What's new

Coco Hempy style.

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
mucho interesting Hempy. wish i could try some of that hazy shit, bet it's an awesome high. so i suppose you water these buckets by hand right? how often do you have to replenish the water in those buckets at this end stage?

KosmoKramer

Bumped

Bumped

I'm a "hempy" newbie and have a few questions. Anyone using straight perlite please feel free to add in!

Instead of coco I'm running straight perlite in 2 gal buckets with no bottom dressing. Watering/feeding every 2 days using the Head/Rez-ipe. Every 2 weeks I flush each bucket with 1 gal water and Flora Kleen to flush out salt build, ect. I do this usually a day or two before the KoolBloom feedings to maximize the effect.

I've read somewhere that using straight perlite can lead to buildup, lockout and pH problems. Any known issues with this problem? Will the flush every 2 weeks keep this at bay or will I eventually have to take the coco plunge?

So far I've seen excellent results, but I have a sensitive BOG BMR pheno and I'm kinda tenative to run her with my current hempy setup.

Ty_Kaycha

I've never heard running straight perlite would lead to those problems. Not really sure how it could. But your every two week flush should take care of any of those problems. The only problem I could see if having to water more often then if you had mixed something else in with the perlite.

Lowman

I'm a "hempy" newbie and have a few questions. Anyone using straight perlite please feel free to add in!

Instead of coco I'm running straight perlite in 2 gal buckets with no bottom dressing. Watering/feeding every 2 days using the Head/Rez-ipe. Every 2 weeks I flush each bucket with 1 gal water and Flora Kleen to flush out salt build, ect. I do this usually a day or two before the KoolBloom feedings to maximize the effect.

I've read somewhere that using straight perlite can lead to buildup, lockout and pH problems. Any known issues with this problem? Will the flush every 2 weeks keep this at bay or will I eventually have to take the coco plunge?

So far I've seen excellent results, but I have a sensitive BOG BMR pheno and I'm kinda tenative to run her with my current hempy setup.

Why not stop flushing unless you see an issue? I remember Hempy's old threads when he grew in straight perlite.....he said...."always feed full strength...never straight water". You are growing in a hydro system....hydro systems don't work well with straight water.

pinkskunk

i never flush my coco hempy with straight water,havnt needed to.
i flood my bucket with fresh nutes whenever the bucket becomes light.. flood til i get bout 1ltr of run off.

hazy

Veteran
attachment.php

nice work hempy. That's a badass bud.

Ever since I read your original thread I've kept a hempy bucket going. Got one going right now. My favorite medium for it is coco/perlite half and half. I never put anything different like pure perlite in the bottom. Works great. For size, I like to use those little Easter buckets. maybe a gallon and a half to two.

Again, that's one giant sativa you got there and it sure looks nice.

Lowman

Can't think of a single hydro system that doesn't flush either weekly, bi-weekly or at least when switching from veg to bloom..

Well now you can think of a single hydro system that doesn't need flushing.

Hempy's do not need to be flushed unless you see problems. I even use the same system outside with huge earth boxes and home made version earth boxes as well. You think I'm gonna flush them out? Haven't had to flush a passive hydro system in 4 years.

Ty_Kaycha

Well now you can think of a single hydro system that doesn't need flushing.

Hempy's do not need to be flushed unless you see problems. I even use the same system outside with huge earth boxes and home made version earth boxes as well. You think I'm gonna flush them out? Haven't had to flush a passive hydro system in 4 years.

I call BS!
Hahaha! Just messing with ya.

Still...that's your choice. You don't have to flush but you can flush. If you're growing outdoors, then nature is doing the flushing for you. If indoors, and you accidentally over nute - are you just going to leave it in there...doubt it. You're going to flush.

Now if you're indoors & go easy with your nutes, then I can see how you don't have to flush. BUT I would bet you still flush the last couple of days/weeks, why because it's hydro & not soil.

On that note - a hempy bucket isn't what most people would consider as being hydro. I know technically it is, as it's not soil and the plant gets it's nutes from the solution given to it. I think it's more like pseudo-soil, and that's probably more accurate then calling it "passive hydro". But it really depends on how you have your hempy bucket setup.

Again can't think of a hydro system that doesn't require flushing at least sometime during it's run.

<steps off soapbox, sweeps it off for the next person...> :)

D

Dalaihempy

I call BS!
Hahaha! Just messing with ya.

Still...that's your choice. You don't have to flush but you can flush. If you're growing outdoors, then nature is doing the flushing for you. If indoors, and you accidentally over nute - are you just going to leave it in there...doubt it. You're going to flush.

Now if you're indoors & go easy with your nutes, then I can see how you don't have to flush. BUT I would bet you still flush the last couple of days/weeks, why because it's hydro & not soil.

On that note - a hempy bucket isn't what most people would consider as being hydro. I know technically it is, as it's not soil and the plant gets it's nutes from the solution given to it. I think it's more like pseudo-soil, and that's probably more accurate then calling it "passive hydro". But it really depends on how you have your hempy bucket setup.

Again can't think of a hydro system that doesn't require flushing at least sometime during it's run.

<steps off soapbox, sweeps it off for the next person...> :)

Well you can call it what ever you like but it is hydro fact is you run mediums with no nutrient value you also feed them with nutrient mixed water.

I don't flush until i am ready to harvest i have read a person claim you need to because of salt build up and more well sorry that's crap if your running organics then yes you don't need to feed them daily as the organic nutrients need days to brake down so the plant can take the nutrients up threw its root system and when i say organic nutrients i mean 100% organic nutrients not a mix of hydro nutrients and organic nutrients but thinking they may need a water feed here and there to so the organic part of the feed gets time to brake down but never used a nutrient like that so not completely sure on the organic and hydro nutrient mix some sell and call organic hydro nutrients.

I tend to run sativas and sativa heavy lines now even indica lines if i was to miss a nutrient feeding and only feed them with water the next day i will find the plant looking different it could have leaf tip burn or even look a liter green fact is unless you feed your plants there not going to get any nutrients.

I am honestly amazed at some people i past on a simple affective method of growing i have used for decades i my self came up with i have given the most simple of instructions and posted pictures of plant after plant of many different strains and yet it seams years later i read people feeding there plants only water for weeks and other things yet they then ask why are there plants ill or unhealthy i cant understand it.

Those that in fact took what i have sed and understood the basic of instructions are achieving great results and are more than happy growers that were once using many different methods now use this.

The bull shit i read from some people amazes me coco needs to remain wet coco should not get dry perlite will build up salts the hempy this or that look at the pictures of my plants pictures don't lie people lie rember that.

I have threw the years had many newbie growers tell me how happy they are because they can grow good healthy plants with little effort now if newbies can do it whats that tell some of the others that lay claim to be growers having dramas ? tells me they have not followed basic info and have done what they feel is right.

I blame a set few for all the confused info using the method i past on others named the hempy bucket i am far from happy about it or are others that had grows even fail as a result of these people all i can do if help if i am asked and all i do.

In my most humble of opinions flushing is a necessity of over feeding. For instance,I'm running PBPB at 15ml per gallon with 5ml MagiCal and 2ml of Hydroplex for my flowering Hempy's. My growth rates are just as good if not better than when I was using the full doses and more additives.

I'm also advocating the don't mess with a good thing. Follow the original instructions for great results. The fact of the matter is that if you control the environment, execute the original hempy method you'll be flowering for the win.

TFD

Lowman

I am honestly amazed at some people i past on a simple affective method of growing i have used for decades i my self came up with i have given the most simple of instructions and posted pictures of plant after plant of many different strains and yet it seams years later i read people feeding there plants only water for weeks and other things yet they then ask why are there plants ill or unhealthy i cant understand it.

It truly is amazing how some people think! It is the most simple, proven system I can think of.

Lowman

My outside boxes have covers over them to prevent rain flushes.

Not to flog a dead horse....

I call it passive hydro because you are using a reservoir....without pumps or drippers or any other power driven device. Hence....passive hydro.

Latest posts

Latest posts