What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

creative ways to dispose of pot trash

G

Gr33nSanta

everything goes in a pile with the spent soil, sits for a while, gets re-amended (in my case with worms and compost) then reused.

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
I had to pet sit a chinchilla for a while. The bedding material for the cage is shredded hemp stalk.
This should go without saying but i Ifll say it, you compost makes sure cover the illegal plant material with legal material. Don't leave obvious leaf on top.
I know a lady who digs trench, puts in plant stuff, covers it up, next season thats where she plants.
I know a kid who puts his trash bags in a dumpster at a daycare with no camera. His reasoning is nobody gonna dig thru shitty smelling diaper trash.
I have been saving my bong, and bowl ash to use a source of potash. Pot ash for potash. Not sure how to use it yet, if I should mix it with the rest of stuff to compost or leach and add to tea.

xet

Rocket Stove
maxresdefault.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

Biochar
imgp3681.jpg

1434748165824.jpg

St. Phatty

Birds love chopped up leaves.

If you've ever worked in a restaurant and been assigned to chopping parsley - sort of like that.

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
winner@420giveaway
I put my smaller stems and all leaves in a blender and turn it to green mush. Then it's easy to get rid of.

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
I put my smaller stems and all leaves in a blender and turn it to green mush. Then it's easy to get rid of.

I trim over a screen then bho extract the sugar leaf/larf that I missed with a quick drysift. Everything post extract plus my fan leaves and stems I use as a mulch/top dress
Anytime I've had mites I throw this thru the compost bin before using it as topdressing.

insomniac_AU

People are going to think I'm crazy but I'm a small scale personal grower and I live in a rural area. I just cut the stems to about 2 inch lengths and throw everything in garbage bags and then double bag. Everything then just goes straight in my wheelie bin and gets picked up by the garbage truck. I put them at the bottom of the bin and empty the cat's litter tray on top which really helps mask the odour if someone were to open the bin, then garbage on top. I put the bins out really late the night before pick up and they go first thing in the morning. Been doing that for probably 15 years now. I put everything in there, roots, leaves, stumps, the lot. I honestly think there's less risk in that than putting the stuff in my car and driving somewhere with it. Unfortunately when it's illegal there'll always be some level of risk in whatever you do. Obviously I'm only talking about a few garbage bags of compressed waste so this wouldn't be an option for a larger grow.

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
A while back I read a paper from late 1800s that said if hemp farmers used the retting water as fertilizer they wouldn't have to use as much other fertilizers if any.
I'd like to make a tea from only stems, and one of leaves/trim see if either make any improvement.

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
winner@420giveaway
Retting- that was a new one for me, CannaRed. I looked for a thread on ICMAG, but I didn't find one.

In a nutshell- Retting is a method used for fiber crops like hemp, where you soak stalks in water. The rotting of parts of the stem/stalks, allows the fiber to be separated easier.

You should start a thread and see if anybody else has tried it, CannaRed, it's an interesting concept.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
Bags I don't touch, as cleaning or burning them is awkward.

Bottles I wipe with bleach. Then chuck in boiling water and shake. Quickly transfer the water to the next bottle, and tread on yours while still hot. Putting the lid on while flat, stops air getting in, so they can't expand again. The tough 5L bottles flatten really well, considering how hard it is to chop them up.

Leaves get blended or diced, before getting the flush.

Twigs are saved for the yearly fire. We have bonfire night here. A cardboard box full of twigs is easy to punch holes in and light with a squirt of smelly accelerate. The trimming gloves go in, and it all goes up quickly and stinking of petrochemicals

CoCo burns alright. You pull it from your tubs, held firm by the root ball. Dry it in that shape, then fill an incinerator bin with them, stuffing the gaps with twig and leaf if you have any. It goes in a few minutes. Pot after pot can be fed in, at quite a rate. But don't break it up first. As a heap it smoulders for hours. You want bricks filling that bin with flames top to bottom. The occasional glove is always handy, if green waste is going in. But CoCo and root are just 'stuff'

Nothing is piling up. Sometime's old kit makes it's way back to the shop. Once wiped down with bleach. They can just chuck it, like old demo kit. Or sell it. I don't care...

I won't use rockwool anymore. It's itchy shit that I don't want to send anywhere.

insomniac_AU

I couldn't grow if I didn't have rockwool.
It certainly makes my grows much less messy and easier to dispose of waste. The only waste I have at the end is the roots, stumps/branches, shade leaves and a 3 inch square block of grow wool. BTW I'm not trying to imply what I'm doing is better or worse than anyone else's methods. I just find that works best for me here. I don't want any kind of soil inside my house. I grow in a bedroom.

X

xavier7995

Moved on from tossing in dumpsters and now i bury/mix them in with my garden beds. Sort of a lazy mans hugelkultur bed, i save them up till i have a good sized pile and then make a mound and cover in soil in my garden beds at the end of fall. I assume they will break down well enough and will just till the thing in the spring.

mctasty

If you have a riding mower, I just pile mine up on the lawn when I cut the grass and I mulch it up. I grow in coir I put root balls and all.

Gry

Veteran
I have cats that think catnip is boring, but anything cannabis related is a source of joy to them.
They actually roll around and wallow in it prior to consuming it .

OranguTrump

Crotchety Old Crotch
I take it to work in standard store plastic bag & I throw in the garbage there. Outside main door. I work at a postal depot. Hide in plain sight.

Latest posts

Latest posts