M

Merrywanna

mayan-calendar-revealed-obama-reelected-political-cartoon-366x450.jpg

Hash Zeppelin

Ski Bum Rodeo Clown
Premium user
ICMag Donor
Veteran
^I love how some people can blame all the problems of the world on one man...... even the made up ones

Last edited:

HempKat

Just A Simple Old Dirt Farmer
Veteran
Well I remember reading about the Mayan Calender 12-21-12 prediction back in the 70's except back then it was supposedly the day aliens that have visited earth in the past, would return. How it turned into a prediction of the end of the world is a mystery to me. I do believe though there will be an end of the world as we know it. Not on 12-21-12 or any particular day but at some point not too far down the road it'll happen. It'll happen because so many believe it is going to happen or should happen. They want an apocolypse because they believe we deserve one, that mankind is too flawed and has done too many wrongs to escape one. Too few believe we are capable of redemption, that we could actually turn things around and make the world a better place.

Centrum

In search of Genetics
Veteran
Well I remember reading about the Mayan Calender 12-21-12 prediction back in the 70's except back then it was supposedly the day aliens that have visited earth in the past, would return. How it turned into a prediction of the end of the world is a mystery to me. I do believe though there will be an end of the world as we know it. Not on 12-21-12 or any particular day but at some point not too far down the road it'll happen. It'll happen because so many believe it is going to happen or should happen. They want an apocolypse because they believe we deserve one, that mankind is too flawed and has done too many wrongs to escape one. Too few believe we are capable of redemption, that we could actually turn things around and make the world a better place.

I agree with the energy of belief but i think there are laws to the manifestation of it.
For instance people who believe in something and will it to happen.
We see people do this in everyday life, both positive and negative.

But there are laws too and in reality. No matter how hard you believe in the monster under your bed its just not there, they have never found big foot or shown evidence of a ghost or god or anything along those lines that people believe in on a daily basis. These beliefs defy certain laws that wont allow them to manifest.
So mass doomsday beliefs might stir up some hurricanes and melt some snow, it might do a lot of things that are already abundantly happening in the laws of nature, because we put our focus there and when you realize something you become aware of it, so we are allowing our energy to feed into coincidence. ( example: The snow has already melted dozens of times it happens every x amount of thousands of years this has been proven by scientist) Is the snow melting right now and is there a mayan doomsday prophecy around the corner? are the earth's poles about to switch ? (happens every how many years?) is our energy and awareness just a coincidence ( Energy = Oh no its the end of the world bad things are coming- coincidence = Nature running its natural course of destruction [life and death])

So i kinda believe the same thing you do Hempkat but I also believe there are limitations to the laws of manifestation. The world will never join hands and focus there belief toward one project at a time. So there will always be mixed emotions and beliefs on any one thing. The static will never paint a clear picture to any manifestation unless we all accept it as a whole. You cant will someone to die unless that person accepts that reality. You cant WILL unto others what others WILL not to believe.

Last edited:

Harry Gypsna

Dirty hippy Bastard
Veteran
It didnt need to. Its based on increments of days not on the length of an earth year.
It did need to, the stars don't just ignore leap years, the movement of the stars in the nhight sky goes on, so missing the leap years from claculation leaves a big error in the whole thing.
PS, horoscopes are wrong too, even if anyone does believe in them, the charts astrologers use are thousands of years out of date.

Arthritis_sucks

The Dude
Veteran
doesnt really matter if the end is coming....we wont see it anyway since were in a 1000 days of darkness as per Chuck Norris an his wife. Damn its dark in here.

mrcreosote

Veteran
Boy...

If I nap thru the end of the world, that gonna be one big WTF? when I wake up.

"Where's the fuckin' coffee?"

wildgrow

, The Ghost of
Veteran
It did need to, the stars don't just ignore leap years, the movement of the stars in the nhight sky goes on, so missing the leap years from claculation leaves a big error in the whole thing.
PS, horoscopes are wrong too, even if anyone does believe in them, the charts astrologers use are thousands of years out of date.

Here is a very concise reason as to why leap years are irrelevant to the long count calender.
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20120305185722AAq7E8E

Just google something like:
Leap year and the mayan calender or a similar wording.

A

Alfred

Well, the Discovery Channel doesn't seem very convinced that the end is near....

They had a series of Apocalypse 2012 TV shows and then they had a series of 'Coming soon in 2013' TV show promo adds. :)

kaotic

We're Appalachian Americans, not hillbillys!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Besides, the world can't end yet. There's still half a season of the walking dead left. I would be so pissed if I had to miss that cause some stupid world dies...

Kalbhairav

~~ ॐ नमः शिवाय ~~
Veteran

As I quoted right at the start of this thread:

The Mayan solar calendar has no leap years, and is 365 days long. However, this is not the calendar that is being used to predict the end of the world; the Mayans used a long-count calendar for extremely long periods of time. The concept of leap-years is irrelevant to this calendar system, because it's not based on solar years, simply on math.

You know how we use a base-10 counting system? (10, 100, 1000, 10,000 etc.) The Mayans used a modified base-20 counting system for keeping track of days - the second cycle went up to 18 rather than 20. So they tracked days in cycles of 20, 360, 7200, 144000, 2880000, etc.

We're coming to the end of one of the 144,000 day cycles. Today (March 6, 2012) can be expressed at 12.19.19.3.10 on the Mayan long-count calendar. This calendar will reach 12.19.19.17.19, on December 20, and then turn to 13.0.0.0.0 on December 21. This happens roughly every 400 years. No big deal.

I've been studying Vedic astrology for a number of years. Different astrological systems use difference reference points for their calculations. Greek Astrology uses the Sun as the starting point. The sun has moved by degrees which is why in Vedic astrology nearly everyone has 'their' sun in the House preceding the placement if calculated within the greek system: eg: If your Pisces in the Greek (western system) then you'll be Aquarius in the Vedic system. There aren't any charts out of date, it is a matter of degrees and point of origin in calculations..

HempKat

Just A Simple Old Dirt Farmer
Veteran
I agree with the energy of belief but i think there are laws to the manifestation of it.
For instance people who believe in something and will it to happen.
We see people do this in everyday life, both positive and negative.

But there are laws too and in reality. No matter how hard you believe in the monster under your bed its just not there, they have never found big foot or shown evidence of a ghost or god or anything along those lines that people believe in on a daily basis. These beliefs defy certain laws that wont allow them to manifest.
So mass doomsday beliefs might stir up some hurricanes and melt some snow, it might do a lot of things that are already abundantly happening in the laws of nature, because we put our focus there and when you realize something you become aware of it, so we are allowing our energy to feed into coincidence. ( example: The snow has already melted dozens of times it happens every x amount of thousands of years this has been proven by scientist) Is the snow melting right now and is there a mayan doomsday prophecy around the corner? are the earth's poles about to switch ? (happens every how many years?) is our energy and awareness just a coincidence ( Energy = Oh no its the end of the world bad things are coming- coincidence = Nature running its natural course of destruction [life and death])

So i kinda believe the same thing you do Hempkat but I also believe there are limitations to the laws of manifestation. The world will never join hands and focus there belief toward one project at a time. So there will always be mixed emotions and beliefs on any one thing. The static will never paint a clear picture to any manifestation unless we all accept it as a whole. You cant will someone to die unless that person accepts that reality. You cant WILL unto others what others WILL not to believe.

I'm not saying some doomsday scenario will be manifested simply because people will it into being because of a belief. I'm saying people have beliefs that cause them to do things because they think it's supposed to happen.

Not meaning to start up a controversial topic but the involvement in the zionist movement by American Christian's is a perfect example of what I mean. The Bible says before the second coming of Christ the Jewish people will return to Israel. Because of that America which was mostly Christian when it got involved with returning Jewish people to Israel, did so because they felt it was pre-ordained by God. Ever since then the Middle East has been a powder keg and we very well may one day see a battle of Armagedden because of it. As it stands now there are lots of people that would love to see us go to war with Iran simply because their position towards Israel is a threatening one. They've not actually done anything to Israel yet at least not directly, other then make threats.

Frozenguy

Veteran
The Mayan calendar did not account for leap year so the end actually happened a few weeks back. :party:

The long count calendar is a modified BASE 20 counting system.

It actually did not need to account for leap year. The long count calendar used a modified base 20 counting system.

The concept of leap year is completely irrelevant to and non existent within the base 20 counting system. Has nothing to do with it.

Last edited:

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
7 days / 182 hours / 10957 minutes LEFT!

Let's puff a joint! :joint:

Puff, Puff .. & PASS!!!! :tiphat: