What's new

CXB3590 vs MH/HPS vs 650W ChilLED

skorchem

Sorry for derailing this thread OP i'll just answer LOC quickly, there's is an infinite way of building these systems you don't have to follow the herd.

TBH most of the heat is thrown down from the lights, the real heat comes from the drivers.

You could do what you said and have cpu heatsinks this will probably be the cheapest option.
then get some long thin aluminium u-shape beans to screw the heatsinks to in such a way that you can rotate them to direct the lights freely.

Dont go overboard with fans once these fixtures are up and running your ambient temp will only rise by about 50 degrees or 10c and can easily be cooled with inlet and extraction fans, get some fan ducting and direct them towards the lights and you're golden. Work smarter not harder :)

Loc Dog

Hobbies include "drinkin', smokin' weed, and all k
Veteran
Sorry for derailing this thread OP i'll just answer LOC quickly, there's is an infinite way of building these systems you don't have to follow the herd.

TBH most of the heat is thrown down from the lights, the real heat comes from the drivers.

You could do what you said and have cpu heatsinks this will probably be the cheapest option.
then get some long thin aluminium u-shape beans to screw the heatsinks to in such a way that you can rotate them to direct the lights freely.

Dont go overboard with fans once these fixtures are up and running your ambient temp will only rise by about 50 degrees or 10c and can easily be cooled with inlet and extraction fans, get some fan ducting and direct them towards the lights and you're golden. Work smarter not harder :)

Do the power supplies put off much heat, which could easily be mounted outside tent?

Thanks!!!

DeceiverZ

Veteran
What is your electric bill wow nice grow though inpressed I've been at it for over 16 years myself can't risk a grow like that killer looking shit bra.

The Electric bill isn't that bad. I'm in Massachusetts and paying about $750 per month including general electric living expenses.

you will need heatsinks of some kind as they will help keep the cobs lasting longer, and the cooler they run the more useable light they produce.

with my config I get roughly 50 watts per square foot, no need for any other color leds as they have little to no effect as has been demonstrated by growmau5.

These lights are not to be underestimated they really do produce the goods, and even at two feet above the canopy the plant internodes are around two inches apart with inner leaf growth having to be stripped out as the penetration is off the chart.

THEY really do put out a whole lot of light! And I've noticed the same, as you mention here. The internodal spacing is much tighter and the branches much thicker than in previous rounds with the same strains.

Do the power supplies put off much heat, which could easily be mounted outside tent?

Thanks!!!

They don't put out that much heat, noise or anything so I'm going to confidently state that their heat contribution is negligible.

Bobbo4200, Koondense, Seriousbuds, OranguTrump
Thanks for following along! I appreciate the support and kind words!

DeceiverZ

Veteran
ChilLED DAY 35

ChilLED DAY 35

So today I had to switch the three ChilLED lights from 100% power to 50% power since the tops of my buds are getting bleached from the intensity. If I had properly managed their height and allowed 18 to 30 inches of canopy thickness, the distance from the light would have been greater and therefore a larger more spread out footprint for the fixtures. So instead of 1,950W we will be continuing this 4x8" table at just aprox 975W/

With the exception of the bleached tips, these buds are coming out AMAZING. No deficiencies and everything is looking healthy and deep green as they start their 5th week of flower...

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

DeceiverZ

Veteran
HPS DAY 35

HPS DAY 35

The 1,800W HPS table is looking very good. I'm used to growing under HPS bulbs and these USHIO's Opti Reds contain a great flowering spectrum IMO.

I used my method seven glasses to take these pics so the white would be balanced more appropriately.
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

DeceiverZ

Veteran
CXB3590 DAY 35

CXB3590 DAY 35

This table dries out the fastest and also has more varying shades of green than the other tables. Meaning, there's more shades of deep and lime green than the other tables.

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

Healthreasons

WOW my friend! Each table is looking incredible! Well done! Can't wait to hear the final weight results and the smoke report! Thanks for sharing

DeceiverZ

Veteran
Lusciously lovely guy!

:thank you:

WOW my friend! Each table is looking incredible! Well done! Can't wait to hear the final weight results and the smoke report! Thanks for sharing

:tiphat:
I hope to get your smoke report on these strains as well. Second opinion always helps.

Below I have posted the same clones from each table taken at day 37 of 12/12. I selected GG#4 for the comparison this round since it's a popular strain that a lot of the growers here will recognize.

DeceiverZ

Veteran
ChilLED Gorilla Glue #4 DAY 37

ChilLED Gorilla Glue #4 DAY 37

Some of the tops were bleached from the proximity to the lights. Due to the limited ceiling height, I won't be able to move the lights further up at this point. :dunno:

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

Last edited:

DeceiverZ

Veteran
HPS Gorilla Glue #4 DAY 37

HPS Gorilla Glue #4 DAY 37

The plants under the HPS are doing great. This table would be considered the "control" group I suppose since it is located between the COB's and ChilLED fixtures. This means the outer edges of this center tray will have a bit of both lighting sources so perhaps I will be able to make some keen observations there as well.

Anyway, since I haven't put up too many of the HPS table, here's a few nice ones.

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

Last edited:

DeceiverZ

Veteran
CXB3590 Gorilla Glue #4 DAY 37

CXB3590 Gorilla Glue #4 DAY 37

The CXB3590's are showing GREAT promise. The buds look a bit more lime green than the deep green that I typically like. However, I believe this is also due to the buds being a bit too close to the fixtures. I'm learning that unlike the HPS bulbs which I'm used to, these COBs require more space to the canopy.

I was fearing that COB's perhaps didn't have enough penetration power but I was wrong on that assumption. Even the popcorn growing beneath the canopy are doing better than expected!

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

Thanks for following my grow!

Latest posts

Latest posts