What's new

Cooling Closet Without A.C hood?2*400HPS?

B

blueberry dank

Hey guys..got a couple questions..

1.Can I succesfully ventilate/cool a smallish closet (5*1.5*8 ft) with a 400 HPS..without a A.C hood?Maybe two 400 HPS in the closet?...

Basically,having the one or two 400 in there..with regular non-ac winged reflectors?...Ill keep the closet open for intake during lights on...and Ill have a 6in centrifugal fan SUCKING the hot air out,and INTO the roof/wall?

Will this keep temps cool,or do I NEED a.c hoods?

1.Should I position the ducting right near the bulbs themselves..or should I just keep the ducting near the top of the closet?..since hot air rises?which will be more efficient?

2.Should I vent into cieling or wall?

PLEASE HELP GUYS...:tiphat:

B

blueberry dank

Please guys?...I might not be the most liked guy in here..but this is about the great herb..not ME...thanks in advance to those who help me out..and yeah Ill rep ya for the help!

B

blueberry dank

No its cus maybe im BIT strong opiniated..but like I said,this is for the love of the herb,not me as a person.

And yeah I did try to research it..I know people do this in SMALL areas like grow cabs,tent,etc...but can I cool a CLOSET without a A.C hood?..Just sucking the hot air out into the roof/wall?And having the door cracked for intake?

Also,how should I place the exhaust ducting,near the hot bulbs..or near the top of the closet?...pelase any more help...

ps:Ill rep ya anyways friend..and I looked through those links,none of them ansered my question....

stoney917

i Am SoFaKiNg WeTod DiD
Veteran
if ya can leave the door open and keep the room cool enough it may be possible u would need cool air intake into the closet. but i wouldnt recomend putting any hps in such a confined space not being aircooled. seems very unsafe imo. if ya can get air cooled hoods it would make a huge difference since all the heat generated will be enclosed from the glass in the hood and ducting.then sucked out of the tent. maybe somone else can help ya out better all i can is that i wouldnt sleep well if my grow was set up like that without havin aircooled hoods and ventilation. so my i would say no dont setup like that.. best of luck
ps if ya do decide to setup like that please make sure to have fire extinguisher and smoke detectors around it workin at all times. just seems very risky and dangerous. again best of luck. some pics may change my opinion
peace stoney

stoney917

i Am SoFaKiNg WeTod DiD
Veteran
have a fan blowin over the tops of plants under lights and exhaust out the top as heat rises. i will be hotttest at the top

SumDumGuy

"easy growing type"
Veteran
Hey guys..got a couple questions..

1.Can I succesfully ventilate/cool a smallish closet (5*1.5*8 ft) with a 400 HPS..without a A.C hood?Maybe two 400 HPS in the closet?...

Basically,having the one or two 400 in there..with regular non-ac winged reflectors?...Ill keep the closet open for intake during lights on...and Ill have a 6in centrifugal fan SUCKING the hot air out,and INTO the roof/wall?

Will this keep temps cool,or do I NEED a.c hoods?

1.Should I position the ducting right near the bulbs themselves..or should I just keep the ducting near the top of the closet?..since hot air rises?which will be more efficient?

2.Should I vent into cieling or wall?

PLEASE HELP GUYS...:tiphat:

Hi blueberry dank. I would advise against that for safety bro. A 400W may be the smallest of the true HID sizes but it puts out massive heat in tight spaces. That wing reflector primarily, it's design will keep most of the heat down and on the plants even with an extractor up top. Specially if the wing covers most of the area over the plants. This is because you have no dedicated intake. Your option to keep the door open is currently the only dedicated option and if you forget to leave the door open one day you will surely be disappointed if not be left homeless by a fire. I may be taking it to the extreme but you need another option for intake. A dedicated intake on the bottom will help which you'll need anyway come flowering if you decide to flower in this space.

If money permits it, get a 6in air cooled hood and vent it out of the closet like you planned initially. You'll be safer and get better results in the closet. This way you can get a smaller extractor to pull air out of the general space and keep the room even cooler. You can draw some vent holes underneath for this. Try and keep as many heat producing items OUTSIDE the grow space to reduce overall heat.

In short always have more than one option. You may have an emergency and find the need to close the door quickly for concealment. You might even forget that it can quickly reach 150 degrees in that space without the proper air ventilation.

Last edited:
B

blueberry dank

Any others with experience to cooling a closet without a.c hoods?..please please please!!!aaaah!!

And yeah Ill have the A.C as cold as possible in the room...with the door cracked for intake...and exhausting the air near the top of the closet with a 6in centrifugal fan....Valueline.

SumDumGuy

"easy growing type"
Veteran
No its cus maybe im BIT strong opiniated..but like I said,this is for the love of the herb,not me as a person.

And yeah I did try to research it..I know people do this in SMALL areas like grow cabs,tent,etc...but can I cool a CLOSET without a A.C hood?..Just sucking the hot air out into the roof/wall?And having the door cracked for intake? Your intake has to be equal to your exhaust. A cracked door with a 6inc vortex fan may just end up creating negative pressure and pull the door shut all the way. Ending in dead plants or worst a fire! Negative pressure may be preferable for us in flowering for many reasons. But in your case it just may kill you and your plants bro. I recommend you rethink this setup.

Also,how should I place the exhaust ducting,near the hot bulbs..or near the top of the closet?...pelase any more help...

ps:Ill rep ya anyways friend..and I looked through those links,none of them ansered my question....

I added a note up top about leaving that door open a crack.

stoney917

i Am SoFaKiNg WeTod DiD
Veteran
best advice out there is try it without plants plug in the 400 get a thermometer and sit there with fire exting by ur side and see how hot it gets.

B

blueberry dank

SO Dum Guy..ur SO smart guy lol..thanks..I kinda see how I need a dedicated intake to keep smell in the closet..now my question is this:

1.Can I do this for atleast one grow?...will it keep the closet around 80-84f..obviosly not ideal at 75-80f..but Im ok with 80s...

2, HOW can I make a dedicated intake using panda film..how should I do this?Any ideas...Iv always wondered how people amke intakes that dont let light in...once the dark is on..

SumDumGuy

"easy growing type"
Veteran
best advice out there is try it without plants plug in the 400 get a thermometer and sit there with fire exting by ur side and see how hot it gets.

Great advice!
Get a thermometer hook up the exhaust and measure the temps with the door fully open, opened a crack and closed.

I wouldn't know what the safest base time would be for this test. I think temperature may keep rising over a period of time. Someone with more experience on temperature changes may need to suggest a safe amount of time for this test. Either way I say it is unsafe as I think 15minutes may cause the room to be exceedingly hot.

T-type

Not only are you going to battle the heat, which you're not going to be able to handle IMHO. You are going to have to deal with a light leak issue if this is your flowering room, which I'm assuming it is or you would just use MH lights right?

Anyways a 250 watt MH in a closed closet while I was gone and had someone watching over it, killed it in less than 48 hours.

SumDumGuy

"easy growing type"
Veteran
SO Dum Guy..ur SO smart guy lol..thanks..I kinda see how I need a dedicated intake to keep smell in the closet..now my question is this:

1.Can I do this for atleast one grow?...will it keep the closet around 80-84f..obviosly not ideal at 75-80f..but Im ok with 80s...

2, HOW can I make a dedicated intake using panda film..how should I do this?Any ideas...Iv always wondered how people amke intakes that dont let light in...once the dark is on..

LoL nah brother.. not even about being smart. Just about crossing my t's and dotting my i's.

As for doing this with one grow; this depends on what you expect out of the grow. It can be one shitty debilitated grow (due to heat and stress) of it can be a good producing grow you will be proud of..

As for making an intake using panda film; You can just use women pantyhose with a dark color. Wipe it down when it gets dusty. We use something similar on grow tents. You can place this over your vent holes and cut the panda film to fit nicely over the holes.

If you keep the room cold and leave that door open you can get away with it a bit but the moment you close that door with your current specs you will be asking for trouble.

Last edited:
B

blueberry dank

Can I use darkroom louvers/intakes for my closet?Theyr specifically designed for photo darkrooms to let air in,but not light...should I use this?...How?Can I screw it on the panda film without it tearing dude?

FreezerBoy

Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training
Veteran
Don't vent into walls. While not air tight, with cross beams at top, bottom, and often in between, walls are designed to prevent air exchange. Attics on the other hand are always vented, air exchange is part of their design.

SumDumGuy

"easy growing type"
Veteran
Can I use darkroom louvers/intakes for my closet?Theyr specifically designed for photo darkrooms to let air in,but not light...should I use this?...How?Can I screw it on the panda film without it tearing dude?

Darkroom louvers would be perfect for the door. Just get black louvers. You do not want to cover the opposing side with panda film just leave that area alone since it'll be low on the door.

Remember this. The restaurant industry use HID lights to heat food. a 250 at most and it does a great job. You want to place a 400 in a closet and close the door. With a 1.8ft depth dude vent - vent - vent and then vent some more. I tried this myself and I'd like for you to think safety first.

Good info by FreezerBoy on venting and it makes total sense..

B

blueberry dank

Thanks very much!! 2 last questions..since I didnt wanna start a new thread ...

1.Can I split the ducting two ways...have one fan,pulling through a hood or TWO...AND exhauting the hot air out using a yduct spliter?

Basically SPLIT the 6 in to two.....one ducting strictly for my hoods,and the other duct to exhausdt hot air.?

Will this sill create negative pressure?