What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Co2 kill flavor an smell?

hambre

That's not a very smart reply lol.. I guess we view learned experience very differently.. You don't need to know me. It's clear more people today want to argue about shit that has nothing to do with them. Once you get to 70 I'm sure you will have learned more than you know now, or maybe not lol. I't ain't worth my time to teach chads were to put it. I'm not here to argue. . Lots of decades of my cannabis growing journey have been documented here at ICMAG. Many thousands of images have been uploaded here, I think my image library is the most extensive on this site. No way for me to verify that. I'll share my experience and knowledge. People can choose to use it or not.

Lots of people are familiar with my work. Just because you don't is on you.
picture.php

2014 LA HT cup 1st place hybrid flower GG#4
View attachment 18750762
Peace
HHG
Again, I don`t care about your 40+ years, I don`t wanna know you, I don`t care about your career, your thousands of photos, or whatever you did in your life, as much as I don`t care about your age. You said something which is incorrect, I asked for an answer and you only throw your stupid story, which, again, I DON`T CARE.

Maybe I will have 70 someday, but I hope God gives me strength to not be like you are.

I know plenty of people who do possibly more in a year than you in your entire life and don`t post shit like you are posting.

And still, you didn`t answer me, and it sucks, because you have all you said, but didn`t even answer one simple question. I feel pity for you, it is sad, is that the only thing you have to show just because you don`t know something? It is easier to say "I`m sorry", "I was wrong", "maybe I should check what I think I know"... So, so sad.

hambre

God almighty, so disgusting behaviour, like, we are having civil and respectful discussions over here and this people come from a hole in the wall to show off... WTF...

lemonade

Veteran
God almighty, so disgusting behaviour, like, we are having civil and respectful discussions over here and this people come from a hole in the wall to show off... WTF...

What do you mean? Who is trying to show off? Honestly I agree with a lot of what you've said in this thread but I don’t understand why you’re getting so angry with other folks? :unsure:

goingrey

I’m not sure where you're sampling this cannabis, but having been in the cannabis scene in both BC, Canada and California, US for over 20 years; I can say that in my experience and geographic area the cannabis industry has become very competitive in the last few years. In both licit and illicit markets.

The tired old notion of “Commercial grows only care about yield grumble grumble” needs to be retired. People in this industry, in my area are darn near willing to try anything to set them apart and have a niche market.

According to this link over a Million pounds of dried cannabis was destroyed/thrown away in Canada lasy year because it didn't sell quickly enough, and was deemed “expired”.
Yeah I haven't been around there in the last few years but from what I've seen online I believe it. Salute for raising the bar!

But this is totally not the case for most of the world. You get what you get or you grow your own.

And even from people in North America you still see complaints about quality. Maybe they just like to complain... Or are in a less competitive market. Obviously what a commercial enterprise cares about is the bottom line.

hambre

What do you mean? Who is trying to show off? Honestly I agree with a lot of what you've said in this thread but I don’t understand why you’re getting so angry with other folks? :unsure:
I am talking about the other guy, that hammerhead whatever his name is. We were having a polite discussion.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"Avoiding heat so that terpenes don’t degrade is essentially just controlling the temperature so that it doesn’t go over 26 degrees. Sometimes, the growing area may be at the right temperature in general, but small pockets of hot air can form above cannabis buds; this causes flowers to lose terpenes in specific areas with hot spots.
This can happen due to various reasons, although the most common is because of HPS (high pressure sodium) lighting, which tends to let off too much heat. If this happens, the parts of the plant closest to the light will end up getting too hot and losing terpenes. Unfortunately, the flowers that usually end up closest to the lights are called the colas; the main stem and usually the most sought-after part of the plant.

Stopping Buds from Losing Aroma & Flavor due to Excess Heat​

A solution to stop this from happening is to precisely calculate the distance between the light and the top of the plants. However, HPS lighting sometimes requires them to be lowered so the plants get enough light. We recommend paying special attention to the amount of distance between both elements, finding a balance between the two to find the perfect spot."

GoatCheese

Veteran
So, I never saw a controlled growroom where its temperature reaches 100ºF (37,7ºC), which makes almost impossible to degrade any terpene. Scroll down in that same article and it shows the boiling temperatures for some terpenes:
Myrcene: 168ºC (330ºF)
Linalool: 198ºC (388,4ºF)
And the list goes on, but I think you got my point.

What you think is generally accepted isn`t usually reality. When you grow and control VPD, for example, you need both air and leaf surface temps, and it never reaches close to 37ºC in a controlled environment, never, nobody would do that. And I am not even taling about those 100ºC and some more you need to evaporate the terpenes.
Yea,maybe leds don’t boil out terps but..

Good part of what produces aroma in cannabis is water soluble - alot of aroma leaches out when you water cure cannabis in room temperature or in your fridge - and when leds (concentrated photon beams) heat the plant tissue and water evaporates from them , the stuff that is soluble in it can evaporate along with the moisture, i would think

“What you think is generally accepted isn`t usually reality.”

Yes,. You said it.;)

hambre

"Avoiding heat so that terpenes don’t degrade is essentially just controlling the temperature so that it doesn’t go over 26 degrees. Sometimes, the growing area may be at the right temperature in general, but small pockets of hot air can form above cannabis buds; this causes flowers to lose terpenes in specific areas with hot spots.
This can happen due to various reasons, although the most common is because of HPS (high pressure sodium) lighting, which tends to let off too much heat. If this happens, the parts of the plant closest to the light will end up getting too hot and losing terpenes. Unfortunately, the flowers that usually end up closest to the lights are called the colas; the main stem and usually the most sought-after part of the plant.

Stopping Buds from Losing Aroma & Flavor due to Excess Heat​

A solution to stop this from happening is to precisely calculate the distance between the light and the top of the plants. However, HPS lighting sometimes requires them to be lowered so the plants get enough light. We recommend paying special attention to the amount of distance between both elements, finding a balance between the two to find the perfect spot."

Hi, sorry, but that article is SO wrong in SO many ways. It appears to be written by some bro science guy. I don`t even now where to start...
First of all, it says temps no more than 26ºC to avoid losing terpenes, which isn`t correct, as cannabis sativa respond to high temperatures exuding terpenes, producing them. This is proven, we talked about it.
Next, it says there is strains with terpenes more volatile than others, duh... Do I need to explain this? It is redundant.
Then it talks about controlling the temperature to CONSERVE terpenes in indoor rooms, which makes sense, because you must control, but at the same time, if you have low temperatures such as 21ºC which isn`t optimal, the plant won`t produce MORE.
They recomend to use BIOFERTILIZERS to force the plant to produce more terpenes because syntethic ones "interfere" with the plant, it doesn`t say HOW... And then goes about flushing to improve taste... Come one, that discussion is from Dark Age. It isn`t true.

And the recommend LED`s to have less heat, but at the same time, people say usually LED tastes lie shit and HPS is the best, bla, bla bla. Plants takes PHOTONS, they don`t care from where, if it is the sun the las GAVITA, the Meijiu cheap LED`s, CMH, LEC, whatever. Same as the fertilizers, plants take what they need, they don`t really care from where it comes, they don`t ask if it is organic or syntethic. It amazes me we still have to discuss this things...

hambre

Yea,maybe leds don’t boil out terps but..

Good part of what produces aroma in cannabis is water soluble - alot of aroma leaches out when you water cure cannabis in room temperature or in your fridge - and when leds (concentrated photon beams) heat the plant tissue and water evaporates from them , the stuff that is soluble in it can evaporate along with the moisture, i would think

“What you think is generally accepted isn`t usually reality.”

Yes,. You said it.;)
What??? LED`s don`t boil terpenes. It is temperature. Do you have your grow temp at 100ºC+? I don`t think so. Maybe at 37ºC? I don`t think so too. Probably never touches even 29ºC... What does it even mean "water cure"??? And as I understand, terpenes are part of the essential oils, which aren`t water soluble at all... So, yes, what you think is generally accepted isn`t usually reality... We are sharing evidence here to make a conclusion and you throw nonsense sentences... Ok.

Do me a favor, and instead of doing this, why don`t you go and use a laser thermometer and check your bud`s temperature??? As I said to the other guy, prove me wrong, I am ok with that. But throwing asumptions don`t make your case better...

GoatCheese

Veteran
What??? LED`s don`t boil terpenes. It is temperature. Do you have your grow temp at 100ºC+? I don`t think so. Maybe at 37ºC? I don`t think so too. Probably never touches even 29ºC... What does it even mean "water cure"??? And as I understand, terpenes are part of the essential oils, which aren`t water soluble at all... So, yes, what you think is generally accepted isn`t usually reality... We are sharing evidence here to make a conclusion and you throw nonsense sentences... Ok.

Do me a favor, and instead of doing this, why don`t you go and use a laser thermometer and check your bud`s temperature??? As I said to the other guy, prove me wrong, I am ok with that. But throwing asumptions don`t make your case better...
I wrote leds evaporate moisture and the water soluble stuff along with it. I said nothing about boiling. STFU and read my post before you start ranting back at me, clown.

You don’t know what water curing is?! You’re not very experienced grower ,are you. But you do talk a lot, f-ing two bit know-it-all.

goingrey

The optimal temperature seems to depend on the strain. And yes, water evaporation is related.

Too bad the full text is not free.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
When all your strains taste the same, or they all turn out low terps, you are most often overfeeding them nutes/additives/whatever. It is preventing terps from forming and/or overpowering the terps being created.

Heat, as mentioned many times, vapes off fragile terpenes at higher temps.
Fragile terpenes are the building blocks of more complex terpenes. Lose the low temp terps and you'll never get the cure complexity terp profiles your strains are capable of. They are not there to polymerize with the more stable terps during the cure and are not created after harvest, so big hole in the nose, taste and power.

Cannabis will not be 'pushed.' Your quality will always suffer. ;)

hambre

I wrote leds evaporate moisture and the water soluble stuff along with it. I said nothing about boiling. STFU and read my post before you start ranting back at me, clown.

You don’t know what water curing is?! You’re not very experienced grower ,are you. But you do talk a lot, f-ing two bit know-it-all.
So I don`t know one thing and I am not experienced? Wow, you sound lie the other "I have 40+ years growing, you don`t so STFY" Hahahaha, God... And you say LED`s evaporate moisture... At the end, it is like talking with crazy people. This is exactly why people leave the forums, a lot of bro`s, and myths, and shit...

GoatCheese

Veteran
So I don`t know one thing and I am not experienced? Wow, you sound lie the other "I have 40+ years growing, you don`t so STFY" Hahahaha, God... And you say LED`s evaporate moisture... At the end, it is like talking with crazy people. This is exactly why people leave the forums, a lot of bro`s, and myths, and shit...
LOL
Water doesn't evaporate at room temps?! Water evaporates even on North Pole, moron.
Along with the leds evaporating moisture off the plant tissue there's also fans moving air in your grow area helping the evaporation.

You feel pretty stupid right now, don't you. ...cheeks and ear lobes getting abit red and tingly, right? Hah-hah

GoatCheese

Veteran
@hambre
When you harvest a cannabis plant and let the buds dry
..what happens to the moisture?
Does the water just drip on the floor and stay there till Kingdom come or..
:rolleyes:

...ooops! I've done fucked up. right, bro. Hah-hah

Last edited:

hambre

LOL
Water doesn't evaporate at room temps?! Water evaporates even on North Pole, moron.
Along with the leds evaporating moisture off the plant tissue there's also fans moving air in your grow area helping the evaporation.

You feel pretty stupid right now, don't you. ...cheeks and ear lobes getting abit red and tingly, right? Hah-hah
Nope, you are putting words on me I didn`t say. You are crazy. You should read everything the guys and me discussed and take your pills. Literally, this is crazy talk, enjoy your pink world with rainbows.

GoatCheese

Veteran
Nope, you are putting words on me I didn`t say. You are crazy. You should read everything the guys and me discussed and take your pills. Literally, this is crazy talk, enjoy your pink world with rainbows.
No. What i mean is that if water evaporates on normal room temperature, it will also evaporate when leds warm the tissue up. You claiming it doesn’t happen is utter horseshit.

lemonade

Veteran
Ahem…:smokey:

All bullshit aside, who in this thread who have been voicing their “opinions” have actual experience running CO2, no CO2, HPS/LED?

Unfortunately because of the legal climate of cannabis until recently, most of what we have to go on is “anecdotal” and “community knowledge” some of which is nonsense IMO but what can ya do? ;)

Thankfully that is slowly changing with more academic research and people like us on these forums experimenting. I just wish more people followed the scientific principle when it comes to growing i.e. only changing one variable at a time.

Anyhow…What I’m getting at is i’m not aware of any academic papers that have explored the relationship between terps/cannabinoids/CO2 in cannabis, so all we have in anecdotal/shared experience to rely on.

IMO mayybe there could be a reduced level of terps with CO2. It isn't what i have personally experienced but I couldn't really tell you without doing a side by side and having the results analyzed. I do know that in my experience (anecdotal again) my plants are much more vigorous and healthy with CO2.

I mean come on if you're serious about growing the best stuff possible you’re going to want full control of the environment. Can we not all agree on that? Seems like common sense that having full control of our environment (along with good genetics ofc) is going to give the best results no?

That means AC/dehums/fans/humidifier and yes CO2, because you cannot have a sealed room without it as I've mentioned.

Ok case closed right guys??

;););)

goingrey

Ahem…:smokey:

All bullshit aside, who in this thread who have been voicing their “opinions” have actual experience running CO2, no CO2, HPS/LED?

Unfortunately because of the legal climate of cannabis until recently, most of what we have to go on is “anecdotal” and “community knowledge” some of which is nonsense IMO but what can ya do? ;)

Thankfully that is slowly changing with more academic research and people like us on these forums experimenting. I just wish more people followed the scientific principle when it comes to growing i.e. only changing one variable at a time.

Anyhow…What I’m getting at is i’m not aware of any academic papers that have explored the relationship between terps/cannabinoids/CO2 in cannabis, so all we have in anecdotal/shared experience to rely on.

IMO mayybe there could be a reduced level of terps with CO2. It isn't what i have personally experienced but I couldn't really tell you without doing a side by side and having the results analyzed. I do know that in my experience (anecdotal again) my plants are much more vigorous and healthy with CO2.

I mean come on if you're serious about growing the best stuff possible you’re going to want full control of the environment. Can we not all agree on that? Seems like common sense that having full control of our environment (along with good genetics ofc) is going to give the best results no?

That means AC/dehums/fans/humidifier and yes CO2, because you cannot have a sealed room without it as I've mentioned.

Ok case closed right guys??

;););)
Having full control of the growing environment doesn't automatically result in optimum quality. Sure, it gives the possibility to achieve that, but then we need to know how to control it. And it seems like we don't, so the case is wide open.

CO2 is required for photosynthesis. It is not the enemy, it is a necessity. In a sealed room it needs to be provided from a tank as none is coming in with intake air. That is not in question.

The question is will it at some concentration cause the end product (flowers) to have a lower percentage of aroma compounds, even if overall plant health is good.

Here are two papers that discuss CO2 but neither directly from this POV: