What's new

Δ9-THC's closet 4 bucket DWC

ItsGrowTime

gets some
Veteran
Lookin good! I just harvested and its great and a pain in the ass at the same time. What are your trich colors looking like?

Btw, I didnt pH my flush water either and the flush has been 7 days today. I figured I dont want them eating from the water and left over salts so why pH adjust? On the other hand, does the pH also affect the plants ability to eat from its reserves too? Id like to know.

Δ9-THC

Hmm.. you have a valid point.. we try to keep our pH in an optimal range so plants can take up nutrients, when in flush we want the opposite. I was merely thinking pH was important so as to not shock the plant and cause some sort of ill response. I guess the idea is to have the plant starve off of what little reserve of energy it has, but I think the biology of what goes on is much more complex than I can take a stab at.

IGT: Any pics of your plants? i don't have a loop or anything that I can get a good view of my trichs, but judging by the more crystalline look of the buds I'd say they're probably clouding up. The calyxes on nearly all of the buds are orange as well. I've seen pics of plants taht are flushed until all of the leaves turn yellow, but I'm afraid the buds will start to lose color. I'm also planning to make butter with the trim, which I presume will work a bit better with green leaves vs. dead brown ones.

ItsGrowTime

gets some
Veteran
Pics on the last page of my grow diary in my sig. The big one was taken at 60 days and its an 8 week indica. 70% cloudy 20% clear 10% amber with some orange hairs. Mine didnt orange up much at all but that seems to vary by strain anyway. Id suggest just picking up a magnifier if you plan to keep growing in the future.

Δ9-THC

IGT: Sorry, ya I took a look through your grow diary. I was wondering if you had pics of the plants after flush, but prior to chop. Judgin by the enjoyment this grow has brought me (even tho it's perhaps not the most productive!) I do hope to continue growing. I'm headed to the store this evening, so I'll see if they've got one.

ItsGrowTime

gets some
Veteran
Δ9-THC said:
IGT: Sorry, ya I took a look through your grow diary. I was wondering if you had pics of the plants after flush, but prior to chop. Judgin by the enjoyment this grow has brought me (even tho it's perhaps not the most productive!) I do hope to continue growing. I'm headed to the store this evening, so I'll see if they've got one.

Hmm, I dont think I took any pics like right before I cut. If you look at my gallery I have some recent pics but my camera isnt very good so I doubt they would help you. Im not sure it would matter anyway since we grew different strains. Whats the advertised flower time for yours?

Δ9-THC

I have no idea how long they're supposed to flower :frown: . I'm at 65 days flower, so I could be slightly premature, but I don't think so. I've got four clones ready for the next round, but I think I'd like to switch genetics just for fun.

Sauce

You should really get a strong magnifying glass or a microscope to look at the trichs. That is really the best way to tell when to chop. I have a little 10x pocket scope and a Radioshack microscope that's 60-100x. Both work well for viewing trichs although the microscope gets much closer in. The 10x scope was only $3 at a hardware store and the microscope $8 at Radioshack. I suggest getting something like this, it will be helpful in future harvests too. Plus they're fun to mess around with and look at stuff.

They are looking close to being ready. Looking good :yes: have fun smoking it all :smoker: :D

waster

just read through your thread - looks like you're gonna have some nice bud soon. Just a thought, if your cutting were in rockwool, I usually plant the rockwool level with the hydroton. I wonder if you have the hydroton too high up the stem which might have caused the stem rot problem?

Δ9-THC

Waster: Sup dude! Thanks for readin. I was thinking the same thing actually. Having constantly saturated rock wool right around the base of the plant might promote stem rot. All told, I'm not sure how much those stem issues effected my grow other than lengthening the veg period. The big changes I plan on making for next round are: HPS for flowering, air STONES (not the stupid diffuser I have now that doesn't do crap), and to use a pH pen instead of drops.

ItsGrowTime

gets some
Veteran
Speaking of the stem rot, I had a plant that did that as well. I had to tie it up just to keep it from falling over and breaking. It turned out that a mister feeding that plant in my aero had clogged and the other plants were taking out the nutes and the sick plant was just getting water with very light nutes. After clearing the clog it fixed itself in a week.
Anyway, point is that your plant with stem rot might not have been getting enough nutes for some reason.

Δ9-THC

That would make some sense. The two grapefruits had the stem rot the worst, and also the most stunted growth. I too had to string my plants up to keep them from falling over.

Δ9-THC

I checked the trichs, and it's hard as hell to get then in focus with the radio shack $9 magnifier that I got, but they look too be all cloudy and white. I'm planning to chop em this evening. I'll snap some pics later. From what I've read, people seem to be flushing anywhere from 3 days to two weeks, and i'm at 5 days. I could wait longer, but I'm not using clearex or anythin like that, just plain tap water, so I think the usefullness of the flush is limited.

Sauce

Δ9-THC said:
I checked the trichs, and it's hard as hell to get then in focus with the radio shack $9 magnifier that I got, but they look too be all cloudy and white.

The problem with such a powerful scope is you need to cut off little leaf pieces to examine on a table. Using it to look at a plant will not work, the focus is much too sensitive. I just cut a few very small leaf pieces off each plants bud, then examine each on a piece of paper and you will get perfect focus of them.

Hope this helps.

Δ9-THC

:badday: Well... I chopped two plants tonight... I don't know why but I'm kind of heart broken to come to the end of my first grow. I think I started out with too high of expectations and not enough willingness to see that practice makes perfect. I cut the smallest plant first, the grapefruit that had stem problems from the start, and honestly.... it was pathetic.... barely anything there worth smoking. :badday:

I then chopped the smaller of the bluberries, and it was quite a bit lighter than I was expecting. Maybe I just have a poor sense of this stage of a grow. I left a decent amount of leaf on the buds, and left a lot of the popcorn that will probably be pretty crappy. The pictures look better than it really is. All of the buds are really airy, not dense at all.

Oh well. Look at all that trim! butter time :woohoo:

Also, throughout this grow I never looked at the roots of my plants, so I'll snap some pics tomorrow. Maybe that's the 'root' of my problems :pointlaug Still 2 to go also, hopefully the bigger grapefruit has some weight on it.

G

Hi Delta....... and all........

Hi Delta....... and all........

Been off for couple of days. I changed my e-mail address like usual every couple of weeks but took them a few days to get me back on. Oh well, just as well... I was busy clipping away.

Delta--look up a 30x jeweler's loupe on the net. That is what I use. Much easier than those hand held microscopes. I also have a nice little antiquated microscope when I take a sample off to look at or want to look over the dried trichomes. Don't get the $10 cheap Chinese loupe that looks just like the $30 dollar one, the optics are far less clear. I have had several of the had held micros and pretty much useless unless you cut pieces off and put them on a flat surface they aren't worth a shit..... and at that point you may as well use a real microscope.... I love the view at 100x..... and a single trichome takes up the whole view at 400x. Anyway....

The Blueberry didn't turn out as bad as I thought. If you'd like to see, just let me know and I'll post a couple pics. I have a real interesting one that if you click on it and see it full size is a trip..... its a bud that went Hermie right at the end. The rest of the plant is fine but this single large bud.... its pretty cool. I also have pics right before harvest if you want to see some of those. The amount of yellowing and other colors prior to flush but cutting back on the Nitro varies greatly with strain and even in the same strains but different grows. You guys were right on the using up the stored nitro and carbs, definitely makes a difference in the harshness and nitro is carcinogenic in some forms when combusted, one reason it is bad idea to foliar feed with it. It does decrease the final weight just like curing does, that is why besides time, commercial growers don't do it. Well talked your ear off.

Peace

Last edited:
G

Delta-- Those look nice. Blueberry is not known to be a big producer. You will double it next time. Each time gets better. Really try some Serious AK-47. I promise you, you will be much more pleased with the outcome, and probably the high.

Peace

Δ9-THC

Hey Bree. Thanks for the kind words. I'll definitely keep my eye out for AK clones. I checked out the pics you posted on IGT's thread, those buds are pretty cool lookin!

dubracer

Δ9-THC said:
Hey Bree. Thanks for the kind words. I'll definitely keep my eye out for AK clones. I checked out the pics you posted on IGT's thread, those buds are pretty cool lookin!

got any macro shots of the buds (closeups?) Love to see some.

Δ9-THC

Mine or Bree's?? My super expensive SLR has a hard time taking macro shots... I need a different lens or an adapter.

Latest posts

Latest posts