What's new

DabLab Reloaded-- back to vertville

mr. gt

^^ Ya. There has to be a balance though. I've been thinking about this. You have 3 lights where light gets wasted. If you surrounded each bulb with 4 or so plants, it would be the most efficient usage of light.

Now the balance question comes to play. Do you get more yield the 'crop circle' way ... OR .. do you get more gram per watt x gram per sq. ft. x gram per amount of time this way(the way your growing now). Ive seen people grow where every individual light is surrounded by plants.

Nowww say you had 4 of those 'crop cirlcles' going and they are all perfectly symmetrical and they were in a 2 x 2 type square. It would be possible to put a 5th light where all 4 'crop circles' meet in the middle and some of the crop from each circle would get light on both sides. Kind of like Heath's tree grows.

When I move into my spot in like 6 months I'm going to do the 'crop circle' method because Im trying to stay under the radar.

Sorry if im being confusing as hell. Its time for my much needed nap.

~mr. gt

ps: say you did do 6 of those. and you had them in this fashion:

o o
o o
o o

you could add an extra light or 2 to get more yield. If you wanted to be scientific you could add one to compare to the other parts of the grow to see if its worth it:

o o
o o o
o o

So the backs of some of the plants would get extra light.

DamnUglyDogE

Learning the rules well,so as to break them effect
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I gotz my thinking cap on today and y'all got me thinking Over grown plants. :monkeyeat
Having done so more than I care to have. I've started to notice the lack of quality out weighs the gain in buds. Same as lowers, in my book. Getting that perfect canopy of green to go pure gold need as much of the plants energy directed at flower's as possible. Lower and overs being diverted energy from the center mass...

Man, I like this hash, I'm puffen...
Hope I remeber this shit next season...:smoke out:

:alien:

.​

DabOnDabs

Veteran
So you're saying that when you grow big plants, even though there is more, there is more crap on there as well, and decreases overall quality? Just trying to make sure I read you correctly. Last run I found that I had a pretty even light penetration. While the top colas were obviously bigger, the lowers were nice and dense as well. Certainly a bit of crap tho... I have 6 pounds of sugar leaf and lowers to blow into dabs so there were definitely a bit. I don't mind extra dabs tho ;)

I've never really grown small plants so it would be interesting to compare. I wonder if there is a level of diminishing return , or if it's all relative.. For example if a 5 oz small plant had 1 oz of shit, would a 10 oz plant have 2 oz of shit(relative) or 4 oz (diminishing)

DamnUglyDogE

Learning the rules well,so as to break them effect
ICMag Donor
Veteran
That's my thinken, in a nut shell...

My minds eye sees a solid 4' x 3' screened canopy per light, x 4 if doughnut.
4' x 8'-9' if,angled cornered & bulb to bulb..

Easier said then done. .lol

lvtokerr

how much is frying your face on a bulb or busting your back tying shit up? I liked how clean your old grow was. i hated playing limbo in the past with 1ks. 10# off a 6 lighter might make it all worth it though... just when i thought i wanted to copy your old room...

DabOnDabs

Veteran
I turn all 3 bulbs off on whichever side im working on, so no fried faces. Ive learned my lesson about these fucking lights. I Have more burns than i care to admit, but none recently;;

The convenience is gone. 100%, you're right Lv. My room was 32x9....Its just so fucking long and skinny, that track was eating half of my floor space. I need my floorspace.

DabOnDabs

Veteran
Just wanted to let it be known that I have the 303'd post, and he 420th post in this thread. My days here are done. Im out. Bye ICmag, its been real.

Jk

To answer your question further lvtokerr, This system would be complete tits if the room was like.....12-14 foot wide. That way you could have two rows of lights, and a way to walk around them.

I need a garage.

So you're saying that when you grow big plants, even though there is more, there is more crap on there as well, and decreases overall quality? Just trying to make sure I read you correctly. Last run I found that I had a pretty even light penetration. While the top colas were obviously bigger, the lowers were nice and dense as well. Certainly a bit of crap tho... I have 6 pounds of sugar leaf and lowers to blow into dabs so there were definitely a bit. I don't mind extra dabs tho ;)

I've never really grown small plants so it would be interesting to compare. I wonder if there is a level of diminishing return , or if it's all relative.. For example if a 5 oz small plant had 1 oz of shit, would a 10 oz plant have 2 oz of shit(relative) or 4 oz (diminishing)

I always figure there's a sweet spot. The higher ratio of plant matter in the sweet spot overall, the higher quality the buds end up being overall. I know it's kind of regurgitating what I've heard rather than what I've seen (I have a bad habit of overgrowing my trees too), but I stand by it. Pound for pound I think higher quality comes out of SOGs than trees, mainly for this reason. The higher weight's due to the increased plant count but the higher quality's due to easier canopy management.

As far as diminishing returns goes, from what I've seen the dropoff is significant. IRL I haven't seen too many people be successful with larger plants in their sogs/vscrogs than about 1.5 oz tightly packed or 4 oz (3'h 2'w one direction lighting) bushes. Might get more off of some really stretchy strain that gives better penetration and wall coverage, but most of the people I knew grew less than 60 day strains and none of them did that. Got one friend experimenting with super tall stretchy girls now but the jury's still out since he's focusing on breeding projects rather than picking a strain and getting the kinks out of his training routine.

I've heard rumors of people just blowing stuff up with light to try and make up the difference (13k on one plant in one instance) but I've never seen any finished product so I don't know firsthand how that theory works when it's pushed to extremes.

Sqydro

I'm moving away from the perlite. It's a crutch... Maybe some on the bottom but that's it. I was feeding 8x peer day

redic amounts, this time then pure coco? and a bit on bottom for res? how does that self drainage work looks the nuts

best of luck mate

DabOnDabs

Veteran
I always figure there's a sweet spot. The higher ratio of plant matter in the sweet spot overall, the higher quality the buds end up being overall. I know it's kind of regurgitating what I've heard rather than what I've seen (I have a bad habit of overgrowing my trees too), but I stand by it. Pound for pound I think higher quality comes out of SOGs than trees, mainly for this reason. The higher weight's due to the increased plant count but the higher quality's due to easier canopy management.

As far as diminishing returns goes, from what I've seen the dropoff is significant. IRL I haven't seen too many people be successful with larger plants in their sogs/vscrogs than about 1.5 oz tightly packed or 4 oz (3'h 2'w one direction lighting) bushes. Might get more off of some really stretchy strain that gives better penetration and wall coverage, but most of the people I knew grew less than 60 day strains and none of them did that. Got one friend experimenting with super tall stretchy girls now but the jury's still out since he's focusing on breeding projects rather than picking a strain and getting the kinks out of his training routine.

I've heard rumors of people just blowing stuff up with light to try and make up the difference (13k on one plant in one instance) but I've never seen any finished product so I don't know firsthand how that theory works when it's pushed to extremes.

13k on one plant...pics or it didnt happen :moon::moon: thats insane!!!

As far as big plant success; you said this; "I haven't seen too many people be successful with larger plants in their sogs/vscrogs than about 1.5 oz tightly packed or 4 oz (3'h 2'w one direction lighting) bushes."

Not sure I'm understanding what you're saying, because as I read it im sayin...WHAAATTTT...

I can guarantee you that there are alot of people in vertville that are pullin more than 4oz of quality bud off each plant.

I cant say that 100% of the 14oz avg of my last plants was that Supreme, perfect fatty dankness. But at least half of it was. At least. Each plant was droppin 20g colas left and right. like...10 per plant easy. Others in this forum and elsewhere growing big trees are rockin colas twice the size of mine, and plants even bigger. But, i think i didnt understand your statement

DabOnDabs

Veteran
redic amounts, this time then pure coco? and a bit on bottom for res? how does that self drainage work looks the nuts

best of luck mate

The drain is simple. 5 gallon buckets w/ carlon through fittings, connected to about 20'' of hose. That hose leads to the main drain pipe. I ran 1'' drain, i wish it was 2'', but i couldnt figure out how to transition my 3/4'' hose to a 2'' pipe. I'm no plumber, and spend enough time stoned in home depot as it is lol.

Anyways, the drain runs the length of my room, through a wall, and then i use the same kinkproof yellow hose to lead it to the drain. In my drying room.

The feed is a 1200gph pump hooked up to 3/4'' feed lines. the 3/4'' feed lines T at every plant site, and i run 1/2'' black hose from the hydro store, w/ black hole drippers. But they dont drip, it sprays outta there pretty strong.

Feed times change, and i was watering 8x per day at the end of flower last time. Kinda seemed like a bit much to me, not sure if there was any added benefit..Had to keep it wet tho because there was so much perlite.

This time my mix is like 50/50...Will probably water at most 5x per day at the end of flower but we'll see.

The taste and quality of last round has me sold on low PPM feeds more often. Shits fuckin killer. All of the patients were blown away, and thats why we do it. Nothin more satisfying than being told your bud is better than 95% of the shit in the stores. Bag appeal, smell, taste, stone. Fuck ya baby!

Sqydro

The drain is simple. 5 gallon buckets w/ carlon through fittings, connected to about 20'' of hose. That hose leads to the main drain pipe. I ran 1'' drain, i wish it was 2'', but i couldnt figure out how to transition my 3/4'' hose to a 2'' pipe. I'm no plumber, and spend enough time stoned in home depot as it is lol.

Anyways, the drain runs the length of my room, through a wall, and then i use the same kinkproof yellow hose to lead it to the drain. In my drying room.

The feed is a 1200gph pump hooked up to 3/4'' feed lines. the 3/4'' feed lines T at every plant site, and i run 1/2'' black hose from the hydro store, w/ black hole drippers. But they dont drip, it sprays outta there pretty strong.

Feed times change, and i was watering 8x per day at the end of flower last time. Kinda seemed like a bit much to me, not sure if there was any added benefit..Had to keep it wet tho because there was so much perlite.

This time my mix is like 50/50...Will probably water at most 5x per day at the end of flower but we'll see.

The taste and quality of last round has me sold on low PPM feeds more often. Shits fuckin killer. All of the patients were blown away, and thats why we do it. Nothin more satisfying than being told your bud is better than 95% of the shit in the stores. Bag appeal, smell, taste, stone. Fuck ya baby!

ok im sold lol nice job sir :laughing:

DabOnDabs

Veteran
I'm going to see snoop and wiz on 4/20. I needa start rollin blunts now, that shits a month away. You crack me up bro

Mister_D

Veteran

:respect: bro, you have no idea how much easier your grow career just got :biggrin:. Growers almost always give me the same look of disbelief when I tell them how low my EC/ppm stays throughout the grow, but often find themselves wondering why my shit smokes smoother off the branch than theirs does after two months in a jar :biggrin:. Obviously a proper dry and cure is paramount, but if you overfed the plant while it was alive....... well, you can only polish a turd so much :moon:.

Arminius

"I'm not a pezzamist, I am an optometrist"
Veteran
:respect: bro, you have no idea how much easier your grow career just got :biggrin:. Growers almost always give me the same look of disbelief when I tell them how low my EC/ppm stays throughout the grow, but often find themselves wondering why my shit smokes smoother off the branch than theirs does after two months in a jar :biggrin:. Obviously a proper dry and cure is paramount, but if you overfed the plant while it was alive....... well, you can only polish a turd so much :moon:.
Yeah! What he said... My predecessor used the full H&G line, with all the expensive additives. We were in a room the other day and he was looking at the solution, and asked if I was feeding just water for some reason. I replied, nope, full strength solution hahaha