What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

COVID-19 Boots on the ground reports, what is happening in your town?

superpedro

Veteran
My 82 year old mom, iron health, has been down with virus for the past 18 days. Where I live, they prefer not to hospitalise unless absolute necessity (makes sense) And they won't do any testing unless you need hospitalisation..
So, she has been alone with pain in lungs, difficulty speaking long sentences before running out of breath.
Health workers made one visit 5 days ago, full ambulance, masks. Gave her a mask through the letterbox before entering. No lung infection was found. No testing done, but told it was likely corona.
Today. First time in 18 days, she called and sounded much better than yesterday :)

Strange thing. The thought of losing didn't dominate my fear, She is old, lived a good life and so on. It was the thought of her being alone while dying that freaked me out.
I feel sorry for those not being able to say goodbye around the world.. :(
Hi, thanks for all the friendly well wishes I received. Thought you all deserve an update. All seems to be improving, besides the chestpain remains and a bit of cough - but certainly much better.

Here in Denmark our lockdown has been prolonged until April 13.
We don't know yet if our lockdown is enough to avoid the same scale as Italy.

Stay safe, and thanks again:huggg:

M

moose eater

Glad your mum's a bit better, Pedro.

Hope her lungs recover to previous condition.

Forgot to add, the K-12 schools here are closed until May 1st for now (my guess is that will be continued, as far as in-person attendance is concerned). Meanwhile we and our younger son received notice some of his classes will attempt an on-line distance educational tract now, though I didn't get the impression they were talking about streaming; more leaving assignments on line for individual study.

Gives him lots of time to blow the snow from the driveway (we're reportedly expecting 6-19 inches of snow over 3 days, beginning yesterday, & depending on where a person lives, along with gusts in some places around 40 mph), and he has time now to work on his snowmobile, etc.

T

Teddybrae

Ha Ha! Here in the Wonderful Land of Oz, groups were banned in public, workplaces closed, etc. So in the spirit of "... she'll be right Mate" many people treated the time off like a holiday and thousands went to the beach! Next day there were Police to prevent it happening again.

h.h.

Veteran
Hi, thanks for all the friendly well wishes I received. Thought you all deserve an update. All seems to be improving, besides the chestpain remains and a bit of cough - but certainly much better.

Here in Denmark our lockdown has been prolonged until April 13.
We don't know yet if our lockdown is enough to avoid the same scale as Italy.

Stay safe, and thanks again:huggg:

I missed your first post. Glad to glad to hear she’s getting better.

It addresses the issue I have with my own mom. Is it fair to keep her in seclusion for her few remaining years just so she may live longer?

I wish you well and many more years.

H G Griffin

The Lone Ranger fought racism in a racist sort of way. At least it was on the path.

Back to the pandemic. A little Neil Diamond via Twitter.

https://twitter.com/neildiamond/status/1241584423927074818?s=21

It's okay, Tonto got his.

iu

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
Other than that, I've become a renewed 'Gun Smoke' fan, and appreciate their message, early for its age, re. race relations, morality, social/community belonging, and many other attributes. I think they were ahead of their time in many ways.
A lot of American values about right and wrong are expoused in Gunsmoke. More should have grown up watching it.

Me, lately I feel like getting outta Dodge until this divisiveness blows over, which may be never. But to where? And who the F would buy my place and all this junk, in a depression?

Medfinder

Chemon 91
O.C. residents can get daily coronavirus text alerts; Huntington Beach closes pier

Residents can sign up by texting OCCOVID19 to 888777. The county’s Emergency Operations Center will send out daily text message updates to those who enroll.

The system, a collaboration with Everbridge Nixle, is the latest telephonic resource the county has rolled out to distribute information regarding the coronavirus — which so far has infected 125 residents.

St. Phatty

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/24/wat...s-conference-on-the-coronavirus-outbreak.html

Cuomo is impressing me.

though he is missing one thing - it's not so easy for some of the young patients.

Must Listen - Educated Young People with Covid19, report from Lake Como, Italy & Hong Kong. Also report Persistent Chest Pain continuing months after the initial infection - in young people.

Lenore Hawkins & Dr. Steve Bickel + Erik Townsend

https://www.macrovoices.com/

https://www.podbean.com/media/share..._share_ep&utm_medium=dlink&utm_source=w_share

M

moose eater

Gave too much information in original post #114, to the extent of potentially identifying another/others by actions and circumstances. Deleted original post after discussion with an involved party.

St. Phatty

Here's Irony for you ... in Holland queues formed outside Cannabis outlets. Sounds like in the U.S. it was for guns!

Speaking of guns ...

I can't figure out why Reloading suppliers are sold out.

Usually people who reload have BUCKETS of ammo.

Thousands and thousands of rounds.

In a home defense situation, you need one bullet, or 5, or 20.

Not 1000.

Yet Midsouth Shooters is more sold out than EVER.

Maybe reloaders are just planning on spending their Quarantine time making MORE bullets ?

Im'One

Out here in rural Oklahoma, my neighbors shoot...a lot. Every afternoon, practically i hear shooting from all three sides of my home. Some are obviously full auto or using bumpstocks. I dont know how to tell the difference just by listening. I typically practice shooting while everyone else is off at work.

M

moose eater

Soon-to-be-recalled Alaska Governor Mikey Dunleavy (recall argument is in the State Supreme Court tomorrow, from what I can tell) announced today that, basically, all non-essential businesses are to close by 5:00 P.M. today. Possible misunderstanding, but that's what I'm told is being ordered.

Is this time to race back to town through unplowed roads and get a case or 2 of really good beer? I've already got some 23-year-old Guatemalan rum, and a bit of tequila.

My eye exam..... will likely be postponed.

Last week the Park Service announced they're not processing any more permits for climbers to ascend Denali or Foraker. I figured that the virus would be de-nutted more or less at 23,000 ft. elevation, with thin air and cold temps, but I guess they don't want to process the paper, as that requires close proximity, and maybe they'd be required to rescue anyone who got into trouble up top, and THAT would require close quarters, as well.

Scored an 18-pack of Scott 1000 single-ply TP today during senior shopping; 1 of 2 packages there, and we were literally first through the door at that particular store.

Article in the Anchorage Daily News goes into how folks had exhumed well-preserved corpses (X years ago) from resting places in permafrost to gain insight, and what later became a vaccine (??) for the Spanish Flu.

Other articles out re. selenium and Ebola, and some effort to translate to applicability in re. to MERS and COVID19.

I guess we're potentially learning some neat stuff in all of this.

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
Cancelled public and private schools here in Virginia.
All gyms, spas and such ordered shut.
Restaurants can only be open for pick up or delivery. No groups of 10 or more people.

Grocery stores shelves have bare sections on every isle except soda.
No chicken, no hamburger, no bread, no cheese. Found some steak, with reduced price. Canned vegetables was ghost town.
Electric company says they won't cut off power due to late payment.

Insurance company says to download the app so you can pay from home. Lol

Im lucky, I still get to work. Less than 10 people on sight.

Convenience stores have X's taped in floor 6' apart for customers to stand on.