What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Co2 is it really necessary?

airplane

Recently have read stuff on co2, which is subspost to help "bud" plant is this true" Please explane how co2 work in accordance with plant growth, If used what are the projected results". Informatio is greatly appriceated. Thought I would ask folks that use it. THANKS:tiphat: AND where would be the best/cheapest places to get "materials"

I

Iron_Lion

You should go look up a grow guide or do a search instead of posting 100 new threads on noob topics that have been discussed to death.
If you dont know the basics and have never grown a crop or a few, you're not at the level to be worrying about CO2.

airplane

Sorry, I do use internet and other resources, But the old saying go "TWO HEADS ARE BETTER THAN ONE" I was just asking oponions and amybe some helpful dialog>

Adrift

Veteran
without getting into to much detail, HELL YESS co2 is necessary....

atleast for a commercial size space.... if your growing in your closet then its not a must.

but if you have 10 lights plus running. i really hope your running co2 or its ur loss!

later :joint:

co2 is supplied by normal air. unless your grow room is completely enclosed, there is no need to provide co2.

as to iron lion, don't forget you were a newbie too, and i am sure you asked some "noob" questions as well.

I

Iron_Lion

co2 is supplied by normal air. unless your grow room is completely enclosed, there is no need to provide co2.

as to iron lion, don't forget you were a newbie too, and i am sure you asked some "noob" questions as well.

thanks for the negative rep douche.

All I said was do a search, you'll find more info in the mega thread then you will get in this one.

It's all a matter of opinion anyways, and that's why noobs should educate themselves on a subject instead of just taking the word of what some random person on the internet says is right or wrong. Always consider the source.

Last edited:

Bunz

You sound like you still are a noob. Perhaps you should know what you are talking about before offering advice. Hows the saying go........"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool, then to open it and remove all doubt." Heed the advice NOOB!!!!!

"Normal" air has a CO2 content of around 350-450 ppm. Plants can use up to 1,500 ppm and the additional CO2 will greatly enhance the growth of your plants. It is recommended that your room be "sealed" if using CO2,as the plants don't need fresh air because CO2 is providing your plants with exactly what they need. However you shouldn't worry about the additional CO2 until you have your room dialed in.

HTH

Bunz :D

I always hated the snobby "do a search noob" posts I used to get, I too am not good at searching I can never find what I am looking for even in my own house! Just give the answer, why bother to post that kind of stuff if you don't want to give a real answer don't give one at all!

ok so yes CO2 is necessary for all plant growth. Now is it necessary to have supplemental CO2? No! As long as you have good air circulation with new air (not intaking and exhausting the same air from the same room (some people really do this, I guess some may not have a choice with a tent in an apartment for instance) you should be ok. It is more important to have adequate lighting and air circulation than supplemental CO2, but if you have a sealed room or don't exhaust the air almost as quick as you intake it (if you exhaust the air too quick added CO2 won't do you no good anyway) then added CO2 can be helpful. I have gotten fine results without it.

T

TribalSeeds

So, if a noob were to close their room with little air exchanged, should they still hold off on co2 until the room is dialed in?
My room is closed with an AC and dehumidifier, not completely sealed, the garage doors both have cracks. My growth has been somewhat slow, but my plants are alive and growing. Although they need a lot of food.
What are some side effects I would start to notice with low co2 in the room? What would the stunted growth look like? Are we talking just slow or are we talking retarded growth? What are the signs?

M

MrSterling

If you're not working some commercial op with a bunch of lights, it is not worth your money or effort to add a CO2 system. My opinion is if you need to ask whether or not CO2 is really necessary, it's not necessary for your grow. If you need it, you should have the experience and grow size to know you need it. I'm sure there will be disagreements regarding my statement, but there are also a lot of people here on the ic proffering personal theory as scientific fact.

IronLion is correct about the search feature - it exists for a reason, so that the same question isn't asked and answered by the same people dozens of times.

Let's keep it civil though. All this "noob" crap and taking the piss out on each other doesn't do us any good. We learn more in cooperation than conflict.

edit: It's been a long time since I've read up on it, but I believe CO2 use is most effective for vegetative growth. I seem to remember users with CO2 saying it was a waste for flowering.

moses wellfleet

Veteran
without getting into to much detail, HELL YESS co2 is necessary....

atleast for a commercial size space.... if your growing in your closet then its not a must.

but if you have 10 lights plus running. i really hope your running co2 or its ur loss!

later :joint:
agreed... fuck yes there are many advantages to my co2 enriched sealed room... helped me big time in flower, yields increased to over 2 grams per watt.

but all parameters have to be optimum for co2 effective. get it right and you wont look back!

T

TribalSeeds

Yes, if you dont have enough air exchange you will NEED co2!
My plants got big enough to the point where they sucked up all the co2 in the room and almost died. It started with slow growth, then signs of heat stress, then overwater and over fert. I opened up the room and they perked right back up and dried out.
I just picked up a Sentinel co2 gen and controller.

moses wellfleet

Veteran
yes. plants like c02 like we like oxygen. the more..the better.
i always keep co2 levels at 1000ppm i have seen plenty of reports from other growers that 1500ppm is a waste of gas... my own experience showed no benefit from co2 levels higher than 1000ppm.

A

ak-51

So how do you know when you're "dialed in"?

I'm to the point that I have my system down and my yield is pretty predictable with the strains that are familiar to me. I know the girls I run pretty well, I haven't had any surprises in several runs. Is that dialed in enough?

moses wellfleet

Veteran
So how do you know when you're "dialed in"?

I'm to the point that I have my system down and my yield is pretty predictable with the strains that are familiar to me. I know the girls I run pretty well, I haven't had any surprises in several runs. Is that dialed in enough?
i can only tell you that i had co2 running for 6 months before i noticed a difference but my nutes were wrong so i experimented with different soil mixes and then 1 day... BANG... now i am a believer!

like i said earlier all factors have to be right before the co2 can do its work, definitely not a cure for a sick room... i hope you get it right mate!