What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Colombian Gold from 1972-78...? How was it "made"?

huligun

Professor Organic Psychology
Veteran
The stoniest cannabis I ever smoked was BHO made from some primo bud in Seattle area (Bellingham, to be specific). BHO is some strong shit, but made from bud watch out. I was just learning to use Butane at the time so I was using good buds. It really makes a difference in the BHO with what you start with.

In your pictures Red, those buds in the second shot look awesome. The third veg pic had more of a Sativa look to it than the first. I am really in the market for some worked pure sativa. No Hybrids, just a clone from a winning sat.

Just like everything else out there, the seeds hold a world of diversity. The only real way to get what you want is a clone. But in that case you may get burned out from the same pheno eventually. I suppose the perfect world would be a winning clone of various strains.

Great Thread everyone, it s really getting big. It is the first Colombian thread I have joined up with for various reasons. I share a lot about myself on this site and sometimes I worry if it may blow up on me. I am pretty sure this is the largest canna site online and that can be extremely good or extremely bad.

red rider

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Mas Colombian

Mas Colombian

This pic shows not only the differnce between the two Colombians but also the Gold is not gold at all before the cure. When I asked my Colombian buddy for gold he said there were many light colored strains in Colombia but he felt sure the best came from the Santa Marta region.

Peave from Colombia!

Last edited:

Raco

secretion engineer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Connoisseurs say that the real test for gold is in the buds or clumps, which should reveal a "furriness"—that is, pollen clinging to the flowers and seed bracts.

William Novak circa 1980 :tiphat:

Tom´s Haze :thank you:

View Image

"Colombian" hash...Moños Rojos :peacock:

004-12.jpg

Thx you all for the great info & pics & the kind words :tiphat:

Mr_Grimbo

I have to wonder out loud if I am missing something here... Have any of you who get good weed down there thought about just putting those seeds somewhere where they could be spread around. Don't know much about how the "server fund" works but I would gladly pay 30-50 bucks for a sack of ten to twenty of those healthy seeds, straight out of the chunks of weed you all buy to smoke for yourselves...

Just Sayin' Mr. Grimbo

Bud_Man10

Veteran
Raco, thanks for jogging my memory with that pic...1977, just before Christmas, a buddy of mine had just come back from Jamaica. He brought with him a qp of what was called 'Colombian Pollen' (essentially it was Colombian black hash) in the soles of his shoes. Can't remember if he got it in Jah or picked it up in Cali on his way home. Get this...$40.00/gm. Just googled an inflation calulator...today's cost would be $152.68 !!!! Talk about pricey, but man that stuff was frigging amazing, one of the best draws I ever had in 40+ years of smoking. He decided to keep 50 gm for personal and shake the rest. It was gone in two days!!!!

Peace
BM

red rider

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Story Time

Story Time

Hola todos, beautiful hashish Raco, it has a golden look to it for sure. I read in some of the old HTs they list Colombian hashish prices back in the 70s. I never knowing had or even heard about Colombian hash back then but I’ve seen it here on a rare occasion. It looked and smelled like red Lebanese, soft pliable spicy red goodness. I didn’t even get any of it; I just talked to a guy in a kind of farmers market in Bogota that was burning a chunk of it. He was a younger guy maybe in his early 30s and he didn’t seem to know much about where it came from or how it was made but he assured me that it was a national product. As I was trying to talk to him (my Spanish is bad) I saw a huge sativa plant hanging upside down in the rear of his stall. I asked him if I could look at it and he pulled it down for my inspection, I was about 6ft tall and covered in dense purple buds with visible trichs! I asked him how much for it and he said 5,000, I was shocked because it was a lot of weed. Of course I paid him immediately and then realized I had a problem, how to get this huge plant from the market to the house. My wife was still shopping so I had to think quick and started cutting buds off and putting them into a bag all the while they guy keeps passing the hash pipe to me. It was just too much weed to bag up there in the market and the hash started to make me paranoid really bad, then my wife walks up and sees me standing there with this 6ft plant. To my surprise she’s not pissed and calmly says “just carry it out”. So I do, I throw it over my shoulder and start heading for the distant door. No one seemed to be paying attention to me as I snaked though the crowd and exited the market out on to the street. We found a taxi (I won’t own a car here) and right in front of a couple cops we hop in and roll the window down so the plant can fit into the car. A half hour later we are at her mother’s house and I can comfortably trim the plant for the trip back to our place. It really shocked me that we were able to carry this big plant all the way there without anyone one saying anything, not even the law who didn’t even seem to notice. Anyway I ended up with pounds of very nice purple sativa buds and they were 100% seedless. The buds had a grape like flavor but little or no smell, the high was mellow but nice. The hash guy at the market told me he grew it outside his house in Bogota by itself as the plant came from a seed in one of his joints. It really wasn’t very strong and I ended up making ISO out of most of it. Here are a few pics of it along with some Rojo hash I made. As far as getting seed out, I am planning on doing just that but not for profit but for preservation. At the moment I’ve only got a few Punto Rojo seeds right now and I plan on inbreeding them and sending those seeds off (you’re looking at 6 months once I can grow) but I am hoping that my friend comes back to bring me some other fine samples from the countryside. So I will have some seed soon and go from there but I have no intention of selling them myself.
Peace from Colombia!

Last edited:

huligun

Veteran
I am so seriously jonesing for some high sativa right now. If I had some in the dirt it would be a year lol. Oh Well.. Maybe I can get a haze at the dispensary

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I was to so I started some Jam Blue Mtn...Its been a long time since I di a 16 week strain. I wish I had some CG seeds. This was the best Sativa I have in my Vault. I would love to see some CG grows right now..

G

Godless

Maybe I can get a haze at the dispensary

:laughing:
More like: maybe I can get a 12week SSH cut at 11 without a flush at a dispensary. It will be labeled "top shelf" and will go for $60 an eighth.

Anyway, I have some Seedsman Sugar Haze (SMCGxHaze) in queue - does anyone have experience? I have dug up a couple stray threads, but not much solid info to be found.

bigherb

Veteran
I was to so I started some Jam Blue Mtn...Its been a long time since I di a 16 week strain. I wish I had some CG seeds. This was the best Sativa I have in my Vault. I would love to see some CG grows right now..

Check gage green genetics . I'm not sure if his Cg is still available but I think the C.black is . IME The Cg was official pure sativa ,I'm sure the black is official aswell

1luvbigherb

huligun

Veteran
:laughing:
More like: maybe I can get a 12week SSH cut at 11 without a flush at a dispensary. It will be labeled "top shelf" and will go for $60 an eighth.

Anyway, I have some Seedsman Sugar Haze (SMCGxHaze) in queue - does anyone have experience? I have dug up a couple stray threads, but not much solid info to be found.

Like many other things, the only way to insure you get what you want is to make it yourself. Me, I just cannot commit to a grow right now. I have to travel a lot and need the freedom to go whenever I need to. I have to spend a lot of time in both Oregon and Washington state.

We got some haze last night at the dispensary. It smelled and smoked pretty good. In a pipe the weed held a flame like good hash does. It was $40 eighth.

moondawg

I grew up in Colombia but the first time I ever smoked Colombian Gold was in Florida lol.

I like honesty huligan. Your statement hints of the real columbian weed story and it aint been told in this thread. Let me try and tell the whole story.

I worked for a construction company in florida from 1970 -79, building peirs and docks along florida's southern Gulf coast. I eaned good money, but the real money came from the columbain weed that we fjshed out of the ocean.

Every boat that left venezuala and columbia from 70 -80 had 4X too much weight and way too many people on it. Many a load and boat occupants wound up in the ocean.

You could tell how they climbed up on the groups of bales of columbian red and gold in an effort to get away from the bull sharks and to keep from drowning but it never worked. "Collecting Bodies and Bales" was our business motto. We picked up over 600 lbs of columbian gold in 3 months time in 74 and had to push 17 bodies out of the way to get it. That went on for 6 yrs and its a memmory that has lived with me every day of my life.. We had a 20' pole to push the bodies away but it was hard to do and the bull sharks are very smart and would follow our boat. I prayed for them each one in hopes that it would somehow justify my behavior. It didnt and overtime i became angry about the conflict inside of me. it made me think far less of the people who bought the weed from us. They couldnt have cared less how or where we got it or who died over it. It changed my view of people forever.

We found out in a hurry that if you took a chain saw and cut off about 1' on each side of the bale, the smell of seawater and death was gone and we shipped litterally tons of it up through Georgia and Inst. 95 up the east coast. Heck, we even sold the "piss weed" (thats what it smelled like) that we sawed off!

By the mid to late 70's, some of the old boys slinging bales of c-bo realized that a 55 gallon drum of cocaine from columbia was far more valueable than any boat load of pot could ever be and thats why and what ended the columbian weed into the US.. Those farmers and smugglers started growing and smuggling coke. By 80, there wasnt a single weed boat leaving columbia and every one loaded with cocaine and death.

My memories of Columbian weed aren t as romantic as many others. I can still smell the smell and i worry about what ive done and about meeting my maker.

I am so so sorry for my part and i ask for forgiveness from all. I put money and status over basic human decency and morality.

huligun

Veteran
I like honesty huligan. Your statement hints of the real columbian weed story and it aint been told in this thread. Let me try and tell the whole story.

I worked for a construction company in florida from 1970 -79, building peirs and docks along florida's southern Gulf coast. I eaned good money, but the real money came from the columbain weed that we fjshed out of the ocean.

Every boat that left venezuala and columbia from 70 -80 had 4X too much weight and way too many people on it. Many a load and boat occupants wound up in the ocean.

You could tell how they climbed up on the groups of bales of columbian red and gold in an effort to get away from the bull sharks and to keep from drowning but it never worked. "Collecting Bodies and Bales" was our business motto. We picked up over 600 lbs of columbian gold in 3 months time in 74 and had to push 17 bodies out of the way to get it. That went on for 6 yrs and its a memmory that has lived with me every day of my life.. We had a 20' pole to push the bodies away but it was hard to do and the bull sharks are very smart and would follow our boat. I prayed for them each one in hopes that it would somehow justify my behavior. It didnt and overtime i became angry about the conflict inside of me. it made me think far less of the people who bought the weed from us. They couldnt have cared less how or where we got it or who died over it. It changed my view of people forever.

We found out in a hurry that if you took a chain saw and cut off about 1' on each side of the bale, the smell of seawater and death was gone and we shipped litterally tons of it up through Georgia and Inst. 95 up the east coast. Heck, we even sold the "piss weed" (thats what it smelled like) that we sawed off!

By the mid to late 70's, some of the old boys slinging bales of c-bo realized that a 55 gallon drum of cocaine from columbia was far more valueable than any boat load of pot could ever be and thats why and what ended the columbian weed into the US.. Those farmers and smugglers started growing and smuggling coke. By 80, there wasnt a single weed boat leaving columbia and every one loaded with cocaine and death.

My memories of Columbian weed aren t as romantic as many others. I can still smell the smell and i worry about what ive done and about meeting my maker.

I am so so sorry for my part and i ask for forgiveness from all. I put money and status over basic human decency and morality.

There are a million stories of people cashing in on weed and coke in those days. It really was the glory days as Florida didn't have the resources to protect it's coast. In those days anyone with half a brain could bring anything they want to Florida. And you could clean up the money a lot easier too. Neither of which is a reality today.

I never seen any bales that you could cut with a chainsaw, all I seen were buds stuff in burlap. There were a lot of people smuggling weed and a lot of different ways. It got a lot more organized later, like the early 80s, because of the coke. A lot of people made a lot of money in the early 80s. Not many of them are still alive or walking the streets though. There are still people getting killed over the way they did business in those days. A lot of people were murdered just so they didn't have to be paid. My assumption is that some of those dead bodies were people that were killed once it was time to pay them.

red rider

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I was living between my mother in Texas and my father in West Palm Beach FLA. during the late 70s so I had Colombian weed in both states during that time. I remember getting what was called "seaweed" in WPB and this was supposedly from bales of Colombian weed that had washed ashore from ships that somehow lost their cargo. Colombia has had a violent history way before the drug wars and I’m not a history teacher so no class today but the last I would say 10 years have shown significant improvement in security here. The bottom line is Colombia is very different now than it was back in the 70s and I don’t think there’s any gringo’s involved with the heavy narco trafficking cartels in Colombia now. I could be wrong because I don’t know (and don’t want to) anyone involved in narco trafficking here. All the Colombians I know now are very peaceful, good, happy, trust worthy people. I’m sure if you looked for trouble or acted like a fool you would find it, but I’ve traveled to many parts of this country over the past ten years and never had a problem with the people or the law. However my Colombian wife says I’m lucky but the truth is I’m careful and never forget where I’m at. Even now the Colombian government is negotiating with the FARC to bring an end to the 50 year old conflict that has been ravaging this country. The country’s security and infrastructure has improved to modern standers attracting a huge market for (non narco) international investors. I know this because I live here.
Peace from Colombia!

Mr_Grimbo

I am still wondering when one of you guys is gonna' open this up. Like I said, I would gladly support the "Lumbo Bagweed Seed Company"... 16 weeks, 20 weeks, who cares? The folks that ordered would know exactly what they were getting, no hype, just bagweed seeds we can't get here:)

Mr. Grimbo

red rider

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hi Mr. Grimbo, I think and have thought about opening some type of seed and or canna tour business here but I’ve never gotten serous about it because it’s in a gray area with my family down here. I need someone that knows what they’re doing to come down here and help me get something started. Someone that can help me show my family down here that cannabis is not the same as “narco trafficking” and that it could be a good business. The weed is here, the seed is here and I think the potential is enormous and the political mood is perfect to be one of the first (legal) Colombian based canna industries. It’s funny in my dreams I see being the owner of a beautiful high altitude Colombian ranch, where guest from around the world come to enjoy the most wonderful cannabis experience. A ranch where people can come and see and smoke the fine Colombian landrace sativa’s being grown out in their natural habitat. The ranch would provide a safe place for guest to not only have the best sativa in the world (as well as many other strains and extracts) but also a healing experience with the beautiful Colombian culture. The finest Colombian food and people with the best modern accommodations and amenities. I would never have a “dating” service but the ranch would be staffed be very interest local residents to complete the perfect “Colombian experience”. But these are only dreams or really fantasies, a man can dream can’t he?
Peace from Colombia!

Mr_Grimbo

Hi Mr. Grimbo, I think and have thought about opening some type of seed and or canna tour business here but I’ve never gotten serous about it because it’s in a gray area with my family down here. I need someone that knows what they’re doing to come down here and help me get something started. Someone that can help me show my family down here that cannabis is not the same as “narco trafficking” and that it could be a good business. The weed is here, the seed is here and I think the potential is enormous and the political mood is perfect to be one of the first (legal) Colombian based canna industries. It’s funny in my dreams I see being the owner of a beautiful high altitude Colombian ranch, where guest from around the world come to enjoy the most wonderful cannabis experience. A ranch where people can come and see and smoke the fine Colombian landrace sativa’s being grown out in their natural habitat. The ranch would provide a safe place for guest to not only have the best sativa in the world (as well as many other strains and extracts) but also a healing experience with the beautiful Colombian culture. The finest Colombian food and people with the best modern accommodations and amenities. I would never have a “dating” service but the ranch would be staffed be very interest local residents to complete the perfect “Colombian experience”. But these are only dreams or really fantasies, a man can dream can’t he?
Peace from Colombia!

That would be pretty cool I think, but I could probably never understand the politics of the Country so I don't know.

Personally though I am thinking more of just allowing the local genetics to get out there and be explored. I wouldn't even give the gear names. Just one variety available at the Boo... "Lumbo Bag Weed", period, sell it cheap so everyone can get a pack or two. From what you have all said, the local nug you smoke is heavily seeded, so you and a couple of your buds just save up your seeds from whatever local nugs you are smoking for a while, and find a way to get it to them over in Europe so we can buy them and work them ourselves. There are bound to be lot's of beauties in there that you and your buds will probably never have time to work and preserve...

I don't even think it would hurt your future business on the mountain top, in fact having those genetics out there would bring you a lot of good Karma, build your company a great rep, and a lot of folks would still love to come down and visit the homeland of all those great genetics and meet the folks who made them available... Just sayin'

Mr. Grimbo

huligun

Veteran
I swear I found some Colombian buds in Southern Oregon/Northern California in the hills. The guys called it Old Hippie and it was just like the stuff from the homeland. One guy I know harvested in Late November-Early December. Very fun smoke. Hell, I should head down there and go looking for some about now... Now that I think of it.