What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Curing with the C-Vault?

Jhhnn

Veteran
I can't imagine why they wouldn't. If they'll work in stainless, they'll work in glass as well.

Yep. They work for me in the rubber gasket wire bale glass jars, so there's no reason they won't work in any inert container that seals well.

I keep 'em in a cool dark place, too. Dunno how much difference that makes, but it's easy enough to accomplish. Even if you can't get cool, you can get dark.

I'd use the fridge, except it's always full of something else.

T

TOKA

should of been more clear with my question. i know they would work in a mason jar perfectly well. but if i was to remove the air from the jar using a vacuum, then would the humidipak still work with no air?

i suppose what im really trying to find out is if a vacuum sealed jar still has a humidity percentage since all the air is sucked out of it. the humidipaks work by air passing through them so if there is no air then they wont work. trying to decide what works best, using humidipaks vs vacuum or using both together.

Jhhnn

Veteran
I don't understand why we'd want to preserve freshness with vacuum sealing, because curing is really the opposite of that. We want chemical processes to occur in a controlled environment, processes that alter the taste & aroma of the material. We also want to prevent mold at the same time. That process begins as soon as plant life ends, and will proceed only so long as moisture content is adequate. Once the material becomes overly dry, it stops & can't be re-started. It can be seen as an extension of the life processes in the plant. The reaction will cease on its own when available elements have been recombined. If the moisture level is too high, mold can take hold.

Boveda packs in sealed containers just help us to maintain the proper moisture level. Much the same results can be obtained w/o them, but it requires a lot more diligence. Boveda packs give us a cushion against over drying. It's essentially a modification of simon's method, described here-

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?threadid=156237

Swandog62

what the CVault says

what the CVault says

Hi

I am a little late in commenting but here goes, when I invented the CVault the thought was to develop a repeatable system for both curing and storing cannabis. That said my instructions on how to use the CVault for a 30 day cure and thought process is as follows, please note these are my opinions

Dry your cannabis thoroughly, it is ok to dry to a point you would consider to be a little over dried

Place the dried manicured flower into CVault and secure latches

It is not necessary to burp or sweat the CVault, the Boveda pak will add & remove moisture working towards stabilizing in the CVault to 62% relative humidity. If you can't resist burping then once every other day will do for 10 minutes

**I am of the opinion that the cure & or aging of cannabis occurs once the dried flowers have stabilized for a prolonged period of time.

After day six there should be no need open CVault, I recommend keeping latches secure until day 21

By day 21 your cannabis will have completely stabilized to a 62% relative humidity, remove Boveda paks for CVault and place in an airtight jar they can be use for next harvest.

Day 22 - reverse burp for two or three days to introduce oxygen and improve nose

Day 25 - latches are secure or pop one or two latches to create small airflow to finish.

Day 26 - leave with latches on until day 30

I did a study with the Werc Shop out of LA, they tested the CVault for 168 days, you can find there report on their website.
http://thewercshop.com/

the report is located within the information tab.

Regarding pricing:
*The CVault is a permanent curing and storage solution, it is not the cheapest but it is the best.
*FYI on our experimental cure using the 6 liter we averaged 1.1 grams of shake - we estimate buying at retail the system pays for itself in 1 to 2 harvests.

I hope this isn't considered spam.

BCNeil

Swandog..................I have the 6 litre and the 17.7 litre cvaults and after 2 months I like them. That being said, why the need for bullshit? Here is the sale pitch on many sites selling them......

Boveda® 62% Boveda® patented 2 way humidity technology ensures a relative humidity of 62% with a +or- 1% humidity variance. No Brainer ! NO ADJUSMENTS, NO FIDDLING, just take the Boveda and place in our CVault, and within 24 to 48 hours your product will be at the PERFECT relative humidity.

24-48 hours? That's dishonesty. Unless of course you start with 60-61% starting product.

seems like a super expensive container, with some super super cheep packets inside...i have a large collection of mason jars and even glass bottom tuppawares with silicon seals and latches that work as well or better than the 3 piece jars...

i really like the idea of the product and have been strongly considering buying a few but i just can't get over how incredibly easy it would be to make a small cage for the packet out of a hardware cloth type of metal screen and hot glue it to the lid or toss it into any 100% airtight, food-safe container... i have the jars and hardware cloth, and i enjoy making things...i just can't come up with any decent reason for why i shouldn't just order a dozen packets for like 40-50 bucks and then have like 12 or more gallons of cure capacity for the price of one of those containers...

i am wondering, however, why 62 percent??? i mean the Simon thread that everybody goes by says 55% is the ideal consistency of pot right? i have been doing mine by feel for years so i don't know where i like mine exactly...but i do know that i don't like the inconsistency that comes with doing it by feel...i think i would much prefer if all my jars were at my exact preferred dryness at all times, and these packs seem like they would do that...except that 62% seems really high too me, i like my weed pretty crumbly but not so dry that it loses flavor. since i haven't ever tested my finished product to see what my preferred humidity is i guess i don't really have much of a starting point.

my question is, everyone who has used this product, what is the consistency of weed at 62% humidity? would you have preferred it drier? i am thinking about ordering a dozen of these packets tonight, but am sorta thinking i might get lower humidity packets for a drier finished product...people around here hate moist weed, because they don't like paying extra for moisture that was most likely added after the fact by some unscrupulous dealer...

Treetroit City

Moderately Super
Veteran
I'm happy with the Boveda packs. Didn't buy the CVault, I just use totes and tupperware and toss the pack in.

As far as the 62%, I find it is great for storing long term but yeah, I allow buds to dry fully before smoking. Although to be fair it's not like the flowers are 62% moisture. When I take them in to be tested they are at 6-8%, right where they should be.

ive always been confused by this stuff, lol i knew the weed wasn't actually 62% moisture...that would be like almost fresh off the plant moisture...it's a measure of the humidity of the air right? and the 8 percent or so of moisture in the weed keeps the air at 62%? i suppose this is temperature dependent... so does weed kept at 62% crumble? im trying to get an idea of how it would compare to mine, and i don't want my weed so moist it will brick itself if it's sat on, more like break apart and crumble...

2 Legal Co

Veteran
I'm just using 'Water Pillows' in my jars. $.99ea....I get them at the 'Smoker Friendly' stores here in Denver area.

Also I use a 2month minimum cure.... I'm in no hurry, but I'm particular.
I'm finding that 2 quart jars are very useful..... Gallon jars, in the freezer, for longterm storage.

I'm sure the C vaults are wonderful, just can't justify the price. If I could get the 'humidipacs' for a similar price I'd certainly try them out.

I've found that the water pillows, if left in for the whole cure are a bit too moist (they are supposed to be 62% as well), so I only keep them in for a couple of weeks. 62%, from what I've heard and suspected is pretty much what cigars and pipe tobacco are held at. Holding at that level is just a bit too moist for me, for long term curing.

This is a great thread, and I look forward to the time when sales/production volumes, allow for a major price reduction.

2 Legal Co

Veteran
Hi

I am a little late in commenting but here goes, when I invented the CVault the thought was to develop a repeatable system for both curing and storing cannabis. That said my instructions on how to use the CVault for a 30 day cure and thought process is as follows, please note these are my opinions

Dry your cannabis thoroughly, it is ok to dry to a point you would consider to be a little over dried

Place the dried manicured flower into CVault and secure latches

It is not necessary to burp or sweat the CVault, the Boveda pak will add & remove moisture working towards stabilizing in the CVault to 62% relative humidity. If you can't resist burping then once every other day will do for 10 minutes

**I am of the opinion that the cure & or aging of cannabis occurs once the dried flowers have stabilized for a prolonged period of time.

After day six there should be no need open CVault, I recommend keeping latches secure until day 21

By day 21 your cannabis will have completely stabilized to a 62% relative humidity, remove Boveda paks for CVault and place in an airtight jar they can be use for next harvest.

Day 22 - reverse burp for two or three days to introduce oxygen and improve nose

Day 25 - latches are secure or pop one or two latches to create small airflow to finish.

Day 26 - leave with latches on until day 30

I did a study with the Werc Shop out of LA, they tested the CVault for 168 days, you can find there report on their website.
http://thewercshop.com/

the report is located within the information tab.

Regarding pricing:
*The CVault is a permanent curing and storage solution, it is not the cheapest but it is the best.
*FYI on our experimental cure using the 6 liter we averaged 1.1 grams of shake - we estimate buying at retail the system pays for itself in 1 to 2 harvests.

I hope this isn't considered spam.

Thx for participating. I'm assuming you are, or rep. the Principal of the C Vault company?

I tried to follow your link to the wercshop (sp?)... didn't stay long enough to find reference of your product however.... a more concise link would be good I'm thinking.

DoomsDay

Bodiva packs are a buck a piece where I'm at. Curing containers... white 2.5 gallon buckets with lids. Haven't found a better setup yet. I used to use those jars too, didn't like the fact light shines right through them, and you have to shake like hell to toss up your buds. Anyone sitting on a few plants worth of harvest knows that jars and those little mouths are bullshit. Plastic bucket with a Bodiva taped to the lid.

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
when they first came out a friend came over with one.....he got laughed at a lot .....yeehaw...stoners buy all kinds of overpriced gadgets...

DoomsDay

when they first came out a friend came over with one.....he got laughed at a lot .....yeehaw...stoners buy all kinds of overpriced gadgets...

My wife came into a hydro store with me once and saw the c-vault bowls. She inquired about them and looked at me with a face that said "guacamole container " and I agreed. Then we found out it was a 60 dollar mixing bowl with a lid... yea... no.

KoonDawg

Curing vs Storing

Curing vs Storing

There is a difference between curing and storing. I've been cultivating for over a decade and was taught by the best. Curing your medicine is considered by many one of the most important processes of producing the best quality medicine. Of course genetics are always #1.
After properly drying you harvest, curing is the next step. We hang or place our non hangers on drying racks, allowing the flowers to dry slowly in a dark environment, kept between 40 - 50% humidity. You want the flowers to cure from the inside, out. You'll know when your buds are dry by trying to "snap" the stem. The buds moisture should escape out through the remaining stem, and once they "snap" instead of bend, they are ready to begin the curing process.
We cure in the largest Mason type (hinged lock top) jars. Each hold between 6 to 9 ounces (depending on the strain). We fill the jars about 80 -90%, NEVER packing the flowers in the jar. We "burp" the jars twice a day for the first 7 to 10 days, then once a day for the next 3 weeks. Your flowers are going through a metamorphosis at this stage, which makes it important to release the expelled gases (burping) and allowing a bit of fresh air to enter the jar. This curing process allows the medicine to reach full potency and you can witness almost on a daily basis the improvement of the flowers delicious aroma and the transformation of color.
After our 4 week curing process, then we release our medicine to our patients. We store the excess medicine in the same type of large Mason type jars, with 3 to 4 of the 62% Boveda packages, which keeps the medicine in perfect condition for months.
I can see that these CVaults would be an alternative for the large Mason jars. Not sure if adding humidity during the curing process is necessary or a good idea. I'd be interested in hearing others opinion, but I have followed the teachings I was blessed with for many years now and we have never added humidity or the Boveda packages until we are storing.
Just sharing the teachings and methods I (we) have used over the years with nothing but success. Hope this helps others, and although I've been cultivating and associating with several of our industry's giants, I am still learning and looking for improvements each and everyday, and appreciate feedback from all.
Keep it pure, grow excellence. This is the best "job" on the planet, bringing peace and smiles to patients lives. :tiphat:

Latest posts

Latest posts