What's new

Coughing up black? may not be so bad..

fr33th3w33d

I've quit smoking after 4 years recently, i figured i should just do it now since i keep saying ill do it eventually.. anyhow, for the past few months i've been coughing up some pretty gross stuff, something i'm sure some of you can relate to.. obviously its from smoking, but needless to say i got a little worried, so i did some research and first came upon this..

http://disc.yourwebapps.com/discussion.cgi?disc=62318;article=13310;title=ehgtd clkvy

it sounded about right.. but with the pages title being "Ravers Edge", i figured i needed a second opinion. maybe i'll trust a raver with acid, but not my respiratory health.. i'm pretty sure i can trust this guy though..

http://www.jackherer.com/chapter07.html

for those weary of off-site links
LUNG CLEANER AND EXPECTORANT

Cannabis is the best natural expectorant to clear the human lungs of smog, dust and the phlegm associated with tobacco use. Marijuana smoke effectively dilates the airways of the lungs, the bronchi, opening them to allow more oxygen into the lungs. It is also the best natural dilator of the tiny airways of the lungs, the bronchial tubes - making cannabis the best overall bronchial dilator for 80% of the population (the remaining 20% sometimes show minor negative reactions). (See section on asthma - a disease that closes these passages in spasms - UCLA Tashkin studies, 1969-97; U.S. Costa Rican, 1980-82; Jamaican studies 1969-74, 76.) Statistical evidence - showing up consistently as anomalies in matched populations - indicates that people who smoke tobacco cigarettes are usually better off and will live longer if they smoke cannabis moderately, too. (Jamaican, Costa Rican studies.) Millions of Americans have given up or avoided smoking tobacco products in favor of cannabis, which is not good news to the powerful tobacco lobby - Senator Jesse Helms and his cohorts. A turn-of-the-century grandfather clause in U.S. tobacco law allows 400 to 6,000 additional chemicals to be added. Additions since then to the average tobacco cigarette are unknown, and the public in the U.S. has no right to know what they are. Many joggers and marathon runners feel cannabis use cleans their lungs, allowing better endurance. The evidence indicates that cannabis use will probably increase these outlaw American marijuana-users' lives by about one to two years - yet they may lose their rights, property, children, state licenses, etc., just for using that safest of substances: cannabis.

if it gets any worse, its to the docs.. as of now i'll chalk it up to my lungs trying to remove years of camel lights, kamel reds and marlboro reds from themselves. just thought i'd share some info i thought was worth sharing.

Give it up for lady marijuana, ladies and gents. She helps provide more O2 to your lungs filled with other crap.

Miss ganja never ceases to amaze me....
*claps*

LiLWaynE

I Feel Good
ICMag Donor
Veteran
dude, good job discontinuing use of tobacco...

it is no easy feat..

as far as coughing up black... I WOULD FREAK OUT and never smoke a THING after seeing that...

i would also chalk it up as your lungs trying to remove years of tobacco gunk...

if i look up to anyone, its to a person who can quit smoking!

fr33th3w33d

only 4 years of smoking, im still young and its only been like 2 months so far.. ive gone for way longer only to randomly start smoking out of boredome or something stupid..

G

ya me too i've quit like 3 times before and lasted longer than 6 months every time but then i ended up starting again for some dumb reason

Pops

Resident pissy old man
Veteran
My friend, I hope that you stay off the dreaded cigs. I have been smoking for 48 years and was diagnosed with C.O.P.D. 8 years ago. I have already lost 22% of my lung capacity. You would think that a reasonably intelligent person would have quit by now, but the longer you smoke,the more addicted you become. I cannot smoke mj, as it messes my lungs up badly. I go into coughing fits till my eyes water and I cannot get a breath. Mj is far more expansive in the lungs than cig smoke. I have to use a vape or edibles. I started smoking off and on at the age of 9, and started full time at 16. It was the biggest mistake of my life.

To those of you members here who are young, I would advise,for your own sakes, that you stick with maryjane and give up the cigarettes. They will kill you eventually, while mj will help you. When we are young, we all think we are immortal. When you get as old as I am, and have had 7 heart attacks and C.O.P.D., you realize how stupid you were when you were young.

Pops

Resident pissy old man
Veteran
LilWayne, you have to realize that if you vape, you aren't getting carcinogens. Also,when you smoke cigs, there is something about nicotine that keeps old and diseased cells alive, making them more likely to succumb to cancer. MJ has something that causes these cells to go ahead and die ,as they should, and not get cancer.THC can also prevent you from getting Alsheimer's Disease. It is not a cure for it, but actually prevents the plaque formation on neural sheathing. MJ smoke does contain more tar than cig smoke, but it does not contain nicotine. So far, there has never been a case of lung ,throat or lip cancer being caused by mj smoke.

Last edited:

Pops

Resident pissy old man
Veteran
You also have to realize that medical science has determined that everything,including Yummybud threads, is a carcinogen. The burnt stuff on the bottom of your meat when you BBQ, is a carcinogen. They determined years ago that certain artificial sweeteners were carcinogens. Only problem was, you had to drink 1780 cans of diet pop a day to get cancer. Your bladder would blow up long before you got cancer.

G

I've been smoking over 30 years now and my lungers are still yellow/green and right tasty.

facelift

This is the money you could be saving if you grow
Veteran
I've been smoking for 33 years and yes, I still call them lungs. I don't get much black or green stuff up from the lungs, but occasionally I cough up a bit of blood.

G

You need to get that checked out thats not normal for smokers even.At least not me.You may have the dreaded TB.

LiLWaynE

I Feel Good
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Pops said:
LilWayne, you have to realize that if you vape, you aren't getting carcinogens. Also,when you smoke cigs, there is something about nicotine that keeps old and diseased cells alive, making them more likely to succumb to cancer. MJ has something that causes these cells to go ahead and die ,as they should, and not get cancer.THC can also prevent you from getting Alsheimer's Disease. It is not a cure for it, but actually prevents the plaque formation on neural sheathing. MJ smoke does contain more tar than cig smoke, but it does not contain nicotine. So far, there has never been a case of lung ,throat or lip cancer being caused by mj smoke.

You also have to realize that medical science has determined that everything,including Yummybud threads, is a carcinogen. The burnt stuff on the bottom of your meat when you BBQ, is a carcinogen. They determined years ago that certain artificial sweeteners were carcinogens. Only problem was, you had to drink 1780 cans of diet pop a day to get cancer. Your bladder would blow up long before you got cancer.

great information pop, you always have the answer

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Pops again.

Last edited:

b8man

Veteran
I think you've just made an argument for my next wake and bake.

Something I'd really like to know is if the tar in my lungs breaks down naturally or if it's building up.

It's not cancer I'm worried about, but the other chest problems.

Pops

Resident pissy old man
Veteran
Actually, dippers suffer fairly high rates of lip,mouth and throat cancer. We smokers suffer mostly from throat and lung cancer. Personally, I would rather suffer from extreme fatigue caused by excessive sexual activity with young women, but that doesn't seem to be one of my options.

marx2k

Veteran
The tar doesnt really break down. That's why people end up coughing up all that shit when they stop smoking. Or if you're a heavy smoker, you're always coughing it up anyway

G

Pops said:
LilWayne, you have to realize that if you vape, you aren't getting carcinogens.
Well, you get less. Not necessarily sure ALL carcinogens are gone. PAHs (polyaromatic hydrocarbons) may still be present but they aren't sure, and PAHs are carcinogenic.

http://www.maps.org/mmj/vaporizer.html
# "MAPS/NORML Study Shows Vaporizers Reduce Toxins in Marijuana Smoke"
Dale Gieringer, Ph.D.
NORML California State Coordinator ([email protected])
MAPS Bulletin, Spring 2001. Volume XI, Number 2.

Medical marijuana patients may be able to protect themselves from harmful toxins in marijuana smoke by inhaling their medicine using an electric vaporizer, according to initial results of a study by the Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies (MAPS) and California NORML. Research expenditures to date are roughly $50,000.

The study showed that it is possible to vaporize medically active tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) by heating marijuana to a temperature short of the point of combustion, thereby eliminating or substantially reducing potentially harmful smoke toxins that are normally present in marijuana smoke. Vaporizers may therefore substantially reduce what is widely regarded as the leading health concern associated with marijuana, namely respiratory harm due to smoking. In addition, many medical marijuana patients say they prefer vaporizers because they deliver smoother, less irritating medication.

MAPS and NORML sponsored the study in the hopes of helping medical marijuana patients and others reduce the health risks of smoking marijuana. A major obstacle to approval of natural cannabis by the Institute of Medicine (IOM) in its 1999 report, "Marijuana and Medicine," was that smoking is an "unhealthy" delivery method. The IOM report failed to note the possibility of vaporization. The MAPS-NORML study tested a device called the M1 Volatizer(R), an aromatherapy vaporizer developed by Alternative Delivery Systems, Inc. It consisted of an electric heating element in a chamber that radiates heat downwards over a sample of marijuana contained in a standard bowl. Output from the vaporizer was analyzed and compared to smoke produced by burning the sample.

The vaporizer produced THC at a temperature of 200° C. (392° F.) while completely eliminating three measured toxins - benzene, a known carcinogen, plus toluene and naphthalene. Temperatures of around 200° C. appear to be most efficient for vaporization. The potency of the cannabis in the study was on the order of 10% - 12%. Significant amounts of THC (around 5%-6%) begin to be released at 180° C., with slightly more (7% or 8%) at 200° C. Carbon monoxide and smoke tars were both qualitatively reduced by the vaporizer, but additional testing is needed to quantify the extent of the decrease.

The vaporizer study was undertaken as a follow-up to a previous MAPS-NORML marijuana smoking device study, which concluded that vaporizers offered the best prospects for smoke harm reduction: http://maps.org/news-letters/v06n3/06359mj1.html

MAPS and NORML are currently seeking support for further research and development of vaporizers. Research is presently underway to explore the optimal temperature and conditions for vaporization. An additional $85,000 is needed to provide accurate measurement of carbon monoxide and other toxins, such as polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons. Further studies may be needed to explore alternative device designs and the effects of different consistencies, potencies and preparation methods of the samples of marijuana.

And that's just a NORML/MAPS study, so really, who knows..Much better tho than smokin thats for sure

Latest posts

Latest posts