What's new

construction stories. the good and the bad

CoCoSativas

Wow.I'm impressed dude.but if true be careful.he might brag to his crackhead friends and try to steal your tools.I've seen it happen too many times.hehe I've used the cat claw to pull out nails out of my boot too.lol

Ive used cats paw to take nails out of my foot, a metal siding nail i stepped on. It bled bad.

Im not worried about the kid stealing. The tools come to my shop and its secured, insured and all tools inventoried regularly. Besides everyone explained to him im not the guy to fuck with. His dad told him i would nail his hand to the concrete with a hilti powder charge. Steal from me id consider it, briefly before choosing my hands over a weapon. I dont roll like that.

Hes doing pretty good today. Its raining and he hasnt complained. Hes jackhammering pieces of cement we removed and going to repour soon. I showed him that, how to work the sds rotary hammer because i had waste concrete to show him on. Also shot a few of those powder charge nails into the slabs. Noise scared him but he liked it after he shot a few. I did 5 in a perfectly strait line. He asked how i did it. Practice buddy ive shot more nails than you could imagine. So many cleats, staples, framing nails, god, it makes my head hurt trying to guess how many.

Also yes it was true about the crack. He admitted he knew what it was and they shouldnt be doing that shit. He said he knew better but weed dosent get him high. School kid weed, scary. Mines curing now so he will get to see what high means soon...

Also isint it funny every region has a name for that nail puller. Western canada, cats paw, east its crows foot. My father in law, he dosent even know what to call it. He asks for the mini crow bar... Ok dude, but he also thinks a rafter hook on a framing nailer is a belt hook. Ok buddy your bostich framing spiker has bump fire. He dosent know what that means so im waiting to see it happen. He also never oils it so it double fires almost every time. Haha! That will be a laugh i hope i see it happen. I dont work with him enough tho, just when he harrasses me and says it takes 3 of his guys to match my work. Truth is none of his guys produce same quality as me, sooo i dont agree about the 3 guys thing. Maybe quantity tho...

Well back to work. I decided to blow a joint and run to home depot. Made one of the guys drive so i could check here

CoCoSativas

interesting stories... I did all kinds of construction as a kid from framing ,concrete,cabinets,roofing ect ect ect....no serious accidents.. but I did once modify a nail gun and some dumbass got a nail in their hand......Safety first unless its fun then the hell with it....yeehaw

Lol ive seen people pin back safeties for guns. Not on my tools thats stupid. I dont judge what others do with theirs but i dont allow tools like that around.

I dont use a guard on a table saw but thats it. Takes away the versatility of that saw, and honestly ive never seen anyone use a table with a guard on it.

I have seen those dealios that suck the blade in before cutting you. Thought about getting that type of setup, but who knows when ill have time to find it. I dont even know what its called, if its a whole saw or just a kit... I should find out.

So mr trout, no more construction these days for you?

shithawk420

Veteran
YES!! I love hearing different names for tools! Cats claw,nail paw,etc.hehe chicken ladder.I've been calling my dad to find out the real name of chicken ladder but he hasn't called back yet.I guess the real name is chicken ladder? I don't know yet.

shithawk420

Veteran
Also a nice story that I can remember.I was buying meriatic acid .one gallon.I was in home depot.I'm buying it,and this beautiful cashier rings me up and asks for my id.and I'm like don't worry I'm not killing anybody.and she says "I just gotta make your not Walter White".and I sighn my name on their clipboard and were talking about breaking bad for a few minutes. if I wasn't in a hurry I would have asked her out.cuase everybody knows hot chicks work at Home Depot!!its true

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
I do occasional construction nowadays...prob work all day Friday from 7 am till heat makes me want a cold beer....somewhere around 3 generally.....yeehaw

CoCoSativas

YES!! I love hearing different names for tools! Cats claw,nail paw,etc.hehe chicken ladder.I've been calling my dad to find out the real name of chicken ladder but he hasn't called back yet.I guess the real name is chicken ladder? I don't know yet.

Thats the real name of it man. Theres no real name for a chicken ladder, its called that because its not for the faint of heart. Its something some monkey came up with because they thought it was funny and had no concern for their safety. Its a improvisation anyway, hooking two ladders together

CoCoSativas

Removed some graffiti off of a building that happened at the end of the day. We went around the building then came back and it was fresh. I called the management company and told them id deal with it for cheap because its fresh, 25% off graffiti removal. It took one spray off the goofy to take it off. Caution tho, this shit causes auditory hallucinations. Its bad shit... Made 300 bucks for a quick spray...

This was a shopping bag of smoke butts. On someones deck. Legitimately just full of smoke butts nothing else. It was pretty nasty... I laughed my ass off. It matched the chicken fish pic which ill post later... Tho the chicken fish was a internet pic, the smoke bag i found and took the picture myself. It was rough.

Pretty flower in someones yard...

That was the end of the fence i removed. Surprise why they wanted it gone... I cant believe that was left like that for a year and a half...

My super smokers had a father son pow wow today in their truck for about 45 minutes, just smoking. Fuck me now i have two father son combos working for me. Great... Its cool and stupid at the same time.

CoCoSativas

Cool thread.

Thanks man. I live for my work, its what i was meant to do. I love talking about construction, hearing others stories.

I posted at another forum back in 2013. I never thought about making this kind of thread. I should have, its pretty neat.

Lol of course growers would have some stories. Most of us are pretty handy, need to be in this world...

Dready_jake

I've actually done a bit of construction. Concrete framing roofing.
One time I was doing a footing for a like 200x150 foot farm building. I was in the whole pushing rebar jntk the concrete when it slipped off the rebar and I almost han-solo myself in the concrete, throwing my hands up against the wall of the hole to barely stop myself from falling into the concrete.

One of the older guys couldn't stop laughing at my almost face plant.

A guy who did some work for a family member. Was doing framing. He put the frame for the new wall ON TOP OF THE OLD NASTY CARPET! He also didn't readjust the floor so it was flat and level. It was an old building so that floor was doing the wave and he tried to ignore it.

CoCoSativas

I've actually done a bit of construction. Concrete framing roofing.
One time I was doing a footing for a like 200x150 foot farm building. I was in the whole pushing rebar jntk the concrete when it slipped off the rebar and I almost han-solo myself in the concrete, throwing my hands up against the wall of the hole to barely stop myself from falling into the concrete.

One of the older guys couldn't stop laughing at my almost face plant.

A guy who did some work for a family member. Was doing framing. He put the frame for the new wall ON TOP OF THE OLD NASTY CARPET! He also didn't readjust the floor so it was flat and level. It was an old building so that floor was doing the wave and he tried to ignore it.

Ahahahaha thats messed up frames over the old carpet. Thats insane! What a hack. Dosent give a good god damn. I wouldnt pay someone to do shit like that id make them remove the wall, and the whole rooms carpet at their cost for a stunt like that.

Thats one of the saddest framing attempts ive ever heard of.

Thanks for popping in dj. Thats funny your experience with the concrete. Dont worry everyones done shit like that or worse. I almost cut my left index off with a tablesaw, ive seen someone hardnail their foot to the floor (jerry is a fucking idiot). Its even funnier when the old guys do it, they try to play it off like it never happened. I heard a story where a guy shot himself with a powder charge hilti. Almost falling into a hole is not that bad compared to those! Ive fallen into several myself, once a open manhole no one cared to mark. I was carrying shit and talking to my guys. I was lucky it was flooded and i fell into water not down to my death or a brocken leg or back!

Ph-patrol

Veteran
Ok I was working at a condo building on a golf course during the construction phase and there was this plumber Tom that was working on this 4" PVC drain line.
There were other guy cleaning and gluing on the same line too.
This basement was 10' tall and there was water in the basement .It kinda sucked because of extension cords getting wet and shocking every one.

Well Im walking by and he is trying to glue up this 4" Y fitting off this 8ft ladder and he could not tell if it had made in all the way so I reached for one of those clipon drop lights so he could look inside the fitting to see.
I was to late.
He pulled a lighter out and lit it so he could see. So I see 40ft of pvc illuminate and blow a massive flame out of the fitting into his head and face.
Knocking him of the ladder into the water on the basement floor.

Well I was standing there in fucking shock at what just happened with the light still in my hand.

So we all go outside to eat and see Toms face. He had NO HAIR.
He looked like a deranged mental patent. Eyebrows Gone,Mustache gone,forehead hair gone. He smelled of one thing Burnt Hair.

Well Tom was a real character and he was not seriously harmed,I do not know how???
The water on the floor saved him.
That was my second day working construction:biggrin:

Dready_jake

Ahahahaha thats messed up frames over the old carpet. Thats insane! What a hack. Dosent give a good god damn. I wouldnt pay someone to do shit like that id make them remove the wall, and the whole rooms carpet at their cost for a stunt like that.

Thats one of the saddest framing attempts ive ever heard of.

Thanks for popping in dj. Thats funny your experience with the concrete. Dont worry everyones done shit like that or worse. I almost cut my left index off with a tablesaw, ive seen someone hardnail their foot to the floor (jerry is a fucking idiot). Its even funnier when the old guys do it, they try to play it off like it never happened. I heard a story where a guy shot himself with a powder charge hilti. Almost falling into a hole is not that bad compared to those! Ive fallen into several myself, once a open manhole no one cared to mark. I was carrying shit and talking to my guys. I was lucky it was flooded and i fell into water not down to my death or a brocken leg or back!

Oh no we were in the hole pouring the footing for the foundation. I wouldn't have fallen far but it woulda been into about 8 inches of fresh concrete... Face first lol

S

sourpuss

Seen an electrician get zapped by commercial voltage... not sure how much but it was in a shopping mall so im sure the place was buzzin... I was a little kid just so u know... guy walked out the elcrical room mumblin... hair was smokin... clothes all ripped up like a tiger attacked him... seriously fucked up...

whadeezlrg

Just Say Grow
Veteran
Oh no we were in the hole pouring the footing for the foundation. I wouldn't have fallen far but it woulda been into about 8 inches of fresh concrete... Face first lol

that reminds me of when I was 18, and working for a fiberglass bathtub company...I was "stocking" tubs at that time meaning I had to carry them from out truck to the bathroom that they were to be installed in...often times we were hanging out of 2nd-3rd floor windows of houses in stick phase and pull the showers/tubs up and into the windows with some rope....

anyways, one time I was on an apartment complex job in san diego...was walking inside of an upside down shower(how we carried them, with elbows locked...120lbs of fiberglass overhead and no way of seeing more than 1ft in front of you) I'm walking along the sidewalk with this tub over my head, and then I take a step and just SINK, my leg was buried almost to the knee and I was holding the tub up and out of the concrete...pulled myself out and set the tub down, stepped out from under the tub to see a PISSED off concrete finishing crew...I told em my bad and then everyone started laughing at me LOL

maybe I shouldn't have hot boxed the porta pot before I got started, but that was all in a days work anyways?!?! lol I was just a youngster, and little fuck ups are part of the gig lol

I did well enough at that job that I was promoted pretty quickly to doing field repairs and homeowner work orders after they took the keys...they needed someone that could speak English I suppose hahaha

that company got busted for being a coyote during the so cal construction boom...it was really fucked up because they were basically enslaving these latino immigrants for bringing them over, packing em 20 deep into shitty little apartments etc, and paying em dogshit...working for that company was a quick eye opener, being freshly 18 years old, jst working side jobs painting and working in restaurants up until that point

whadeezlrg

Just Say Grow
Veteran
^^^they sure can! I had one shard of fiberglass go about 2" into my left leg, directly to the left of my shin! pulled it out wrapped it up with some duct tape and kept goin lol the scar is still there, over 10 years later! lol I was going up a staircase and lost it...OOPS! lol I'm 6'1", and was like 220lbs at the time...I could bench 315...there were little paisas that were like 5'7" 165 that were throwing those tubs around easier than me...that's exactly when I realized that "man strength" was straight up legit! lol now that I'm a little older and can't throw up shit on a bench I really have to ride to coattails of "man strength" LOL

I smoked cigarettes like a chimney on outside jobs, but I was always working with a smoke in my mouth(yuck) so the only delay was pulling a smoke outta the pack and firing it up...I smoked for 12-13 years, and put em down on oct 1st of last year...just for a shameless plug! lol I'm really happy that I stopped smoking though...me and my chick actually.