What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Co2 is it really necessary?

Tony Aroma

Let's Go - Two Smokes!
Veteran
Plants also need oxygen, since they respire just like we do. Respiration involves taking in oxygen and releasing CO2. When the lights are on is when photosynthesis occurs, which is just the opposite of respiration. During the day, plants take in CO2 and release oxygen. The net effect is more oxygen released and more CO2 absorbed.

Neo 420

Veteran
I noticed when using CO2 the ladies use more mutes. I also run the temps around 78 when using CO2. They can handle a lil more when heat when proper CO2 levels are reached...

D

DHF

In over 20 yrs at weedsites I`ve seen 1......1 grower that killed it with CO2 supplements in a sealed room and it was Krusty the krazy ass klown growin a dialed cut from Canada that had lateral limbs the size of my arms , and the top colas were bigger and thicker than 3 litre coke bottles.......but.....

The ONLY way CO2 supplements work is with higher ambient temps during lights on to speed up nutrient uptake and transpiration , and Krusty ran his rooms lights on in the mid-high 80`s , with spaghetti tubing draped all around the big ass plants comin from multiple tanks on controllers that delivered the gas up top continuously cuz it`s heavier than air and falls down through the plants to be absorbed and and metabolized for increased foliage and budsite formation.....that said......

Heath Robinson showed me way back in the day about major air exchange twice per minute with active intakes and exhaust scrubber combo`s , and utilized the ambient CO2 levels in the air we breathe with dialed results , cooler room temps , less transpiration and more controlled nutrient uptake FTW......but....

Instead of normal CO2 levels in the 350-450 ppm range , where I grew in a smog ridden metro area with many steel and pipe factories my ppm`s stayed in the 750 range 24/7/365 with air exchange twice per minute.......and....

It`s been noted for several yrs that pot can`t metabolize and use more than 900 ppm`s during lights on for optimum plant growth , so giving my plants 750 ppm`s across the board lights on AND off kept my plants healthy .....now....

Plants eat CO2 during lights on and shit out what they didn`t metabolize during lights off , along with excess humidity is transpired from nutrient uptake in that circadian rythym of suckin juice and sweatin it out under optimum conditions ....How do I know this ?......

After Heath`s suggestion of air exchange twice per minute , I ordered CO2 monitors that hung in the rooms like the digital thermometer/hygometers , and it took less than a week to figure out that relative humidity and CO2 levels spiked during lights off even with the major air exchange , so where was it coming from ?...outta the leaves cuz temps were kept within 10 degree variables so as to not produce any unneeded condensation from cooler lights off temps......

Anyways.....Plants eat CO2 and shit out Oxygen....We eat Oxygen and shit out CO2.....That`s how life is able to exist on planet earth.....and yes....

CO2 supplements are needed in sealed rooms , but air exchange twice per minute rocked mine and many many growbro`s over the yrs with dialed results usin ambient levels in the available air.....

Without dialing every aspect of your room`s environment along with increased ambient room temps as well as adequate watts per sq ft , CO2 supplements are just expensive toys and unneeded IME......but....

Got many old head Med Bro`s that swear by it and won`t grow without it......so....opinions vary.....but again......

Proven results are what matters in the long run....

Peace....DHF......:ying:.....

250wscrogger

It's worth it for bigger rooms that require a/c for cooling.

I'm able to keep my rooms under 80f lights on with exhausting right now (only 5k) so I can't really justify the greater overhead cost of running an a/c and c02.

If I were running a 10kw flowering room which would require a 3 ton A/C for cooling it would be sealed with 800ppm co2...I couldn't imagine running 10k + with intake exhaust....:laughing:

D

DHF

It's worth it for bigger rooms that require a/c for cooling.

I'm able to keep my rooms under 80f lights on with exhausting right now (only 5k) so I can't really justify the greater overhead cost of running an a/c and c02.

If I were running a 10kw flowering room which would require a 3 ton A/C for cooling it would be sealed with 800ppm co2...I couldn't imagine running 10k + with intake exhaust....:laughing:
Krusty ran 10 KW warehouses with CO2 AND without it 250 , and he noticed yield didn`t increase that much compared to providing perfect environment...

He also ran hybrid rooms with A/C AND exhausted the warehouse environment all during lights off to get rid of spiking RH and CO2 levels that helped waaaaay more than the gas supplements themselves ....but....

As I said above....Sealed rooms require CO2 supplements , and bigger rooms that require large ton a/c`s do better with lower ppm tanks and controllers IME......but...

Increased yields and faster finish times is but a myth in the growin world , and givin CO2 supplements in bigger sealed areas is paramount in importance just to supply what they`re NOT gettin from major air exchange.....so....

Air exchange twice per minute with lung areas work better with smaller flip rooms and keep a/c useage to a minimum except in deep summer.....

Peace....DHF.....:ying:.....

Farm Hero

Like folks said, you really need a large bloom operation before needing CO2. Hydroponics seem to benefit more from CO2 enrichment because the nutrient levels can be boosted on demand and you know exactly how much the plants are using via ppm/EC meter.

Also as stated, some plants benefit more from CO2 than others, the right cut and CO2 makes a huge difference. The plants nearly grow to fast, the idea is to get larger plants faster, which produces more flowers quicker and enrichment helps.

The temperatures need to be warmer than normal, which keeping a warmer room usually isn't to difficult as heat is usually in abudant supply in sealed rooms.

Good luck with your grow.

cateros

CO2 is necessary for all plant growth. Now is it necessary to have supplemental CO2? No! As long as you have good air circulation with new air (not intaking and exhausting the same air from the same room (some people really do this, I guess some may not have a choice with a tent in an apartment for instance) you should be ok. It is more important to have adequate lighting and air circulation than supplemental CO2, but if you have a sealed room or don't exhaust the air almost as quick as you intake it (if you exhaust the air too quick added CO2 won't do you no good anyway) then added CO2 can be helpful. I have gotten fine results without it.
So as far as running a sealed environment room and supplementing co2 I know at a temp of 84-86 is when they are actually able to use the 1500ppms mentioned earlier as the max they can use my question is does anyone know of a graph that outlines what max co2 by ppm should be based on temps , I only ask as I know the 1500ppm they can absorb is only due to higher temps causing there stomata to open to a greater degree , so really hope I can find some type of graph that show what max ppms a plant can use based on temp mainly as I am know using a 550w led panel and 300w led panel in a sealed room and I don't want to waste co2 by running ppms of 1500 at a temp of 78-80 if the plants aren't going to be able to use it all.

moses wellfleet

Veteran
So as far as running a sealed environment room and supplementing co2 I know at a temp of 84-86 is when they are actually able to use the 1500ppms mentioned earlier as the max they can use my question is does anyone know of a graph that outlines what max co2 by ppm should be based on temps , I only ask as I know the 1500ppm they can absorb is only due to higher temps causing there stomata to open to a greater degree , so really hope I can find some type of graph that show what max ppms a plant can use based on temp mainly as I am know using a 550w led panel and 300w led panel in a sealed room and I don't want to waste co2 by running ppms of 1500 at a temp of 78-80 if the plants aren't going to be able to use it all.
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=221893&highlight=carbon+dioxide

Azeotrope

Veteran
78 - 80F and 750-900ppm As far as anyone really needs to go. Only worth it in a sealed environment.

Latest posts

Latest posts