What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Columbian Punto Rojo vs Columbian Gold effects?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hempy McNoodle

Where are the Punta Rojo landrace seeds the 'strain hunters' got off that mountain? Did those guys ever do anything with the genetics they scavenged?

What about 'candybar'?
The Strain Hunters seem to horde the genetics and trade their hybrid seeds to the source or pay locals to grow Greenhouse Seeds' strains in the hopes that they will contaminate the original source genetics. Not good.

There is a vintage Colombian 3way haze out there that comes from mel frank I think. It is said to be very diverse and I would imagine it would have phenos of many Colombian types similar to the varieties growing together in the Strain Hunters Colombian video. PM me if you wanna know more about it.

Hempy McNoodle

Connoisseurs say that the real test for gold is in the buds or clumps, which should reveal a "furriness"—that is, pollen clinging to the flowers and seed bracts.
I presume the author is actually referring to the trichome coverage here.^. I am feeling lucky to have two very "furry" girls (Colombian Gold 1972) @17 weeks into flower from when I switched the lights to 11on/13off. Can't wait to experience the high! I'll let them go 21 weeks (18 weeks actually flowering).

goingrey

IIRC the Strain Hunters Colombia episode had Punta Rojo and and Mangobiche. Both of those were released by Cannabiogen in the past and are currently available from TLT. TLT also has a Colombian called Llanera.

All of those are very long flowering and not very indoor friendly. Probably not what most GHS customers are looking for. They have recently released some landrace Swazi crosses though so I guess the "strain hunting" is not just for the camera (which would also be fine).

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
^^ I failed to germinate Ugandan Mamba seeds from TLT and contacted them about getting some replacement Punto Rojo seeds for shipping costs. Went thru 20 seeds and no plants. I grew one PR from ACE and not impressed but just one. Not a good high but strong. Have a pack of Mangobiche never opened.

I grow 'unfriendly' strains all the time in a small tent. Keep the light close and train them by bending, lots of bending. 9 hours lights on during flower. The Llanera got a bad review here by funkyhorse. Looking for trip type stuff.

funkyhorse

Hi there Yesum
I hope you dont mind, I think it would be more fair to say Llanera got a review by funkyhorse. The goodness or badness of the review it is the subjective opinion of the reader of the review. I personally didnt like it and I am not even smoking the hash of it but I only smoke 10% or less of what I grow. Maybe for someone else who only have this plant to smoke it is excellent.
I didnt like Llanera nor Colombian Black from GGG, not my taste, not my high, not my thing. Llanera is hybridized, not pure. If this is good or bad it is beyond me

I am growing now Mangobiche TLT side by side with Mangobiche CBG. In this one I am not biased as I would be with all those Punto Rojo wanna be. I never heard about nor smoked Mangobiche so I dont have prejudices like with other strains carrying famous names of old but not carrying the famous highs of old.
This Mangobiche from TLT have very little variability as opposed to Llanera and Mangobiche from CBG has a lot of variability and all males are intersex. All girls are sexually firm so far from both

I also never smoked nor heard about colombian gold. I am growing it again this year CG72 from JGL. I am growing it and its progeny this year too. I dont think it is colombian, I consider it californian. It doesnt have a long cure, after 6 months buds start to degrade. I hope the outcrosses with it will bring a longer cure

And reading what you guys comment, it seems you guys could source too many things called colombian.
What arrived to southern south america was brick in the 80s. And from descriptions it seems many of you got bud called colombian in the 80s. If it was bud, was locally grown, not colombian.
The Punto Rojo of old that arrived to South America had a feature trademark high. It was 3 toke of a needle joint. And high was psychodelic lasting long hours. Synesthesia weed. It didnt matter if you were a teenager or a 50 year old. It would hit both of us the same. Nobody remembers smells. I never in my life described weed by smell or taste, specially smoking such high quality drug. As someone having dealt with ganja in the 5 continents from both sides of the counter, description of weed or hash was always about the high.

The day the uyghur dealer in 2017 wanted to sell me his bud telling me it was colombian, I really got pissed off at such bullshit. It seems he got too many american customers at the time. By then it was getting too difficult to source decent weed, so no choice, need to grow your own if you want to smoke decency today

ha! nobody knows it seems. that's shame.

I think today, both varieties are extinct and what is available is watered down version of it...

this is from article from 1979, I assume more proper and accurate "evidence" how it was than some today memories or impression from today version

"
Most Colombian marijuana that reaches America is known as "regular" or "commercial." It is usually dark brown, tends to be strong and heavy, and generally has a pungent, earthy flavor when relatively fresh. It may be as much as 60 percent seeds by weight. Consumers find it a reliable way of getting high, although some complain that it is harsh on the throat and makes them tired.
The finer varieties of Colombian can be divided into lights, darks, and reds. The lights include the highly respected Colombian golds, but not all grass that glitters is what it appears. Often, the color is produced by bleaching the marijuana in the sun, or even by an artificial agent. Connoisseurs say that the real test for gold is in the buds or clumps, which should reveal a "furriness"—that is, pollen clinging to the flowers and seed bracts. The golds tend to be stronger, sweeter, and less sleep-inducing than the browns.
The darks, or browns, are grown in the lowland plains, and their freshness can make the difference between commercial and connoisseur smoke. The most famous of the dark Colombians is Wacky Weed, a legendary variety said to make everything seem absurd. According to those who have smoked it, Wacky Weed is marijuana that has produced so much resin that it has stifled itself and died, which accounts for its occasional black color. Wacky Weed is no longer seen in the United States, but sophisticated smokers see a replacement in a similar if less potent variety known as Manizales Black.
Finally, there are the reds, the best known of which is Punta Roia ("red tip"). Almost tasteless but very high in THC, Punta Roja has a brownish-red flare on the tops of the leaves and red highlights on the buds. The reds have a reputation for being more spiritual or religious in their effect
."

and this is from DJ Shorts article strain of yesteryear, but he does not comment any punto rojo, only colombian god:

" The color and cure were unique, and the aroma, flavor and high were equally so. The smell was that of sandalwood incense, almost like frankincense. The flavor was that of a peppery cedar. It was some of the most unique tasting herb in the world, and the high was just as exciting. It was truly psychedelic, powerful and long lasting.

First came the great flavor, then the stupefying awe of the shift in consciousness followed by a giddy excitement and bursts of joyous laughter. Smile-lock and red-eye made it painfully obvious who was under the influence of this great psychedelic herb."
Interesting…I’m 62, & started toking in 1972 when my brother Tom came home from 3 tours in Vietnam (my 1st high Vietnamese he had in his wallet!)
Columbian, my favorite of the Colombian strains I was privy to was the
Colombian Gold (unless u were lucky enough to get opium laced Thai stick-obviously very potent)
Colombian Gold was the best as far as simply saying “”I’m Stoned Man””, she had great bag appeal nice strong bold in your face incense peppery very strong odor…this was the only strain that I almost got caught by my dad smoking—
I waked & baked a small bowl, blew it out the window, Dad told Me to not
burn “”incense”” in the morning anymore while he was eating breakfast !!!
Columbian Red was very rare for us in the Chicago area, but I was lucky enough to get it several times. It had a sweeter taste than the gold, but a more subdued high almost more like creeper weed…but much better than the Col brown…
And least, but not last Columbian brown much better than the brown Mexican.
It was available everywhere, we’d smoke several bowls or jays while going to see a movie & get a good buzz on & then smoke several more on the way home…My point is compared to now…that much of any of my current stash would floor me, no don’t really want to drive that high!!!
((I have read that the Colombians would plunge a wood stake Through the mountain sativa stock splitting it & then let the plants Sun dry/cure —this was the Gold strain. I would have to agree with this article, most potent Sativa strains are mountain above ~2700ft or equatorial, & plants that are stressed tend to produce high amount of resins as death nears…not to mention the higher UVB high altitude exposure.
I’d think the Volcanic mountain area of
Cordillera Central Columbia (pic attached) would possibly be ground zero.
Another note about the gold, was that the buds were somewhat dryer the more I think about it when breaking them up (that I know we didn’t have grinders back then just scissors or our hands), this could be possibly due to the plants drying curing right on the staked stock in the mountain Sun ???
Well that’s my Columbian experience best I remember (But old school Jamaican, Acapulco gold, moroccan, red Vietnamese, Thai stick, Gold/Red Colombians, “Rest In Peace”… 🎶😎🎶

My experiment Sun drying:
At 1st after drying & trimming & cooler curing I thought I’d lost the Terps, BUT now 40 days later & finally jared the Terps just shout out…!!!
Some pics of my Gangster Girl plants SunDrrying for 10 days, then 4 wk cure in food cooler @ 60% humidity & jared.
((Odor of fruity-lemony-vanilla vodka-sage/cardamom spice, per my wife 😇))
A5552757-7E6E-439D-896C-F26077845929.jpeg

AFAB7A53-C44B-489C-90FE-27036E2F2819.jpeg
2EE57FBD-61F8-414D-B326-9A2C1D39A4CE.jpeg
9373D781-0C20-4E99-B4AB-8CBC7CC045B2.jpeg
C3656A6D-4873-4560-BFCD-993EB6021939.jpeg
CD46F10B-59BB-448A-8DF5-CEEB195D3040.png

Note: above plants were exposed to 300 watts UVB from day 55-95, late blooming hybrids GSC/OGK = Gangster Girl, Est Thc ~ 22-25%

Im'One

@yesum
For me the Thai stick was devastating and time warp weed. It was the first time I had ever heard Robin Trower.....that helped the effect I'm sure. I don't remember and color shift or.any of that but it was a.long time ago
The Columbian red I smoked was.the closest to shroom type high with trees talking and embracing me via telekinesis

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Great posts by all above^^, you guys made my day.
Hi there Yesum
I hope you dont mind, I think it would be more fair to say Llanera got a review by funkyhorse. The goodness or badness of the review it is the subjective opinion of the reader of the review. I personally didnt like it and I am not even smoking the hash of it but I only smoke 10% or less of what I grow. Maybe for someone else who only have this plant to smoke it is excellent.
I didnt like Llanera nor Colombian Black from GGG, not my taste, not my high, not my thing. Llanera is hybridized, not pure. If this is good or bad it is beyond me

I am growing now Mangobiche TLT side by side with Mangobiche CBG. In this one I am not biased as I would be with all those Punto Rojo wanna be. I never heard about nor smoked Mangobiche so I dont have prejudices like with other strains carrying famous names of old but not carrying the famous highs of old.
This Mangobiche from TLT have very little variability as opposed to Llanera and Mangobiche from CBG has a lot of variability and all males are intersex. All girls are sexually firm so far from both

I also never smoked nor heard about colombian gold. I am growing it again this year CG72 from JGL. I am growing it and its progeny this year too. I dont think it is colombian, I consider it californian. It doesnt have a long cure, after 6 months buds start to degrade. I hope the outcrosses with it will bring a longer cure

And reading what you guys comment, it seems you guys could source too many things called colombian.
What arrived to southern south america was brick in the 80s. And from descriptions it seems many of you got bud called colombian in the 80s. If it was bud, was locally grown, not colombian.
The Punto Rojo of old that arrived to South America had a feature trademark high. It was 3 toke of a needle joint. And high was psychodelic lasting long hours. Synesthesia weed. It didnt matter if you were a teenager or a 50 year old. It would hit both of us the same. Nobody remembers smells. I never in my life described weed by smell or taste, specially smoking such high quality drug. As someone having dealt with ganja in the 5 continents from both sides of the counter, description of weed or hash was always about the high.

The day the uyghur dealer in 2017 wanted to sell me his bud telling me it was colombian, I really got pissed off at such bullshit. It seems he got too many american customers at the time. By then it was getting too difficult to source decent weed, so no choice, need to grow your own if you want to smoke decency today

I am trying to get the Punto Rojo from TLT, hope it is similar to what you had. I agree that the CG '72 is not like what I had in Colombian in '77 to '79. No incense smell for one thing. Growing at 8000 feet elevation on the equator or close to it, would have an impact on the high I think. All the Punto Rojo was mountain grown.

By the 80's I never saw or heard of Colombian again. Here in California all the interest was in locally grown product. Called red hair or sinsemilla.

Rocky Mtn Squid

EL CID SQUID
Veteran
Panama Red

Back in the mid 70's , I remember smoking some. I had certainly never seen weed like that before, and it was considered to be quite exotic. It was right before Gold Columbian took over the entire weed market.

A couple of years ago, a friend offered me what was allegedly a legit cutting of Panama Red. Somehow, someone found and grew out some of those Panama Red seeds, and fast forward to 2020 to when I'm smoking a joint one late fall day in a friends back yard and I spot a camouflaged sativa looking plant that has somehow survived the frosty Rocky Mountain nights.

WTF is this I ask....?

Oh that......, it's a cutting of Panama Red. I have no where to put it, so I dug a hole and planted it there......:giggle:..... my friend responded.

I kept puffing on the joint looking at it, and snapped this pic in disbelief......:smoker:

Panama Red.jpg

It originated from a grower that still to this day grows the original Panama Red, and I was fortunate enough to visit his grow and sample some of his weed.

He told that he even had it lab tested. 12.9 % THC as I recall. It does not have the sweetness of the Gold sativa strains, but is still a very nice old school strain nonetheless. More spicey than sweet, with hints of flowers......roses.........:smokey:

Here is a pic of his Panama Red at full raging sativa bloom......:pimp3:..... in the great outdoors !

Panama Red a.jpg

RMS

:smoweed:

Last edited:

Gry

Veteran
Dishonest dealers ? The cannabis was so damned good that it spoke for it's self, people were not as sophisticated
and knowledgeable about cannabis as they are today, think back on the number of times we heard any kick ass cannabis
described as wacky weed. Having lived though the day, I have a difficult time referring to any one selling nice cannabis as
dishonest, creative sales people, that I do believe, and I did buy their goods, with a grin on my face.

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
What most forget is in the 70s and i would ad the 80s most of these old lines were every were. These were the strains of our area most didn't care about strain names they only cared about the quality of the smoke.

Panama Red was very different to Colombian Red and to be honest i have yet to see a picture of the Panama red plants we were growing posted.

Gry

Veteran
@yesum
For me the Thai stick was devastating and time warp weed. It was the first time I had ever heard Robin Trower.....that helped the effect I'm sure. I don't remember and color shift or.any of that but it was a.long time ago
The Columbian red I smoked was.the closest to shroom type high with trees talking and embracing me via telekinesis

Lived in SE Asia for years, but will go to my grave with memories of the cannabis from Columbia as being my favorite.
Spice box taste and psychedelic effect that was the tops for me.

Last edited:

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I do not care about names either. Quality is the goal. In my area Punto Rojo was none or close to it, Acapulco Gold never anyone I knew, Thai rare, top grade Colombian not common. I had what was likely AG by accident, right time, right place. The high spoke for itself.

What I was getting at, was that most did not have the best stuff because of the rarity of it. Australia might be different than the US, I would think so as it is on the other side of the world. hehe

I smoked some Chellakutti 5 hours ago. Had not smoked it in months and hit it hard, at least for me. 6 tokes. I have not been more spaced out with one exception being AG? long ago. Trips are still out there guys, you gotta look thru strains and phenos and get your tolerance low.

Bridge of Sighs, that takes me back. BOC and Trower were at the top of my music preferences. Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, Johnny Winter..... I found out much later that Trower was not a stoner at all but did play spacy music quite a lot.

Gry

Veteran
Often wondered why someone with a love of cannabis and a little time on their hands has not gone down there and spent five years or however long it takes to ferret out the genetics and, and then sell the seeds.
Would think it would be beyond popular and as people started looking for the more trippy phenos they might even be looking for longer grow times.

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
I think parts of the US got what we did to it all came by ship so port city's would of seen most of it.

Here Colombians Panama Reds Thais many more were every were.

When i logged online and joined the forums over 2 decades ago i was shocked to not see these old lines being sold and grown.

The Colombian Red was extremely strong the first difference between it and say Panama Red plant is the leaf color.

Colombian Red plants have a dark green almost black leaf color were Panama Red plants have a Olive Green Color.

Gry

Veteran
Read a lot of things over the years, but what made the most sense to me was that big pharma did try to grow in many different areas
in an effort to see which area would work out the best for them.
The stories I heard was that they would take a seed strain they were familiar with and then plant it in several different locations to see which would produce the best results.
They were cost conscious, and looked for rural areas with a port nearby.
Recall having read that was the back story to the cannabis of Columbia.
Not sure how it merges with the traditional production of cannabis for hemp for shipping .
Ropewalks were a standard feature in British ports, and it would have been the same for
other shipping nations.

Last edited:

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
Cannabis was legal for a very very long time it was also an important part of trade roots and shipping. Cannabis went were ever the ships did and that included the Americas and as far as Australia.

Sails ropes clothing oil list of uses it huge and that includes recreation use.

The old world hemp variety's were drug strains that came from India / Africa this is easy to prove by the Hemp inquiry held in India in the 1800s.

Rocky Mtn Squid

EL CID SQUID
Veteran
Haiku KooKoo

haiku-kookoo-a-jpg.18085479

Haiku Kookoo.jpeg
Haiku_Kookoo_b.jpg

Hawaiian Sativa strain that was African in origin - circa 1984 - Oahu, windward side, short season stunter's. During the long season, this strain was easily capable of growing over 20 feet tall, with main stems that had the circumference of trees. It was a strain that had acclimatized itself to its environment, having been exclusively grown by a very select few, for many years.

I use to have some S1's, but no longer have them...........:bashhead: :cuss:

It tasted like tangerines and berries.

https://www.icmag.com/threads/hawaiian-sativa.18085441/post-18085478

Haiku_Kookoo_c.jpg

RMS

:smoweed:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts