What's new

Colorado MMJ License ?'s

I'm up for renewal again June, and I was thinking about doing it now, but then I was thinking, does it matter? Can't you get all the same benefits with the temp paperwork as you do with the Red Card? As recently as last summer it was only taking a month, so maybe I am a little out of touch.

Deft

Get two birds stoned at once
Veteran
So I got an email back saying that with no medical records the doc would have to observe something like scars. Everyone has scars!

Think I would get it for aching lower back preventing me from sleeping? I can show the doc that all my joints pop lol, just cant pop lower back every time and it hurts.

cobcoop

Puttin flame to fire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Can't you get all the same benefits with the temp paperwork as you do with the Red Card?
Yes, in fact I believe you don't actually HAVE to sign up with the State registry, and a doctors rec is sufficient, legally. However from what I understand many cops don't see it that way, so in reality I guess it does matter.

So I got an email back saying that with no medical records the doc would have to observe something like scars. Everyone has scars!

Think I would get it for aching lower back preventing me from sleeping? I can show the doc that all my joints pop lol, just cant pop lower back every time and it hurts.

You can get it for Irritable Bowel Syndrom (IBS) very easily. Basically, you can't take a dump unless you smoke a joint! And it hurts if you don't!

My female patients usually say it helps with menstrual cramps, that's another very reliable one.

In reality there's so many good points to this fine plant of ours it's hard to find someone WHO WOULDN'T BENEFIT from cannabis use...

Ms_Weekend

You can get it for Irritable Bowel Syndrom (IBS) very easily. Basically, you can't take a dump unless you smoke a joint! And it hurts if you don't!

My female patients usually say it helps with menstrual cramps, that's another very reliable one.

In reality there's so many good points to this fine plant of ours it's hard to find someone WHO WOULDN'T BENEFIT from cannabis use...

IBS & Menstrual Cramps dont qualify by themself.....just to make this clear so someone doesnt go not knowing what to expect, you have to be in severe pain.

IBS & Menstrual Cramps dont qualify by themself.....just to make this clear so someone doesnt go not knowing what to expect, you have to be in severe pain.

I am absolutely positive they do. My wife has one for menstrual cramps, and many ads state that as well. And the IBS. Maybe what is severe for some is easy for others, but I am just saying what my experience has been. With over 300 dispensaries, they all have different standards.

BudGood

"Be shapeless, formless, like water..."
Veteran
I'm up for renewal again June, and I was thinking about doing it now, but then I was thinking, does it matter? Can't you get all the same benefits with the temp paperwork as you do with the Red Card? As recently as last summer it was only taking a month, so maybe I am a little out of touch.

I thought the same thing, but decided to go ahead and renew anyway. My doc wrote me a renewal, with a provision in the comment area about 36 plants and a corresponding amount of finished cannabis being needed to treat my condition effectively. :tiphat:

So you might think about that, a higher plant count is much easier to justify on a renewal. As far as the temp paperwork providing the same benefits, I wouldn't bank on that at all, especially in an encounter with law enforcement. To each their own, YMMV.

In Colorado, Section 2(a) of Article 18, Section 14 allows a patient or primary caregiver the Affirmative Defense to criminal charges where the patient has been
1) Previously diagnosed by a physician 2) Dr. is recommending med MJ 3) within limits
No card requirement HOWEVER affirmative defenses are defenses that you might have to prove in Court so the cops could arrest you, seize meds, but you do have a defense in the end.

Section 2(B) makes you exempt from the laws prohibiting mj if the Patient has a card from the state and the primary caregiver is appropriately IDed.

2 different defenses, 2 different sets of requirements, 2 different levels of butt coverage

K

Kelly.

Yes, in fact I believe you don't actually HAVE to sign up with the State registry, and a doctors rec is sufficient, legally. However from what I understand many cops don't see it that way, so in reality I guess it does matter.

i thought that without a state mmj card, you still have to prove affirmative defense?
i was under the impression that the state issues you a exemption from the CO marijuana law, without being on the registry, you arent exempt from the law.

just how i understood it.

RockwellHG

If the state told you they are taking less than 4 months to process renewals they are blowing smoke. I know at least two other people in the same position as me. I haven't had to show anything yet, but I carry my old license, Dr's rec and newest app, with a copy of my certified mail receipt.

Yep - I'm doing the same, and I still don't feel as solid as I did when my red card hadn't yet expired. Mine is a renewal, I have several patients who have yet to receive their initial card going on 2-3 mos.

RockwellHG

i thought that without a state mmj card, you still have to prove affirmative defense?
i was under the impression that the state issues you a exemption from the CO marijuana law, without being on the registry, you arent exempt from the law.

just how i understood it.

The card is supposed to be an exemption provided you are within the limits. However if you only had a doctor's rec and no card, instead of LEO potentially walking away you would most likely have to fight whatever charges in court on the affirmative defense.

Here is a snippet from the amendment with the verbiage on affirmative defense and the card:

(2) (a) Except as otherwise provided in subsections (5), (6), and (8) of this section, a patient or primary care-giver charged with a violation of the state's criminal laws related to the patient's medical use of marijuana will be deemed to have established an affirmative defense to such allegation where:
(I) The patient was previously diagnosed by a physician as having a debilitating medical condition;
(II) The patient was advised by his or her physician, in the context of a bona fide physician-patient relationship, that the patient might benefit from the medical use of marijuana in connection with a debilitating medical condition; and
(III) The patient and his or her primary care-giver were collectively in possession of amounts of marijuana only as permitted under this section.
This affirmative defense shall not exclude the assertion of any other defense where a patient or primary care-giver is charged with a violation of state law related to the patient's medical use of marijuana.

(b) Effective June 1, 2001, it shall be an exception from the state's criminal laws for any patient or primary care-giver in lawful possession of a registry identification card to engage or assist in the medical use of marijuana, except as otherwise provided in subsections (5) and (8) of this section.

Surrender

Due to some odd circumstances today I was looking over someone's paperwork who submitted it during the 2nd week of October. CDPHE sent it back this week due to lack of a photo ID of the caregiver. In this case, the post office delivered said paperwork to a completely wrong address on the other side of town.

That's 5 months and 1 week. >35 days is supposed to be an automatic accept. What the hell is going on in there?

pikes peak 69

Greater then 35 days is NOT an automatic acceptance. After 35 days you are considered legal unless or until you get a notice that you have been denied.

HTH
pp69

Due to some odd circumstances today I was looking over someone's paperwork who submitted it during the 2nd week of October. CDPHE sent it back this week due to lack of a photo ID of the caregiver. In this case, the post office delivered said paperwork to a completely wrong address on the other side of town.

That's 5 months and 1 week. >35 days is supposed to be an automatic accept. What the hell is going on in there?

Deft

Get two birds stoned at once
Veteran
Good to know you at least have a defense if you don't renew your card. I've never been popped before for smoking/growing so maybe its worth the risk as long as I only grow a little and don't sell.

Tripsick

Experienced?
Veteran
So do we send copies in of our paper work to the registry?
I was looking through my old paper work and it looks like i kept the originals

Anyone want to clarify if we send the Blue ink in or the Copy.

----
this is what i found

• You can use a copy of your filed application plus certified/registered mail receipt as a temporary card if you have not received anything from the Department within 35 days of filing your application.

So i guess send the Originals and keep a copy with the receipt for a temp card.