What's new

COVID-19 Boots on the ground reports, what is happening in your town?

St. Phatty

I also saw that they discovered the virus survived on a surface for 17 days.

That test was an RNA test which found RNA on a surface 17 days after the initial event.

RNA can be stored 1000's of year.

So it recorded the presence of the virus but not whether the virus was infectious (the virus version of "alive").

clearheaded

thats not a really good gauge if you know someone who died or very ill as numbers wise yes its unlikely however the more it spreads the more serious cases will happen. its just a matter of time before 40-60% of people get it, yes most will survive but if no breathing machines available instead of a few % of those people dieing it will be more like 5-10%! clearly its VERY contagious so need to prevent spreading it so folks with poor immunity or fighting cancer dont die! HUGE % of people who ill fighting cancer or hospitilied for long periods dont die from the disease they die from shit they get in the hospital ie "pnemonia" or staph invections etc.

the flu is aready way deadlier then we give it credit for and this is order of magnitude worse. so dont be dumb pretend u have it or everyone has it so people who have poorer immune systems dont die!

italy felt same way oh i didnt know anyone super sick... then look what happens?

I assure you gov and companies want money and fucking with economy is LAST thing they want to do. so just think about billions being lost to help save YOUR life! economic impact has got to be near war time severity! clothes companies making masks like they would of made uniforms or ammo in war times.

Mr. J

Well this is the boots on the ground what's happening in your town thread so I'm just wondering if anyone in your neighborhood has the virus and if anyone has died. The whole world is shut down and there's supposed to be some kind of apocalypse going on but I'm not seeing it and apparently neither is anybody else. Can anyone read Italian? If so could you tell me what they're saying in the Italian forum?

Medfinder

Chemon 91
Griffith Park trails closed. Here’s which Southern California parks are safe to visit during coronavirus outbreak

Southern Californians can still walk, hike and bike outdoors without violating Gov. Gavin Newsom’s “stay at home” order, but options are narrowing as public agencies move to stop many activities, including hiking on Los Angeles County’s multi-use trail system, golf and team sports on public courts, parking at many beaches and state parks and hiking on trails in the Santa Monica Mountains.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Governor is on TV in Colorado. State wide stay at home order. Heard Idaho (edit: and Nevada) just did the same. Extended unemployment, promises of compensation payments, etc, etc. etc.

Keep 6' distance when standing in line and other details.

St. Phatty

I assure you gov and companies want money and fucking with economy is LAST thing they want to do. so just think about billions being lost to help save YOUR life! economic impact has got to be near war time severity! clothes companies making masks like they would of made uniforms or ammo in war times.

Czech. are showing real Do it Yourself approach, sewing masks and getting them out.

can't show the pic because my disk is full.

US is headed for a Clusterfvck of Civil War proportions.

https://i.insider.com/53874410eab8ea7e59b36468?width=1100&format=jpeg&auto=webp

link to image, WW2 casualties.

The US lost 420,000 to WW2.

Unfortunately the US will hit that death toll before May 1, i.e. in about a month, unfortunately right around 4-20.

if it continues the five-fold increase every week pace for another 4 weeks. 400 x 5x5x5 = 50,000 - 3 weeks after March 22.

Today 3 days after that 400 data point, the US is on course for a 7 fold increase this week.

At this point I'm not even sure if it would help Americans to wear masks, in terms of the spread. I think it has widely spread already, and made its way into every household in towns big enough to be near a Walmart.

As long as people stand in lines 10 deep, 30 lines, nobody wearing masks, full shopping carts. That should be a clinical trial with volunteers. But it's repeated at about 4769 Walmarts in the US. That's a problem.

I would have to say the difference between the few nations that made it work, via testing and simple widespread mask-wearing, and the rest of us, including the US - that is a very stark difference.

I hear a few finance industry people calling out Singapore as a good place to go, referring to the billionaire survivalist prepper category - they already like Singapore.

I guess they're not pot-smokers. That is something Singapore has to change, their pot laws.

Their super rational response and ability to contain it, without the dead giveaways like overflowing morgues - which is already happening in the US -has got to attract more companies and people.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
was sent home from work this evening because of a fever. automatic back out the door if you have elevated temp when coming in. guess i should not have stood out in the sun on loading dock talking with friends before i went into office...:tiphat: didn't much feel like working anyway after i found out that we had been potentially exposed last set of shifts.:moon:

Im'One

My tough and hard 38 year old son in law who is in very good shape from soing outside construction work came down with some thing. His headache last night was so sever he threw up.

My daughter is staying at their rental cabin and staying in contact with him by phone. She smokes and has some signs of copd, uses an inhaler. She has lung damage from working in the swimming pool business for the past twenty years. I am in okla and she is in missouri. I cannot even go see her without risking my wifes life.

CrushnYuba

I don't think they are trying to stop the spread. I don't think that's really possible. I think they are trying to slow it down enough that our hospitals can treat the severe cases. Most of us have to get it. At that point we will rely on herd immunity and life can go back to normal. They have to keep people going to the store and passing it around like a hot potato.

Everyone in California is ordered to stay at home. But all stores are still open. There is no enforcement asking people where they are going.

WelderDan

Veteran
Before I left work, I was handed a piece of paper that essentially give me carte blanche be out and about.

"The bearer of this letter is providing emergency communications sustainment and restoration services to critical communications infrastructure facilities in response to COVID-19 Declaration of National Emergency."

To ensure first responder, emergency responders, public messaging and 911 communications, yada yada yada from March 16 to May 28, 2020

So no curfew or denial for travel for me

CrushnYuba

Before I left work, I was handed a piece of paper that essentially give me carte blanche be out and about.

"The bearer of this letter is providing emergency communications sustainment and restoration services to critical communications infrastructure facilities in response to COVID-19 Declaration of National Emergency."

To ensure first responder, emergency responders, public messaging and 911 communications, yada yada yada from March 16 to May 28, 2020

So no curfew or denial for travel for me

I heard all the grocery store employees were getting them.

WelderDan

Veteran
I heard all the grocery store employees were getting them.

I would hope so. People gotta eat. Can't buy food if the stores have no employees. I work for a communications service. Gotta keep Internet and phone services operable so people can work from home and communicate, as well as have critical 911 services.

Even if the State shuts down, I will be able to go places without being hassled.

Tynehead Tom

Here in the Detroit area there is little if any food on the shelves.
People are beating one another for toilet paper.

What is happening in your neck of the woods?
Wishing peace to you all in these crazy days.

Peace
Shag

Hopefully you are staying safe brother.
I'm in a small town but it is a tourism area here , often referred to as the fishing highway. Lots of people from down in the city 5 hrs away have vacation properties here on the numerous lakes in the area.
We have 2 supermarkets here and normally they serve the small population (2000 in town + 3000 in the outskirts) but with all these city folks fleeing the urban centers..... our 2 supermarkets have been getting pounded hard.
toilet paper
sanitary products
rice
flour
sugar
coffee
pasta
cigarettes
e-cig products
meats
staple vegetables
and many many more essentials are more often than not, sold out.

crazy times indeed.
Me and the wife , the dog and the chickens are doing just fine. I'm a hunter, a fisherman and a gardner….. we are well stocked and have a well so clean water is also not an issue.
have a generator, 250 gallons of diesel, a ridiculous amount of ammunition and a large very well equipped first aid kit. We have breathing devices for chem and viral for humans...… I need something for the dog..... the chickens are on their own there LOL

Still 30 inches of ice on my favorite lakes so I am ice fishin every day for Kokanee. Practicing "social distancing" by self isolating in my ice fishing hut :biggrin:
my motto right now is Stay Calm and Get Your Fuggen Fish On!! :dance013: :dance013:
ya'all take care out there!

6b8PkcC.jpg

Tudo

Troublemaker
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I have family in la la land, maybe this shit will get some re-evaluations when over:

LA Mayor To Cut Off Water & Power Of "Irresponsible, Selfish" Stores That Remain Open

Earlier, Los Angeles County Sheriff Alex Villanueva ordered all gun stores closed (fearing that too many first-time gun-owners were getting access to weapons), and now LA Mayor Eric Garcetti lashed out at non-essential stores that refuse to close, making an ominous threat.

He said the Department of Water and Power will shut off water and power for the businesses that don’t comply with the “safer at home” ordinance.

Neighborhood prosecutors will implement safety measures and will contact the businesses before issuing further action, according to Garcetti.
“The easiest way to avoid a visit is to follow the rules,” he said.
This all seems to be accelerating down the extremely slippery slope towards full authoritarian control - something the politicians will be unwilling to easily give up once this crisis blows through.
Finally, the mayor said L.A. is six to 12 days behind New York in being hit with a wave of positive cases.
“The peak is not here yet,” he said.
“It will be bad... We need to be prepared for some of the darkness that is ahead.”
L.A. County had 669 confirmed coronavirus cases as of Tuesday, with 11 deaths. The state had 2,566 cases with 51 deaths.
https://www.zerohedge.com/political...ower-irresponsible-selfish-stores-remain-open

https://www.zerohedge.com/political...ower-irresponsible-selfish-stores-remain-open

bigAl25

Veteran
I just spent 45 minutes to 1 hour doing my grocery shopping on line with our Schnuck's store. Some glitches is their program for certain products but an option to fill out what you really want. Shopper can contact you via phone if questions arise. Left a tip of 10% on order for the shopper. Utilization of coupons in paper ad still up in the air, I'm a thrifty little shit, but told them I had the coupons at home. Delivery within 5 hours per web site. First time using this option, and I do have a compromised immune system, bladder cancer survivor( 3 operations and summer 2019 of chemo). My son had been doing the shopping for us last week. We are hunkered down, will get outside today should be 70 degrees this afternoon with sun. Stay safe, and my small grow could not have come at a better time. Every day I go and just look over and tend to the plants in 4th week of flower. That would brighten up anyone's day including mine.

igrowone

Veteran
I've been reading reports that re-infection is possible. If that is the case, then Herd Immunity would not seem to apply.
from what i've read, it's still an open issue scientifically
it might be a short term type immunity like colds which are often caused by other corona viruses
that is typically a 3 month type immunity