What's new

Compact SOG with CFL's

Thundurkel

Just Call me Urkle!!
Veteran
Hey Iceman...

Check out this thread I stumbled on the other day. Its from a different pot website, but it has great info for buying the right size fan for your cabinet size.

You need to be aware of the standard of exchanging the air in your cab 5x per minute....so if you got a 6 cubic foot area cab, you need to have at least a fan rated at 30 cfm.

The link:

http://www.greenpassion.org/f45/what-size-vent-fan-do-i-need-intake-area-size-3704/

Thanks Hal! That's good to know! That means I don't need to get new fans I just need to mount them and cut holes for exhaust and intake cuz I have 2 4" Axial fans that are 110cfm and the flower cab is 2.4 sq ft so I will have perfect air flow asap! :joint::joint: :woohoo: :joint::joint:

H

Hal

My pleasure Thunder...

I noticed that you gave the area of your cab as 2.4 square feet. You probably already understand this, but, you need to figure your cubic feet for the cab when you pick out the fan's size.

Just pointing this out in case it slipped by you after a massive bong hit or sumpin. :)

Iceman420

thanks for the info Hal, pretty sure got the temps stabalized now and my perpetual box is finally up and going. Very excite!

zigzagzarf

but what if you ran a really good soil that only needs water all the way through flowering?? would that work? cuz I would love that!

i managed that with just miracle grow soil on my last grow....probably lost some yield but nothing but water ever went into those plants...

yeah I'm going to be running Moonshine Mix in a very similar setup, threads in the micro section somewhere, and I hope to not have to use much more than POM & Tiger Bloom.

I've got a buddy who puts out halfway decent sized buds with Miracle Gro Potting Mix + water, but you can taste it in the buds unfortunately, somethin' weird about their dirt. Like it never fully flushes or something.

Geezus

Has anyone tried a similar method but using small HPS lamps? I'm a little worried about using 10 different lights with ballasts connected, but am excited about the ability to put a ballast 3' away in a separately cooled compartment.

Then again, because DIY cool tubes are so labor-intensive and dependent on being able to find out-of-production items, I've revised my plan on having 4x 42w CFLs and a 70 watt HPS in one light box, then having two 70w HPSes further down the cabinet, each with their own cool tube. This allows me to vent through DIY carbon filters and reuse that air to cool the light box and maybe ballasts as well.

We'll see how it works once in operation; till then, anyone have feedback?

J

Jebus11

I must say... HOLY SHIT!

This thread is reaching a huge milestone.

Views: 226,809

Nearly a quarter million views... thats amazing, and probably nearly the MOST for any 1 grow diary... Congratz man. You are simply amazing.

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
perpetual and ebb and flow (flood and drain) don't mix as you have only one resevior and can't feed different plants different levels of nutrients. make sense?

If you use the Lucas Formula you can.

I've harvested at all different res 'nute strengths' and with the Lucas formula, the buds are sweet without a flush. Burn to a nice clean white ash (even when chopped the day after a res change).

I use the FloraNova series and would love to set up a perpetual E&F.

Frid

Hey everybody! I just dropped by to high! I've been kind of busy lately.

I am glad your still around Dr Green Jeans! Guess you've ducked those ping pong balls again! (Thats a Capt. Kangaroo joke for you young'uns ..LOL).

I applied some of your knowledge to my last grow and I got much better results. I got some killer red bud mixed with some lemon tasting satavia that looks like white widow. I didn't get the huge buds that you have but they were bigger and by far chunkier than before! I have to get some more natural ingredients and use a soil that drains a little better that last time.

The shizzle smoked so well you soar and float for a good while. Its nice, kind of has that Acapulco Gold kind of buzz that would sparkle your brain until it creeped up and wonked you into couch land. Ah.. the good ol days of my youth.

Anyway just dropped by to let you know and say thanks!!

Thundurkel

Just Call me Urkle!!
Veteran
Hey Randude101 I'm DrBuds offspring lol but seriously I'm one of the people around here that made the haters believe while he was putting his 48hr journal together so feel free to check out my threads. I believe the good Doc is still recovering from heart surgery so he's not too active in his threads but he is in chat from time to time. As for the 1.25" from the lights that's when the finish they are that close. He usually starts them out 2-3" from the lights for the first 7-10 days with them sitting on 4" pots and then he lets them finish stretching for the rest of the grow without the booster of course... I like you want to market something also I'd like to make grow cabs that you just add cfls and plants and grow!! I'd have bare bones models with just the cab and sockets mounted, then have models that are fully loaded with bulbs, pots, grow medium ect

G

guest 77721

Great thread Dr. Bud!!!

I wish you'd show us a bit more about revegging and keeping your mothers. I've always started a plant from seed flowered and revegged it for a second pass after trimming back the roots.

Why do you only get 3 rounds out of a plant? Could you get more if you trimmed the rootball back.? Do they become mothers eventually or are just too bound up with dead roots by then?

one Q

Quality
Veteran
red, he has an entire thread about his mother keeping techniques... Do a search on threads started by the DR and it'll come up quick.

TexMex McDirt

My first post here at ICMag and it had to be on your thread Dr Bud. Just wanted to say that you and your method were my main inspiration to start a micro grow to sustain my own personal needs. After reading all your threads and many others (too many to count) I am just days away from getting some beans germin'. Thanks for the knowledge, peace, smoke well.

F

feral

I'm doing 12/12 myself on some Mandala #1 and this is a great system. No fuss or mess, very simple method to keep yourself in fresh quality bud. At the moment I'm running 7500 lumens per sqaure foot and like the results.

Latest posts

Latest posts