What's new

Creating an AF strain - 1st attempt

blynx

WALSTIB
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I've wanted to play with AFs for a while now, mostly to try to make my own AF strains.

A couple years ago I was given some Masterlow seeds. I was only able to successfully get one to grow and it was a male. I managed to collect a very small amount of pollen.

This pollen sat in the freezer and was forgotten until I pulled out the pollen collection to make some seeds and saw it laying there.

At the time I had some PBSxSD plants going (pbs = purple bagseed). This was a cross I made the other year and it is my current favorite bud to smoke.

I took what little pollen there was and tried hitting up a PBSxSD that was in flower. The pollen was from my earliest collection attempts and was not in the best shape. I only managed to get a whole 3 seeds from that pollination.

I started one of those seeds (PBSxSD x ML) and it's a fem. The plant is currently a little older than 50 days. It's small like the Masterlow I'm growing in my other thread because of cool temps early on.

If I understand the method to breed an AF, it can be done in 3 steps with AF pollen.

The first step is done (PBSxSD x ML). The 3 seeds that came from this cross should all be AF recessive.

The (PBSxSD x ML) that is growing will be transplanted to a 3gal container and stuck into flower in the next day or two.

Here's some pics from the other day

Day 50

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Once she gets growing a bit more, I plan on hitting her up with some Masterlow pollen, so I'll have (PBSxSD x ML) x ML. This should give me approx half AF and half non-AF seeds.

Then one more step of choosing a nice AF fem from those seeds and hitting it up with ML one last time.

C

cork144

lowryders and lowryder #2's will auto flower when breed with eachother or with themselves, if you want to take another non auto flowering strain and make it auto flower you have to do this:

for your males i say use lowryder #2, it's bushier and better.
for your females, whatever you want. start these plants about six weeks before your lowryder 2's, put them in flower when your lowryders start there first set of true leaves.

take 2 lowryder #2 male's and pollinate 2 female's of plant x.

save as much pollen as you can.

keep the offspring seeds seperate.

take the offspring seeds from that cross and choose the first female from each to show sex and again pollinate those female's with lowryder #2 pollen.

ok, so now you have two batches of seeds. now you have to start inbreding them to get the autoflower to 100%, just take the quickest ones to flower and breed em together. it should only take two or three grows, but some people say for it to become stable it takes seven.

just for reference mate, im sure youknow what your upto :respect:

thinking about doing the same myself.

blynx

WALSTIB
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Day 54

picture.php

picture.php

She is under 24/0 light and is throwing out more hairs up top, so I decided to transplant her to a larger container and put her into flower. I count the day I put the plant into flower as day 0.

(* I screwed up the timer, the lights weren't going off, so it's still vegging at this point *)

Day 54

picture.php

When I transplanted her, she was not even close to being rootbound.

My PBSxSD is not early flowering or autoflowering.

I thought the AF genes in this first cross would be totally recessive and I would not see any influence by them in this first cross.

Was I wrong about this?

Last edited:
I

IceColdCrickets

I love the NON-AF PBSxSD , great job!

The one thing i do notice, the growth is very slugish. At day 50 of a veg cycle the plant should be much larger then it is. DC is one of the slowest plants in veg and they are much larger then this by day 50. I would wonder why it is growing so slowly and it might be something to watch out for when trying to make it an AF. Due to the fact that AFs need to get as big as possible to ensure yeild, in the first 3-4 weeks of growth before they start the flowering process. Looking at this plant at day 50, makes me wonder how small she was at day 21, not a trait I would like to pass on to the new AF that may turn into a micro pheno. Of course this is only theory, and I hope she turns out fine,, just something to think about.

ICC.

blynx

WALSTIB
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I love the NON-AF PBSxSD , great job!

The one thing i do notice, the growth is very slugish. At day 50 of a veg cycle the plant should be much larger then it is. DC is one of the slowest plants in veg and they are much larger then this by day 50. I would wonder why it is growing so slowly and it might be something to watch out for when trying to make it an AF. Due to the fact that AFs need to get as big as possible to ensure yeild, in the first 3-4 weeks of growth before they start the flowering process. Looking at this plant at day 50, makes me wonder how small she was at day 21, not a trait I would like to pass on to the new AF that may turn into a micro pheno. Of course this is only theory, and I hope she turns out fine,, just something to think about.

ICC.

I'm pretty sure it was a matter of low lights and very low temps that kept the plant small at the beginning.

It was kept under a couple cfls and the nightly temps would dip to the low 50s.

bromhexine

from what ive read the best way to breed is to only cross to the auto once and never backcross to it. so youd grow out the cross and they'll be pretty much %0 auto and then those seeds you cross with eachother and 1/4 will be auto and then you inbreed those for stability. this makes most sense to me as you only want the auto part and if you backcross to the ml or whatever you're adding more of the ruderalis traits.

grimcreeper

Sexy bagseed plant blynx. I've toyed with the idea of making my own auto strain as well. I'll definitely be checking back to see how this turns out. Good luck!

blynx

WALSTIB
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Day 57

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Not too much change as it's only been 3 days.

I expect she will start to grow more after she's had about a week to adjust/recover from the transplant.

blynx

WALSTIB
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I got the timer situation straightened out and she was put into flower a couple days ago.

Day 03

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

She's still stretching a bit. I'm gonna give her another couple weeks before hitting her up with some Masterlow pollen.

chubbynugs

Registered Pothead
Veteran
Tagged. I am on the verge of starting an af cross with masterlow and sr71 PK. Glad that pollen worked out for you.

It looks to be auto if you had pollen left you should cross back agian .. i crossed the auto ak47 with a auto flower called early wonder skunk and am currently growing them outdoors:)

Latest posts

Latest posts