What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Curing with the C-Vault?

2 Legal Co

Veteran
I decided to go the Cheap route. Went to my local nursery and picked up a package of 'Soil Moist' TM,,, I've used these crystals previously in indoor plants, and a neighbor made some 'cool collars' with them as well.

It doesn't take them long to pick up water to 'charge' them. I put them in an old nylon sock (no holes, just thin). They've been in for 3 days now, and seem to be holding the RH at 55%. The enclosure I'm humidifying is an old metal cabinet roughly 5'x 3'x 18"s, containing 4 levels of shelving. When I first put it in the Cab., and the sock was wet, the RH spiked to 65%. I used Distilled Water to 'charge' them. FYI

Weed is in jars, with the lids off. If it works out the way I expect, it will simplify my life, as the weed is in 12 jars varying in size from 1qt to 1 gallon.

The apparent 'volume' of the sock is decreasing noticeably (probably around 30%). RH in the room is 25-30%. I'm thinking that a large ice chest with a better seal, and a bit less volume would be even better? Temp in room is 60-62*F (basement).

Thoughts?

Cost of the small package was $6.00, and I used just over half of it to make one package. Net weight of the pkg was 3oz....

UPDATE; Nope. Not the real deal. They don't hold well in the mid range RH. Too wet or too dry.. Scraped the idea.

chubbynugs

Registered Pothead
Veteran
Lifewithoutplastic sells the same exact containers minus the holder for the boveda at half the cost. Cvault sells their product at an outrageously marked up price for what you think you get. A big jar with the packs will work just as good.

whatthe215

Veteran
yeah they know what's up...

"Boveda has been exploding in the medical cannabis market because it maximizes efficacy, aroma, color and flavor while allowing a cooler burn.

Boveda has become a staple in many dispensaries, grow operations and personal storage because you can now store cannabis indefinitely. Yes, really. As long as you have a Boveda with life in it (it’s time for replacement when you can’t bend it in half anymore) you can keep perfectly stored cannabis forever. And since Boveda enhances the quality of cannabis, it’s the first time you can reliably age cannabis like you would a wine or cigar."

http://www.bovedainc.com/store/herbal/

but they sell the 69% ones for cannabis not 62%.

"When do you use a 60 gram Boveda? Whenever it fits in your storage container."

so the cvault is completely unnecessary.. they say any container, the better the seal the more efficiently the pack thing works.

groer

I picked up some 62 humidipaks, they work great for storage. I don't know about burning cooler though, I think moist weed is more harsh, I let it dry out before smoking.

St3ve

but they sell the 69% ones for cannabis not 62%...

They do sell the 62% which is perfect, but that is new. I didn't see that a few weeks ago.

I don't know about burning cooler though, I think moist weed is more harsh, I let it dry out before smoking.

I was thinkin the same thing.. however, I wonder how it would be if it was a slow aged 62%? Or maybe just a marketing ploy
:peacock:

Well, I must say I made a big mistake the other night and left my CVault open the next morning and my weed was down to about 28 % humidity. I was able to get it back up to 62 percent but its definitely not the same. :(

2 Legal Co

Veteran
I picked up some 62 humidipaks, they work great for storage. I don't know about burning cooler though, I think moist weed is more harsh, I let it dry out before smoking.

Where did you find them? If you don't mind sharing.

Also,, are they rechargeable? So some at a cigar store on line that weren't/didn't seem to be. Said 'disposable'.

I've had cvaults for over a year but just recently started using just the humidipaks for curing, they work great!

Btw, I've been told that the best way to use these for curing is to let it dry until the stems snap, approx 55%rh and then to put them in the cvault with the humidipaks... I tried it and it worked nicely for me...

Where did you find them? If you don't mind sharing.

Also,, are they rechargeable? So some at a cigar store on line that weren't/didn't seem to be. Said 'disposable'.

You can find them on Amazon...and they don't recharge...you place them in a jar or cvault and change them out when they feel hard...if you want to use them in a mason jar them just tape one to the lid...make sure you have a humidity gauge in there...can't remember what they are called...

Jhhnn

Veteran
i'm planning on getting some but the packs only. Does the packs leak or have an odar? Should I just place it on top in the glass jar?

I've been experimenting with them- no odor & they seem pretty tough & leak resistant. They just need to be inside the container somewhere.

2 Legal Co

Veteran
You can find them on Amazon...and they don't recharge...you place them in a jar or cvault and change them out when they feel hard...if you want to use them in a mason jar them just tape one to the lid...make sure you have a humidity gauge in there...can't remember what they are called...

Have you found them to hold the RH @62% reliably?

My old RH controller is out of a humidor I had kicking around, but RH seems to wander between 40-73%. I've installed it in a 48 quart Igloo cooler, with hook & loop material to make it removable. It is rechargeable with distilled water.

I already abandoned the the 'moisture control' crystals that I tried. They don't seem to be controllable at all. Going to use them in some outdoor planters. Nothing gained, but nothing lost either.

Was playing on a cigar site. They sell something by 'Le Vail' that is digital, programmable, and refillable, for $90..... Supposed to hold up to 600 cigars @ the selected RH. Could be interesting for long term growing/curing?

http://www.thompsoncigar.com/produc...oryId=8389&categoryId=8407&subCategoryId=8407

My old RH controller is out of a humidor I had kicking around, but RH seems to wander between 40-73%. I've installed it in a 48 quart Igloo cooler, with hook & loop material to make it removable. It is rechargeable with distilled water.

I already abandoned the the 'moisture control' crystals that I tried. They don't seem to be controllable at all. Going to use them in some outdoor planters. Nothing gained, but nothing lost either.

Was playing on a cigar site. They sell something by 'Le Vail' that is digital, programmable, and refillable, for $90..... Supposed to hold up to 600 cigars @ the selected RH. Could be interesting for long term growing/curing?

http://www.thompsoncigar.com/produc...oryId=8389&categoryId=8407&subCategoryId=8407

Yes, they do hold it at 62 if you use the amount of humidipaks they tell you to for the size of the container...

W89

Veteran

Dimensions 6"L x 2"W x 3½"H not gonna hold much weed

2 Legal Co

Veteran
Dimensions 6"L x 2"W x 3½"H not gonna hold much weed

Unless I'm badly mistaken, that is the size of the Humidifier?

I'll go look again. thx

edit; Yup that's a Humidifier, no Humidor involved at that price or size. Also uses a refillable water cartridge.

Latest posts

Latest posts