What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Colorado MMJ License ?'s

BudGood

"Be shapeless, formless, like water..."
Veteran
just because you are concitered "legal" after 35 days Does Not mean that if you happen to have a run in with a Barny-5 that they are going to conciter that a legal MMJ card. I may have a jaded view of the law-Pigs that the law employs............

Just because some one has a card(or waiting for thier new card), that doesn't mean that they intend to visit any of the pot shops in Colorado.

I think that the Registry sould do something to get the waiting time back down to 35 days. Perhaps they should start by having cards that are good for 2 years or more, look at your state I.D. or D.L., you think that its bad at the DMV now, just think what it would be like if you had to get a new I.D. or D.L. every year. Speaking about the Registry, I think that the MMJ cards that they issue should be more like a drivers liscence with your picture on it instead of a paper card.

I've had a encounter with local LEO, had herb on my person, they could smell it immediately. This was only a couple of weeks after I had gotten my rec, just had my copies with the certified mail reciept stapled to them. He asked if I had any marijuana in the vehicle, and I said yes sir, I do. I handed him my nug jar with some local Sour D, reeked right through the cork lid, and handed him my paperwork. He took my stuff back to his car, made a phone call (to CDPHE, I'd imagine), came back, asked if I had smoked anything recently, to which I responded "No sir, I know the law, not about to get caught up on a DUID". At that, he handed me my paperwork and my nugs back, and told me to have a nice day. I was shaking my head as I drove off, in complete shock. It kinda still seems unreal to me, but cool as hell! :) I think that treating people with respect, even LEO, goes a LOOOOOOOOOOONG way, and may make the difference between the cop being cool or being a prick. :2cents:

I didn't mean that every person who gets a license is gonna go to a dispensary, I was just using that as an example. I do agree with you, however, that it should be a photo ID similar to a drivers license and not need to be renewed every single year, 2 sounds like a good number. :wave:

Absolut

I've had a encounter with local LEO, had herb on my person, they could smell it immediately. This was only a couple of weeks after I had gotten my rec, just had my copies with the certified mail reciept stapled to them. He asked if I had any marijuana in the vehicle, and I said yes sir, I do. I handed him my nug jar with some local Sour D, reeked right through the cork lid, and handed him my paperwork. He took my stuff back to his car, made a phone call (to CDPHE, I'd imagine), came back, asked if I had smoked anything recently, to which I responded "No sir, I know the law, not about to get caught up on a DUID". At that, he handed me my paperwork and my nugs back, and told me to have a nice day. I was shaking my head as I drove off, in complete shock. It kinda still seems unreal to me, but cool as hell! :) I think that treating people with respect, even LEO, goes a LOOOOOOOOOOONG way, and may make the difference between the cop being cool or being a prick. :2cents:

I didn't mean that every person who gets a license is gonna go to a dispensary, I was just using that as an example. I do agree with you, however, that it should be a photo ID similar to a drivers license and not need to be renewed every single year, 2 sounds like a good number. :wave:

Wow what a relief!

Whenever I drive, I try not to have too much herb on me. If I'm going for a long ride, several joints do the trick.

Even if it's legal, I just don't want to chance running into some asshole cop regardless of my attitude.

I've met some really cool cops and also had my fair share of genuine swine.

BudGood

Veteran
Wow what a relief!

Whenever I drive, I try not to have too much herb on me. If I'm going for a long ride, several joints do the trick.

Even if it's legal, I just don't want to chance running into some asshole cop regardless of my attitude.

I've met some really cool cops and also had my fair share of genuine swine.

Yup, exactly, I only had like an eighth in the jar, but it REEKED! :canabis: I agree, I've met some cops that were super cool, and then others who I could care less if some methhead shot them tomorrow. People who treat others with respect are a dying breed these days, but especially amongst LEO, sad to say. :fsu:

medichron

Budgood, that is awesome to read that you had an encounter with a cop and your medical card totally protected you! I've been wondering what a run in with a cop would be like now that I have my card, luckily you got a chill cop (I definitely agree they are a dying breed).

Peace out,
Medichron

BudGood

Veteran
I think the card definitely did it's job, but I think that the way I handled the situation also helped (and he did seem like a cool guy). Cops are people too, and they deal with assholes regularly, treat them with respect and their attitude is generally better toward you. :2cents:

Ganoderma

Hydronaut
Mentor
Veteran

Its nice to know that there are some cops out there that are fallowing the law. Yes being nice to them does go a long way, just like its pointless to run from them.

The first year that I had my card I went snowmobiling and got all wet, and so did my wallet which is where my card was. I was afraid that it was going to fall apart when I removed it from my wallet, but it didn't.

You think that the CDPHE could get thier hands on some of the same eqiupment that the DMV uses and use it to make the MMJ I.D.'s that way. perhaps they could code that magnetic strip on the back, so perhaps the officer could just swipe it to find out if its a valid card.

BudGood

Veteran
Its nice to know that there are some cops out there that are fallowing the law. Yes being nice to them does go a long way, just like its pointless to run from them.

The first year that I had my card I went snowmobiling and got all wet, and so did my wallet which is where my card was. I was afraid that it was going to fall apart when I removed it from my wallet, but it didn't.

You think that the CDPHE could get thier hands on some of the same eqiupment that the DMV uses and use it to make the MMJ I.D.'s that way. perhaps they could code that magnetic strip on the back, so perhaps the officer could just swipe it to find out if its a valid card.

A good point, maybe one we should address to CDPHE. :yes:

Ganoderma

Hydronaut
Mentor
Veteran
I think the card definitely did it's job, but I think that the way I handled the situation also helped (and he did seem like a cool guy). Cops are people too, and they deal with assholes regularly, treat them with respect and their attitude is generally better toward you. :2cents:

If you have ever watched cops or TruTV, when they show dashboard cam videos you can see how many assholes they have to put up with. So being nice does go a long way.

dja

I think it goes a long way for our cause to be respectful too. The more pleasant experiences a cop has with patients, the more likely he is going to be respectful back.

Ganoderma

Hydronaut
Mentor
Veteran
its much safer if you have your card, even more so if you have it in your hand. but i think the doctor rec is only good for 90 days

BudGood

Veteran
If you have ever watched cops or TruTV, when they show dashboard cam videos you can see how many assholes they have to put up with. So being nice does go a long way.

:yeahthats

Are you required to get a card in CO or is a doc's rec enough to get you through?

Depends on ones interpretation. Theres one guy whos carrying around his original rec, papers about to fall apart. Some would interpret the law to say if you're using it for medicinal purposes PERIOD you're legal, even without a card. In any event, you're alot safer just getting the card, IMHO. :2cents:

I think it goes a long way for our cause to be respectful too. The more pleasant experiences a cop has with patients, the more likely he is going to be respectful back.

EXACTLY. I couldn't have said it any better brother! :respect:

its much safer if you have your card, even more so if you have it in your hand. but i think the doctor rec is only good for 90 days

The doctors rec is only good for 90 days if turning the application into CDPHE, I believe. If you're going to go the "rec but no state card" route, theoretically it should be good for a year. Your Mileage May Vary. :)

zenoonez

Veteran
Depends on ones interpretation. Theres one guy whos carrying around his original rec, papers about to fall apart. Some would interpret the law to say if you're using it for medicinal purposes PERIOD you're legal, even without a card. In any event, you're alot safer just getting the card, IMHO.
:2cents:

My point is that I don't have to get a card for my flu shot or for my antibiotics, I shouldn't have to get one for my medicinal marijuana either. I understand that it is safer I just think it is uncalled for.

The doctors rec is only good for 90 days if turning the application into CDPHE, I believe. If you're going to go the "rec but no state card" route, theoretically it should be good for a year. Your Mileage May Vary. :)

What is the CDPHE and does the law require you to get apply to this CDPHE? Is there a perceived difference between plant counts with the card vs without the card as is theorized in CA at this point?

BudGood

Veteran
:2cents:

My point is that I don't have to get a card for my flu shot or for my antibiotics, I shouldn't have to get one for my medicinal marijuana either. I understand that it is safer I just think it is uncalled for.

Yup, I understand, I'm merely stating the law and my opinion. How you feel about it is irrelevent to the discussion at hand. Seems like you don't like following the rules, might as well just stay illegal and under the radar if thats the case...

What is the CDPHE and does the law require you to get apply to this CDPHE? Is there a perceived difference between plant counts with the card vs without the card as is theorized in CA at this point?

Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment, I think. Haven't heard anything on plant counts with or without the card. Either go legal or don't. Nobody is forcing you to do anything. :2cents:

zenoonez

Veteran
Yup, I understand, I'm merely stating the law and my opinion. How you feel about it is irrelevent to the discussion at hand. Seems like you don't like following the rules, might as well just stay illegal and under the radar if thats the case...

Lol. I appreciate your honesty and your opinion. I don't like laws that are flawed personally. I am just trying to understand if you have to have the card and what practical benefits it provides you. I mean if I just have a doc rec and get pulled over 6 months after I get it and they take my stuff and charge me like a criminal that is one thing. If they pull me over look at my doc rec and say okay let me call your doc and then lets me go thats another. If I have to have the card I will, if I don't why waste my time?

Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment, I think. Haven't heard anything on plant counts with or without the card. Either go legal or don't. Nobody is forcing you to do anything. :2cents:
Indeed, no one is forcing me either way. Nor am I in a position where I have to decide at the moment. I am just trying to weigh my options on what medi state to move to. Thanks again for your answers.

BudGood

Veteran
No prob man, I hope I didn't come off as harsh, just being honest. I feel that having a card is a far more effective solution than just a rec, IMO. LEO are far more likely to recognize the state issued card than just a stack of paperwork, I did point out to the police officer the certified mail reciept stapled to my papers, showing I had sent it in to the health department already. I feel my card is worth 1000's to me, and it sure didn't take that much to get it! ;)

Ganoderma

Hydronaut
Mentor
Veteran
No prob man, I hope I didn't come off as harsh, just being honest. I feel that having a card is a far more effective solution than just a rec, IMO. LEO are far more likely to recognize the state issued card than just a stack of paperwork, I did point out to the police officer the certified mail reciept stapled to my papers, showing I had sent it in to the health department already. I feel my card is worth 1000's to me, and it sure didn't take that much to get it! ;)

The certified mail reciept along with your doctor rec is basically like having your card in hand, even if you don't have your card. So better to have both than just the doctors rec.