What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Coco in an Ikea Cab

repuk

Altruistic Hazeist
Veteran
petemoss said:
Two of my LUI clones showed white hairs in the second week of flower. But after a couple of days, male flowers appeared also! - hermies. So you need to recheck periodically to make sure the "females" stay 100%female!

Were those clones from a known female?? So even if the mother was a female could hermies appear in its following clone generations?

petemoss

repuk said:
Were those clones from a known female?? So even if the mother was a female could hermies appear in its following clone generations?

The clones showed female hairs at several nodes, then the balls appeared on the other side of the same node as hairs. A known female can hermie due to light leaks during the dark period. Some phenos may be genetically predisposed. Luckily I had many mothers to choose from and could ditch any that hermied.
I was pretty careful about light leaks and that's the first time I got faked out by hairs.

repuk

Altruistic Hazeist
Veteran
I will keep an eye on my sadhus... I thought indicas were faster in flower than sativas, but my sadhus are the least developed (can't see too many hairs) of my flowering girls...

repuk

Altruistic Hazeist
Veteran
Just noticed yesterday I didn't take a clone from the fastest and biggest Kalichakra :spank:

(the center one at the tent back, had to suprecrop her 5 times to stop her stretch) So I did, from the very bottom, hopefully I'll have luck and get 'em to root...

Hi, here's a pic, 3rd week in flower:
62820flower3d.jpg

for comparison sake, 10 days ago:

62820MG_1837.jpg

Last edited:

repuk

Altruistic Hazeist
Veteran
thanks TB4U!!

Update: Kali Mist #2 was a male (and the most stinkiest one I had even in veg), so it was culled...

these were his early preflowers:

62820K2pre.jpg

62820K2prezoom.jpg

Last night seeded a batch of 4 Serious Seeds Bubblegum.

repuk

Altruistic Hazeist
Veteran
Kali Mist #1 was a male, so I culled it also...

Have 2 somangos from seed that are finally taking off, another 2 Kali Mists that are growing fast, and seeded 4 Serious Seeds BubbleGum, 3 of them seem to be sprouting fast...

repuk

Altruistic Hazeist
Veteran
ThisBuds4You said:
Are you going to make seeds at all or just grow from clones and re-order when needed?

Hi ThisBuds4You!

I'd like to be able to keep males but just don't have the room to keep them.

I cut clones of all my plants, and discard male plants & clones once they show sex.

With the female clones I'm making bonsais, once I harvest I will keep only select mothers from those bonsais depending on plant traits (nute sensitivity, vigor, strength, yield, aroma, potency) from each strain if I feel the strain is worth a keeper for me and either flower or discard the non selected bonsais.

I intend to try rodelization also to get some pollen and do some crosses and S1's from my favourite females in following batches, with the added benefit of 99% further females from those seeds... without the need of keeping males.

I also want to try some other strains, like LUI, SAD, Cream Caramel, NYCD, something from the Blue family...

Update: I feeded the girls with guano (guanokalong, doesn't smell) tea (just the tea, not A+B) ala Soma style, gonna feed them twice per week with this tea (50gr guano dissolved in 1L then 1/4L per 10L of water) in weeks 4th (this one) to 8th, adding Atami Flavor (molasses, mostly K) from the 6th. The EC is very low, about 0.35 (the tap water is 0.27). The other days I feed just A+B and just water one day per week.

I think 8 plants from seed is too much for my flower tent (1sq meter). Next time I will put just 6 if they're from seed or clones with a week max of veg time.

Here's a pic in week 4th, thought just 5 days difference from the previous one.

The HPS has been raised, is at its maximum top position... check the tent openings in the walls to have a relative height reference, the Kalichakras are just plain crazy to keep under control. The shots are made from the same angle & perspective.

62820MG_1900.jpg

Last edited:

repuk

Altruistic Hazeist
Veteran
Will take some pics tonight when lights come on. Took some holidays and I'm being lazy :)

repuk

Altruistic Hazeist
Veteran
Here they are in their 7th week into flower:

62820flower7th.jpg

I've been feeding twice a week with guanokalong tea (50gr into 25L water) in adittion to B'Cuzz A+B @ 1ml per L. Once a week with just PH'ed water + Hesi PowerZyme. Never fed more than EC 1.6.

From this week until flush time I'm throwing Atami Flavor in the tea also (molasses), @1ml per L as they looked (specially the Kalichakras) like they need more food.

The Skunk Express won't be big yielders, but their nugs are huge and rock hard, lots of brown pistils already, the breeders say some are ready in 55 days... will buy a loupe and check them daily once they reach 50 days. One has a spearmint smell, the other one a dankish roasted cofee + mint...

The Kalichakras #3 (farer left) & #1 (nearer right) with fatter, more indica leaves look like the bigger yielders. They also look like need less food, while the more thinner leaves, sativa ones, (#2 farer center & #5 farer right) show more yelowish leaves. Those two fox-tailed a lot.

It's not seen in the pic but topmost 2-3 inches of Kalichakra 2 aren't seen as they`re behind the HPS. It developed a cone-like cola, but isn't as dense/homogeneus/heavy as the more indicas.

Regarding the Sadhus, Sadhu 3 (nearer center) leans due to the weight and look to be a moderate yielder. Sadhu 1, the dwarf-like one won't yield too much. This plant need very little food and water... unless its high or aroma is something special I won't be keeping it for sure...

The more indica kalichakras and sadhus smells are very very similar, citrusy-tropical smell. The more sativas don't smell much at the time. The real stinkers are the skunks...

Meanwhile I'm making bonsai-mums from the clones of each of these, and (lack of space) also with 2 somangos, 2 Kali Mists and 4 bubblegums. I'm taking clones of these, will keep the seed plants as bonsai mums if they turn to be girls, and will make the next crop from clones of these.

December has been very rainy here and humidity has been a problem to keep in check... it peaked to 90% sometimes :(

I have put a couple Sodium Chlorate humidity traps and a small dehumidifier, as everything is so tight in there a regular one won't fit. The whole setup managed to lower humnidity to only by a 20% but looks in the latest days is keeping a steady 45-55% RH.

If humidity raises again I may put a full-blown dehumidifier outside, dunno if that will help...

Last edited:

icough2getoff

Those girls have really blown up! :canabis:

"One has a spearmint smell, the other one a dankish roasted cofee + mint..."
Damn now those sound like interesting smells. I'm going to have to get me one of these dankish coffee weeds one of these days.

I just bought myself a dehumidifier to fight humidity too. Luckily I didn't find any mold on my BMR harvest but I found some today on one of my white russian girls I keep in a spare closet :mad:

Sounds like you've got them figured out and next run with clones should be even more beautiful :rasta:

repuk

Altruistic Hazeist
Veteran
icough2getoff, they certainly feel poisonous!!, though yielded very little, and there's nothing Express to them, they are a month older than the rest... unless there's something special with them I won't keep them.

bonecarver_og, speaking of kolas, let me introduce my girls :D

Kalichakra #1, and #5, look like the most yielding ones, also more on the indica side. I specially like them as they grew without issues, and always sported a very healthy appearance:

The kolas girth are slightly larger than a beer can, the area pictured is about 12in tall:

Kalichakra #1
62820Kalichakra1.jpg

Kalichakra #5
62820Kalichakra5.jpg

Kalichakra #2 is the most sativa one, Kalichakra #3 is also on the sativa side. They have an airy christmas tree structure, couldn't say if they'll yield more than #1 , kola dimensions are similar, though more "airy":

Kalichakra #2
62820Kalichakra2.jpg

Kalichakra #3
62820Kalichakra3.jpg

Sadhu #3 is the one I think will win in yield. I have to string it and hold it by the top kola when moving it (not even by the middle!) or the stem will break, a lot of weight is felt!

62820Sadhu3.jpg

Sadhu #1 is a very squat plant, half the height of the rest and plenty of very fat fingered leaves that make impossible to see the nugs, it won't yield very much judging by the looks (though this is my first grow). It has a more skunky tone to its smell and is the most trich coated of the bunch. Didn't get a pic of it as there isn't much to be seen.

Have yet to weight and taste them, but to date love Mandala's, very vigorous growth, very easy to caretake.

They have a pale green colour and fan leaves are yellowing (the whole leaf). I suppose this goes with the strain, I am rarely giving them more than EC 1.6, and even see some claw leaves, so guess it's part of the strain maturity stage.

The Skunk Express are very different, very dark green color, the smallest one (#1) leaves have very thin airy fingered leaves, which are dark/light green colored, isn't serrated and the leaves look and feel like plastic to the touch, it smells like spearmint.

#2 green is uniformly dark green, leaves feel more rough to the touch, is the one that smells like mint & roasted coffee.

Both have huge calixes, grouped in very hard n' tight nugs:

Skunk #1
62820SkunkX1.jpg

Skunk #2
62820SkunkX2.jpg

I made bonsais from seeds from 2 Kali Mists, 2 Somangos and 4 Bubblegum (Serious) and took clones, have built a transparent lexan jig to put the clones to flower in the growtent side where they won't block light to the bigger sisters, and put the rooted clones there to sex them.

The next (and last in this year) crop will be hopefully from clones of the girls in these, though I won't let them veg for too long, and maybe try a bigger 12 or 16 plant density, i.e. 4 clones of Somango, 4 Kali Mists, 4 bubblegums, etc.

bonecarver_og, your cloning method is working 100% for me, I had to cull clones & bonsais (I always cut a couple from each plant) because I ran out of space... I even put plants over the cloning rubbermaid that obstruct more light to the clones rooting, haven't noticed a single issue with that.

Last edited:
B

bonecarver_OG

bonecarver_og, your cloning method is working 100% for me, I had to cull clones & bonsais (I always cut a couple from each plant) because I ran out of space... I even put plants over the cloning rubbermaid that obstruct more light to the clones rooting, haven't noticed a single issue with that.

hehe awesome :D glad it works for u too :D

low light intensity is the key :D i seriously use only one 18W fluoro tube for rooting around 30 or more clones. as long as the babies are at a nice temp/humidity they will root in no time :D

peace :D

repuk

Altruistic Hazeist
Veteran
hehe awesome :D glad it works for u too :D

low light intensity is the key :D i seriously use only one 18W fluoro tube for rooting around 30 or more clones. as long as the babies are at a nice temp/humidity they will root in no time :D

peace :D

bonecarver_og, how do you estimate harvesting time? I know by day count that harvest time is approaching, (should they be harvested when there's 15%-20% of amber trichs?), but how to tell in advance in order to flush them? by brown hair count? what tell-tale signs do you look to judge?

B

bonecarver_OG

the thing about amber trichs is a myth that still lives on.. its from comercial grow practise and really it works against potency and flavour...

flushing is a one week thing at max working with coco - so its not my main worry - manny times i just cut down nute dosage the last few weeks - and the only flush is a watering with pure water maybe a day or two before cut. i use low nute doses in general all way thru the life of the plant.

so really - trial and error is the only way to find out with a new strain - but generally i think the prime moment is a few weeks before the plant dies.

trich colour is VERY missleading since many strains dont even get to get "amber" trichs. some only get to a "milky" stage.

basicly when it looks like the VITALY and life of the plant is just about to start going down - and normally this is when the plants are opening fewer and fewer new hairs on a daily basis. hard to say exactly.. :D

anyway - in general all harvest windows are pretty wide - and it all depends on your preference. a strain harvested too late looses most of its "rush" and gets more stony.
a pure indica doesnt improve from getting over mature either.

so hehe :D u see there is not really any way to simplify without generalizing.

peace mate :D

repuk

Altruistic Hazeist
Veteran
I noticed these two aren't shooting much hairs, and most are brown or simply not seen in case of #1?? amber Trich seems to be a very small percent, like 5% or so.

As images are worth a thousand words, I will post some macros.

Please excuse the shabby work, I should have switched off the fan and use a tripod and stop down, (that's why the shots aren't sharp, due to movement and lack of DOF) but at 3am I just wanted to try to see the trichs after caretaking them and go to bed.

Skunk Express #2 top Nug

62820SkunkX2-macro1.jpg

50% crop
62820SkunkX2-macro.jpg

100% Crop
62820SkunkX2-Crop.jpg

Skunk Express #1 top Nug
62820SkunkX1-macro.jpg

Skunk Express #1 top Nug, 100% Crop
62820SkunkX1-macro-crop.jpg