What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Congo

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
@Luiggi Yours do seem late, I grew 3 congo at 37N that began flowering mid August, and they look to be done by mid October. Hope the weather looks good for you!

Photos of my girls from a few days ago, I'm looking to chop this weekend.

View attachment 18902068

View attachment 18902069

View attachment 18902072

View attachment 18902073

View attachment 18902074

View attachment 18902075

View attachment 18902079

Correct @early_hominid the flowering times stated in our strain descriptions are for 37ºN latitude where you are growing, and under proper, non stressful conditions, Congo females usually finish first hald of Oct like yours, depending also on phenotype and other growing conditions, but rarely longer than that.
So glad you managed to harvest green and purple phenotypes to have a broader experience of the genotype expressions of the strain :) Do you find now more differences in the terpene profile between plants and phenotypes ?

Congrats on your beautiful harvest, well done! :smoke:

Luiggi

@early_hominid , you are right. It seems mine are a bit late, probably due to the latitude (42N) I am growing at. Anyway I am planning to visit the guerrilla site tomorrow so to check the development of two plants I have growing in there. It is 3 months I haven't visited the site so hope all it went right and both plants are ok. Both plants should get ready about early to mid november based on clones behaviour and flowering starting dates.

@dubi , I think you are right. As said it might have to do with the latitude but as you did point right I am not measuring neither PH nor electro conductivity so plants might have got ill because of that. All plants along the different locations got fed by topdressing with solid bio fertilizers so not sure how they do affect watering ph. By the time I was reading your message I realized all plants I brought to this location started to get sick after a couple of weeks or so. I was thinking it was because of that fungus which (I am not yet sure which one it is) being kept in the site walls or whatever but after reading your message I do think water takes its own part at this place. However I have always been thinking about the soil provoking a tampon effect which significantly reduced this effect. I am sure I will take then into an account for the next outdoor grow at this site.

Clonning was done under my neighbours' tomato clonning technique. Cutted a branch, three days in a glass covering the half of the branch in water and 10 to 15 days planted in soil (till the part which got wet in the glass) in a shadow place with frequent waterings every 3 to 4 days. Then, taken to the full sun. It is not the most academic way, but this works with tomatoes. Congo and cheese berry did success with this technique, however, tried up to 4 different times with panama and it wasn't successful. It got always sympthoms of overwatering no matter if it got watered only at the moment of the transplant as I did in last chance. A single trial with Jack la Mote did not succeed too.

I have removed all the brown leaves in the plant so lets see the way it evolves. I am planning to hairdress it along the brown spots in the leaves. Do you have any clue which type of fungus may it be? It doesn't seem to be oidium nor fusarium nor botrytis but I am not sure if this is a reason to drop the plants or if it will be possible to smoke the not damaged parts afterwards.

Finally I did some early sampling as buds are already getting covered with trichomes.

IMG_20231014_104252.jpg
IMG_20231014_104152.jpg
IMG_20231014_104407.jpg
IMG_20231014_104422.jpg
IMG_20231014_104449.jpg
IMG_20231014_104326.jpg
IMG_20231014_104320.jpg
IMG_20231014_104719.jpg

Regards,

Luiggi

early_hominid

Correct @early_hominid the flowering times stated in our strain descriptions are for 37ºN latitude where you are growing, and under proper, non stressful conditions, Congo females usually finish first hald of Oct like yours, depending also on phenotype and other growing conditions, but rarely longer than that.
So glad you managed to harvest green and purple phenotypes to have a broader experience of the genotype expressions of the strain :) Do you find now more differences in the terpene profile between plants and phenotypes ?

Congrats on your beautiful harvest, well done! :smoke:
Thanks dubi, I really enjoyed getting to know this variety, they all had their own personalities.

Purple congo, #1, was the only one with the PCK leaf, and the aroma was flowers and sweet berries

#2 had the flower structure of #1, and was less floral with a strong syrupy cooked berry aroma, which some friends think is straight grape

#3 grew gigantic and was floral, musky, and woody (cedar chips? not sure). It smelled and flowered more like the bangi haze than congo #1 and #2. It had the most complex, perfumy aroma and was my favorite

only bad pics, unfortunately, I had to harvest in a rain storm

IMG_6410.jpeg

IMG_6416.jpeg

#3 tops for cobbing

IMG_6439.jpeg

IMG_6437.jpeg

norahm

I have 2 Congo fems in flower right now. They are heavily scrogged as they are growing next to 100% Afghani plants (Khalifa Genitics Afghan Lemon).

Strong vigor on these! Unfortunately 1 of the 3 seeds I planted turned out male, but overall very happy with them.

The plant on the left is slightly faster than the other. Day 30 since flip to 12/12.

Attachments

• congos.jpg
    congos.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 109

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Looking good there @flaw.less.finish Great resins!
How many weeks are they into flowering, 5-6 ? How is the terpene profile sweet-floral-earthy-berry ?

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Congo showing nice purple colors, top tier plant and has me interested in growing more. And haven't even smoked it yet. Midway flowering . Very
frosty also, have to look if I can grab a better photo some day..
View attachment 18943960
Your Congo was really beautiful and well developed by mid-flowering @rlsmooth :yes:
Glad you have been excited about her! How did she finish, and what is her terpene profile like?

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
I have 2 Congo fems in flower right now. They are heavily scrogged as they are growing next to 100% Afghani plants (Khalifa Genitics Afghan Lemon).

Strong vigor on these! Unfortunately 1 of the 3 seeds I planted turned out male, but overall very happy with them.

The plant on the left is slightly faster than the other. Day 30 since flip to 12/12.

Thanks for chime in with your Congos @norahm it's weird you found a male from your Congo fem seeds. I'm very sorry for that. Please pm with the details of your purchase and i will offer you a replacement. How did the 2 females finish ?

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Thanks dubi, I really enjoyed getting to know this variety, they all had their own personalities.

Purple congo, #1, was the only one with the PCK leaf, and the aroma was flowers and sweet berries

#2 had the flower structure of #1, and was less floral with a strong syrupy cooked berry aroma, which some friends think is straight grape

#3 grew gigantic and was floral, musky, and woody (cedar chips? not sure). It smelled and flowered more like the bangi haze than congo #1 and #2. It had the most complex, perfumy aroma and was my favorite

only bad pics, unfortunately, I had to harvest in a rain storm

View attachment 18906822

View attachment 18906823

#3 tops for cobbing

View attachment 18906824

View attachment 18906825

Thanks a lot for the descriptions of the terpene profile of each plant @early_hominid sound delicious :yummy: How do you feel about each one after 3 months of curing ?

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
@early_hominid , you are right. It seems mine are a bit late, probably due to the latitude (42N) I am growing at. Anyway I am planning to visit the guerrilla site tomorrow so to check the development of two plants I have growing in there. It is 3 months I haven't visited the site so hope all it went right and both plants are ok. Both plants should get ready about early to mid november based on clones behaviour and flowering starting dates.

@dubi , I think you are right. As said it might have to do with the latitude but as you did point right I am not measuring neither PH nor electro conductivity so plants might have got ill because of that. All plants along the different locations got fed by topdressing with solid bio fertilizers so not sure how they do affect watering ph. By the time I was reading your message I realized all plants I brought to this location started to get sick after a couple of weeks or so. I was thinking it was because of that fungus which (I am not yet sure which one it is) being kept in the site walls or whatever but after reading your message I do think water takes its own part at this place. However I have always been thinking about the soil provoking a tampon effect which significantly reduced this effect. I am sure I will take then into an account for the next outdoor grow at this site.

Clonning was done under my neighbours' tomato clonning technique. Cutted a branch, three days in a glass covering the half of the branch in water and 10 to 15 days planted in soil (till the part which got wet in the glass) in a shadow place with frequent waterings every 3 to 4 days. Then, taken to the full sun. It is not the most academic way, but this works with tomatoes. Congo and cheese berry did success with this technique, however, tried up to 4 different times with panama and it wasn't successful. It got always sympthoms of overwatering no matter if it got watered only at the moment of the transplant as I did in last chance. A single trial with Jack la Mote did not succeed too.

I have removed all the brown leaves in the plant so lets see the way it evolves. I am planning to hairdress it along the brown spots in the leaves. Do you have any clue which type of fungus may it be? It doesn't seem to be oidium nor fusarium nor botrytis but I am not sure if this is a reason to drop the plants or if it will be possible to smoke the not damaged parts afterwards.

Finally I did some early sampling as buds are already getting covered with trichomes.

View attachment 18903913 View attachment 18903914 View attachment 18903908 View attachment 18903909 View attachment 18903910 View attachment 18903911 View attachment 18903912 View attachment 18903907
Regards,

Luiggi

Hi @Luiggi congrats also on your harvest and sorry all for my delay in the replies. Plants showed macronutrients deficiencies and ph imbalance (yellow leaves with brownish spots), and powder mildew in the leaves in very early stage. These symptoms are typical of outdoor growing in pots on a hot Spanish terrace without controlling pH and EC.

Plants still produced nice resinous colas showing high Congolese influence, so hopefully the outcome is of your taste!

rlsmooth

Looking good there @flaw.less.finish Great resins!
How many weeks are they into flowering, 5-6 ? How is the terpene profile sweet-floral-earthy-berry ?
Hi :)

Congo is actually still going, producing fox tail shape top colas. It's the least resinouss plant of this run (running zam x kc and pan x pck). Aromas are rather subtle but it gives me notes of forest/ berries and hash. Managed to break one top couple weeks ago, as the stems are very slim. Dried it and smoked half a joint, and I liked the effect. Not too racy, kinda gentle pick me up and no heavy feeling. Felt like some good nepal hash, went skii-ing and later it turned to little bit sedating calmness. Looking forward the end product!

E. Below you can see congo tops pushing foxtails. On the left bangi haze spear tops. Bangi was a weird one, I have rather N heavy soil and plants usually stay very green. Bangi started yellowing early, been pushing advanced nutrients iguana juice and trying to keep it alive. Buds have been swelling so , looking forward to it also. Zam x kc on the right is crazy, several 0,5 liter can sized top buds.
IMG_20240208_134536.jpg

Last edited:

norahm

Thanks for chime in with your Congos @norahm it's weird you found a male from your Congo fem seeds. I'm very sorry for that. Please pm with the details of your purchase and i will offer you a replacement. How did the 2 females finish ?
No worries, it could also be related to stress, it has been only the second grow in that setup and my first one with a sativa heavy hybrid. No need for a replacement, the bonus seeds and extra seeds inside each of my ordered seeds already made up for it, thanks anyways.

The 2 females are actually still in flower, I will probably cut them at the end of this week. I think they could already be ready, but the other plants I have in the tent could use some more days and since the trichomes are still 50/50 clear/milky, so I guess a few more days couldn't hurt for the Congos as well.

Both Congos have fruity aromas which become very loud when touching the flowers. One has more spice undertones and the other one some more lemon, but I would say their main terp profile seems quite similar. Really looking forward to harvesting my first Ace Seeds grow!

The attached pictures were taken today, 74 days since flip to 12/12.

Attachments

• c1_c3.jpg
    c1_c3.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 135
  • c1_c3_2.jpg
    c1_c3_2.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 141
  • c_1.jpg
    c_1.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 133
  • c_3.jpg
    c_3.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 129

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Hi :)

Congo is actually still going, producing fox tail shape top colas. It's the least resinouss plant of this run (running zam x kc and pan x pck). Aromas are rather subtle but it gives me notes of forest/ berries and hash. Managed to break one top couple weeks ago, as the stems are very slim. Dried it and smoked half a joint, and I liked the effect. Not too racy, kinda gentle pick me up and no heavy feeling. Felt like some good nepal hash, went skii-ing and later it turned to little bit sedating calmness. Looking forward the end product!

E. Below you can see congo tops pushing foxtails. On the left bangi haze spear tops. Bangi was a weird one, I have rather N heavy soil and plants usually stay very green. Bangi started yellowing early, been pushing advanced nutrients iguana juice and trying to keep it alive. Buds have been swelling so , looking forward to it also. Zam x kc on the right is crazy, several 0,5 liter can sized top buds.
View attachment 18957104

Thanks for the update nearing their end, @rlsmooth! What a sight to be able to admire the gorgeous colas from the three different strains. You did a very good job in this grow despite some yellowing in Bangi Haze; the flowers are going to be top-notch! Although your Congo female shows the PCK colors, her leaf traits and flower structure are very sativa-dominant. I'm sure she will be a lovely smoke after 2-3 months of curing. 👍

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
No worries, it could also be related to stress, it has been only the second grow in that setup and my first one with a sativa heavy hybrid. No need for a replacement, the bonus seeds and extra seeds inside each of my ordered seeds already made up for it, thanks anyways.

The 2 females are actually still in flower, I will probably cut them at the end of this week. I think they could already be ready, but the other plants I have in the tent could use some more days and since the trichomes are still 50/50 clear/milky, so I guess a few more days couldn't hurt for the Congos as well.

Both Congos have fruity aromas which become very loud when touching the flowers. One has more spice undertones and the other one some more lemon, but I would say their main terp profile seems quite similar. Really looking forward to harvesting my first Ace Seeds grow!

The attached pictures were taken today, 74 days since flip to 12/12.

Congrats also on your upcoming harvest, @norahm! :) Beautiful, colorful, resinous, and very well-developed flowers, showcasing the best from both worlds in this F1. You can be proud of your first sativa-dominant run! 💪 Enjoy!

rlsmooth

Thanks for the update nearing their end, @rlsmooth! What a sight to be able to admire the gorgeous colas from the three different strains. You did a very good job in this grow despite some yellowing in Bangi Haze; the flowers are going to be top-notch! Although your Congo female shows the PCK colors, her leaf traits and flower structure are very sativa-dominant. I'm sure she will be a lovely smoke after 2-3 months of curing. 👍
Ty Dubi

I'm really looking forward to both Bangi and Congo. I had some issues this run- had a couple off years from growing . Bit too crowded tent, stressed plants. But I think there will be some quality weed from all the strains. Next time I'll grow , it's time to swap to smaller led setup , so that my mrs. won't get too angry 😅

flaw.less.finish

@dubi both congo and pangi finished up sooner than expected but I had two dozen other phenos of various strains. Fed a diet of floraflex and 3 week flush dropping Temps to the low 60s and dialing back the lights incrementally to preserve terps and give a natural finish.