What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Curing with the C-Vault?

W89

Veteran
oh right sorry bud LOl so what you just put this inside your box of buds and it will maintain the correct humidity?

2 Legal Co

Veteran
W89
thx for pointing out the possible problem. Sometimes 'brain fade' is an issue for me. lol

After re-reading the description, it seems to be adjustable and is electronically controlled. ??? who knows... it is after all the tobacco industry. lol

simon

Weedomus Maximus
Veteran
has anyone used the C-Vault to cure their flowers? they advertise a "perfect" 62% humidity http://www.thecvault.com/

By a stroke of sheer coincidence, I just watched the C-Vault vid. Two factors at play, as it concerns us: curing and the humidity pack. In terms of curing, the humidity pack doesn't really do anything. The curing process is internal, not external. In terms of rehydration, humidity packs are great.

At the risk of stating the obvious, one can toss a humidity pack into any relatively airtight container and achieve the same result as the C-Vault. This being said, the C-Vault seems very nicely finished and has some appeal.

Simon

2 Legal Co

Veteran
I'd have to agree Simon. My problem is not wanting to use disposable packs.

A friend of mine has purchased a plastic cabinet from Homey Depot that has removable shelving. He installed a fan on a timer to change the air.

What I'm trying to do is extend the dry time. My RH is 25-30%, so things go dry in 2-3 days, on the outside, requiring extreme 'burping' as the stems continue to dry more slowly. Nothing to do with the final 'curing' process.

Perhaps holding the RH up for storage after the cure as well though.

Jhhnn

Veteran
I'd have to agree Simon. My problem is not wanting to use disposable packs.

A friend of mine has purchased a plastic cabinet from Homey Depot that has removable shelving. He installed a fan on a timer to change the air.

What I'm trying to do is extend the dry time. My RH is 25-30%, so things go dry in 2-3 days, on the outside, requiring extreme 'burping' as the stems continue to dry more slowly. Nothing to do with the final 'curing' process.

Perhaps holding the RH up for storage after the cure as well though.

I have the same sort of low humidity environment. This first time around, I hung the buds in a fine mesh polyester bag in a cool, dry & dark place, pulling them out occasionally onto a tray to rearrange them in the bag, even out the drying. The bag slows down the air exchange to the buds. When they seemed to be getting close to dry, I put 'em into a big wire bale jar with the boveda paks & simon's recommended humidity meter. One of the interesting things about the boveda paks is that the membrane lets water pass in either direction. Buds in the jar that raised the RH to 70% a few days ago now measure 62-63% w/o burping. I'm sure the water absorption capacity is limited, but I rate it as a good thing in the curing process...

The hard part will be keeping the jar closed for at lest a month or so- probably easier when it's not the only jar...

Mesh bags-

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=13961

Inexpensive big-ass 5 liter curing jars-

http://www.containerstore.com/shop?productId=10011037&N=&Nao=60&Ns=p_sort_default|0&Ntt=jars

watts

ohms
Veteran
how do you put the boveda paks in jars? the c-vault has a slot or something. Does their have to be space between top and bottom of the boveda paks? Also what size boveda for those 5 litre jars?

Jhhnn

Veteran
how do you put the boveda paks in jars? the c-vault has a slot or something. Does their have to be space between top and bottom of the boveda paks? Also what size boveda for those 5 litre jars?

My jar is only half full, if that. It's my first harvest in 30 years- an autoflower. I just put 2 of the large (3"x5") boveda paks right in with the buds. They're obviously pretty tough- I'd have to work at it to get one to leak. The paks need to be able to breathe in the container to do their job.

Boveda's permeable membrane tech is unusual. If I put in more than enough paks, the humidity will never go above the rated value, and will recover to the rated value faster when the jar is opened & then re-closed. Theoretically, anyway. More paks will probably serve the purpose longer, too, I suspect.

I really can't speak to the results, as this only happened over the last week. So far, so good, apparently. Only one way to find out, right?

watts

ohms
Veteran
where is everyone getting the c-vaults from? I see this one place that has mega c vaults for $60. Not sure if its safe to order though.

A

ak-51

I would just buy a large glass tupperware container. It's going to be cheaper, you can get it at the supermarket and the performance will be the same provided you use the same humidity packs in it.

jayjayfrank

Veteran
ok, so... taking it a step further...

what kind of salts are they using?

and what kind of ratio would you need for a 100 gallon oil drum?

Unicron

I've been using humidipaks for a while. They work good with the flicky type locking mechanism jars that seal well. They last long time, 1 small kept about half oz right at 62 through a dry winter when I first tested.

They will dry out and get hard if you don't seal them up. I store idle ones all together in same jar.

Like someone else said its good to let the weed dry a lil before smoking. I just grind a days worth and let it sit in grinder.

Its a cool invention that works. Throw 1 right on the weed it don't hurt it. Holy crap I'm too high to communicate, using all my power to type must go rest now.

Jhhnn

Veteran
Almost 2 months later, I have to say that boveda packs in wire bale jars give a really nice cure. The smoke is much smoother & has much better flavor. Aroma is more subtle, but richer, and the potency is still there, maybe smoother & a bit more complex.

All comments from testers have been positive & enthusiastic. I'll experiment with other methods if I ever develop sufficient production to allow experimentation, but this is it, for now. Works great.

Wooderson

I'm solid on the Boveda Packs! Even tho most think you Can't "Rehumidify" very Dry Flowers, You totally can with the Boveda Packs and any sealable glass jar! Makes them perfect!

St3ve

You can rehydrate them for sure, but once they get below 50% the curing process will not restart. (or so I've read)

thought i would share...

onyxcontainers.com seem to be the people who make the "cvault" but they sell them cheaper

i dont think they have a slot in the lid for a boveda pack but it is likely worth the saved $.

8cm onyx "airtight" $16.00
8cm"small" cvault $21.00

you still neeed boveda packs, but either way its cheaper than the cvault branded and marketed towards cannabis

T

TOKA

been using these humidipaks in stainless steel coffee jars for a few months now and they are a very good product! does anyone know if they would still work in a vacuum sealed mason jar?

2 Legal Co

Veteran
been using these humidipaks in stainless steel coffee jars for a few months now and they are a very good product! does anyone know if they would still work in a vacuum sealed mason jar?

I can't imagine why they wouldn't. If they'll work in stainless, they'll work in glass as well.

Latest posts

Latest posts