What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Cloning with Root Nubs or How to Root Hard to Clone Plants

slowandeasy

Veteran
I bet the best way to do this is to paint on a lil gel and wait a few days, then clone as normal. Not waiting for swelling or nubs. I also hypothesize that if you make a slit into the branch before applying the gel may get you good results too. IDK. Gotta let the mums grow for a few weeks before anything else is done.

I agree, I did this on some extra clones and waited a really long time before chopping. But the Root Tech was too strong anyhow. I get clones to root fast anyhow, but light coat and not waiting too long might have better results than waiting. The store bought gel is stronger, so I think using less and cloning sooner is a good idea as well.

smokefrogg

Veteran
that's a pretty cool suggestion *Lola*, if and when i run across something incredibly hard to clone i'll remember this tidbit, great thinking outside the box =)

slowandeasy

Veteran
lol slow, thus the title of the thread "How to root HARD to clone plants" :D

Sometimes it is the person's fault that the plant is hard to clone. If you know what you are doing and have the perfect environment, cloning is much easier...no matter what the strain is. I agree it might be good for hard to clone plants, there are some out there for sure. I have a Sour Bubble, for some it is really hard to clone..once in awhile it will take a little longer. I usually get roots in 6 to 7 days on all of my strains.

For me, the store bought gel is too strong, but it did work. The clone is vegging right now, but is behind one I took at the same time without Nubs, and the KY mix did nothing really. I love the concept, and I can see some advantages...but I do not have any really hard to clone plants. Thanks for sharing!

I slathered on lots of clonex, on some PK. And it totally deformed the stem and the leaf stem near by that touched it. It looks like the stem developed a skin condition. Not root nubs, just bulbous calluses! So just say no to using clonex for this experiment. I'm off to the cheap drugstore for the biggest tube of KY they got! The store is in the ghetto, so for sure they will think I'm on the game. Lol. Better than them thinking I grow weed!

*Lola*

My first proposal of the year :D yippie

Please submit complete financial records to my lawyer, we'll talk after

Now I ain't saying I'm a gold digger ,...... . hahahahahahahahaha

I don't think that stem deformity is gonna make the cut bad. I am sure it will root fine even though it looks deformed. I would try it anyway.

I never have much trouble doing this, it works every time for me. Must be the KY jelly and the cheap ass Miracle Grow rooting powder I got hahahahahah.

good luck all.

Once again I must say paint em, wait 10 days and stick em... should be fine.

slowandeasy

Veteran
I slathered on lots of clonex, on some PK. And it totally deformed the stem and the leaf stem near by that touched it. It looks like the stem developed a skin condition. Not root nubs, just bulbous calluses! So just say no to using clonex for this experiment. I'm off to the cheap drugstore for the biggest tube of KY they got! The store is in the ghetto, so for sure they will think I'm on the game. Lol. Better than them thinking I grow weed!

The deformed stem will still get roots. It did for me, but do not expect roots overnight. I get roots in 5-6 days in Coco, so by the time you lather the stem and wait a week, then plant...I have a cup full of roots. Good luck, I hope it works for you. Unless your strain is hard to root, it is a waste of time...but a really good idea.

D

Duplicate

Well the air-layering didn't work for me. I did stick it in soil though just to see what would happen. Not expecting anything though. I think this had to do with my methods more than anything though. It was very interesting to see how the pant reacted to the clonex. I had applied on top of a supercrop as well so the ensuing swelling and blistering was unreal lol.

slowhand1

Wow! I tried your advice about painting clones with clonex before cutting. I usely get 50 -70% sucess. This method was 100% and less time for roots to appeer. It felt right. Great post.

onhigherground

Hi Lola! I do a similar thing, but I gently crush the stem of a quite large future cutting (12 ") with a pair of small flat pliers first. Then I've done the slop on technique, with and w/o a damp rapid rooter wrapped with that sticky plastic wrap, both work. The worst that happens is I forget where the cut was and then it is just as tho it had been supercropped !
The ones in rr that I ignore longest, 10 days to 2 weeks.. have actual roots when I do cut them. The ones I fiddle with, adding water, etc... do less well. This is a cool idea if u can only have so many "plants", cuz a mom with five future plants is still ONE plant...

onhigherground

btw, slow & easy.... how are u getting such great results in your coco cups.. I also am all cocofied, fluffed & rinsed & charged, and vegging, flowering plants LOVE it. butttt, clones, hmfffph! I try too hard , I'm sure, need cloning for dummies....sorry Lola, gotta pick all available brains alla time. wheeee

Pinetar

I tried this on my slowest rooter, it has literally gone nine weeks in a rootriot without showing. I really thought I had lost her that time. Seemed to help I have roots on three of them after two weeks. Will try this again thanks for the tip.

Sforza

Veteran
I read this older thread a while ago, but I thought about it recently so I found it by searching for KY Jelly.

I decided to try a hybrid approach, mixing Clonex Gel with Rooting Powder. Some in this thread seemed to find the Clonex itself was a little too strong. Also, since I had the Rabid Rooter Plugs, I decided to use them to hold the rooting powder/Clonex Gel mix and to give the roots something to grow into, more like a traditional air layer.

We'll see how it goes. If it goes to shit, I probably won't be posting much except to say it didn't work for me. It it works a treat, I'll post pictures of the result.

Unlike a traditional air layer, I didn't cover the plug with plastic to hold the moisture. Where I live, it is naturally very humid, so that should keep the plugs from drying out completely. Also, almost every evening and morning, I mist the plants, using a very dilute fertilizer mixture, for foliar feeding. So the plugs should get damp from the mist. The Rapid Rooter plugs seem to hold a lot of water, so hopefully, by not covering them with plastic, they will not get too soggy and cause the stem to rot.

So, without further ado, a few photos of what I did this afternoon.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Latest posts

Latest posts