What's new

Coco Hempy style.

turbolaser4528

Veteran
anything else we can use besides perlite? I was thinking maybe cocotek coco mat stacked 3" high at the bottom instead?

maybe cocochips? ahhhhh idk

yo hempy, what do you think about drilling holes in the sides of the hempy for more airflow to rootzone, and lower root temps? lmk playa

Lowman

anything else we can use besides perlite? I was thinking maybe cocotek coco mat stacked 3" high at the bottom instead?

You can just use straight coco chunks(croutons) or even coir in the rez. I have some with perlite and lava rocks in the rez...and some with nothin but the regular mix of chunks and coir from top to bottom of the hempy. I think the ones without the perlite and lava rocks actually work better.

turbolaser4528;3490101yo hempy said:
Not needed. I have some outside that get a hell of a lot hotter than my indoor ones during the hot summer days. Not a problem. You are adding fresh water every two days....everything starts fresh every two days.

Mediums I've used in Hempy's

100% Perlite - Works Great, did not like cleaning and recycling it though. Eventually cased with 1" of Expanded Clay Pellets (ECP's)to keep the top inch or so dry.

1:1 perlite:coir - Works fine, did not like cleaning up after the cycle and felt it retained a little to much moisture. ECP's from bottom to top of drain helped with the moisture retention issues.

1:1:1:1:1 perlite:coir:ECP's:EarthWormCastings:BioChar - Works fine, but is not worth the extra effort IMHO. pretty much a pain in the ass and a serious falling of the KISS wagon.

100% EPC's - Works Great, clean up and recycling are both for the win. The only small negative with this is that the buckets go from almost dry to over dry in an instant it seems I water every other day or about twice as often as with 100% perlite but my water usage is about the same maybe a little more. Something to do with perlite holding a little more water above the drain level than ECP's.

I'm sure that there are a few other mediums that would work well. IMHO one of the things I think makes the most difference is setting your medium up in a manner that creates as little wicking as possible. You want the medium to be able to have a definite water table as defined by the drain hole and plant uptake.

So when I'm going to be able to water every other day I go 100% ECP's. If I'm going to need to be out of the house for more than a couple of days I go with the 100% perlite cased with EPC's, as these can go 4-6 days with out watering depending upon the plant's size and room temps etc..

TFD

superbolan

Im all for riding shotgun on that KISS bandwagon. I'm doing the coir with perlite in the bottom and the ability to leave for two or three days without watering is a real timesaver. I started with conventional hydro, then organic soil. now coco hempys and this a perfect fit for my needs. growth like hydro with ease of soil.

Im all for riding shotgun on that KISS bandwagon. I'm doing the coir with perlite in the bottom and the ability to leave for two or three days without watering is a real timesaver. I started with conventional hydro, then organic soil. now coco hempys and this a perfect fit for my needs. growth like hydro with ease of soil.

Hempy's plus a lucas formula nutrient profile is as KISS as it gets. My h202 starts at general hardness of 78 ppm and 6ph 15ml:5ml:2.5ml - Pure Blend Pro Bloom:MagiCal:Hydroplex per gal and its smooth sailing.

TFD

madalasatori

Veteran
DALAI HEMPY - HAVE YOU FOUND THE HEMPY'S WITH COCO YIELD BETTER THAN YOUR ORIGINAL PERLITE/VERMICULITE MIX?

Really sorry to shout but I've asked the question twice in this thread - just trying to get ya attention!

Cheers mate :)

shroomyshroom

Doing what we do because we are who we are
Veteran
DALAI HEMPY - HAVE YOU FOUND THE HEMPY'S WITH COCO YIELD BETTER THAN YOUR ORIGINAL PERLITE/VERMICULITE MIX?

Really sorry to shout but I've asked the question twice in this thread - just trying to get ya attention!

Cheers mate :)

agreed would also like to know :D

D

Dalaihempy

hi all well i find yield is close i got 22 oz cured from that mango haze f2 but the difference i have noticed with using coco comes after cure the difference i found is the flowers growing in coco tend to cure to a more oily wet resiny finish to other hydro mediums were they tend to be a lot dryer.

usda101

Thats it will add a few pics threw the grow and will answear any question if you have any but think its simple inuf to follow take cear.
HEMP ALL PRAISE IS DO . I take that back cause i told myself i wouldnt be like everyone else an enjoy paying homage to a legend but since i already did it ,best ass i ever kissed . LOL . YOUR AN INSPIRATION HEMP AN THE GIFT THAT KEEPS ON GIVING ,SIMPLICITY AT IT'S BEST ,WAT WUD US NEWBS DO WITHOUT YOU? SENDING GOOD VIBES YOUR WAY MAN.

usda101

Sure, here's some recent harvest shots, grown in 4 gal hempy buckets, vegged 4 weeks, flowered under vert 600w hps, 4 zips per. coco/perlite 70/30, chunky perlite in bottom 2-3"

I felt the buds couldv'e been larger as I've been working with the same bubblegum pheno for a few years now in hydro/soil/coco, more o2 would have helped, this I know.

Yeah, a grip on my c*ck apparently :tiphat:

id love to see them, how well are you yielding? watering schedule? I'm always open to new things, prove to me that I cant make hempy's yield better and ill mail you a certified check, hows that?

Hey good for you man, I never said they needed altering, I am choosing to alter them. Not because I don't think they work, but because I want to try and improve the yield/growth rates out of them, OKAY?! God damn its getting rediculous around here, guy cant even make a simple suggestion without getting ridiculed..
Trying to improve the quality of anything,can't be a bad thing .

2-COOH

I bet those flying insects are originating from the standing water in the "reservoir" area of the bucket. I never had any insects sprout from coco, using the bricks. The area im in, with more gnats:people ratio, ANY standing water, unfortunately is totally undoable.
OK... those mangoes are A-MAZING! Hempy, how many watts you had on those girls to achieve that?? Can only see 1 400w in the pics???
Please post some nice close dry pics of the mangoes Hempy!
Nice thread, great info.

Apache123

Excellent! Thank you so much! I am running Hempy style COCO in 15gallon pots with vert lighting and they are huge bushes compared to my last soil grow. I need to try the organic way. Thank again

D

Dalaihempy

I bet those flying insects are originating from the standing water in the "reservoir" area of the bucket. I never had any insects sprout from coco, using the bricks. The area im in, with more gnats:people ratio, ANY standing water, unfortunately is totally undoable.
OK... those mangoes are A-MAZING! Hempy, how many watts you had on those girls to achieve that?? Can only see 1 400w in the pics???
Please post some nice close dry pics of the mangoes Hempy!
Nice thread, great info.

hiya 2-COOH well in all the decades i have run the hempy buckets i never saw them up until i first used coco core i at first thort wft and was alarmed then as i relised they did no harm i liked having them in there as its like a mini ego system and reminds me of my out door days.

As soon as the coco core plants are harvested they go and if there is a plant or few left growing in a perlite medium they don't stay there only are around the coco medium.

Hi all well as for yield i normally see around the same yield but my best yield to dates been from coco the difference i have noticed tho is in the cured flowers using coco they tend to be more oily were the same plant grown in other mediums tend to cure a lot more dry and no were as oily sure resiny but i like the feel and look from the coco cured flower more.

D

Dalaihempy

As for watts i run around 30 watts per sq ft i use 2 lights a 600 and a 400 so i get a better more even lite spreed.