What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Colombian Gold from 1972-78...? How was it "made"?

DamnUglyDogE

Learning the rules well,so as to break them effect
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The further from the fence you go..The harder is to find...
Mid grade Mexican has a totally different flavor and buzz than our Med grade smoke..
Great thread..

SMGlover

Hi Folks, Santa Marta Gold is my all time fav even over the amazing stuff today. We used to call it 'yellow' and the smell taste and high was purely the best. There's a market there! I would happily buy some real SMG over the best of today's any day of the week seeds and all. The all time best smoke I had in the 70s was Panama Red. My friends older brother was a roadie for Jonathan Edwards and somehow managed to cop a little. It was serious shit!! So good we thought it was laced. Ecuadorean Red was pretty amazing too. Does anyone remember Congolese Black? Anyway, when I hear people say the pot is so much stronger now, we'll they just never had any of the aforementioned! Really, hope it come around again.

igrowone

Veteran
Hi Folks, Santa Marta Gold is my all time fav even over the amazing stuff today. We used to call it 'yellow' and the smell taste and high was purely the best. There's a market there! I would happily buy some real SMG over the best of today's any day of the week seeds and all. The all time best smoke I had in the 70s was Panama Red. My friends older brother was a roadie for Jonathan Edwards and somehow managed to cop a little. It was serious shit!! So good we thought it was laced. Ecuadorean Red was pretty amazing too. Does anyone remember Congolese Black? Anyway, when I hear people say the pot is so much stronger now, we'll they just never had any of the aforementioned! Really, hope it come around again.

SMG, remember it from the 70's, and it was the best
too few times did i get to enjoy
and i do recall much being said about black african in NYC in the 70's
never had the chance to sample, but it was supposed to be the FIRE of its timegl

IowaLass65

Your very welcome Mr Grimbo, you know the fine Colombians of yester year. I am searching here (in Colombia) for the old strains and its not too easy for me because the only smokers I know are young and really like the Colombian grown "creepy". However I do have my old contact here who I should be meeting up with early next year. He is in Santa Marta now (his family is from near there) and he is going to have some new samples for me from the region. I wish you the best!!!!

Peace from Colombia

Hi,
I was looking around on line for any information on a certain type/strain of herb that used to be around my area back in the late 70s and early 80s and stumbled across this thread and forum.

Colombian gold used to flow through here in large abundance. I have smoked a lot of weed in my yrs on earth but nothing smelled, tasted, or stoned you out like "C.G" of the good old days. We have a local wild plant here (rag weed i think) that reminds me so much of that distinctive heavenly odor of the original Colombian gold of yesteryear.

I used to grow it's off springs and oh my god was they killer plants. Now all these yrs later I have lost the seed line i used to have and am starting over with some seed from some junk Mexican crap. Surprisingly my 1st generation from it turn out well even has a grape look (streaks) and taste to it, but it's still nothing close to what I used to grown off the Colombian gold strain from the old days.

Anyway, i was wondering if you knew what it was called? I been looking around and see some strain called white widow and AK-47 but I don't know exactly what strain, or other older names they might be called, or what older strains they might of been bread from. I remember the old names of yesterday including our beloved gold bud. I would like to know what strain it is now called so i can look around to see if i can find any seeds of it again :)

corky1968

Veteran
Hi Mr. Grimbo, I think and have thought about opening some type of seed and or canna tour business here but I’ve never gotten serous about it because it’s in a gray area with my family down here. I need someone that knows what they’re doing to come down here and help me get something started. Someone that can help me show my family down here that cannabis is not the same as “narco trafficking” and that it could be a good business. The weed is here, the seed is here and I think the potential is enormous and the political mood is perfect to be one of the first (legal) Colombian based canna industries. It’s funny in my dreams I see being the owner of a beautiful high altitude Colombian ranch, where guest from around the world come to enjoy the most wonderful cannabis experience. A ranch where people can come and see and smoke the fine Colombian landrace sativa’s being grown out in their natural habitat. The ranch would provide a safe place for guest to not only have the best sativa in the world (as well as many other strains and extracts) but also a healing experience with the beautiful Colombian culture. The finest Colombian food and people with the best modern accommodations and amenities. I would never have a “dating” service but the ranch would be staffed be very interest local residents to complete the perfect “Colombian experience”. But these are only dreams or really fantasies, a man can dream can’t he?
Peace from Colombia!

That would be wild. Had I the money I would go there now for such an experience. :tiphat:

$20 says every RCMP officer in Canada would be waiting for my return. I can hear them now.

"We know that Corky didn't go down there to buy coffee beans.
The phucking guy doesn't even like coffee. He's planning something
big I jusssssst know it. Keep an eye on those Banana Boats." :laughing:

huligun

Professor Organic Psychology
Veteran
Okay let me say that I lived there during the time, although I was in a different part of the country and really didn't know what was going on illegally elsewhere. My cousins were growers and brokers in the Medellin area and even supplied weed to some well known cocaine smugglers. One of which really loved weed and not coke.

Here is what my cousin (uncle actually but we call each other cousin) told me. BTW He is now almost 70 years old but nobody knows for sure really. He never attended school. He told me about his brokering cannabis from the NE to Medellin in the middle to late 70s. He told me the poor farmers didn't have a place to dry their buds indoors. It was left to dry in the fields and stayed standing until it was cut down for distribution to brokers. It was growing in poor mountainous soil that had to be irrigated in the dry season. It gets cold too. So they just let their plants die and bleach out in the sun due to necessity. The brokers would announce that they would be coming at a set time and the whole family would pile all the trees in a pile on the dirt, and since it was already dry there was little fermentation that exist in the piles. The whole family would take part in processing the buds to sell to the brokers and to his specifications. Essentially making the color a result of near freeze drying in the thin oxygen areas of the tropical highlands

Over time foreigners would come by and offer ideas to increase quality and yield and through that changed the cannabis and ended the golden era. They began using imported seeds and incorporating methods of handling that they felt would increase profit.

Last edited:

Lrus007

Veteran
well i have a colombian gold plant.
i had 4 seeds from a golden bud i had
stashed away. was 1977 or 1978 the bud.
found them 10 or so years ago. out of the
4 one sprouted. i lucked out and is a female.
it dries a green/red when done indoors.
i was told long ago how they made the plants
red or gold. they pound a nail into north side of
stem. then wait 2 weeks to cut the plants down.
so last summer i figured i would try it out.
i needed summer heat. i grew and budded a plant
to be done in early aug indoors. i then pounded a nail
into the stock. photo #1 the plant in photo #2 is 1 week later.
then next is end of week 2 in full sunny days
is photo #3. it is done and red/gold throughout.
photo #4 is a bud close up. so that is one way it is done.
enjoy Lrus007

Attachments

• c1.jpg
    c1.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 52
  • c2.jpg
    c2.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 54
  • c3.jpg
    c3.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 53
  • c4.jpg
    c4.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 51

junior_grower

on the way to the bay are 25 golden bags with cg bx1 seeds .Mother has been with me for over 20 years father came from same big old bag of seed. Still have 2-3k original seeds tucked away on ice and rice. These gals naturally yellow out and produce that golden earthy taste.

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Okay let me say that I lived there during the time, although I was in a different part of the country and really didn't know what was going on illegally elsewhere. My cousins were growers and brokers in the Medellin area and even supplied weed to some well known cocaine smugglers. One of which really loved weed and not coke.

Here is what my cousin (uncle actually but we call each other cousin) told me. BTW He is now almost 70 years old but nobody knows for sure really. He never attended school. He told me about his brokering cannabis from the NE to Medellin in the middle to late 70s. He told me the poor farmers didn't have a place to dry their buds indoors. It was left to dry in the fields and stayed standing until it was cut down for distribution to brokers. It was growing in poor mountainous soil that had to be irrigated in the dry season. It gets cold too. So they just let their plants die and bleach out in the sun due to necessity. The brokers would announce that they would be coming at a set time and the whole family would pile all the trees in a pile on the dirt, and since it was already dry there was little fermentation that exist in the piles. The whole family would take part in processing the buds to sell to the brokers and to his specifications. Essentially making the color a result of near freeze drying in the thin oxygen areas of the tropical highlands

Over time foreigners would come by and offer ideas to increase quality and yield and through that changed the cannabis and ended the golden era. They began using imported seeds and incorporating methods of handling that they felt would increase profit.

I think I believe your story over the nails and such. The CG I had back in 79 was speedy with white seeds. I think they pulled it early and threw it out into the sun to dry. Thus the 'connoisseur' Colombian Gold was born.

I had it twice and did not think it special. The red and green Colombian was just as good and not speedy.

Pablo was the guy that did not do coke and smoked pot oddly enough. I thought pot mellowed you out?:)

DJXX

Veteran
the goldbud i got in 78 to 80...had the blackest seeds ever...never seen any with light colored seeds...and was the perfect high..not sativa speedy if i remember correctly...i also heard the Columbian workers just took wire and wrapped it tightly around the main stem at the base, to cut off the plants nutrition therefore letting it die, dry, and cure without chopping it at the base..DJXX

satva

Veteran
Colombian Gold 1972 - 1978?

Colombian Gold 1972 - 1978?

1972 Colombian Gold was one of the best highs, right up there with Thai Stick, only from Colombia. New York City in 1972 - 1974 Colombian Gold was $3 - $4 per gram, properly cured seedless individual flowers.

Underground Seeds Company (USC) made a 1980 Colombian Gold and crossed it with a 1960's Jamaican Lambsbread, and then back-crossed with 1980 Colombian Gold. This one has the high, not the color.

ColJam is not 1972 - 1978 Colombian gold, but without some developed genetics the 1960's Jamaican Lambsbread would be too wild to grow for most everyone.

USC offers 1972 Colombian Gold seeds, a relatively easy path to 1972 - 1978 Colombian Gold.

There is a gold phenotype in Punto Rojo, similar high to ColJam.

1972 Colombian Gold x C99 a very wild child, hermaphrodite, grows like a vine. Too wild for me to grow. I collected pollen from this male.

The high of 1972 Colombian Gold is the story, not the color. I don't recommend blanching the plant prior to harvest as you'll get amber resin glands, before you get a gold color. Colombians should be harvested when the resin is sticky. Letting Colombian resin turn amber creates a more mellow high, some call it euphoric or narcotic. Mellow + psycedelic in a Colombian is a high often found in 13 week sativa indica - hybrids. I don't like speedy, energetic, or caffeine dominate highs, so I harvest Colombian with some amber.

The worst thing you can do when curing wispy Colombian flower-tops is to remove the leaves and let the flowers dry too quickly.
65 degrees Fahrenheit, 60% humidity. Colorado humidity is often 11% - 20% for weeks. I lay the flowertops in the dark in the basement for a few days then directly into glass. Some leaf on the flowers is typical on Colombian flowers. Best for the trimmed flowers to go into open glass jars as soon as possible.

One harvesting technique that works with Colombians is to harvest from the bottom up, in phases, and using a knife to remove the lower branches, and scraping a thin layer of the dried bark away to expose the green in the stem, remove lower branches, thin layer of bark and flowers up to the point where continuous flower stalks begin. In the next phase of harvest retain as much of the stem as you can. Bending the stem is okay, Keep as much stem as possible for as long as you can during the cure.

Colombian terpenes take a long time to mature. It smoke best after +4 months of cure in glass. I believe Ace Seeds recommends + 5 months for curing long flowering NLD sativas.

Last edited:

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Damn satva, you did it again! You make that CG sound so good. Even when I had it back when and it was not, hehe

I had all of one type of it though. There are supposed to be some real CG beans making their way to seedbay real soon. Might give em a go. USC has been out of CG forever.

huligun

Veteran
I have had the golds and reds or green and prefer the greener variety. I really do think the gold was basically mishandled and because of that it didn't reach it's potential. Colombian Gold was not par with Thaistick that was on the little sticks. Thai cost more because it was noticeably better. One hit shit where Colombian Gold you had to smoke a joint. I had green back in the day that was very good and better than Thai is some ways, but not as strong. Back then all the weed had very distinct varieties in taste and high.

huligun

Veteran
Satva, I grew that USC Col-Jam you were talking about. I grew it for a year and it was still not ready. Ended up just cutting it down and making hash. I will say this, the Hash was unbelievable.

This shot is at 60 days. Never showed a hint of gold.

picture.php

satva

Veteran
Hey huligun,

I was into homegrown, by the time Thai Sticks were readily available in my neighborhood. So, I missed most of the Thai Stick excitement. I never smoked good Colombian Gold from commercial lots.

It not simple finishing a long flowering Colombian or Haze indoors. I grow with a combination of indoor and outdoor. In Colorado, late flower in fall sun and finishing harvest indoors is probably the best. I grow in small pots and its easy to blanch Punto Rojo or ColJam with 85% Fahrenheit - 18 % humidity. I'm flowering Copalita Oaxacan and Copalita Oaxacan x ColJam now with a combination of Colorado sun and supplement indoor.

There is typically a window of harvest when Punto Rojo or ColJam flowers are sticky and resin is clear and cloudy with some white pistils. If you wait until all the pistils turn orange, then you may have missed the peak harvest. If I'm growing seedless, I'll harvest from the bottom up. Bottom up harvest - you can judge the high, instead of just gazing at resin glands. Harvest Punto Rojo or ColJam when you first see amber resin. The resin color varies around the plant.

Any insights about harvesting and curing long flowering NLD sativas is appreciated. My wispy flowers dry for a couple of days and then go into open glass containers ~ 5 months cure.

My best friend in college was a small player in New York City in the late 1960's - mid 1970's. He smoked connoisseur cannabis and hash from around the world. He had a wonderful stash. He loved Colombian and always had six or seven types of Colombian. Thai Stick was the best, but more expensive than exotic primo hash. I loved the charas and hand rubbed hash.

By mid-1970's, connoisseur Colombian was hard to find.

ColJam that's available, I believe is 1980 Colombian Gold x (1980 Colombian Gold x 1960's Jamaican Lambsbread). A Colombian Gold phenotype flowered for +20 weeks, my favorite Cannabiogen Punto Rojo phenotype flowers + 20 weeks. I have three ColJam f2 seedlings, and few Puunto Rojo f2 and Punto Rojo x ColJa and a few Old Timers Haze to select from. One Coljam seedling is similar to Colombian, and two ColJam's are similar to Old Timer's Haze. Old Timer's Haze seedlings don't resemble the Colombians. Since SamS said he started Original haze with three Colombians, I assume SamS Original Haze is similar to Colombian.

My current grow is " Going for the Gold"
CoJam,
Punto Rojo - 1 gold pheno,
Punto Rojo -3 maroon/green pheno,
Punto Rojo (gold) x ColJam,
Old Timer's Haze - gold mother,
Old Timer's Haze - light green mother.

Some folks, harvest green healthy plants and some, let their plants fade. "Going for the Gold" will be harvested green. I won't fade, or blanch this harvest intentionally.

Cheers!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts