What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Columbian Punto Rojo vs Columbian Gold effects?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting…I’m 62, & started toking in 1972 when my brother Tom came home from 3 tours in Vietnam (my 1st high Vietnamese he had in his wallet!)
Columbian, my favorite of the Colombian strains I was privy to was the
Colombian Gold (unless u were lucky enough to get opium laced Thai stick-obviously very potent)
Colombian Gold was the best as far as simply saying “”I’m Stoned Man””, she had great bag appeal nice strong bold in your face incense peppery very strong odor…this was the only strain that I almost got caught by my dad smoking—
I waked & baked a small bowl, blew it out the window, Dad told Me to not
burn “”incense”” in the morning anymore while he was eating breakfast !!!
Columbian Red was very rare for us in the Chicago area, but I was lucky enough to get it several times. It had a sweeter taste than the gold, but a more subdued high almost more like creeper weed…but much better than the Col brown…
And least, but not last Columbian brown much better than the brown Mexican.
It was available everywhere, we’d smoke several bowls or jays while going to see a movie & get a good buzz on & then smoke several more on the way home…My point is compared to now…that much of any of my current stash would floor me, no don’t really want to drive that high!!!
((I have read that the Colombians would plunge a wood stake Through the mountain sativa stock splitting it & then let the plants Sun dry/cure —this was the Gold strain. I would have to agree with this article, most potent Sativa strains are mountain above ~2700ft or equatorial, & plants that are stressed tend to produce high amount of resins as death nears…not to mention the higher UVB high altitude exposure.
I’d think the Volcanic mountain area of
Cordillera Central Columbia (pic attached) would possibly be ground zero.
Another note about the gold, was that the buds were somewhat dryer the more I think about it when breaking them up (that I know we didn’t have grinders back then just scissors or our hands), this could be possibly due to the plants drying curing right on the staked stock in the mountain Sun ???
Well that’s my Columbian experience best I remember (But old school Jamaican, Acapulco gold, moroccan, red Vietnamese, Thai stick, Gold/Red Colombians, “Rest In Peace”… 🎶😎🎶

My experiment Sun drying:
At 1st after drying & trimming & cooler curing I thought I’d lost the Terps, BUT now 40 days later & finally jared the Terps just shout out…!!!
Some pics of my Gangster Girl plants SunDrrying for 10 days, then 4 wk cure in food cooler @ 60% humidity & jared.
((Odor of fruity-lemony-vanilla vodka-sage/cardamom spice, per my wife 😇))
View attachment 18128179

View attachment 18128180 View attachment 18128184 View attachment 18128181 View attachment 18128182 View attachment 18128183
Note: above plants were exposed to 300 watts UVB from day 55-95, late blooming hybrids GSC/OGK = Gangster Girl, Est Thc ~ 22-25%

Ok ok, great topic, sure brings back the memories…
(So don’t want to change the topic, but I’m hunting for some mostly Sativa dominant strains…anyone have a favorite that is not some private reserve ! In other words seeds available on a commercial level. A few that I found based on strictly on reviews are
SSSC Seeds -Auto Creeper,
Pineapple Poison, Golden Apple Haze & Karl’s Old School Haze

Greenhouse Seeds-Hawaiian Snow & Super Silver Haze & Neville’s Haze

Barney’s Farm- Laughing Buddha, & Amnesia Haze

Dutch Passion- Durban Poison

So far these are my main targets, a few others I didn’t list…the Auto Creeper listed above according to one grower I chatted with was one of his favorite top two Sativa dominant strains for its Energetic NOT couch like high…So I’ve placed my order
time will tell ?

I have some pollen from this supposed BAM African male last summer grow
(the other growers more experienced than I disagreed said a part hybrid & not super potent, regardless I liked the Sativa leave structure & will probably due some crossing for kicks
Pic of Male super cropped early, as the other growers saw 10’ plants
1651400629859.png

Rocky Mtn Squid

EL CID SQUID
Veteran
Hawaiian Nuken Sativa

Click image for larger version  Name:    Hawaiian Nuken Sativa.jpg Views:    0 Size:    212.9 KB ID:    18093707

Scored it once from a bm dispensary in BC......very nice smoking weed......:smokey:.......tasted like fruit with hints of oranges

This particular strain circulates in Western Canada, and is available on retail store shelves. As always, LP renditions are poor examples when compared to their bm brethren.....:smoke:

There is an S1 seed in the above pic.....:plant grow:

Afghani Sativa Land Race
Afghani Sativa Land Race.jpg

Afghani Sativa Landrace

This is a pic of Afghani Land Race Sativa that lab tested at 28% THC, and was ridiculously over priced because of that. I was only able to find it one single time in Vancouver. It's circulating out there somewhere on the BC coast. The buds were dense and heavy in weight, and I did find one or two S1's from a half oz. Taste had slight hints of OG Kush with strong tones of black berries and spicey mint/tarragon with whispers of cheese. A very nice smoking sativa......:joint:...... but I find that smoking any weed this strong tends to give me a headache if I over indulge.

RMS

:smoweed:

"I used to do drugs. I still do. But I used to too" - Mitch Hedberg

"Politics is the entertainment division of the industrial-military complex" - Frank Zappa

Eat That Question : https://www.bitchute.com/video/eAhy4EMAM2Uz/

"It now pays to blaze" - RMS

Last edited:

Hempy McNoodle

My CG 72 might be more like the pheno you had. It has a few more weeks to go, but they are covered in trichs and have a slight burnt rubber/incense scent. These are from seeds I reproduced using a Hermie male.

I often wonder if part of the reason that trip weed is so hard to come by is maybe because people get rid of so much of the genetics if a sativa plant has any Hermie traits. What if all the trippiest and most potent genetics happen to be the ones we are selecting to cull out (hermys).
I think it is worth considering. In the countries where these plants come from, I highly doubt that the indigenous growers cared if a male plant had pistils or not.

My double Acapulco gold reproduction was pollinated with a Hermie male and the resulting seeds (plants) turned out to be more potent than the seed stock I purchased to start with. Small sample size, but I keep in mind that the best genetics for getting hi might be the ones we are quickest to throw away. The cg72 puts out a few bananas here and there but they can simply be picked of (removed) from the plants. Small price to pay for great old school highs in my opinion.

What do you all think?

By the way, when I say ' Hermie male'... These plants are predominantly male with just a few female flowers. Not anywhere near 50/50 male/female.

Im'One

I wondered the same. I think landraces are gonna Hermie when stressed. Its just gonna happen. I'm sure some one will disagree. Hermies are not the end of the world for me. I'm gonna attempt growing one strain at a time until I get my landraces preserved in open pollination f1 forms. Then worry about the next step. At age 62/
I will be lucky to work through all the strains I have now.

Rocky Mtn Squid

EL CID SQUID
Veteran
4SD
4SD S1 V12 64.jpg

It's not uncommon for strains to produce a few S1's at the end of flower. It's actually a good thing if you have the time to grow out those S1's and explore all the sub pheno's genetics in those seeds.

With 4SD S1's, I was able to find many of the ECSD sub pheno's such as sour strawberry, sour apple, sour cherry, sour lemon, and sour lime.

4SD - Sour Lime - Sub Pheno of ECSD x Chem Dog #4
4SD Floppy Pheno Harvested @ Day 74.jpg

RMS

Last edited:

Gry

Veteran
My CG 72 might be more like the pheno you had. It has a few more weeks to go, but they are covered in trichs and have a slight burnt rubber/incense scent. These are from seeds I reproduced using a Hermie male.

I often wonder if part of the reason that trip weed is so hard to come by is maybe because people get rid of so much of the genetics if a sativa plant has any Hermie traits. What if all the trippiest and most potent genetics happen to be the ones we are selecting to cull out (hermys).
I think it is worth considering. In the countries where these plants come from, I highly doubt that the indigenous growers cared if a male plant had pistils or not.

My double Acapulco gold reproduction was pollinated with a Hermie male and the resulting seeds (plants) turned out to be more potent than the seed stock I purchased to start with. Small sample size, but I keep in mind that the best genetics for getting hi might be the ones we are quickest to throw away. The cg72 puts out a few bananas here and there but they can simply be picked of (removed) from the plants. Small price to pay for great old school highs in my opinion.

What do you all think?

By the way, when I say ' Hermie male'... These plants are predominantly male with just a few female flowers. Not anywhere near 50/50 male/female.
Think you are onto something there. Have long thought that decreased breeding times have taken us the wrong direction when it comes
to looking for plants with more profound sativa effect.

Gry

Veteran
I wondered the same. I think landraces are gonna Hermie when stressed. Its just gonna happen. I'm sure some one will disagree. Hermies are not the end of the world for me. I'm gonna attempt growing one strain at a time until I get my landraces preserved in open pollination f1 forms. Then worry about the next step. At age 62/
I will be lucky to work through all the strains I have now.
Like yourself, I have no qualms with plants that show each, have no problems with pinching off a few here or there.

funkyhorse

I am growing the same CG72 keeper girl from last year I succeeded to keep through the winter
She has resin on stems and have outcrossed now but I am seeing her progeny and is not what I would have expected. I can only have low res pictures but you can see this clearly with naked eye
I am growing progeny of this same girl crossed with Seedsman x Golli Hz
And I am also growing the progeny from my CG72 purple girl F2 and crossed with the same Seedsman Hz x Ohz90 boys
Both of them after curing and kept 6 months in a vacuum jar turned into a very high munchies weed
And both of the girls give non resinous progeny. They have no resin on stems at all and so far no resin on leaves neither
Why? I have no clue. I will judge the quality of smoke after grow. Maybe they will develop resin later

The CG72 boy outcrossed seems to be a very different story. From my CG72 pack I had 8 girls and 1 boy. All firm, no intersex problems.
The Northern Thailand 2008 x CG72 outcross which seems to be my first and lonely F1 gave me 2 girls and 1 boy. One of the girls is intersex but I am trying to keep. The intersex problems come from the thai side
But the Seedsman Hz july pheno x CG72 against all forecasts is giving the most interesting progeny
Same with (Seedsman Hz x Ohz90) x Cg72 but this one has variability on shape and heights. But the Seedsman Hz july pheno x CG72 is giving uniform progeny and more vigorous than her (Smoh x Ohz90) x CG72 sister. This is the most vigorous of all crosses of the tests with hazes

I think intersex problems occur when trying to grow an outdoor variety indoors or viceversa when it is not in the genetics

So it seems these lines behave quite similar. As described many times, it seems the haze males are top notch. I am suspecting same thing is happening with CG72 and Oldtimer Haze, after all it is all californian weed made by crews that were in contact with each other it seems. These strains certainly share many features. So I just touched a flower of Seedman Haze july pheno x CG72 with Oldtimer haze pollen in order to make some home grown Triple Californian next year

And I leave you low res picture from Mangobiche TLT which at the moment has no resin development and they all look more or less the same, only difference is just about 20 cms difference on height of the plants and Mangobiche CBG which are flowering all differently and they are developing differently too.

Have a nice week

Attachments

• Mangobiche cbg (3).jpeg
    Mangobiche cbg (3).jpeg
    142.9 KB · Views: 48
  • Mangobiche tlt (3).jpeg
    Mangobiche tlt (3).jpeg
    136.5 KB · Views: 49
  • Smoh x cg72 (2).jpeg
    Smoh x cg72 (2).jpeg
    75.4 KB · Views: 48
  • Smoh x cg72.jpeg
    Smoh x cg72.jpeg
    207.8 KB · Views: 52
  • Cg72 (4).jpeg
    Cg72 (4).jpeg
    156.3 KB · Views: 54
  • Mangobiche cbg (4).jpeg
    Mangobiche cbg (4).jpeg
    76.9 KB · Views: 49

Gry

Veteran
Was a really neat thread here on a neat sounding guy who went down there and married into the culture down there, and has spent years hunting down
the local genetics, and then getting the appropriate permits to be able to grow. The guy has spent years at it, and it sure did sound to me like he had
made decent headway with what he was doing. Hate that I can not recall the name of his thread. Any one else able to help with the details here ?

funkyhorse

Was a really neat thread here on a neat sounding guy who went down there and married into the culture down there, and has spent years hunting down
the local genetics, and then getting the appropriate permits to be able to grow. The guy has spent years at it, and it sure did sound to me like he had
made decent headway with what he was doing. Hate that I can not recall the name of his thread. Any one else able to help with the details here ?

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran

What do you all think?

i dont agree with some of what i see you write in other areas of the forum hmc,
but we are definitely in agreement on this topic ,
i grew some laos sometime ago , females showed no hermie issues at all and i was very happy with how they grew ,
i wanted to make some seed ,, the male selected was seperated from the girls for a while , but showed some female pistils just as it started to release pollen,
it was close enough to the girls that some seed was produced on them ,
but i was unsure if they would be ok ,
i also used one of the females to make a few hybrids ,

now in all the grows i have done and everyone else has done,
not 1 female has shown any hermie traits ,
however ,, some of the males do , which of course is no problem for anybody ,

so what does it mean , well things are not as black and white with regards to the sexual fluidity(flexibility?? lol) of cannabis it seems , especially with some of these asian landraces , particularly the males,
perhaps it s not always the case ,
but its interesting to note nevertheless ...

Rocky Mtn Squid

EL CID SQUID
Veteran
Candybar
Vietnam Black x ((Kandahar x Thai) x Panama)x Manga Rosa Landrace from Brasil
IMG_2291-scaled.jpg

Five primary phenos rolled out of this seed, as if highlighting each of the countries that were the source of its original genetics: Vietnam, Panama, Thailand, Kandahar Afghanistan, and Brasil.

Each pheno had well-defined physical characteristics as well as distinctive smoke qualities and high.

Manga-Rosa-x-Manga-Rosa-2-May.13.2016-scaled.jpg

Manga Rosa with its characteristic leaf structure. Manga Rosa is 100% sativa and is considered a Brasilian landrace.

Madjag-Manga-Rosa-notes-Phylos.png

144.jpg

A long-time California grower and fellow forum member, e.T, gifted me with a very special hybrid composed of genetics carefully archived and tended over decades by various well-know cannabis growers.

Zamalito, cootz, and Brotherhood Of The Eternal Love need no introduction when it comes to great weed. All of these growers mentioned have been an integral part of the Old-School growing scene in Cali and neighboring states.

I named this hybrid e.T Special in memory of his exceptional gift. Without any reservations he gave me enough seeds to sustain this unique line for years to come. It was with this hybrid that I crossed Brasilian Manga Rosa in 2020. The resulting herb has a wonderful candy sandalwood terpene profile among others.

I have named this hybrid “Candybar” out of respect for a dear old Colombian friend of mine, Gerardo, who was the first person I had ever met who had private stash genetics from Colombia so powerful that in 1973 there were no equals in America. Only Thai Stick back then came close.

I’ve lost count of the smoker casualties I witnessed over the years but you tend to remember when you see a friend with years of weed smoking under his belt take one toke and pass out, breaking his eyeglasses on a brick wall on his way down. My friend gave it its original “Candybar” name based upon the way it was pressed into small, hash-like chunks and wrapped into aluminum foil, just like the popular “Chunky” candybar of the 1950’s and 1960’s.

Here’s a modern version of a pressed Manga Rosa chunk:

HCO1-Press-Manga-Rosa-on-Strainhunters-300x226.jpg

Manga-Rosa-Phylos-2.jpg

Photo courtesy of Strainhunters.com

Among well-traveled and experienced weed puffers it was more commonly referred to as Colombian “Wacky Weed”.

The primary genetics of e.T Special are:

• Vietnam black = Zamalito’s selection from Kiona Farms
  • Kandahar/Thai x Panama = selected by cootz and the BOEL in the early 1980’s
Panama stock supplied by a Peace Corp worker who brought seeds back in the 1970’s
IMG_1373-scaled.jpg

IMG_1379-scaled.jpg
e.T Special, like Manga Rosa, is considered rare and even more enticing, it has no immediate relatives.

SOURCE: https://madjag.com/candybar/

I use to see the same reaction from people smoking Hawaiian weed for the first time when I would bring it back with me in my college days. Most people had never experienced weed that strong before, and would vomit, then pass out after one or two hits from a joint.....:bigeye: Usually, they were quite drunk at the time, but not always.......:ROFLMAO:

As far as myself, I never saw/experienced Candybar or e.T Special in my travels. Wish I had......;)

RMS

Last edited:

Hempy McNoodle

I think it's something very important to consider in the preservation of traditional sativas. especially if it is just a private preservation project. I understand serious commercial seed banks want to stay away from anything that might hermy, but they could market some of these as for 'advanced growers.'

The best Kandahar (indica) plant in my current grow had one male flower on each side of each main stems lowest bud. I pulled the male flowers off of the plant and kept an eye on her. There were no more male flowers after that. She's so beautiful. Many would have chopped her down.

Last edited:

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I wonder what became of the original candy bar, Wacky Weed. I think the Panama Red from Snow, Dr Greenthumb and maybe others, is real. I guess it came from that Peace Corp person, they also got a Guerrero if I remember right. The onion type, not the Acapulco Gold strain, sadly.

Wuachuma

Haiku KooKoo

haiku-kookoo-a-jpg.18085479

View attachment 18128320 View attachment 18128321
Hawaiian Sativa strain that was African in origin - circa 1984 - Oahu, windward side, short season stunter's. During the long season, this strain was easily capable of growing over 20 feet tall, with main stems that had the circumference of trees. It was a strain that had acclimatized itself to its environment, having been exclusively grown by a very select few, for many years.

I use to have some S1's, but no longer have them...........:bashhead: :cuss:

It tasted like tangerines and berries.

https://www.icmag.com/threads/hawaiian-sativa.18085441/post-18085478

View attachment 18128328

RMS

I see this pop up in old Hawaiian stock I have.
What I have is Jamaican/Thai, Swazi, with a Mexican / Afghan backbone. Those 3-leafs in your pics and their structure look very familiar to what Ive been playing with since 2018

Wuachuma

responding to hermi males,
I have a running thesis that potency is strongly correlated with hermaphrodism.
Firstly, hermaphrodism is a survival instinct/response to environmental stress, and secondary metabolites (terpenes ans resin glands) are a survival mechanism to environmental stressors.
Further, I've met many old growers who breed far past F8. They tell me their first selection criteria is no herms. And every one of those lines ends up becoming schwag.

Of course, many people have done repro/preservation projects that became near impossible because they used herms early on and the herm frequency in sample size just kept growing and growing, making it very hard to find any stable parents - especially a stable male.
My conclusion to my thesis regarding herms and breeding is that its not good to use a plant that herms at week 4, but that there may be desirable traits in parents that throw bananas after week 10. Just look at how Chems like to throw nanners late in flower yet are some of the best plants out there. Same with many Thai's and African sativas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts