What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Colorado Greenhouse 9300' (Seasonal and Year-around)

COgrowerco

I'm in a similar boat as yourself, we are potentially a few days away from starting the build-out for a 22,000sq ft light dep, climate controlled commercial greenhouse; with the intentions of having 50K sq ft by the end of 2015. PM me whenever you get 50 posts, or whatever the requirement is to PM other members. There are not as many people doing large light dep greenhouses as I thought there would be when I started looking into it.

I have spoken with a couple of my friends who are also growers here in Denver. It seems everyone has an idea or plan for a GH. I don't post too often but you can email me at coloradogrowerco@gmail.com. I would really like to meet new people in the industry. I love growing indoors, but would love to make the move to GH one day. Or hell just to get a chance to get eyes on a real Commercial GH. I have a few friends in the caregiver game that have some sizable GH's but nothing on the Commercial side of things. Good luck, hope to hear from ya. Later

highcountrygrow

hello all, its been a busy summer up here in the high country. I apologize for not posting anything up to this point but illl bring everyone up to speed on our GHs. This year i was able to fully finish the new GH from last year. We put pea gravel on the floors,12" exhaust fan, dehumidifiers and wall fans. I went with 8 plants in our 11' x 24' in 35 gals. we also made our own tomato cages with chicken wire. 6 blackberry kush/2 bubba kush.
I pretty much only grow early flowering bush's up here for the fall round because we are about 3 wks from harvest with no light dep.
Been working on rebuilding our indoor space with two sealed 9kw de rooms which ill post another thread on. Here is some pictures of our work...

who dat is

Cave Dweller
Veteran
I really like what you are doing with these greenhouses! Is it safe to assume that you are around Ned or somewheres? I used to live up in Summit County and worked all around Grand, Lake, Park, and Eagle counties to name a few. I'm all too familiar with how necessary a greenhouse like that would be to grow year round. Really impressed! Do you have any suggested material like books or websites for a nice how to on making a house like this? I'm pretty handy and like having projects, building stuff, etc. Keep us posted, these are some cool projects :tiphat:

highcountrygrow

I really like what you are doing with these greenhouses! Is it safe to assume that you are around Ned or somewheres? I used to live up in Summit County and worked all around Grand, Lake, Park, and Eagle counties to name a few. I'm all too familiar with how necessary a greenhouse like that would be to grow year round. Really impressed! Do you have any suggested material like books or websites for a nice how to on making a house like this? I'm pretty handy and like having projects, building stuff, etc. Keep us posted, these are some cool projects :tiphat:

Thanks for your interest! I do live in the Nederland area, which as you probably know is one of the windiest places in CO. We can get gusts over a 100mph atlas a few times a year. I designed and built mine to the polycarbonate panels i ordered. So i would recommend getting your plastic and designing the GH to make the panel installation as easy as possible. We did ours using all treated wood b/c of the humidity and set 4" posts 18" in the ground with concrete. set your posts and make sure everything is plumb ( you'll thank yourself later). I just cheated my structure with treated plywood and then lined the inside with 1.5" foam board. throw some gravel on the ground for drainage, cleanliness, and more thermal mass. Run some power out for exhaust, wall fans, dh's, etc.

who dat is

Cave Dweller
Veteran
Thanks for your interest! I do live in the Nederland area, which as you probably know is one of the windiest places in CO. We can get gusts over a 100mph atlas a few times a year. I designed and built mine to the polycarbonate panels i ordered. So i would recommend getting your plastic and designing the GH to make the panel installation as easy as possible. We did ours using all treated wood b/c of the humidity and set 4" posts 18" in the ground with concrete. set your posts and make sure everything is plumb ( you'll thank yourself later). I just cheated my structure with treated plywood and then lined the inside with 1.5" foam board. throw some gravel on the ground for drainage, cleanliness, and more thermal mass. Run some power out for exhaust, wall fans, dh's, etc.

I was wondering about the wall insulation. I could tell you used foamboard on the walls but it's flush with the wall studs. Did you put anything else behind it or did you just use the foamboard on the studs thus leaving an empty wall cavity in there?

Can you go into a bit more detail about the 4" posts? I would think that you would use those if it was going to be raised off the ground but then when you mention the gravel on the floor you make it sound like your "floor" is just the ground itself?

Thanks for the response :yes:

highcountrygrow

I was wondering about the wall insulation. I could tell you used foamboard on the walls but it's flush with the wall studs. Did you put anything else behind it or did you just use the foamboard on the studs thus leaving an empty wall cavity in there?

Can you go into a bit more detail about the 4" posts? I would think that you would use those if it was going to be raised off the ground but then when you mention the gravel on the floor you make it sound like your "floor" is just the ground itself?

Thanks for the response :yes:

Yes i put the foam board flush against the studs to make an air layer between the foam board and plywood sheeting (more insulation value).

Concerning the posts/foundation, we dug holes every 4' around the perimeter and set 4"x4"posts in concrete then framed off that (pretty much just blocked it and put 2"x6" along the top as a header to make sure everything was tied nicely together before putting the roof off and sheating it. I then filled the bottom 2-3" floor with pea gravel. On the other hand, we have built these Gh's without putting posts in the ground and they are so heavy i don't think its really necessary too.

highcountrygrow

just a couple weeks away from pulling down the bubba kush and blackberry kush plants. everything is finishing nicely with all this sun the past couple weeks

T

The_Core

@HighCountryGrow

Sorry if you mentioned it. I did not notice. Do you run your exhaust fan constantly to help replace the co2 and reduce humidity?

Or do you have a cycle you follow? Considering running a greenhouse build similar to yours, I am not sure how to run ventilation and humidity. Your ideas would be appreciated.

You said it was around 8,000 USD to build your greenhouse last year. You mentioned you finished it, what was the total estimated cost?

Do you see any diminished harvest when using a GH that has solid walls and only a translucent roof?

Thanks

highcountrygrow

@HighCountryGrow

Sorry if you mentioned it. I did not notice. Do you run your exhaust fan constantly to help replace the co2 and reduce humidity?

Or do you have a cycle you follow? Considering running a greenhouse build similar to yours, I am not sure how to run ventilation and humidity. Your ideas would be appreciated.

You said it was around 8,000 USD to build your greenhouse last year. You mentioned you finished it, what was the total estimated cost?

Do you see any diminished harvest when using a GH that has solid walls and only a translucent roof?

Thanks

The exhaust fan, a 12" quiet-max fan, that runs on an environmental controller that runs during the day and shuts off for the evenings when the temps get back around 65f. We also have two dehumidifiers that turn on at night to keep humidity below 50%. We built our GH with the solid walls b/c of our elevation, climate, winds, etc. that we have up here in the rocky mountains. but we cleared the trees around the GH so the sun is great. Its usually high enough in the horizon until late october to provide amazing amounts of light with our 300 days of sunlight per year. Hope this answers your questions

Terpz

Looking good, highcountrygrow. Interested to watch you grow through the winter. Thanks for sharing!

T

The_Core

Thanks for answering my questions! So it was 7,000 to 8,000 USD for a 250 Square Foot greenhouse? I could not find the exact size of your greenhouse. You did say 250ftxft

Is that square feet?

Latest posts

Latest posts