What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Coyotes killed my cat

PCBuds

Catch him in the act. Doxx him. Publicly shame him. Fuck him up. Anything. Hell, its very rare I condone contacting the authorities, but this seems like one of those times. No one should get away with hurting animals, especially pets.

I heard about it through a friend and I asked who he was and she didn't know.

It's good to see some people care.

I had a neighbor who was trying to kill cats in his back yard.

He tried to impress me by saying he wanted to go on a shooting spree and kill as many people as he could.

He wants to send his child to school with weapons.

I asked him if he would kill his own wife and kids too.

He didn't respond.

Ignorant people.

Green Squall

I had a wolfdawg back when, so that is a sad picture to me. Coy-wolves are spreading in Canada. I may have shot a red wolf once thinking it was a 'yote, and have regretted it since. It did roll, get up, run away, then when out of range it looked back at me with a look that I knew meant he took a bunch of karma off my account.

Coywolves really do look like the real thing. They've been around these parts in MA for well over a decade and I'm always surprised with how well fed and healthy they look. Check out this one that a local took a pic of just the other day.

picture.php

PCBuds

I... I may have shot a red wolf once thinking it was a 'yote, and have regretted it since. It did roll, get up, run away, then when out of range it looked back at me with a look that I knew meant he took a bunch of karma off my account.

I remember driving from Sudbury to Thunder Bay along the trans-Canada highway about 25 years ago.

We didn't have much money so we pulled down a gravel access road going to a transmission tower to camp.

When we woke up we saw a beautiful, brilliant red fox standing in front of our cooler.

We had emptied the station wagon to have room to sleep in the car.

I nervously got out of my car and gave it a slice of bread, then quickly tried to reload the car.

But it came back again for another slice, then another.

It was probably feeding its kits?

I didn't want it to think that humans are a source of food or it would end up getting shot.

Every diner we stopped at up there had fox pelts hanging on the wall.

I don't know if I got good karma from that or not.
It may have ended up dead?

Maybe I should have scared it away?
(I didn't want to get bit though. Lol)

PCBuds

I wanna get myself one of these as my next cat.

She won't need no dog or human to protect herself.

I've loved the puma (black panther) ever since my mom bought me a pair of these in 1975...

Joint Lock

Sorry, gotta blow off a lottle steam. The wife woke me up this morning in hysterics. One of the cats was missing and she found it dead in the easement behind the house. Coyotes killed it. My wife has been crying all day.

I'm so fucking steamed. She was a sweet little cat and didn't deserve to die that way.

The city won't do shit about it and we even hired a trapper once before when they started hanging around the neighborhood.

I'd sit out there and shoot 'em but that wouldn't fly around here.

I'm just venting.

10/22 with 30rd mag

PCBuds

I've had my cat since she was 8 weeks old.
I don't want to lose her.

This was when I was thinking of getting rid of her. She's a pain in the ass. Lol

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
We have wolf/coyote hybrids. I was stalked by a pack a couple years ago. I was harvesting a site at about midnight and with only a small pair of scissors to defend myself. Quiet sneaky fuckers they are. They had me surrounded and were in the bush 100 feet away watching me and yelping at each other. I abandoned my hockey bag full of bud and hightailed it out of there to the car. But I didn't want to act like prey so I walked and used a low rumbling throat grow every once in a while. I returned the next morning to finish off.

About a month later a neighboring farmer shot this bad boy.

picture.php

therevverend

Veteran
We have the idea that a wolf is clearly a wolf, a dog is a dog, a coyote is a coyote, a jackal is a jackal. The reality is that 'dogs' have always interbred and that hybrids are much more common in nature then previously thought. Genetic testing has shaken things up. Here's a link to a blog post on the subject on a taxonomist's website. Talks about how scientists have been slow to acknowledge this in animals but readily acknowledge it in plants. Recently they've found populations of coyote with quite a bit of red wolf DNA.

http://coo.fieldofscience.com/2009/04/wolf-and-wolf-and-wolf-and-wolf-and-cub.html

When my cat gets eaten by coyotes or raccoons, hit by a car or whatever, it'll suck and I'll be depressed for a while but he's got it coming. He gives as good as he'll get. A couple days ago he killed a cottontail. A smallish one, I think it was a young female. He dropped it in the kitchen next to the oven. It was still warm so I watched a how to YouTube video, skinned it and cleaned it. Gave him the head to play with. Made rabbit curry. With potatoes, zucchini, onions, and tomato. It was so good, a little stringy and not much meat but what was there was sweet and mild. A lot like chicken, a white meat you have to pick off the bones but better. It made for a rich stew.

I hadn't eaten wild rabbit before it's more like chicken then the domesticated rabbit from the butcher shop. I've never seen a rabbit in my neighborhood although they've been introduced into the area. I've decided I'm not letting any more of his larger game go to waste, he deposits it in the kitchen for a reason. Robins, squirrels, and rabbits, he can keep the shrews, mice, and rats. Although the big brown rats that eat grass roots, live out in the yard might be good if the stores run low on food..

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
My dad had a wolf dog as a pet when he was a kid. He said they don't make good pets because playing with them is dangerous. Any thing they have, like a stick, you better not reach for because they'll visiously protect what is theirs. But they make excellent guard dogs. Lol

As for cats? I keep them outdoors to keep the mice from entering the house. And animals eat one or two a year. We keep one in the house at night but only because he likes sleeping close to us. He's been around now for 3 years. And that's a record.

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
Coywolves really do look like the real thing. They've been around these parts in MA for well over a decade and I'm always surprised with how well fed and healthy they look. Check out this one that a local took a pic of just the other day.

View Image

I never heard of these before. Seeing this and the post by Tychomolyth there is no doubt. The pack behavior and hunting style make them a threat to dogs, cats, kids and adults. I have no problem eliminating a coyote and just the tool to do it - a high power .25 air rifle with night optics. Quiet as a mouse.

EsterEssence

Veteran
The coyotes were close and loud last night, they are not afraid of man, before my last outside dog died they would come near enough to the house to to get a drink out of his bucket. My small house dog won’t go out in the yard anymore, he’s going blind and deaf so he is locked in at night...

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor

View Image

The ears on the coywolf are taller and pointed. Wolf ears are more rounded and lower, and really furry.

mammal_gray-wolf_600x300.ashx
<< not kenai

Meet Kenai, the mighty wolfdawg. He used to get "coffee grounds" mites in his ears, and I would clean them out with the end of my sunglasses, cause it was blunt. Like in the pic.

He would ride with me everywhere i went, and was a real wolfdawg ambassador. RIP big guy.

One day he and his female mate were out in my yard while I was mowing. The female came to me nervous and a little bloody, so I jumped in the PU and drove back behind the woods where she came from. I was blaring the horn . Out of the woods comes Kenai, tired and soaked in blood. I washed him off and he didn't have any wounds. Wolves hate coyotes naturally, unless they are horny I suppose. It was their blood, not his.

The locals swear that there have been black panthers around this area. I have seen some big cat prints in the mud when we dug a pond (dry year, only water around). Cat tracks have the claws retracted. Friend had something big and dark on a game cam. The .Guv Game people say it's not true about big cats in the area, but you can't shoot one if you see it.

Last edited:

therevverend

Veteran
Ever seen Scooter the coyote on YouTube? He was a rescue, the guy that cares for him is licensed by his state, takes him to schools and park rec events for teaching. It sounds like the guy is a woman at first, he talks in a high pitched voice to the coyote. It seems like wild-ish animals like that kind of thing. My cat likes when I talk high, gets mad and scared when I go low.

Anyone who's considering getting a wolf, or a coyote, or a hybrid should watch Scoot's videos. It's madness, you'd have to be crazy to want one and after a day you'd go crazy. There's YouTube posters who complain about the coyote being in a basement in a chainlink cage with a cement floor. 'Why can't you at least put down some carpet'. The outdoor growers around here probably know the answer. In my opinion the guy is amazing, the coyote is in great shape for being captive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsrlWjFGJu8

armedoldhippy

Veteran
got coyote/dog hybrids here. more pure 'yotes though. not as if they couldn't find someone to fuck, lol. damn hybrids smarter than either parent, not particularly afraid of humans either. they ARE smart enough to avoid us best they can though.

igrowone

Veteran
there's an interesting book out there, forget its title but it's about the coyote colonization of the eastern half of the US
go back to 1600 or so, and what was everywhere in eastern half of the US?
wolves, and wolves do not tolerate coyotes
fast forward 400 years, no more wolves and that left a vacancy for a predator

Sunshineinabag

Well if white men hadn't wiped out buffalo the fukers would be eating like mother nature intended...I love how we encroach onto these HABITATS for " living" then bitch about the native wildlife that belong there way more then we do.......

mexweed

Veteran
there are coyotes around where I live and they have a healthy population of rabbits and prairie dogs to feed on, but every now again you see a poster for a missing cat and have to wonder

have met one face to face with my dog on a trail once, was at least 30ft away and we just turned and went the other direction, I was worried my dog would start launching at it if we got too close, he's a 50lb apbt and his favorite thing is wrestling/play fighting with a 95lb american bulldog, the coyotes don't seem that big but when they leave prints on the trail they're actually pretty huge

igrowone

Veteran
that source I mentioned was written by a biologist, lots of information
the thinking on coyote killing of animals such as cats
it's not seeing the cat as prey, rather they see them as competition
biologists use the term 'guild competitor'
condolences to the OP on his loss, but posting does remind people this is a situation which is unlikely to go away

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
Getting rid of them, even in cities, has proven to be difficult at best.

There is research to suggest that removal efforts result in bigger litters which surprised even the experts.