What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Collective

Do you believe its important to preserve cannabis bio diversity by reproducing landraces, heirloom ?

• Yes

Votes: 127 98.4%
  • No

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Maybe

Votes: 1 0.8%

• Total voters

acespicoli

Collective focused on saving landraces and Heirlloms plus IBL

1709136150150.png

As threads grow and get longer I like to go back and add table of contents below the first post
apologies to those who are offended by edits after they react, thats why the line is there.

#77 Cannabis Classification

DM or comment below for additions or corrections anyone here may feel relevant :huggg:
1709146303202.png
Political Map of Asia (without the Middle East)

The map shows the largest part of Asia, with surrounding oceans and seas. Asian nations with international borders, national capitals, major cities, and major geographical features like mountain ranges, rivers, and lakes.

point.gif
You are free to use the above map for educational and similar purposes (fair use); please refer to the Nations Online Project.

More about Asia

Area: about 49,700,000 km² (19,189,277 sq mi) it covers about 30 percent of Earth's total land area.
Population: more than 4.6 billion people (in 2020), comprise about 60 percent of the world's population.

The highest point is Sagarmatha (or Chomolungma, also known as Mount Everest) at 8,848m (29,028 ft) on the China–Nepal border.
The largest lakes are the Caspian Sea (salt lake) 371,000 km² (143 250 sq mi), and Ozero Baykal, or Lake Baikal (31,500 km²) in Siberia, is the world's largest freshwater lake by volume.
The longest river is the Yangtze (Yángzî Jiang, or Chang Jiang (simplified Chinese: 长江) in China with a length of 6,380 km (3,964 mi).

The following Asian subregions are depicted on the map:

Angachak Ridge rises above Jack London Lake, Russian Far East

The Angachak Ridge rises above Jack London Lake in the Yagodninsky District, Magadan Region, in Russia's Far East.
Image: Sergei siluyanov

North Asia

North Asia, also Northern Asia, consists of the Russian Federation east of the Ural Mountains: the Ural region, Siberia, and the Russian Far East. North Asia covers an area of 13.1 million km², about 77% of Russia's territory. In the sparsely populated region, four times the size of India, live about 34 million people.

Central Asia

In the modern standard definition, the region is home to the 'stan-countries,' all former Soviet republics, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, and Uzbekistan, some definitions also include Afghanistan. Central Asia has an area of 4 million km² and a population of 73 million. By far the largest country is Kazakhstan (2,724,900 km²). The most populous of all the nations in Central Asia is Uzbekistan (34.2 million inhabitants).

Kag chode, a Buddhist temple in the village of Kagbeni in Mustang, the former Kingdom of Lo, in Nepal.

Kag chode, a Buddhist temple in the village of Kagbeni in Mustang, the former Kingdom of Lo, in Nepal.
Image: Nyoupaneroshan

South Asia

The region of South Asia, or Southern Asia, includes Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, Maldives, Nepal, Pakistan, and Sri Lanka. South Asia is among the world's most populated regions; 1.8 billion people live in an area of more than 5 million km². The country with the largest population is India, with nearly 1.4 billion people.

East Asia

The eastern region of Asia consists of the Asian nations of China (including the special administrative regions of Hong Kong, Macau, and Tibet), Japan, Mongolia, North Korea (Democratic People's Republic of Korea), South Korea (Republic of Korea), and Taiwan (Republic of China). East Asia covers an area of 11.8 million km² (4.5 million sq mi). 1.68 billion people live in East Asia. The most populous country is China, with 1.44 billion inhabitants.

Central Business District of Bangkok, Thailand

The Central Business District of Bangkok at Chao Phraya River. The capital city of Thailand is the nation's cultural and commercial center and a major transportation hub in Southeast Asia. Bang Sue Central Station will be, after completion in June 2021, the largest railway station in Southeast Asia.
Image: kk nationsonline.org

Southeast Asia

Southeast Asia consists of two geographic regions:

I. Mainland Southeast Asia, or the Indochinese peninsula, includes Myanmar (Burma), Thailand, Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia, and Peninsular Malaysia.

II. Maritime Southeast Asia, also known as the Malay Archipelago, includes the world's two largest island countries, Indonesia and the Philippines. There are an estimated 25,000 islands in Maritime Southeast Asia.

The largest islands in the Malay Archipelago by area are New Guinea, Borneo, Sumatra, Sulawesi (Celebes), Java, Luzon, and Mindanao.

The region is also home to India's Andaman and Nicobar Islands, Singapore, Brunei (surrounded by East Malaysia) on the island of Borneo, and East Timor (Timor-Leste) on the island of Timor. Indonesia shares the island of New Guinea with Papua New Guinea.
Southeast Asia has a land area of 4.5 million km²; an estimated 668 million people live in Southeast Asia (in 2020). [1]

Abraj Al Bait overlooking the Great Mosque of Mecca, Saudi Arabia

The government-owned Abraj Al-Bait Tower overlooking the Great Mosque of Mecca in Saudi Arabia, with the Kaaba, the holiest site for Muslims, at the center.
Image: khadim-un-nabi Rao

Western Asia

(see the map of Western Asia and the Middle East)

West Asia, Western Asia, Southwest Asia, Middle East or Near East are all designations for Asia's southwestern territory. West Asia is home to several geographical and historical regions, including Asia Minor or Anatolia (peninsula), the Caucasus region, the Eastern Mediterranean or the Levant, the historical region of Mesopotamia, the Armenian Highlands, the historical region of Syria, the geographical and historical region of Palestine, the Sinai Peninsula, the Arabian Peninsula with the Arabian desert ecoregion, and the Iranian Highlands.
There are 20 independent countries in Western Asia, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Bahrain, Cyprus, the northeastern part of Egypt (Sinai), Georgia, Iran, Iraq, Israel, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Oman, the State of Palestine (Gaza Strip and West Bank), Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Syria, Turkey, the United Arab Emirates, and Yemen.

Western Asia has a land area of about six million km² and is home to 280 million people (in 2020).

Last edited:

420empire

Veteran
Cool, u show a list,.or a link?
First of all What would u consider a landrace, is a introduced strain a landrace after 10 Years? Here i north scandinavia we have strains inbreed for over 50 Years. They are really stabalized and stabil for our climate. They are mostly from lebanon, marroco, Irak, Nepal, and some more modern have been bred in like White widow, blueberry. But the ground pillar of these where imported from the hippies returnning back from trips in the 1960'es and 70'es.
So my q is would be, is OG kush a landrace? Is BSHB, ? Original haze? And what about cookies..? I would say YES! :)

A landrace is a domesticated, locally adapted,[1][2][3] traditional variety[4] of a species of animal or plant that has developed over time, through adaptation to its natural and cultural environment of agriculture and pastoralism, and due to isolation from other populations of the species.[1] Landraces are generally distinguished from cultivars, and from breeds in the standardized sense, although the term landrace breed is sometimes used as distinguished from the term standardized breed when referring to cattle.[5]

Cheers

Last edited:

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The prob is finding pure landrace genetics is difficult. Many of the places that have grown the same genetics got hybridized at some point. After growing for a decade is it a landrace again?. Some places add disclaimers that can't guarantee purity.

acespicoli

The challenge for me is too many "landrace" not enough time sadly.
Everyone definition of strains, purity, hybrid, non hybrid, ibl, heirloom is sure to be different due to opinion and relative perspective.
Domesticated, semi domesticated,... each strain will have its own character

Is it possible to preserve land-race without growing 1000s ?
no apparently not as far as the experts are concerned...

The zoo protects animals from extinction with breeding pairs more than one zoo may have a pair, when possible a area may be restocked
Best one could achieve while having archived examples in a collection

Starting material of several hundred seed is where the bottle neck is and thats the starting point for open pollination
If anyone else has different numbers and ideas fee free to use this thread anyway you seed fit within the ic guidelines
If any things happens you are all the board to continue the good preservation work with respect and dignity new members always welcome
there is no central location for this seedbank thats why its secure

Beside potent fast maturing indica hybrids 20%+ thc for medical use of which these are not landrace just for medical purpose of treating cancer and bone pain etc

Im currently interested in reproducing an line from Assam and one from Pulga
Also a few from kerala not sure which one is the best but maintaining diversity is important
While a undesirable line from a production standpoint, it can be used to introduce hybid vigor into a line with great phenos that becomes too inbred
I expect hermies and some undesirable phenos just part of the landrace game

Many semi domesticates are some type of hybid that is stable NLD WLD interests me less than --
potency
yield
effect
why do you grow?

some plants look different due to environment differences lights etc
time to go renew my medical card glad I remembered, leave this open for any other questions but basically just laid back easy going no drama share
if you have some strains with medical benefits let us know

international guest welcome to comment or post id encourage you to start your own country collective as well
anyone have ditch hemp from usa ?

Lebanizer

Hummmm... let's see that's cool stuff for musing away...

First off,I'm not American, so I'm speaking from a distant perspective.

If the concept of an American (ie USA) landrace is controversial at best, it turns out there's actually a real American landrace and yes that is ditch weed, but it's obviously not what you have in mind.

However, I'd argue that, seen from a distance, American cannabis is really a West coast phenomenon and more specifically Californian and Californian is really Afghan x Mexican. So you could argue that stuff like Orange Bud, Northern Lights (Seattle, no Mexican genes) etc... as the American Landraces. I really don't know what people really grow in their SOIL generation after generation, in the US. Does anybody know ? On the other hand the US is a huge country with many different terroirs so rather than American landraces, it would be more sensible to speak of Californian landrace, North Pacific landrace, Coloradan landrace also maybe and so on and so forth...

PS:
I got confused and thought this was about preserving American landraces ! Sorry for the misunderstanding. Of course it's vital to preserve landraces/heirloom/IBL. At the risk of sounding biased, I would essentially plunder RSC catalog esp Lebanese (obviously), Nanda Devi or anything from Kumaon/Nepal, some Lao stuff, Assam is a great idea too (MAnipuri, Ukhrul) very rare genetic indeed (haven't tried them). I would also include Old Timer's Haze, Destroyer from Cannabiogen, pure Jamaican if you can lay your hands on one. Mexican stuff like Limon verde should be a must. Crazy African lines (including Zamal from Reunion island) should be part of any serious landrace collective too. And voila, that's already quite a task to preserve all of those lines !

Last edited:

acespicoli

RSC has a huge collection
Since I have not asked A. on RSC opinion ???
Of course your first choice to acquire these is from the commercial supplier and support their work
If for some reason its unavailable or is discontinued in their catalog then I would ask A. if RSC would mind if we helped with a public reproduction
Many seed company's have gone and still others collections have suffered contamination, this would be a safe net for those cultivars
Hobby collective not for profit some of these names are used by RSC and may be trademarks of their prospective owners, of course I can respect that
Catalog stock and reproduction of these strains im sure has its expenses and id like to continue contributing to RSC expanding their catalog
Server expenses and fund raisers are nice to be a part of supporting as well

AFGHAN MIX
BALKHI
KERALA
LEBANESE
MANGO THAI
MANIPURI
MAZAR-I-SHARIF (MULTIPLE ASSCENSIONS AVAILABLE)
NANDA DEVI
PAVARTI
RASOLI
TASHKURGAN
KUMAONI
UKHRUL

If you have others please feel free to list with descriptions photos what have you, would be a good catalog for future use.
Also there are many RSC threads feel free to share the url here and make the site more accessible like a wiki of info

Oaxacan, Panama, Colombian Gold,

@Lebanizer
These would be nice to see more of
Destroyer from Cannabiogen, Limon verde ,Zamal

Indeed quite a task :D but since everyone has different flavor preferences it helps distribute the work load and still maintain much of the varieties
of course any free to use seeds and non restricted I have would be left to the collective, and not die with me lost to the community
At one time I had a vast collection and lost everything from collecting for over 20 years and had to start over with nothing, very hard hit
If you ever experienced that I feel for you if not, hope you never do!

Last edited:

Lebanizer

Angus from RSC says that Parvati is probably contaminated with hybrids as there have been reports of broad leaf and skunky terpenes showing up in those plants as retards have been bringing hybrids to Parvati and Kullu valley. Rather I'd suggest focusing on Nepalese accessions.

Also I don't think 1000's of individuals are required to preserve a landrace. I think 100 ones is already quite sufficient and even as low as 25/30 plants in open pollenation should be quite enough to maintain some measure of genetic diversity. Obviously if you can grow 1000 plants it's always better to do so but you get my point.

And yes, alas, so many landraces, so little time, ***siiiiiiiiiigh***

Last edited:

GrandpaMillenial

Hummmm... let's see that's cool stuff for musing away...

First off,I'm not American, so I'm speaking from a distant perspective.

If the concept of an American (ie USA) landrace is controversial at best, it turns out there's actually a real American landrace and yes that is ditch weed, but it's obviously not what you have in mind.

However, I'd argue that, seen from a distance, American cannabis is really a West coast phenomenon and more specifically Californian and Californian is really Afghan x Mexican. So you could argue that stuff like Orange Bud, Northern Lights (Seattle, no Mexican genes) etc... as the American Landraces. I really don't know what people really grow in their SOIL generation after generation, in the US. Does anybody know ? On the other hand the US is a huge country with many different terroirs so rather than American landraces, it would be more sensible to speak of Californian landrace, North Pacific landrace, Coloradan landrace also maybe and so on and so forth...

PS:
I got confused and thought this was about preserving American landraces ! Sorry for the misunderstanding. Of course it's vital to preserve landraces/heirloom/IBL. At the risk of sounding biased, I would essentially plunder RSC catalog esp Lebanese (obviously), Nanda Devi or anything from Kumaon/Nepal, some Lao stuff, Assam is a great idea too (MAnipuri, Ukhrul) very rare genetic indeed (haven't tried them). I would also include Old Timer's Haze, Destroyer from Cannabiogen, pure Jamaican if you can lay your hands on one. Mexican stuff like Limon verde should be a must. Crazy African lines (including Zamal from Reunion island) should be part of any serious landrace collective too. And voila, that's already quite a task to preserve all of those lines !

a yank from the northern USA chiming in.

Im from Michigan and have also lived in Minnesota, both states have a feral population of cannabis that are adapted to the local climate from Hemp. These were old fiber plants.

I went to uni in minnesota and the kids out there told me that some of the wild escapee’s were rumored to have some potency.

This article from a reputable Minnesotan news source confirms the rumors.

I’ve only ever heard mixed reviews from people who smoked “ditch weed”, ocassionaly a plant will have some potency.

“Ditch weed is very tall compared to surrounding plants and also varies significantly in color and shape. Feral weed plants can grow up to nine feet tall and its emerald-green color, coupled with its Christmas tree shape, means it can be spotted from miles away.”

I’ve also heard that, it often times is easy to find as the ditch weed doesn’t change colors in the fall at the same time other plants do, so they stick out in the fall.

But to create your own landrace? You’d want to be first of all growing it outside in the soil. Subjecting a plant to natural and human selection. How many generations? well how stable are F2’s and F3’s? Its hard to find a line of demarcation. If you planted seed successively using seed from previous generations in isolation, completely outdoor and got to an F8, with no new genetics added. I would consider that a good start, but not quite apply the label “landrace”.

Afj617

Where's your seed list? :chin:
Firsthand, I can say that the legitimate Lambs Bread I got my hands on was almost like another substance altogether. This is why I highlighted CLARITY. that Losh Kebab disgusting tasting bud had effects that I struggle to describe. being from Boston my go to was usually sour D, but I have a feeling bud that it tall and takes 14-22 weeks to be ready for harvest is going to start ending up on the Shelves. I’m a professional drummer and I would compare LB to the first Time I heard a James Brown song. My fantasy dispensary would carry the following (for free long as we’re in Fanta land.
Punto Rojo, Santa Marta, Oaxacan, “Zacatecas Tribute” (ace), Some Nepalese Himalayan foothills type, A few of the probably dozens of Amazonians, Chiang Mai, a true Pacific Islander (not that it actually exists but it’s been long enough to have features) Kerala (South Indian) Acheh, The LB, Beldia, Lebanese, Australian Bastard, Swazi, Malawian, Nigeria Osun, a Burmese type thing, Filipino (or three) verious Congolese, The real purple Laotian, legitimite Mazar, Chitrali, The Mastung Blueish “best plant” that ace found in that area, Yazd, Sinai, Blueberry (no clue what it’s origins are), a unique Kush type thing, A few of what’s sprouting around PapuaNewGuiea, The still mysterious “black leaf (not dark purp, but literally black)yellow pistil “Mexican” that I smoked once circa 2002, (age 16-17) and because it is Boston, a re established, researched, gold standard of Sour D, which definitely has east coast roots if not Easstern New England roots. Please add on whatever you would like to see in the store and it will make an appearanc. Bud and Prerolls only. because we need at least one rule. Edibles can be provided for those who are unable or prefer not to breathe in smoke. Imagine the wealth of genetics especially including phenotypes? Many of these strains would be 10-15% THC which people scoff at, and I just pass to them and watch them get ripped.

Last edited:

Afj617

Immediately what came to mind was Ethiopian x Himalayan Nepal x Punto Rojo which would probably create two or three separate strains. That being said, I wouldn’t sell the hybrids in the “store” so as to ensure that not only their genetics (even if backcrossed to imitate) but also the unique experiences that go with them, would be maintained. Guess it would be the New England Cannabis Genealogy Effects Preserve. If anyth it would be nice if strains were named based on something related to Geographic habitat, or included something to give us a hint as to what 32 different unique geno/ pheno we are dealing with. London Pound Mints eg. does have parental names involved but each of them is most likely very similar genetically. One final thhing about the Fantasy Heirloom company is that all strains will be grown with nearly the exact conditions as exist where they “come” from. From make up of the air soil water, to light to air pressure; we got you covered at the NECGEP. (Non existen. I’m a weirdo and have the right to fantasiz.

F2F

“Is it possible to preserve land-race without growing 1000s ?
no apparently not as far as the experts are concerned...”
“Starting material of several hundred seed is where the bottle neck is and thats the starting point for open pollination”
Thought about this over the years. What about a crowdsource approach? Small focused efforts by a handful of people could additively facilitate selection from hundreds or more.

Look at what has been done relatively fast through collaboration between SamS, MadMac, JohnnyChicago, and Golli on OH (hope I didn’t miss any names).

Peace,
F2F

acespicoli

I would like at this point to add a very specific view on "contamination"
if you have 1000s of plants and they are all of one type of local wild land-race that is well adapted and exhibits the historic traits
then you add a handful(100) of non native plants that are not adapted,
what are the chances of the hybrids being dominant and not reverting back to the wild type over time ?

Also how hard is it to breed out the "contamination" ?

Keywords to study, gene swamping

Scientific perspectives genetic pollution​

Use of the term 'genetic pollution' and similar phrases such as genetic deterioration, genetic swamping, genetic takeover, and genetic aggression, are being debated by scientists as many do not find it scientifically appropriate. Rhymer and Simberloff argue that these types of terms:

"...imply either that hybrids are less fit than the parentals, which need not be the case, or that there is an inherent value in "pure" gene pools."[1]
They recommend that gene flow from invasive species be termed genetic mixing since:

" "Mixing" need not be value-laden, and we use it here to denote mixing of gene pools whether or not associated with a decline in fitness."[1]
Patrick Moore has questioned whether the term "genetic pollution" is more political than scientific. The term is considered to arouse emotional feelings towards the subject matter.[48] In an interview he comments:

"If you take a term used quite frequently these days, the term "genetic pollution," otherwise referred to as genetic contamination, it is a propaganda term, not a technical or scientific term. Pollution and contamination are both value judgments. By using the word "genetic" it gives the public the impression that they are talking about something scientific or technical--as if there were such a thing as genes that amount to pollution."[2]
Thus, using the term "genetic pollution" is inherently political. A scientific approach to discussing gene flow between introduced and native species would be to use terms like genetic mixing or gene flow. Such mixing can definitely have negative consequences on the fitness of native populations, so it is important not to minimize the risk. However, because genetic mixing can also lead to fitness recovery in cases that could be described as "genetic rescue", it is important to distinguish that just mixing genes from introduced into native populations can lead to variable outcomes for the fitness of native populations.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In Contrast

Genetic rescue​

Genetic rescue is seen as a mitigation strategy designed to restore genetic diversity and reduce extinction risks in small, isolated and frequently inbred populations.[1] It is largely implemented through translocation, a type of demographic rescue and technical migration that adds individuals to a population to prevent its potential extinction. This demographic rescue may be similar to genetic rescue, as each increase population size and/or fitness. This overlap in meaning has led some researchers to consider a more detailed definition for each type of rescue that details 'assessment and documentation of pre- and post-translocation genetic ancestry'.[1] Not every example of genetic rescue is clearly successful and the current definition of genetic rescue does not mandate that the process result in a 'successful' outcome. Despite an ambiguous definition, genetic rescue is viewed positively, with many perceived successes.[2]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~​

More investigation and posts on this subject are welcome :)

Last edited:

420empire

Veteran
I got my claws into some "original" americano seeds... Harti did a cross. It´s quite interesting, so maybe this could be a direction to go?

Cookie Wreck x New Mexico Land Grant

RIP dedication project to my best friend and right arm, Cory, AKA HARD CORE, we rode first chair together for 10 years, met showing up an hour before anyone else to ski each day. Living the life we choose with Excellence. This excerpt from his Obituary:

Corry John Ehlers
November 29, 1963 – July 21, 2016
Corry was born in Twin Falls, Idaho. The son of John and Marianne Ehlers; and Barbara Mayes-Watkins. Corry was raised in Twin Falls and graduated from Twin Falls High School in 1982. On March 9, 1989,Corry became a proud father to his son Joshua Ehlers-Prince.
On May 21, 2012,Corry went on a day hike up Little Cottonwood Canyon in Alta, Utah and never returned. Investigators searched by air and ground but never found him. Then, three years later, July 21, 2015, hikers found the right boot, with a foot bone in the boot, and other skeletal remains were found by Law Enforcement. On November 21, 2015, another hiker found his other left boot, with the foot bone, and other skeletal remains were found. In June 2016, the remains were positively identified as Corry Ehlers. (DNA forensics)
Corry was an incredible man, a loving son, father, brother, uncle and friend. He was an avid outdoorsman. Corry was very passionate about hiking, snow skiing, water skiing and white water rafting. Corry’s nickname was “Hardcore” that’s how most people knew him; that’s because he never did anything halfway. Corry always lived his life to the very fullest and died doing what he loved.
They actually only found about 10% of his skeletal remains. The mountain and cliffs place name he was hiking is HELLS GATE. I still hike and look for any sign, it’s still there hidden and scattered by time, Avalanches and critters. Cory introduced me to my daughters mother. The least I could do was to immortalize him in a dedicated project. And not just a named strain, but this was bred to grow wild where he went missing, that i might engage ritual cannibalism; that is to say commune when smoking the flowers grown where he reincarnates as such… Anyhow, it’s too harsh right in that zone so nothing grew there (south face cliff at 8to9k)… but it will grow as a feral guerrilla if there is a bit of rain or snow melt and fertile well drained soil.

The process was testing 6 or 7 seed started and stress tested clones i had at high elevation, a spring at 9000 feet was direct planted on its perimeter. These plants mostly thrived, but were perfect moose snacks. All of the test cuts produced well in the summer and began to flower but only the Cookie Wreck survived the snow / thaw / deep freeze early autumn high elevation harshness to produce a smokeable flower after all the pressure. This was repeated a second summer at a few sheltered forest clearing locations above 8500. Cory was hiking up to 10k and his boots were found at 8k… the locality of the feral guerrilla sacred garden plot is about 5500 where it thrives from snow melt summer T Storms and sunshine, nothing else.

The only choice for this particular project’s Stud source was the 1700 old Spanish Land Grant AKA New Mexico Land Grant. Aka the Garcia Fernando. This genetic is I assert to be THE ONLY NORTH AMERICAN LANDRACE that is not feral ditch weed. Originating form an area settled by Spanish explorers and Fransiscan friars by the end of 1500s, a real of Ranchos and Chapels well established by early 1600s, Fur trappers over wintered in the area long before the King of Spain signed the Land Grants in 1700. The Friars robes were spun hemp, ropes, protein seed for the Ranchos and of course it came over on the Barkos / ships whose sailors all well understood the medicine values of “burning the Rope” as smoking a joint was known at sea in times before. This burning of rope is in fact my first introduction to medical cannabis, another story another time.

Over time the very adaptable Cannabis plant went feral in the southern Rockies panhandle where the Spanish Ranchos farmed it for needs. The plants spread over the range of ridges, Arroyos and hills. Eventually over the more than 300 or even 400 years of feral adaptation it became a new endemic, just as it does every where it is allowed to flourish and adapt to its epigenetic influences, separated from the rest of the genetic population it becomes and Island Endemic, a Landrace with qualities all its own adapted to the land and climate it lives in.

When Nixon declared a national eradication program in the early 1970s as part of his initial War on Drugs, the then current Don of the land grant, inherited from father to son for generations said “fuck that” and refused the order. The rest of the local landowners complied with the federal mandate and engaged the eradication program. Leaving only the island of plants found on the Rancho of GARCIA FERNANDO ( i really need to check to be certain, it might be Ferdinando) but i’m certain it is GF and not FG…

Any how… when I was running the Land Race Traders Club on Facebook, the current Don, grandson to Garcia posted up that he had this genetic to trade, which i jumped on and sent him BOGD seed, and proceeded to instruct him on how to go about culling males on the mountain to improve the overall stand while keeping it an open pollinated wild stock. When i asked about how it grew…

“It can be found at all elevations from the valley to the ridges, it grows on open rocky ground. In wet years it is everywhere, on dry years it is only found in the arroyos and deep rills and ruts on the hill sides, my grandfather told me when i asked where it came from “It is old, it was old when i was young” “it smokes good” was one of the last things he told me about it. He pulled his offer to trade quickly as an unscrupulous operator took advantage and did not return a trade, and it happens that I may be the only person beside the land owner to have this genetic. I have grown it out to great delight. A potent classic sativa up head, pungent skunk and gas with a stout thick stem and some solid flowers covered in frost… not so frosty as a poly hybrid, but it does the job when garden grown… and it’s a true skunk!!!! The proof in the hybrid smoke as well… (this land race has a slight intersex issue that i have always wanted to breed out into an IBL presentation but also wanted to give the owner of the genetic time to do what he pleases with it and his prerogative, as its been over 5 years now ill be getting to letting some of that out some time ,, but its in this THC and Breath of Turquise Dragon for now..

So the Pitch was made and f1 seed grown out in greenhouse, F2 seed was broadcast by the thousands onto the side of the mountain. Most places it missed due to harsh dry and cold, but the sweet spot I found produced plants up to 8 feet tall, dense flowers and big colas with zero inputs. The open pollination of the feral guerrilla allowed for more adaptation and produced about 10 pounds of seed, these have been grown out again in the same locality as well as distributed widely for the use in both indoor and outdoor dry farm grow and breed ops. Plants can range from semi lanky sativa form to classic indica. It has the diversity to adapt to your location, the strong genetic base of the NMLG for dropping a tap root into harsh soil with no water, and the advanced medical aspects of the cookies/train wreck to find what works for your situation.

I think the best smoke report I have for the Hard Core is the night the ski lodge opened early/ pre season and there was a blizzard blowing, dumping and whipping the storm raged and a buddy stepped out with me to burn a doobie. As we puffed in the raging storm in the little nook smokers go besides the great stone chimney and far enough from the main door for not blowing back in…. Other folks started to timidly peek around the stonebulk of the chimney… then a few more and were like .. “Hey.. Whats up!?” and they replied,, oh, we were looking to be sure it wasn’t a real skunk in the smoke spot… then the lodge Manager burst out the front door yelling at us that we had skunk stank the entire lodge .. mind you the the pinyon burning in three separate open hearths, and the half dozen cigarettes to a third stick of The Hard Core…

Bless.

Kidete

Landrace Collective in the USA focused on saving landraces and Heirlloms plus IBL
Which IBL landrace strains from Africa do you have in the collection? I have travelled across East African countries collecting a variety of potent landrace sativas such as Ethiopian Shashamane Sativa and Kilimanjaro sativa from northern Tanzania. You can see them on my blog - eastafricagenes

Here's a photo of an eight-week old Ethiopian Shashamane sativa plant that I'm hoping to harvest in mid-September

Attachments

• Eight Week Old Shashamane sativa .JPG
    Eight Week Old Shashamane sativa .JPG
    110.9 KB · Views: 69

acespicoli

HI, @Kidete
Just Malawi at the moment, I was looking into Ethiopia and Swazi strains
I had checked out your insta and blog previously
Appreciate you taking time to reach out :huggg:

Be looking forward to more pictures of this,
Ethiopian Shashamane sativa plant
:plant grow: