha i love it!

91 ix sweeeeet :smoke:

Scrappy-doo

Thanks Heady!

Just gotta get this issue handled and then we'll be on our way.

All of them ended up drooping by the end of the light period today. Worst I've seen them yet.

picture.php

At this point I'll bet my award winning tangy sweet cream nut juice the problem is the light. They're looking more and more like I remember from last time. I raised my light up another foot. Better luck tomorrow.:)

heady blunts

prescription blunts
Veteran
if you can't move your light up what about a shade cloth for a week or two?

not the most efficient solution but it might do the trick while they harden off.

works with veggie seedlings outside...

Bmac1

Veteran
I was going to say it looked like transplant shock that I have witnessed a time or two. Plants look very similar sometimes at transplant, especially with lower root zone temps where they look sick for a week or so and then one morning you can tell the roots finally take off as the plant perks right up and takes off for the light.

Ive also been keeping a close eye on the 315w GB's and will be watching closely. Im the first guy in line if I can swap this out for my 600W HPS and keep the yield around a lb.

Scrappy-doo

Well, some of them were transplanted only a few days ago, but others about a week ago and those have roots exploding out the drainage holes. My second to last pic on the bottom right are some autoflower plants I'm reversing that are in solo cups with organic soil. Those were fine under the t5 2 days ago and since I brought them under the 315 they droop just like all the others, and they haven't even been watered since before that. So, with that in mind I think I can now rule out transplant shock, overwatering, underwatering, nutes, medium, humidity, and co2 levels. Not sure what else there is other than the light.

Only other thing, and I cringe at the thought but maybe some critters hitched a ride on the cuts I got recently. Not likely considering who I got them from, but it is another possibility. Maybe for tonight I'll put one plant under the t5 and compare how they all look in the morning.

Scrappy-doo

# Ghettostyle
picture.php

My extra foot of height cost me 2 bucks at home depot. I love that discount wood rack. :dance013: This brings the bulb to 30"

To even out the canopy I decided to cut a bunch of tops from my taller plants.

This one got a 6" haircut today on all her tops. She's the same damaged plant as in post #186. As sad as she's looking right now, she's easily the most vigorous plant in the room. Reminds me of my bubba crack which was a monster. This is the second time I've had to cut her back. Grows big in all directions. Strain is Lemon Crippler from In House Genetics. She's a cross of OG Ghost Pie x Animal Cookies. Got her as a freebie. Now it's a hundred buckaroos for a pack. The pics I've seen on IG made me drool lol. High hopes for this one!

picture.php

And the runner up for veg speed. Chem91ix #2

So fast I figured it would turn out a boy till she shown those lady parts. Tied for best smelling stem rub with her brother

picture.php

Same plant

picture.php

If everyone's still happy at the end of the day, I'll let them recover for a week or so and then we'll get this muhfugga started.

McKush

Éirinn go Brách
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Well, some of them were transplanted only a few days ago, but others about a week ago and those have roots exploding out the drainage holes. My second to last pic on the bottom right are some autoflower plants I'm reversing that are in solo cups with organic soil. Those were fine under the t5 2 days ago and since I brought them under the 315 they droop just like all the others, and they haven't even been watered since before that. So, with that in mind I think I can now rule out transplant shock, overwatering, underwatering, nutes, medium, humidity, and co2 levels. Not sure what else there is other than the light.

Only other thing, and I cringe at the thought but maybe some critters hitched a ride on the cuts I got recently. Not likely considering who I got them from, but it is another possibility. Maybe for tonight I'll put one plant under the t5 and compare how they all look in the morning.

Are you QTing incoming plants or cuts? I wouldnt trust anyone if your in soil. The buggers are too hard to fully rid for it to be a worthwhile risk for me. Of course i say that having no access to anything outside of what i myself grow so its a bit easy to say that...

Great to have you back posting scrapdog! Will be fun to see what u do with a single GB.

My 3x3. GB room is finally empty again. Could run 1 or 2 autos if i wanted in there if i chose. No room in the FR for a while.

Scrappy-doo

If I was set up better I would have quaranteened them, but I don't have the space for multiple rooms this time around. I visited the garden where they came from and the plants all looked great. That farmer has a pretty serious ipm setup as well. But you never know. This is pretty much all on the fly. This whole grow is a big gamble, but I like throwin dice once in a while. . Damn it feels good to have a garden I can come home to every day. Been like 5 years since I had one of my own.

How did your 3x3 room do? Which bulb are you running? I've been contemplating switching to the 930 for flower. I kinda am curious to see though if I can pull this off with the less powerful 942. I like the spectrum on this one better, it's just more pleasant to be working under.

Scrappy-doo

OK so here's what I have for you guys today. 3 hours till lights go off and the plants are...

Happy!!! :party:

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Temps are at 74, humidity is 77%. I did not run the dehumidifier today, and kept the door closed. Nothing else has changed in the room other than raising my light up a foot.

So there you have it. For anyone who has been doubting, now you know... These greenbeams units have some SERIOUS power and if you aren't careful this can happen to you. Lumen shock is very real and plants must be hardened off to the intensity and spectrum these lights put off.

3' distance will now be my standard for any incoming plants being introduced to this light.

So now that this problem has been fixed, I'll give them a few days of recovery, and then address any potential nutrient issues that may exist. I have a feeling that a lot of these plants that look like they have deficiencies were just stressing out over the light.

I'm kinda glad this happened. It was more just a theory before, lacking any documentation. Now I have it well documented with plenty of pics.

Time to celebrate! It's my momma's birthday so I have a party to get ready for.

Have a great weekend farmers!

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
That bugs / concerns me a little considering I am wanting to run them in a much smaller footprint than this...I've started watching Krunchbubble's LED thread too now. Seems everyone that is providing the information I really want to see is a couple months out of a conclusion and perhaps the best scenario for me is to wait to purchase anything until I see a couple more people make it to the finish line with these various options I am considering.

dank.Frank

Scrappy-doo

Update.

Sorry to say I discovered that I somehow got aphids. Took cuts, trashed everything else and starting over. Not gonna fuck around with these little hellians. Sent back to the fiery pits from whence you came. Get behind me Satan!!!

Sorry to hear that man, was looking foreword to see how those GBs would do again. Got 6 weeks or so left before i get first harvest under a GB. For my next grow i will have a second 3x3, plan on stacking up the GB with a DYI Cree CXB light. Ill even send it in to have it tested, want to figure out what is the very best option for then i really expand to 6 lights.

Scrappy-doo

Thanks CK. First time dealing with them. Maybe I'm being overly optimistic, but I'm planning round 2 to begin July 1. Several cuts just rooted, so this will test my quarantine skills and help me develop a solid ipm.

I treated all the previous plants with bayer complete a week before I cut them. I wanted to see how it did as a treatment and wasn't going to flower them anyways. Twice the dose as suggested on the bottle. One week later not only had it not killed them but they were thriving.

For the new cuts I decided to go with og biowar foliar pack. Gonna break down and sterilize everything, lay a thick bed of DE on top and under pots and sprinkle on leaves.

Sounds like you got a good plan going forth. Its one area i got to brush up on before long, pest control, before i get caught with my pants down. Luckily i have not had any issues yet, but only a matter of time really.

I too experienced lumen shock as well, i initially had the GB mounted on the top of the tent, but when i got my ratchets i lowered them like 16" in one go, my plants did not like that. I had to back them off 6", let then get use to it, then lower them 3/4" a day.

Question for ya, how close have you let them get to the lights after then have hardened off? So far i have been as close as 19-19" above canopy. I experience no burn or anything, but was reluctant to lower much further.