What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Costco Carport Greenhouse 2010

doublejj

Veteran
What is your question? Do I think you should build a greenhouse?
Hell yes, I'll help you any way I can. They're easy to build.
And easy to raise, as I've found out.

Peace
doublejj

What is your question? Do I think you should build a greenhouse?
Hell yes, I'll help you any way I can. They're easy to build.
And easy to raise, as I've found out.

Peace
doublejj
Hi there!
THANKS!
I saw in the 'guerilla greenhouse' thread when you first got yours up you said you purchased it at costco.
Was this just the frame or did you just modify it?
I was wondering what type of modifications you did?

I've considered a hoop house made with pvc piping using either 6 ml plastic or opaque fabric. The only thing I worry about is extra moisture.

I live in a 4b zone and often my more dense strains get bud rot so i want to make sure there is adequate ventilation so i like the idea that you replaced the fabric.

Half my strains will do fine without it but half won't due to time restraints.

This is my first attempt at growing in a greenhouse but I have been growing for almost 20 years now both in and out.

Thanks for any help you can give me. I'm sure excited to do this.:jump:

doublejj

Veteran
I used the frame only from a Costco Carport $189. Used the frame as-is. Covered the top with 6mil plastic from Home Depot. The walls are sunscreen mesh, air flows thru from every direction. Attached everything to the frame with zip-ties. Easy-Pesy! Used a common hole punch to put holes in the plastic, for the zip-ties.

I'm using MAXSEA fertilizer 16-16-16. I'll switch to MAXSEA bloom when the time comes.

Peace
doublejj
P.S. I've also top dressed each plant one time, with 1cup of high N Mexican bat guano, and about 6 cups of fresh worm castings.

I used the frame only from a Costco Carport $189. Used the frame as-is. Covered the top with 6mil plastic from Home Depot. The walls are sunscreen mesh, air flows thru from every direction. Attached everything to the frame with zip-ties. Easy-Pesy! Used a common hole punch to put holes in the plastic, for the zip-ties.

I'm using MAXSEA fertilizer 16-16-16. I'll switch to MAXSEA bloom when the time comes.

Peace
doublejj
P.S. I've also top dressed each plant one time, with 1cup of high N Mexican bat guano, and about 6 cups of fresh worm castings.
Ok thanks.
Is the sunscreen mesh put in place more for air circulation or does it also conceal the plants?

doublejj

Veteran
Both, & it's main purpose is moths & worms. I don't have to spray for worms, if the moths can't get to them. It works great!

Peace
doublejj

doublejj

Veteran
How to!

How to!

A little how to build one of these.

Use just the frame from a Cosco carport. Attached sunscreen mesh with zip ties. Use hole punch to punch a hole 1" in, anywhere along the edge of the plastic. It's this 1" piece of plastic that you zip-tie to the frame. The zip-tie's will poke thru the mesh anyplace you want.

These are the only tools needed to build one. Hole punch & snips.
Peace
doublejj
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Thanks again !
I love the novel idea of this as the costco frame is heavy duty. My husband's buddy has one and it would save me making a frame which might cost more.

So the 6 mil plastic is from home depot.
Is the sunscreen mesh from home depot also?
We are going in to Costco tomorrow morning to check them out. Then over to homedepot / Lowe's after that.

My biggest problem is the dampness that comes at the end of the year. I live in a 4b growing zone and besides an early frost, it also turns damp at the end of the growing season which allows bud rot to form. I've thought about the plastic to cover it but I also have concerns about air flow as it is equally important.

THANKS SO MUCH for the quick sample of how to set it up.:tiphat:
I showed it to my husband and he said it looked easy enough PLUS the great thing is it is only a temporary thing.

One more question.....
How do you get in?
Is there a door or did you leave one end open?

:thank you:

gdbud

Look on craigslist you might be able to find just the frame for one of them since the frames outlast the fabric.

doublejj

Veteran
Tent flaps!

Tent flaps!

Yes, the mesh is from Home Depot also.

The mesh overlaps in the middle, on the ends, like tent flaps.

Get the 15" zip-ties, they're easer to work with. Just snip them off. You'll use a lot, get 2 big bags. The more you use the better.

And yes, it's very temp. You can build or take appart one in a day.

These are great for moisture. The plastic will keep all rain off your buds. They never get wet! Keeps the chance of mold down.

Peace
doublejj

Attachments

• greenhouse%20008[1].jpg
    greenhouse%20008[1].jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 13
Look on craigslist you might be able to find just the frame for one of them since the frames outlast the fabric.
THANKS so much.:thank you:
This is a very good idea.
I will check it out.
Yeah I suppose some people might want to get rid of the entire thing because the material is ripped.

Thank you so MUCH!!!!

Thank you so MUCH!!!!

Yes, the mesh is from Home Depot also.

The mesh overlaps in the middle, on the ends, like tent flaps.

Get the 15" zip-ties, they're easer to work with. Just snip them off. You'll use a lot, get 2 big bags. The more you use the better.

And yes, it's very temp. You can build or take appart one in a day.

These are great for moisture. The plastic will keep all rain off your buds. They never get wet! Keeps the chance of mold down.

Peace
doublejj

PERFECT!

This is EXACTLY what I am looking for.

doublejj

Veteran
Good luck. Hit me with any questions.

If you buy the 100x20ft roll of 6mil plastic, it fits the carport frame perfectly, in 1 piece. 100ft is more than enough to cover it many times over, but the plastic only lasts 1 season anyway. If you buy the shorter roll, it's only 10ft wide, so you need 2 pieces.

You must post pictures when you get it done, it's all I ask.

Peace
doublejj

Good luck. Hit me with any questions.

If you buy the 100x20ft roll of 6mil plastic, it fits the carport frame perfectly, in 1 piece. 100ft is more than enough to cover it many times over, but the plastic only lasts 1 season anyway. If you buy the shorter roll, it's only 10ft wide, so you need 2 pieces.

You must post pictures when you get it done, it's all I ask.

Peace
doublejj
Cool thanks.
I was wondering how much sun mesh I would need as well so i can price it tomorrow.
I'm probably not going to purchase it tomorrow but will price it. When I have it all together i will definitely add some pics of it.
I only need the material to last until the end of this year. Then it will be taken down.
Next year i want to start a more permanent greenhouse but will want this temporary one until it is built.

Thanks again.:tiphat:

doublejj

Veteran
I'm looking foreward to your pic's.

one roll of mesh will do a side. Run one piece lengthwise down each side. Cut one roll in 1/2 to cover the ends. You'll need 4 rolls. I think they are about $15 a roll.

I've been growing in this greenhouse for many seasons, & I've thought about building a more perm one, however this one works sooo well, I can't justify it. I can put a new top on it for about $20 a year, the frame & mesh last forever.

Good luck, I'll be watching for your grow pic's.

Peace
doublejj

I'm looking foreward to your pic's.

one roll of mesh will do a side. Run one piece lengthwise down each side. Cut one roll in 1/2 to cover the ends. You'll need 4 rolls. I think they are about $15 a roll.

I've been growing in this greenhouse for many seasons, & I've thought about building a more perm one, however this one works sooo well, I can't justify it. I can put a new top on it for about $20 a year, the frame & mesh last forever.

Good luck, I'll be watching for your grow pic's.

Peace
doublejj
Terrific thank you.
Most appreciated as i would not have had a clue.

I 've been growing for about 20 years off and on but have never covered my plants. The last couple of weeks are too much pressure with the harsh weather coming in.
The ONLY reason i would change this to a permanent greenhouse is because here in Canada, a greenhouse, sunroom or solarium is considered an indoor grow.
A tunnel / hoop house , tent, or portable anything is not considered permanent so is considered outdoors.

Now the big thing here is the plant numbers go WAY down if you choose to grow outdoors only whether you have a temporary cover or not.

In general it is 5 plants per gram indoors
If you had a 5 gram prescription then you would be allowed 25 plants indoors.
Outside only it would be about 10 only BUT if I build a permament greenhouse then my plant count goes up substantially so it would be worth the investment otherwise I would stick with this plan forever.

doublejj

Veteran
90 day review!

90 day review!

Thank you, I hope your enjoying this, I sure am!

Time for a 60 day review.

Peace
doublejj

The plants on 5/13:

attachment.php

and on 6/9:

attachment.php

and 7/9:

attachment.php

Latest posts

Latest posts