What's new

Compact SOG with CFL's

Microgrow 420

DrBudGreengenes said:
Very intresting Idea....How are you enclosing the bottom?
49 per sq ft that would be alot o plants
:joint:
I just love entertaining the idea of "why not" and to experiment with different cabs. Perhaps the tripling of colas could yield more bud in a more confined space? :D

Something like this could work pretty decently with either small clay pebbles in an ebb and flow, or just punch out and tack screen door mesh on the bottom and use soil.

Also was wondering what you think about this setup. I would be using the following fans which are large diameter low RPM yet pull at least 100CFM in the entire cab running 4 of them together. Just put them on a single Cooler Master fan speed controller. This way on top of already being 19dBA at 800RPM, I could take it even lower and make the entire thing one silent little cab. :rasta:

http://www.xoxide.com/xoxide-250mm-case-fan.html

Man oh man do I just love overengineering my cabinets with cheap, ghetto, and DIY designs. :)

Last edited:

hdn155

Dr. bud,
Do you think 4-47 watt warm white would be enough for my 2x2x2 flowering box? That's all i have in there now. I can easily add more if needed just looking to use as little energy i can to achieve the goal. Thanks for the help.

SirStickyBuds: It could if severe, and I do mean downright draconian pruning technique was followed. Disciplining those colas to the lowest amount of side growth possible at all PLUS a lot of supplemental lighting on the bottom layer might do it but it's not an easy ask.

Still. I'd love to give that a go. Especially in a F&D shallow tub system running a range of nutes. I need someone to point me in the direction of a thread to someone doing perpetual flood and drain styled SOG in any size range. Any help?

As for closing the ABS pipes, why not use screens in the bottom for drainage and then use plumbers caps drilled and screwed in for easy removal and cleaning? Shit, once I get my lab/workspace setup, I'd love to do this idea as a mockup to show it could be done. Copper peroxide coatings in this style would give root binding a new name and style but the masses themselves would be worth the effort. And with a little extra effort in the fabrication phase, you could make the system totally modular and easy to maintain.

Again, sorry to threadjack but ideas come when you're smoking good bud. Now to grow it... ;D

SuperHemp

This thread is so awesome it needs a bump. Badly.

My flowering cab is exactly the same size as yours (used to be) except it's a little bit taller, but i have a shelf in there for drying bud so in reality it's exactly the same. I think I'm gonna try this if i can just get a mom and clone area going.

Thundurkel

Just Call me Urkle!!
Veteran
Heres what I learned from DrBud and I've only been at it for 6 months :muahaha:

if you follow it just how he does and you dial in your strain you will be good I got lucky with the first strain I got and it did real well under the micro conditions and flowered at 4" but then I got the SR71 Purple Kush(which I think is Urkel) and it did horrible compared to my other purple strain which is supposedly Grand Daddy Purple and most likely is from the yields I get off it so try and find at Sativa/Indica hybrid and you should be alright

jchesmore722

DR.BUDGreengenes

You are one of the most knowledgeable people I have encountered on these forum. I love your perpetual setup, your yields are ridiculous. You really make the most efficient use of your space. O and the whole live of the grid/self sufficient thing it is admirable.

Anyways I was hoping you could help me with a few questions I had.
Also Ive been planning/building a grow box and it could use your critiquing if you don’t mind.

Keeping plants short…
Is it possible to accomplish the same thing from seed??? OR can you only get them to be really short from clone?

How Does this sound?
I plan on vegging four plants for about a month and using severe LST. Then I will take 6 clones of each. Each clone will be an inch taller than the last so I can test a variety of heights to find the “sweet spot”. (1st clone is 1”, 2nd clone is 2” and so on…)
Then once all the clones are rooted I will flower all the plants together.

The reason I am doing this is because if I just had those four plants, and two of them end up male, I would only have 2 plants left. This way, even if probability wins, I will still have two decently vegged plants and 12 clones. Even if I only get an eight from each clone that’s still and ounce and a half just from clones + whatever I yield from the two bigger plants, hopefully around a half each.

I might keep one clone of each plant aside so the ones whose donners are female can be mother plants after this.….Hopefully I will get all females. That would be incredible. 24 clones at an eight each + 4 Good size plants that would probably yield about a half oz each . Makes for a grand total of 5 OZ’s if I get all female.

I don’t want to get ahead of myself though. Hell I will be happy if they make it to flower at all. I just want to learn what I can from experience now because I have been reading endlessly for the past month about this and I’m aching to put it to practice.

Also
I know that indicas are supposed to be bushy(tighter spacing) and sativa taller….
Ive also heard that using mh lighting for veg makes a bushier plant while hps makes them stretch more….BUT

Which has more of an impact on node spacing, genetics(ie. Indica vs. sativa) or light type(ie. MH vs. HPS)???
Basically im just wondering if my HPS light is going to make my K2(indica) stretch??

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Any other advice is welcome too.

Last edited:

justanotherbozo

Veteran
hey bro, the good Doctor went in for triple by-pass surgery yesterday
so everyone is shootin' positive vibes his way.

do a search for his other threads man, there are a few and all are worth
reading, then check out some of the threads of the people here who post
in the Doc's threads, many of whom have awesome threads of thier own,
Thundurkel for instance, his stuff is well worth the read man.

anyway, hopefully the Doc will be back before ya know it!

sugabear_II

Veteran
Still. I'd love to give that a go. Especially in a F&D shallow tub system running a range of nutes. I need someone to point me in the direction of a thread to someone doing perpetual flood and drain styled SOG in any size range. Any help?

perpetual and ebb and flow (flood and drain) don't mix as you have only one resevior and can't feed different plants different levels of nutrients. make sense?

ebb and flow sog though used to be and still is a pretty common grow technique although folks tend to shy away from it these days because of the high plant numbers

Tanuvan

perpetual and ebb and flow (flood and drain) don't mix as you have only one resevior and can't feed different plants different levels of nutrients. make sense?

ebb and flow sog though used to be and still is a pretty common grow technique although folks tend to shy away from it these days because of the high plant numbers

I kind of thought that might be the case. I wondered that myself. I would think perpetual in this setup would require individual watering due to the different stages of plant growth.

Thundurkel

Just Call me Urkle!!
Veteran
but what if you ran a really good soil that only needs water all the way through flowering?? would that work? cuz I would love that!

but what if you ran a really good soil that only needs water all the way through flowering?? would that work? cuz I would love that!

You can do that in a larger pot, but with the 20oz pop bottles the plant will starve itself out on a water only diet. Mine can go a week or two at the very outside on water only before they start to yellow from hunger.

Iceman420

for all of you that are doing dr.buds method what are you doing about veltilation? What would be a proper fan for a cab 37"L 19"h 17"w with 6 42 warm watts? currently under veg got 115 ( 5 23 w) of cool white and temps are varying from 80-85 with 80 mm squirrel cage from menards. would a 250cfm ultimately do it? also where are your filters people? this is the one currently in use http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=103322 ( based on treetops design) and it is in the cab pulling air out and the fan is probably 2 feet away connected with ducting.

Should I move the fan closer? install a fan to blow across the lights? or install an 80 cfm cpu fan as another exhaust?

Iceman420

also when lights go off for 6 hours and temps drop from like78-85 to 55-60, is this a problem? will the fluctuating temps be a problem?

Great thread Dr. Bud.

Really like the way your pot is grown, as a "tight on space 1st time farmer" I am excited to give your methods a shot.

I like your method of cloning over any. Why is it that you recomend not misting the leaves?
I am currently cloning 10 cuttings in perlite, I am a CFL believer I'm using a 42 watt cfl for the clones, its 99% Hummidy in the dome they are in, but for some reason the stems seem to have gone very thin and not firm, the leaves are still very green, I'm hoping they will arise again, what do you think??

* Note they are cuttings from a cloned plant that was in 2nd week flowering. *

one Q

Quality
Veteran
I kind of thought that might be the case. I wondered that myself. I would think perpetual in this setup would require individual watering due to the different stages of plant growth.

unless you use Lucas/F.Nova with no additives.

Latest posts

Latest posts